Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

The dangers of Zoom video use

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 am

Jeffrey Toobin, a long time legal and political analyst and commentator on CNN as well as a book writer was caught in a Zoom video feed exposing his man parts (and some other gross behavior) as thought he had both the video and audio muted. He has been suspended for now, I doubt he will ever appear on TV again.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/19/jeffrey- ... d-mistake/

There have been other things brought out in video conferencing during the Covid-19 pandemic including unruly pets and kids, stuff in the background view or said by others that was NSFW or controversial. Many kids on video remote education programs turn off the video out of a desire for privacy or not create controversy. Recently a NJ teen had his video cut off in a class as had a Trump election banner in the background.

Unless you are on an actual active video or voice call on your computer, cover the camera lens with tape or paper when not in use.and when on, use digital backgrounds to keep your privacy and prevent unwanted content.

cpd

Re: The dangers of Zoom video use

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:25 am

Covering the cameras is one thing, but I notice we have to stop video otherwise the performance degrades, audio cuts out and you cannot hear others properly.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 am

In my company only internal data can be discussed over zoom

Okie

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:39 am

ltbewr wrote:
Jeffrey Toobin, a long time legal and political analyst and commentator on CNN as well as a book writer was caught in a Zoom video feed exposing his man parts (and some other gross behavior) as thought he had both the video and audio muted. He has been suspended for now, I doubt he will ever appear on TV again.

Looks like we are in need of a V-chip for Zoom to protect children from CNN, ehh. :shock:

Okie

Sokes

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:12 pm

What other gross behaviour?
What's gross about undressing?

Aaron747

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Sokes wrote:

He was choking the lizard while signed into a Zoom election simulation discussion with other New Yorker writers.

Sokes

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

He was choking the lizard while signed into a Zoom election simulation discussion with other New Yorker writers.

That's philosophical.
"If only it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly."
Diogenes

NIKV69

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm

How Ironic OJ (whos trial gave Toobin his start in media) totally owned him. Pee Wee Herman? LOL.

https://twitter.com/TheRealOJ32/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

727LOVER

Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Why did my thread on this yesterday, get deleted? :lol:

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:06 pm

If you’re acting on a Zoom meeting in a manner you’d never think of in the office, you’re an idiot. But, what’s with him, a known degenerate who got his mistress pregnant, pressed her for an abortion, then denied paternity and she had to go to court to get child support. As degenerate as Weiner, Clinton, Trump, the clown from Idaho. Politicians and their parasites are universally scum of the Earth, and people hand over money and power to these narcissistic idiots. Who’s stupid here?

M564038

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 pm

When you are entering or starting a Zoom-meeting you need to be in the same frame of mind as standing on stage for a lecture, entering the office door on your workplace or going on air on radio or TV.

You need to have the Video on/off and mute-button as seriously in your scan/checklist as wether you are clothed or not in your office.

If you take the risk of masturbating in front of a work computer, with a software that can control your camera and microphone, and you know that software happens to be connected to all you collegaues, you ARE an idiot!

Talking about zoom:
It is also a mystery to me that people don’t learn the black magic of microphone technique to sound serious and have more authority in Zoom and other stream-scenarios.
When I hear senior politicans go live on TV with the wimpy sound of mobile-phone sound-quality with plastered walls, it doesn’t matter how much they pimped the fake book-shelf behind them.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Do people have a scan/checklist to confirm they’re dressed at the office? Wow, just Wow.

Ken777

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 pm

These days Zoom has overtaken the education world, My daughter teaches a uni course on Zume, my granddaughter is full time at Uni, taking all courses on line, using Zoom. The grandson is a 10th grader, also using Zoom for his daily classes.

Harsh reality - as long as Covid-19 is exploding, and killing people at all ages, on line education is far better than sending kids (and teachers) to serious illness - and in too many cases death. Financially. is is probably cheaper to give the poor kids with cheap computers and internet access for them to be active participants. When I say cheaper I'm including all the costs of caring in homes and/or hospitals. And funeral home costs.

There is nothing available in a class setting that is with my grandkids life.

On the flip side, there is huge potential for creative teaching. Look at Big Bird or Sponge Bob Square Pants delivering a class session for Pre- and K level classes. Look at a respected politician giving a few class on government processes. The potential is endless.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If you’re acting on a Zoom meeting in a manner you’d never think of in the office, you’re an idiot. But, what’s with him, a known degenerate who got his mistress pregnant, pressed her for an abortion, then denied paternity and she had to go to court to get child support. As degenerate as Weiner, Clinton, Trump, the clown from Idaho. Politicians and their parasites are universally scum of the Earth, and people hand over money and power to these narcissistic idiots. Who’s stupid here?

Amen to this!

M564038

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 am

Haha, always!
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Do people have a scan/checklist to confirm they’re dressed at the office? Wow, just Wow.

WIederling

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

As long as he doesn't hit the camera lens?

a small monitor window showing your own outgoing video stream could be helpful though .. :-)

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:54 pm

olle wrote:
In my company only internal data can be discussed over zoom

We have Zoom too in my organisation (hospital/Healthcare) as well as StarLeaf, Skype and Microsoft teams.Skype is still the most common but we are transitioning
over to Microsoft Teams as Skype will be discontinued in a not too distant future. Not sure if anyone is actually using StarLeaf but it's available though.
You should also not talk about confidential stuff on Zoom as Zoom uses unencrypted connection/servers while Skype and Microsoft team are encrypted.
MS teams is the recommended client in our organisation for conference calls and etc. Zoom is only to be used when there is no other option due to security concerns with Zoom.

Revelation

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Looks like Toobin has gone from "suspected wanker" to "confirmed wanker".

Whomever is on that call must be creeped out by the idea that Toobin may have been getting his rocks off to them...

Talk about becoming totally unemployable, hope he's got a solid savings/investing plan to support him.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Revelation wrote:

Whomever is on that call must be creeped out by the idea that Toobin may have been getting his rocks off to them...

Talk about becoming totally unemployable, hope he's got a solid savings/investing plan to support him.

The real weird in the story is not just his behavior but that Jeffy seems to get a stiffy from election simulations :lol:

Revelation

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The real weird in the story is not just his behavior but that Jeffy seems to get a stiffy from election simulations :lol:

Seems like Jeff needs to find better hobbies, or at least keep his work life separate from his private life.

Now that he's a confirmed perv, maybe he'll get air time on FOX?

LCDFlight

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Revelation wrote:

LOL I love the first line there. Strong parallel to Anthony Weiner. Narcissism to the point of deviancy, privilege giving rise to egomania. The world is a consequence-free environment once you become this sort of "leading figure." You don't worry about money anymore. You worry about gratifying / glorifying yourself only. Trump is famous for his comments on this.

Nicoeddf

Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

ltbewr wrote:

There have been other things brought out in video conferencing during the Covid-19 pandemic including unruly pets and kids, stuff in the background view or said by others that was NSFW or controversial. Many kids on video remote education programs turn off the video out of a desire for privacy or not create controversy. Recently a NJ teen had his video cut off in a class as had a Trump election banner in the background.

Unless you are on an actual active video or voice call on your computer, cover the camera lens with tape or paper when not in use.and when on, use digital backgrounds to keep your privacy and prevent unwanted content.

Fully agree, Zoom is dangerous. He should have taken a business trip as pre COVID and should have masturbated in the meeting room. You know, old school.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:

Fully agree, Zoom is dangerous. He should have taken a business trip as pre COVID and should have masturbated in the meeting room. You know, old school.

Zoom is not dangerous, not knowing when and where to masturbate is.

M564038

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 pm

I think you will find, for once, most of us in agreement with you;-)
NIKV69 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 am

There were 3 women on that zoom call, they left for a break came back and Jeff was at it. Personally, I think he needs professional help he's probably a sexaholic. I mean there is no excuse for that type of conduct.

Nicoeddf

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:48 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Seriously? You couldn’t spot that obvious irony?

Kiwirob

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:21 am

WIederling wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

a small monitor window showing your own outgoing video stream could be helpful though .. :-)

If you use Teams or Skype you get to see yourself. I haven't used zoom but I thought it would be the same??

Caryjack

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 am

Kiwirob wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

If you use Teams or Skype you get to see yourself. I haven't used zoom but I thought it would be the same??
Could be, but if Toobin felt the need to see himself he would have simply looked down. :butthead:

Sokes

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 am

Revelation wrote:

Why would he be totally unemployable? He didn't do anything evil.
The only question is if it was a mistake or if he is exhibitionist.

I would like to see the reaction of the women when they came back to the monitor.
That's just like hidden camera, just the scene is real and the camera not hidden.

Aesma

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If you’re acting on a Zoom meeting in a manner you’d never think of in the office, you’re an idiot. But, what’s with him, a known degenerate who got his mistress pregnant, pressed her for an abortion, then denied paternity and she had to go to court to get child support.

I don't see what's degenerate about that. The woman can get an abortion or can continue the pregnancy, it's her choice, having sex was also her choice, if the man doesn't want anything to do with it he should be able to get out of it.

Revelation

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Sokes wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I think most of us can come up with a lot more questions than that one.

If you want to employ someone who wanks to images of their co-workers during a meeting he's being paid to participate in, then you can employ him.

I don't think anyone else will.

Sokes

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Revelation wrote:
Sokes wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I think most of us can come up with a lot more questions than that one.

If you want to employ someone who wanks to images of their co-workers during a meeting he's being paid to participate in, then you can employ him.

I don't think anyone else will.

It was earlier mentioned that the coworkers were gone. So he must have got bored and started wanking.

Maybe nobody told him about a.net.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:56 am

Aesma wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If you’re acting on a Zoom meeting in a manner you’d never think of in the office, you’re an idiot. But, what’s with him, a known degenerate who got his mistress pregnant, pressed her for an abortion, then denied paternity and she had to go to court to get child support.

I don't see what's degenerate about that. The woman can get an abortion or can continue the pregnancy, it's her choice, having sex was also her choice, if the man doesn't want anything to do with it he should be able to get out of it.

On behalf of all honorable men, that’s a very irresponsible, dishonorable act—denying responsibility for the child. He’s an irresponsible, entitled degenerate.

Sokes, then hang up, leave the call.

Aesma

Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:51 am

Being honest is quite honorable in my book. I live in a country where abortion is free and relatively easy to get (during the first trimester), most of the time the woman just takes a pill because it's done early enough without hurdles being put in her way. A woman here is well aware of what she's doing and what her options are, if she's carrying to term a child the man absolutely does not want, and sues for child support, she's probably the one being dishonorable (for example, having lied about being on birth control, or wanting children).

slider

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Toobin has not been terminated yet.

Insanity. We allow this to happen.

M564038

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Neither masturbating or being computer illiterate is illegal.
slider wrote:

slider

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:51 pm

M564038 wrote:
slider wrote:

Doesn't have to be illegal to get canned for any number of reasons. And again, you know goddamn good and well that if it were anyone else with any other company, they'd get canned.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:41 pm

The difference between working in journalism and working at a fast food restaurant is you’ll get defended based on politics in journalism and fired at fast food if you masturbate “on the job”.

M564038

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I don’t think I would get fired.
As long as I could say I was in my own home and didn’t know the camera was on, it would be nowhere near a reason for termination. I would win the court case.

Would I quit?
Yes.

slider wrote:
M564038 wrote:
slider wrote:

Doesn't have to be illegal to get canned for any number of reasons. And again, you know goddamn good and well that if it were anyone else with any other company, they'd get canned.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Doesn’t matter, if you’re at home, you are appearing at a work environment. No arbitration counsel would reverse a termination based on “hostile work environment” for sexual acts seen by other employees. If indecent exposure charges weren’t also filed.

Tugger

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 pm

M564038 wrote:
As long as I could say I was in my own home and didn’t know the camera was on, it would be nowhere near a reason for termination. I would win the court case.

Would I quit?
Yes.

slider wrote:
M564038 wrote:

A homeowner, at least in the USA, has a responsibility to ensure their "curtains are drawn" when engaging in what could be indecent if viewed easily, publicly. Doubly so in a work environment situation. Lots of managers have offices with blinds that can be drawn, but if they don't ensure those blinds are closed, they are responsible for what can be seen by others in the office.
"I was at home", if it were a valid defense alone, would imperil the entire work-at-home concept as it is now being applied (regular employees, not contract employees).

Tugg

M564038

Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:22 pm

I can confirm the law in my country is indeed the opposite. Within reason. If you arranged your window as some sort of Red Light District-affair, it would be something else, but you aren’t required to have blinders to engage in legal activities;-)

Employers should be happy employees are willing to connect to their private environment with a camera to begin with. One can not expect perfection, and having the camera inadvertantly on happens everyone at some point.
By pure statistic certainty, with hundreds of millions , if not billions of users, and masturbation being the everyday and popular activity it is for most people, these things are unfortunately bound to intersect for a number of unlucky bastards.

It might be borderline negligence/perversion, but it might also just be som really bad luck.

Tugger wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Would I quit?
Yes.

slider wrote:

A homeowner, at least in the USA, has a responsibility to ensure their "curtains are drawn" when engaging in what could be indecent if viewed easily, publicly. Doubly so in a work environment situation. Lots of managers have offices with blinds that can be drawn, but if they don't ensure those blinds are closed, they are responsible for what can be seen by others in the office.
"I was at home", if it were a valid defense alone, would imperil the entire work-at-home concept as it is now being applied (regular employees, not contract employees).

Tugg

Aesma

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:30 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Doesn’t matter, if you’re at home, you are appearing at a work environment. No arbitration counsel would reverse a termination based on “hostile work environment” for sexual acts seen by other employees. If indecent exposure charges weren’t also filed.

What if the other employees accept your apology and don't want things to escalate ?

Aaron747

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:42 pm

M564038 wrote:

Would I quit?
Yes.

I dunno about that - you agreed to working at home, didn't you? If you were on the clock at the time, home or not, it's fair game. Anyway, have seen people canned for far less, and the decisions were upheld.

Tugger

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Aesma wrote:
What if the other employees accept your apology and don't want things to escalate ?

If I were the company/owner, I'd "Whew, great to hear." And terminate the employee. There is just too much risk, proven risk that the person is careless and thoughtless, and what company anywhere can accept that. And now with fore-knoweldge that they are like this any future inappropriate action could results in even worse repercussions and liability.

Don't be "tubin' " on company time in front of other employees!

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:21 pm

What Tugger said! I’ve been a manager where an employee wanted to take the apology and move on. Legal insisted on record the incident and a suspension. Six months later, similar behavior and he was fired. And the conduct wasn’t one-fifth as serious as this case.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What Tugger said! I’ve been a manager where an employee wanted to take the apology and move on. Legal insisted on record the incident and a suspension. Six months later, similar behavior and he was fired. And the conduct wasn’t one-fifth as serious as this case.

Often in companies or in public employment and if not involving a union, they have a policy where somethings are bad enough it means immediate termination, but a series of poor behaviors with a 'last straw' issue will lead to termination. In my experience an act of anti-antisemitism, open racism, violence, insubordination, using a company computer for porn, stealing from the company will get you fired in short order. Also from my experience, a series of well documented poor behaviors, causing a 'hostile work environment', use of illegal drugs and excessive alcohol will usually build up will lead to counseling, time off without pay, and if continues to termination. Rejection of counseling (like drug/alcohol rehab) will also lead to termination.

One can argue that Mr. Toobin's alleged acts online may lead to immediate termination by his employers due as a very public person and current public pressures, but many will be reluctant pending an investigation, so suspend them with or without pay, and if found or if more improper behaviors have occurred, if consulting has failed or rejected, then terminated.

GDB

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:37 pm

Of course this was never an issue before modern technology made working from home possible, not that doing that sort of thing was acceptable in the workplace, as parodied in this late 1990's sketch (with reference to the almost complete ban on smoking in offices by then);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKH9ECC_Qa4

WIederling

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
WIederling wrote:

No idea. I don't do "teleconference" .. any more.
Actually my impression is that teleconferencing achieves nothing of value.
Boring.
Bigwig throws his weight around,
underlings cringe in perfect harmony.

I prefer eMail and judicious use of the CC destination.
limitation on number of people involved!
Allows async conversation, no matchup of bleary eyeds on one side and yawning after a full workday on the other end.
... and you can go back up the stack to see what the topic actually was about ( if the conversation derails .. )

if you want to be a real subversive use BCC :-)