Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Advice/Interpretation needed-Potential Employer Calls with question about Salary Range

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello all,

I interviewed last week for a non-profit Director position in NY last week. I was a finalist for the role (out of 2 final candidates).

They called me this morning to make sure the compensation range was within what I was looking for, then said they would be in touch in the next day or so.

Would someone call both candidates to ask their salary range as a deciding point or just the front runner? How would you guys read into that situation?

I have never had that scenario happen to me before. Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Tugger

Re: Advice/Interpretation needed-Potential Employer Calls with question about Salary Range

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 pm

You would call one person. No need to go through it all with someone you won't hire. Once confirmed you advise the second person "Thank you for your time however...."

Tugg

aaden
Topic Author

Re: Advice/Interpretation needed-Potential Employer Calls with question about Salary Range

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Tugger wrote:
You would call one person. No need to go through it all with someone you won't hire. Once confirmed you advise the second person "Thank you for your time however...."

Tugg

I should add that I don't have an offer yet and they said "they wanted to confirm the salary range was ok before they made a final decsion."

casinterest

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:27 pm

I think it matters quite a bit these days. Junior engineers vs Experienced engineers matters a lot in this question. Is the Experienced Engineer worth it, vs the trainable junior engineer?

Director positions have a lot riding on them, and the choices between equally strong candidates may come down to ask. The other candidate may have asked for more.

Pyrex

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm

They can no longer ask for salary history in New York, I think, so perhaps this is their way to get around it...

casinterest

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm

One other issue to think about is a case where they are trying to get you to leave another job. These are the most demanded employees, and actually some of the hardest to land. If the salary range is not correct, the offer can land with a thud for those that have to weigh benefits, and known parameters such as job security, comfort levels, and the unknown. The offer for a sought after employee needs to be good enough to make it worth their while to accept it.

bennett123

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 pm

I assume that the job ad did not specify the salary.

I tend to pass on these.

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm

That sounds a bit sketchy...if you are making a reasonable compensation request (cost of living, experience, education), it should NOT be a factor in deciding whether to hire you. They could ask what you're looking for and, in an ideal world, would either grant your request or counter by saying "this is the most we can offer", so that it's up to you to accept/decline such a compensation.

In such a situation, if your current compensation pays the bills, I'd play it safe and ask for the same level...this is not the ideal world and if you need the job and have no issues with the current compensation, don't jeopardize your chances. However, before I throw a number, I'd ask THEM what they're looking for.

bennett123

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:02 pm

My view is that they should tell you at least the salary range.

If they don't do at least that, then either they don't know, (which is a bit worrying) or it is some big secret.

If they don't want to tell you, either it is some sort of reverse auction or they know that if it was stated in the ad, that no one would apply.

slider

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:15 pm

1) Previous salary is none of anyone's f***ing business. Full stop.

2) Make them say a range first. There are tons of ways to work around this carefully. Sometimes recruiters will ask because they know what the range is, or because they're thinking commission $.

Aaden- they're looking to see which of the two finalists will short change themselves first.

I've very tactfully but firmly told the other party that, based on overall compensation structure--401k, bonus, signing bonus, profit sharing, medical benefits, leave policy, et al, etc, etc, etc, I can't possibly put a number out there without weighing the entire package. Do you have a range in mind for someone of my similar experience?

Then if it's low, start negotiating. Leverage that experience and why you're the ideal candidate.

It is shocking how chintzy companies are when trying to find the cheapest candidate. LinkedIn has some great HR resources and people out there who are strong and vocal advocates for job seekers to take back the leverage in this archaic way of hiring.