Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dominion301
Topic Author

WestJet Suspending YQB, YFC, YQM, YYG & YQY and Significantly Reducing YHZ & YYT

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 pm

I figured this warranted its own thread outside of the huge WestJet thread.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 45020.html

With today's announcement, all flights to and from Moncton, Fredericton, Sydney, Charlottetown and Quebec City will be discontinued as of November 2. A return to service date is unknown at this time.

The plan is to return to all of these airports eventually post-COVID-19. AC are now no longer alone with station closures.

SpaceshipDC10

Re: WestJet Suspending YQB, YFC, YQM, YYG & YQY and Significantly Reducing YHZ & YYT

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:07 pm

All in all, not really a big surprise. We'll see when post.civid will be.

Skywatcher

Re: WestJet Suspending YQB, YFC, YQM, YYG & YQY and Significantly Reducing YHZ & YYT

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:11 pm

I guess having a strict bubble in Atlantic Canada has its drawbacks.

dr1980

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

While I do very much feel for the employees impacted by this, I think the public benefits of the bubble still far outweigh the public impacts of having airline services cut that very few were likely using.
Dave/CYHZ

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I guess having a strict bubble in Atlantic Canada has its drawbacks.

In terms of air service, I guess. In terms of minimal COVID-19 impact, I'd say the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. We'll see if the current spike in NB, spreads or fizzles out...hopefully the latter.

hollywoodcory

Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Ironically YYC-YHZ is actually an increase over what they currently fly (once daily).

yzfElite

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:12 pm

WS has a lot of the VFR traffic in and out of Atlantic Canada that must be decimated due to COVID and already has significant decreases in the winter months. Keeping a few routes to carry oil workers via YYT/YHZ makes sense. It is unfortunate, but being a YYT native unable to visit home means most regular traffic is at zero as long as the bubble stands.

raylee67

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:46 pm

The suspended routes are mostly leisure routes. And winter is low season for those routes anyway. We basically have a double travel ban on these areas. Canada is off-limit to non-Canadian and the Atlantic region is off-limit to any Canadian outside of the region. I miss the lobsters and the scallops from the region...

We really need rapid testing set up at airports, testing everyone at departure airport and at arrival airport, to rebuild confidence of the public on travel. Even if this only restores the level of travel to 50% of 2019, that is still a great help to the communities and the travel industry.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:04 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Ironically YYC-YHZ is actually an increase over what they currently fly (once daily).

Even stranger is that's more frequency than is currently offered by WS on YOW-YYC and YUL-YYC combined, which are each 4x weekly. :spit:

yzfElite

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Even stranger is that's more frequency than is currently offered by WS on YOW-YYC and YUL-YYC combined, which are each 4x weekly. :spit:

GIven that I suspect a lot of the traffic from YHZ/YYT is currently routing to the Wood Buffalo area as essential workers, it's not a huge surprise. No need to fly a bunch of half full YYT/YHZ - YYZ/YOW/YUL routes if they're all headed to YYC/YEG anyway.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:24 pm

yzfElite wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

GIven that I suspect a lot of the traffic from YHZ/YYT is currently routing to the Wood Buffalo area as essential workers, it's not a huge surprise. No need to fly a bunch of half full YYT/YHZ - YYZ/YOW/YUL routes if they're all headed to YYC/YEG anyway.

True that.

Any word about YDF & YQX or are those nowadays summer-seasonal WS destinations?

WassbiKhalifa

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm

My wife is from YHZ and we currently live in ATL. For the first time in over 20 years she didn't get to go home for a summer visit. And her mom is sitting in her bubbled house going crazy because she can't see any family. Hopefully it opens up soon. The cure can't be worse than the sickness.

yzfElite

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

True that.

Any word about YDF & YQX or are those nowadays summer-seasonal WS destinations?

I could be wrong, but both weren't restarted after their initial covid cancellations and both are now due to currently resume in April 2021.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:17 pm

WassbiKhalifa wrote:
My wife is from YHZ and we currently live in ATL. For the first time in over 20 years she didn't get to go home for a summer visit. And her mom is sitting in her bubbled house going crazy because she can't see any family. Hopefully it opens up soon. The cure can't be worse than the sickness.

As a Canadian, I don't want swaths of people coming into the country anytime soon. The USA's abysmal numbers speak for themselves. We're already tightening things up here again so that the increasing numbers level off before ours become like the USA.

YYZ will be lucky to break 7 million pax next year. YVR, YUL and YYC will be lucky to break 3 million, YEG will be lucky to break 1.5 million, while YOW, YWG and YHZ will be lucky to break 1 million.

izbtmnhd

Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

As a Canadian, I don't want swaths of people coming into the country anytime soon. The USA's abysmal numbers speak for themselves. We're already tightening things up here again so that the increasing numbers level off before ours become like the USA.

YYZ will be lucky to break 7 million pax next year. YVR, YUL and YYC will be lucky to break 3 million, YEG will be lucky to break 1.5 million, while YOW, YWG and YHZ will be lucky to break 1 million.

Yesterday Canada had 4000 cases. The US total was 51000. Adjusted for population, there's very little difference between the countries now. Also, US cases are slowly rising while Canada's are surging. This is why, I believe, Trudeau is backing off a bit on travelers crossing the border as Canada may be on unfavorable side of total cases (adjusted) very soon.

Not great news for Atlantic Canada but it's hard to think many up there will be need this service over the winter.

brilondon

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

Absolutely agree with your statement. If the U.S. gets covid-19 under control then at some point in the future we should start having more flights.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

flyyul

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

Please stop with your predictions. We know you’re terrified of COVID-19 but you seem completely unaware of the massive collateral damage that comes with a narrative of keeping our borders shut. I think you need to think a bit more holistically about the future of our country.

yzfElite

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:34 pm

flyyul wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

Please stop with your predictions. We know you’re terrified of COVID-19 but you seem completely unaware of the massive collateral damage that comes with a narrative of keeping our borders shut. I think you need to think a bit more holistically about the future of our country.

Atlantic Canada's fall convention season has been lost and aside from a Xmas rush of family visitors, there's really not much that happens again until next summer's tourist season in terms of economic activity related to travel. In fact, shutting down for the winter could increase economic activity in that region because people won't go south for the winter or for their vacations spending elsewhere. Atlantic Canada are probably now smart to keep their bubble until next spring, despite the fact that I'd like to go visit my parents or have them come visit me at some point!

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:39 pm

WassbiKhalifa wrote:
The cure can't be worse than the sickness.

Is it, though? The population of Atlantic Canada is roughly comparable to the state of Kansas. Kansas reported 5,307 confirmed COVID cases in the last seven days.

flyyul

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:51 pm

yzfElite wrote:
flyyul wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Atlantic Canada's fall convention season has been lost and aside from a Xmas rush of family visitors, there's really not much that happens again until next summer's tourist season in terms of economic activity related to travel. In fact, shutting down for the winter could increase economic activity in that region because people won't go south for the winter or for their vacations spending elsewhere. Atlantic Canada are probably now smart to keep their bubble until next spring, despite the fact that I'd like to go visit my parents or have them come visit me at some point!

That’s a good one. Having closed borders leads to greater economic activity.

Skywatcher

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm

The 4,000 Canadian new cases reported yesterday was inflated by the fact that many provinces reported 3 day totals after our long weekend (Canadian thanksgiving) in one day. The numbers are for sure increasing but today's or last friday's numbers would be more indicative to compare the 2 countries. It's been generally notably worse (roughly 2.5 times per capita lately) in the states for the last few months.

yzfElite

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

flyyul wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
flyyul wrote:

That’s a good one. Having closed borders leads to greater economic activity.

Generally no, but when you're Atlantic Canada and you're keeping money at home, not missing out on the tourism season, keeping pressure off the health care system and knowing you have strong Ministers in Ottawa who will send more money, I argue that in the medium term, it could be economically better for the Atlantic provinces. I get that it goes against all conventional thinking.

tphuang

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 pm

flyyul wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

The borders are closed because overwhelming majority of Canadians are against opening it. Don't blame the messenger.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:20 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
The 4,000 Canadian new cases reported yesterday was inflated by the fact that many provinces reported 3 day totals after our long weekend (Canadian thanksgiving) in one day. The numbers are for sure increasing but today's or last friday's numbers would be more indicative to compare the 2 countries. It's been generally notably worse (roughly 2.5 times per capita lately) in the states for the last few months.

Exactly and two months ago the gap was close to 10x..

izbtmnhd wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

Yesterday Canada had 4000 cases. The US total was 51000. Adjusted for population, there's very little difference between the countries now. Also, US cases are slowly rising while Canada's are surging. This is why, I believe, Trudeau is backing off a bit on travelers crossing the border as Canada may be on unfavorable side of total cases (adjusted) very soon.

Not great news for Atlantic Canada but it's hard to think many up there will be need this service over the winter.

Big difference. Like Skywatcher said, yesterday was after the Thanksgiving long weekend in Canada. 1/3 of the provinces don't report stats on weekends and Ontario doesn't report on stat holidays, so the real number yesterday was closer to 2,000. Multiply that by 9 and the USA should have 18,000 cases yesterday. So the USA is still almost 3x worse than Canada's COVID-19 stats.

The thing is in a normal winter, after October 31, traffic to/from & within Atlantic Canada falls off a cliff. It's a highly seasonal market. So seeing WS cut markets that have low demand at that time of year in this environment is no surprise.

777luver

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:21 pm

tphuang wrote:
flyyul wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

The borders are closed because overwhelming majority of Canadians are against opening it. Don't blame the messenger.

With the US. What about intl destinations? The feds have shown very little mercy for airlines which has decimated the industry. And no bailouts 7 months in. Pretty embarrassing and pathetic when you consider almost if not all the other major airlines in the world have received bailouts. Yet Canadian airlines have recieved ZERO help. And the feds aren’t showing signs of letting quarantines ease, cases are still coming in. Oh but you can travel to certain provinces within Canada and not quarantine. Yeah that makes a lot of sense....rolls eyes

9252fly

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 pm

777luver wrote:
tphuang wrote:
flyyul wrote:

With the US. What about intl destinations? The feds have shown very little mercy for airlines which has decimated the industry. And no bailouts 7 months in. Pretty embarrassing and pathetic when you consider almost if not all the other major airlines in the world have received bailouts. Yet Canadian airlines have recieved ZERO help.

And the feds aren’t showing signs of letting quarantines ease, cases are still coming in. Oh but you can travel to certain provinces within Canada and not quarantine. Yeah that makes a lot of sense....rolls eyes

Think of Canada's decision to allow its airlines to defer refunds as a bail-out.

The lack of restrictions for domestic travel is a type of bubble.

rampbro

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 am

777luver wrote:
Oh but you can travel to certain provinces within Canada and not quarantine. Yeah that makes a lot of sense....rolls eyes

That's up to the Provinces, not the Feds.

tphuang

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 am

777luver wrote:
With the US. What about intl destinations? The feds have shown very little mercy for airlines which has decimated the industry. And no bailouts 7 months in. Pretty embarrassing and pathetic when you consider almost if not all the other major airlines in the world have received bailouts. Yet Canadian airlines have recieved ZERO help. And the feds aren’t showing signs of letting quarantines ease, cases are still coming in. Oh but you can travel to certain provinces within Canada and not quarantine. Yeah that makes a lot of sense....rolls eyes

I made no comment about anything other than the US/Canada border closures. Please take out your displeasure on someone else.

izbtmnhd

Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:06 am

Skywatcher wrote:

That’s a fair point. Although looking at any 7 day average trend shows, while the US generally has always had worse case numbers, Canada is rapidly catching up.

Oct 13 (7 day average)

US Cases — 51677
Canada Cases — 2223

Aug 13 (7 day average)

US Cases — 54803
Canada Cases —- 381

The Atlantic Canada bubble makes. So does keeping a limited travel ban between the US and Canada. Both sides are having issues now.

continental004

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 am

Situations like this make me feel grateful and happy to live in the United States of America where we embrace freedom and liberty and can travel interstate without many complications.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 am

flyyul wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

I'm merely being a realist and am completely aware of the even bigger damage a wide open border would cause in the current environment. Would it be amazing that what's loaded for next summer actually happens in its entirety or the expanded December/January schedules fully happening? Of course. Will it? Highly improbable I'm afraid. Otherwise why would your competitor continually delay returning to the skies?

Even if 7 billion people can somehow get vaccinated with a workable vaccine in the next 9 months, the adversity will linger. Hey, I get that your industry is hurting worse than most, and could use a helping hand(out). I sympathize with that. 99% of the time I'm on your side with what you say on here.

ac190

Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 am

continental004 wrote:
Situations like this make me feel grateful and happy to live in the United States of America where we embrace freedom and liberty and can travel interstate without many complications.

Situations like this make me feel grateful and happy to live in Canada where we embrace the will to live without COVID-19 and save our fellow citizens.

As a Atlantic Canadian and someone who is directly impacted by this, I still support the Atlantic Bubble.

"Significantly reducing" YHZ & YYT. Not really. Just dropping 4 flights total out of YHZ that barely had anyone on them. This is the downtime for YHZ anyways, we knew there was going to be reductions just like there is every year.

This is just Westjet trying to send the government a message about bailing them out, which as a Westjet employee I don't support the government doing it. From contracting employees out to screwing over the pilots and soon the FA's, management is just racing to the bottom. Why doesn't ONEX shell out some money?

WassbiKhalifa

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:20 am

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

She's a Canadian as well. How would you feel if you were in her shoes? Her father died last year and she hasn't seen her mother since last September. Bottom line is if we all stay locked up in our houses for two years economies will fail and we won't have a need for Airliners.net except to talk about when we used to fly back in the day. Perhaps they could open the border to native Canadians and give them a test or maybe a hotel stay upon arrival to make sure they are clear.

alo2yyz

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 am

WassbiKhalifa wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

She's a Canadian as well. How would you feel if you were in her shoes? Her father died last year and she hasn't seen her mother since last September. Bottom line is if we all stay locked up in our houses for two years economies will fail and we won't have a need for Airliners.net except to talk about when we used to fly back in the day. Perhaps they could open the border to native Canadians and give them a test or maybe a hotel stay upon arrival to make sure they are clear.

The border currently is, and always has been, open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and Indigenous persons registered under the Indian Act (i.e., "status Indians").
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/canadians-canadiens-eng.html

Your wife would, of course, be subject to the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

But there is nothing stopping her from entering the country, by land, air or sea.
Last edited by alo2yyz on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 am

WassbiKhalifa wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

I sympathize completely as I'm in almost the same pair of shoes as your wife. My aunt in the USA passed a few weeks ago and I couldn't attend her funeral. Your wife would still be permitted to come to Canada (even move back to Canada), if she were (ironically given the discussion here) to fly it would be the easiest way to enter, BUT she'd still have to follow the 14 day self-quarantine rule. Likewise, I couldn't have gone to my aunt's funeral even if I was able to quarantine on the way back, BUT some states have their own 14 day quarantine entry rule, including the one she lived in.

b787900

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 am

ac190 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

Situations like this make me feel grateful and happy to live in Canada where we embrace the will to live without COVID-19 and save our fellow citizens.

It is his opinion to which he is fully entitled. It's funny (and truly sad actually) when a Canadian bashes the US, it is totally normal and should be accepted by the American posters. When it's the other way around, my fellow Canadians all bend out of shape and feel incredibly hurt and attacked. Double standard and hypocrisy at its finest. Canada isn't superior. Every single day I see multiple people not wearing masks in busy public places. I guess that is how the people here embrace the will to live without COVID-19 and save our fellow citizens. Right pal?

A good read in my view: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5013802

ACDC8

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 am

tphuang wrote:

Huh? Was there a vote on that? The borders are closed because the Government says so on advice of the National/Provincial Health Officers, has nothing to do with what we want or do not want.

Anywho, I'm all for opening them up.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

b787900

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:51 am

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

It is appalling to see just how many people on here seem to show no mercy or care toward those who were unable to see their loved ones overseas or are greatly reliant on travel to the US (or via US) one way or another. Canada should reopen its border to all international travelers. There is a smart and safe way of doing so. Testing before departure to Canada and once again upon arrival, a limited 5 day quarantine and mandatory health screening on 14th day of stay, could all be implemented. In fact, the U.K. is currently exploring some of these ideas. Another option would be, require all travelers to take a test a week or two prior to travelling to Canada in addition to taking it before departure and upon arrival in Canada. These methods would ensure that the vast majority of travelers coming into Canada are safe. Yes, some may still slip through, no test is perfect. However, blanket quarantine and travel bans are ineffective and sooner or later, will entirely decimate the Canadian economy. Also, I keep hearing talk about US numbers yet no mention of Europe's or South America's numbers where the virus is raging uncontrollably at the moment. Or is it just the US travelers than need to be kept away? This interactive illustration below shows the actual situation in the world, not what some people desperately want to believe. The map also shows that for whatever reason, the less developed the country or region is, the lower the infection rate per 100,000.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -maps.html

I suppose I am proud to be one of the "few" Canadians who fully supports reopening of the borders and welcoming tourists and travelers from all countries. Our government must make the right steps to make it happen. There was a lot that was done wrong with regards to containing the virus here in Canada. It wasn't executed perfectly. The much larger case count in the US, Europe and South America are all reflective upon many different factors. Canada's lower number is not at all a reflection of supposedly "better" policies. Factors such as: total population, population density, business connectivity, culture, economic activity/progress, freedom of movement, availability of services & tourist attractions, even down to how social people actually are or their desire to see places, etc, all play a major factor in reasons why COVID-19 spreads faster in some places and less in others. It isn't just the government polices. Keeping the country closed to all non essential traffic doesn't do much good in the long run. Despite the borders being shut to nonessential visitors, the virus is ranging within Canada as it is. This clearly indicates that the international visitors/tourists aren't the culprit. Besides, a greater percentage of people in Canada choose not to wear face masks compared to the US population. Yet my fellow citizens love to brag about being the "best" or most "caring" even when facts don't support the reality. I am seriously getting tired (and embarrassed) of my fellow citizen constantly acting like they're superior. Besides, if government policies were so effective globally, I guess we all have a thing or two to learn from countries like Brunei, Fiji, Laos, East Timor, Mongolia, Lesotho, Djibouti, and underdeveloped countries in Asia & Africa. These countries and regions would have to the real winners in this COVID-19 mess.

Air travel and international travelers are safe and are not the culprit.. As per IATA, research points to low risk for COVID-19 transmission inflight. I guess this goes against the popular opinion.
https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-09-08-012/

Instead of bragging about Canada doing "well" or pointing fingers at the US nonstop like it is some kind of competition, it is time we really understand the real reasons why COVID-19 spreads more in some regions than others, and most importantly, do the absolute best we can with all of the tools we have at our disposal. We must show care and compassion toward people who are apart from their loved ones. COVID-19 isn't going away anytime soon, but US travelers and other overseas travelers aren't to blame at all. Besides, they did not cause this pandemic to begin with. This is actual the reality. Not to mention, the closed borders will further depress the economic activity in this country.

tphuang

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 am

ACDC8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Huh? Was there a vote on that? The borders are closed because the Government says so on advice of the National/Provincial Health Officers, has nothing to do with what we want or do not want.

https://researchco.ca/2020/09/08/canada-covid19/
"Nine-in-ten Canadians (90%) agree with two regulations that have been in place for weeks: keeping the border with the United States closed to non-essential travel, and placing all travellers arriving to Canada into a mandatory 14-day quarantine or isolation period."

It's great that you are in favor of opening it up, but you are also on an aviation forum. The general public is dead against it. Very few politicians are going to go against a 90/10 issue.

HVNandrew

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I sympathize completely as I'm in almost the same pair of shoes as your wife. My aunt in the USA passed a few weeks ago and I couldn't attend her funeral. Your wife would still be permitted to come to Canada (even move back to Canada), if she were (ironically given the discussion here) to fly it would be the easiest way to enter, BUT she'd still have to follow the 14 day self-quarantine rule. Likewise, I couldn't have gone to my aunt's funeral even if I was able to quarantine on the way back, BUT some states have their own 14 day quarantine entry rule, including the one she lived in.

Sorry for your loss, but regarding the restrictions I think you could have actually flown down though? My understanding was that the US is implementing the border crossing restrictions at land and sea crossings, but not for entry via air. Canada is applying the closure across the board. As a result, Canadians can enter the US on a flight and return home (as the closure does not apply to citizens), but Americans would be unable to board a flight into Canada. Radio-Canada actually recently did a story on snowbirds who were going ahead with their sojourns down in Florida despite the pandemic.

hOMSaR

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Thread moved to non-aviation because virtually every reply after the first few are about the Atlantic bubble in Canada and not specifically about WestJet or aviation.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Dominion301
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:06 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WassbiKhalifa wrote:

Sorry for your loss, but regarding the restrictions I think you could have actually flown down though? My understanding was that the US is implementing the border crossing restrictions at land and sea crossings, but not for entry via air. Canada is applying the closure across the board. As a result, Canadians can enter the US on a flight and return home (as the closure does not apply to citizens), but Americans would be unable to board a flight into Canada. Radio-Canada actually recently did a story on snowbirds who were going ahead with their sojourns down in Florida despite the pandemic.

I couldn’t have gone I’m afraid as many states (i.e. Michigan), just like many provinces have 14 day quarantine rules when coming from abroad. The funeral was within 14 days of her death so I would have gone for nothing. I also couldn’t afford (both time wise and financially) to take 28 days off of work for what would otherwise have been a 3-4 day trip.

hOMSaR wrote:
Thread moved to non-aviation because virtually every reply after the first few are about the Atlantic bubble in Canada and not specifically about WestJet or aviation.

Thank you. Hopefully the unfortunate WS station suspension discussions can continue in the WS thread.

KarlB737

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm

I am kind of surprised that WestJet didn't suspend YQG (Windsor) because of the size of the market and its nearness to Detroit.

777luver

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 pm

rampbro wrote:
777luver wrote:
Oh but you can travel to certain provinces within Canada and not quarantine. Yeah that makes a lot of sense....rolls eyes

That's up to the Provinces, not the Feds.

I get that. Still doesn’t make sense but I digress

cirrusdragoon

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 pm

KarlB737 wrote:
I am kind of surprised that WestJet didn't suspend YQG (Windsor) because of the size of the market and its nearness to Detroit.

I agree.

AWNP

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 am

KarlB737 wrote:

Isn't the distance to Detroit irrelevant with the border closed?

ACDC8

Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 am

tphuang wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

"Nine-in-ten Canadians (90%) agree with two regulations that have been in place for weeks: keeping the border with the United States closed to non-essential travel, and placing all travellers arriving to Canada into a mandatory 14-day quarantine or isolation period."

It's great that you are in favor of opening it up, but you are also on an aviation forum. The general public is dead against it. Very few politicians are going to go against a 90/10 issue.

The Federal Government, and only the Federal Government decides which restrictions are in place and for how long, not some random 1000 online opinions and the Federal Government decides these restrictions (and yes, there are restrictions in other words, the border is not closed) on a month to month basis based on the advice of our Public Health Officials, not Joe Schmoe.

tphuang

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am

ACDC8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

The Federal Government, and only the Federal Government decides which restrictions are in place and for how long, not some random 1000 online opinions and the Federal Government decides these restrictions (and yes, there are restrictions in other words, the border is not closed) on a month to month basis based on the advice of our Public Health Officials, not Joe Schmoe.

If you don't think public opinion matters, you haven't followed politicians for very long.

ACDC8

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm

tphuang wrote:
If you don't think public opinion matters, you haven't followed politicians for very long.

Oh yeah, Trudeau's Liberals have been a shining example of public opinion :rotfl:

WildcatYXU

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
ACDC8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Oh yeah, Trudeau's Liberals have been a shining example of public opinion :rotfl:

Yes, I really would like to ask the honourable selfie boy and his cronies who gave them the mandate to get some Canadians into a situation that is comparable to house arrest with work privileges.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40