Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phugoid1982
Topic Author

Anybody else love seals (animals)?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:08 pm

Trying to look for levity amidst all the stressful thing going on in the world. Ever since I was in high school and read a National Geographic article about bearded seals I've loved seals and spend countless hours a day watching videos of seals just being cute and wiggly and jiggly. They are just so adorable. I love how they are sluggish on land but in water utterly swift and torpedo like. No matter how stressed out I am, videos of cute seals always cheer me up. I even read scientific articles about seals not having a bio background. I guess I represent a weird dichotomy. Obsessed with aviation and seals. Too bad it's illegal to keep them as pets

Pyrex

Re: Anybody else love seals (animals)?

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:28 pm

I love seals ever since I was a small kid (perhaps 4 or 5) and my parents gave me a stuffed toy that was a white baby seal. That was my favorite toy growing up. Just recently my mother rediscovered that toy and I allowed my own infant son to play with it, but I must say, I was very apprehensive he was going to destroy it, so kept a close eye throughout.

That said, I don't really read scientific articles on them or anything.

stratosphere

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 pm

I think seals are cool too.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm

They certainly have my seal of approval. One of the best exhibits at our local zoo.

phugoid1982
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I love seals ever since I was a small kid (perhaps 4 or 5) and my parents gave me a stuffed toy that was a white baby seal. That was my favorite toy growing up. Just recently my mother rediscovered that toy and I allowed my own infant son to play with it, but I must say, I was very apprehensive he was going to destroy it, so kept a close eye throughout.

That said, I don't really read scientific articles on them or anything.

I have a giant plush seal made in the image of Yuki, a famous ringed seal at the Osaka aquarium famous for her roundness. There are countless videos of her on YouTube. Yeah don't know what this says about me as an adult close to 40 but at least my gf loves them too. If she hated seals I'd have been very suspicious....

https://www.amazon.com/Chubby-Pillow-St ... ljaz10cnVl

I squish it at least 30 times a day and when my niece comes around I always "supervise" her visits with Yuki afraid she might spill something on her or worse.

Kent350787

Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 am

For me, seals are less attractive otters. I’m totally on board the otter train :)

That said, seals are the only of the two that I see in the wild, and I love it.

Toenga

Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:12 am

Kent350787 wrote:
For me, seals are less attractive otters. I’m totally on board the otter train :)

Bull seals are far from cute and cuddly, they are big strong, can move deceptively fast with big teeth that they display prominently. A bit of a dilemma when one has taken residence on your mooring jetty, when you are totally dependant on boat access. Because of their fish diet a seal colony is best not approached from downwind. But the sea, and the shore is their territory too, and they are far preferable to b jet skis.

B777LRF

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 am

No, not particularly, but in their defence their fur does make excellent cold weather gear, as evidence by Inuits who've used it for thousands of years. Natural, warm, water- and wind resistant. Hasten to ask I'm talking about the furs of adult seals.

phugoid1982
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Toenga wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Bull seals are far from cute and cuddly, they are big strong, can move deceptively fast with big teeth that they display prominently. A bit of a dilemma when one has taken residence on your mooring jetty, when you are totally dependant on boat access. Because of their fish diet a seal colony is best not approached from downwind. But the sea, and the shore is their territory too, and they are far preferable to b jet skis.

Understandable, but better than a giant one blocking your final approach like this one did.

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/seal- ... dc5fbea4b9