Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ken777
Topic Author

Have you voted in the US Election yet?

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:11 am

I received my mail in ballot the first of the month and took my completed ballot to the Election Board within the week, I was ready to mail it, but got concerned about porch pirates looking to pull ballots. Most people here will be able to guess how I voted. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So, how many Yanks here have voted? By mail in ballot? By early in person voting (and how long did THAT take?)?

And if you do vote before the 3rd, leave a note here the method you used.

casinterest

Re: Have you voted in the US Election yet?

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:15 am

Early voted 3 hours ago.
Less than 30 minutes
Where ever you go, there you are.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:26 am

I voted on day one of early voting at a polling center near me. 5 minute wait to get inside. Digital voting machine and a printed paper backup. It took a little longer since Texas took away straight party voting.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

fr8mech

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:31 am

Early, and in person, yesterday. It took me longer to decide how to vote for for Soil Conservation Commissioner than it did to verify my identity and obtain my ballot.

By the way, I took my daughter (18) to vote for the first time. She was so happy with herself..as was I.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

LabQuest

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:03 am

I voted in person on Friday. It took about 30 minutes. I filled out a paper form stating I voted and the machine to vote was electronic.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 am

No, I believe in voting on election day.
I am the Googlizer!!!

ER757

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:26 am

Got my ballot in the mail yesterday. I filled it out today and took it to the the drop box about a mile from my house. Was a nice day so I rode my bike.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 am

Got my ballot yesterday; started going through the info pamphlet to get better acquainted with candidates and positions. Should finish filling it out tomorrow and take it over to the drop box.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ltbewr

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 am

I am in NJ which for this election mailed ballots to all registered voters. I got mine 2 weeks ago, filled out (all Democrats) and brought it to an official drop box in a town near me. No question who I was voting for and and wanted to make sure no issues with my mail ballot.

maverick4002

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 am

NIKV69 wrote:

I also will vote on election day though I did consider following Trump's lead and voting by mail as he has done without complaint for the last few elections.

NWAESC

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:50 am

Early in-person this morning (10/20). 0930, and the line was already out the door. Clerks did well to keep the line moving. Took about 20 minutes total.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

kaitak

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:56 am

I voted for the first time this weekend past. Very easy and straightforward; got my ballot my email; scanned it back/sent by express post. (I live in Ireland).

Tugger

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:05 am

Funny,we are going over our ballots right now. My wife wants to mail hers in right away. I want to vote in person at the polls on election day.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aloha717200

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:05 am

I voted on the 13th, straight blue down the ballot. And so did the three people who came with me.

N867DA

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:18 am

I voted in person yesterday. No wait at all. Filling out the paper ballot took a while though.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

cledaybuck

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:50 am

My ballot has been filled out, put in the drop box, and accepted.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

alfa164

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 am

casinterest wrote:
Early voted 3 hours ago.
Less than 30 minutes

Same here: I voted, in person, about 6 hours ago. The line was less than 10 minutes on this, the second week of early voting.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Alias1024

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Reviewing the candidates for smaller races and the bond proposals today. Probably go to an early voting site tomorrow.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
I voted on the 13th, straight blue down the ballot. And so did the three people who came with me.

I'm leaving it until tomorrow, when I'll be block voting red, along with a few friends.

In fact there will be so many of us, we've been forced to charter a double-decker bus! :yes:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

DucatiRacer

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Voted in person at the American Airlines Center arena in Dallas about 30 minutes ago. Took less than 10 minutes from the time I got out of my vehicle until I was pulling back out of the parking garage (and parking was free). Anyone living near downtown Dallas should consider voting there, it could not have been easier.

Jetsgo

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:20 pm

I voted in person yesterday for my boy DJ-T. Polls opened at 9:00 AM and I was out by 9:25. No issues with the digital touch screen machine or paper backup. Everyone complied with masks and social distancing.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

airtechy

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm

I voted by mail a week ago in Orlando, Fl. but drove past our early voting place today around noon ... maybe 100 people in line. Not too bad now, but it will probably get a lot worse on Nov. 3. when all the Republicans vote. Can't imagine all the golf carts lined up carrying people to vote at "The Villages". :shock:

N14AZ

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Question: when will the results of the early votes be integrated into the overall results?

casinterest

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:24 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Question: when will the results of the early votes be integrated into the overall results?

In NC they don't tabulate until Election day.

panamair

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 pm

I am working in Europe now and have my absentee ballot all filled out. I am flying back to the States tomorrow to personally drop it off at the ballot box! :) Not taking any chances!

Ken777
Topic Author

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 pm

From the TV news I've seen it looks like Texas will be the main state with LONG lines in early voting. They are blowing records out of the park - probably because of a GOP Governor who limited ballot drop off boxes to one per county. The SOB is in a wheelchair and obviously doesn't give a damn for other handicapped voters. That apparently has pissed off a lot of voters and they are going to remember that voter obstruction when his name is on the next ballot.

SRQLOT

Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:08 am

Got my ballot in the mail, and dropped it off at the Supervisor of Elections office 2 weeks ago in Bradenton, Florida. There was constant traffic of people dropping off their ballots.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 am

i got my ballot by mail and filled it out, but then decided that i would go tomorrow and vote in person. I don't trust the republican or the post master general. It's pretty scary what's going on with fake ballot boxes. Trump has ruined America. I absolutely hate him, and the way he treats women. God helps us all, if he gets re-elected.

af773atmsp

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 am

I voted first day of early voting in Minnesota. Only took me 20 minutes.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

luckyone

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:18 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Got my ballot yesterday; started going through the info pamphlet to get better acquainted with candidates and positions. Should finish filling it out tomorrow and take it over to the drop box.

Since we live in the same Evergreen state, doesn't it just make you shake your head reading some of the personal statements? Like “You didn’t know this was going to printed and sent to every voter and couldn’t give this more than five minutes of thought???”

I received my ballot in the mail last week, and dropped it in the collection box the next evening.

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 am

luckyone wrote:
Since we live in the same Evergreen state, doesn't it just make you shake your head reading some of the personal statements? Like “You didn’t know this was going to printed and sent to every voter and couldn’t give this more than five minutes of thought???”

The primaries were even worse. Seeing all the folks that were Trump-Republicans or had a pitiful personal statement. At least those running as Democrats had better statements.

For my state representative district, there are two races; one of them features a local business owner who hasn't had any experience in politics but touts how his ice cream shop has provided hundreds of teens with their first job. All fine and dandy, except it's the same statement he made for the primary, word for word. That might have helped him get over the finish line into the top two, but there wasn't really anything he said about how he'd do things in Olympia. Not that I'd consider him anyway, but at least put some effort into it.

His store is (or was?) his campaign HQ; he HAD propaganda in a corner. Looks like he took it down.

luckyone

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:12 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The primaries were even worse. Seeing all the folks that were Trump-Republicans or had a pitiful personal statement. At least those running as Democrats had better statements.

For my state representative district, there are two races; one of them features a local business owner who hasn't had any experience in politics but touts how his ice cream shop has provided hundreds of teens with their first job. All fine and dandy, except it's the same statement he made for the primary, word for word. That might have helped him get over the finish line into the top two, but there wasn't really anything he said about how he'd do things in Olympia. Not that I'd consider him anyway, but at least put some effort into it.

His store is (or was?) his campaign HQ; he HAD propaganda in a corner. Looks like he took it down.

Good grief yes some of those were painful, both Democrats and Republicans. On one hand I’m supportive of their right to put their hat in the race, but good lord...

mdsh00

Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 am

I voted and dropped off my ballot in a drop box 4 days ago. Got a confirmation email the next day that my ballot was received.

seb146

Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:58 am

luckyone wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I received my ballot in the mail last week, and dropped it in the collection box the next evening.

Many of the local races the local people don't even know about. There is one person I will not vote for because she just decided one day to plant her campaign sign on our lawn. She didn't ask or anything. She just put it there. The brosband saw her, unplanted it, and threw it in the street. According to him, he called her some very undemocratic names but, I stand with him taking her sign down. Other than that, who knows. We both wrote his name in for one of the county seats that has no one running.

We have three districts right next to each other. Two have funding bills on the ballot. We simply have races and state ballot measures. One county initiative about all guns, all the time, no questions asked.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Alias1024

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 am

Went today. About 20 people in line to get in the door. Less than ten minutes later I had my ballot and was headed to a booth to fill it out.

All the candidates for state house, state senate, and judgeships had websites. Very few had anything that staked an actual position on relevant issues. Mostly just crap about their childhood and career prior to public office. I had to go with short questionnaires the local newspaper sent to candidates and the published responses to determine my votes.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

System07

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:44 am

My wife and I dropped off our ballots at the local police/fire station next door in the drop box directly outside the front door last weekend. No worries. In MI

System07

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 am

Ken777 wrote:
From the TV news I've seen it looks like Texas will be the main state with LONG lines in early voting. They are blowing records out of the park - probably because of a GOP Governor who limited ballot drop off boxes to one per county. The SOB is in a wheelchair and obviously doesn't give a damn for other handicapped voters. That apparently has pissed off a lot of voters and they are going to remember that voter obstruction when his name is on the next ballot.

My wife is a disability rights advocate and lawyer and the irony was NOT lost on her. But...we don’t live in TX

T18

Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:17 pm

I've not even gotten the info on which polling place I should be using so there is that... My notice for the primary showed up day of if memory serves.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

DocLightning

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:53 am

Voted from home (it's the best way; I could look up all the local candidates and state ballot propositions and make informed decisions then and there) and then drove our ballots to a drop box. Got the text that they had been accepted the next day.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:45 am

Dropped the ballot at the town drop box today. Will wait until next week to see if the ballot was accepted and counted.

slider

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

I'm a big believer on voting on actual election day as well.

I'm volunteering at another precinct on election day, but can now vote in any precinct other than what was historically only my locally assigned one.

bgm

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:45 pm

slider wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Curious as to what the rationale behind that is?

Why wouldn't you vote early, either by mail in ballot or in person? What if something happens on election day that delays or prohibits you from voting? Long lines/big crowds/work/medical emergecy/car trouble etc etc?

mdsh00

Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes. Voted last weekend. Dropped off my ballot in a secure drop box on a Saturday. The ballot was collected that same night.

casinterest

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Interesting article, and insight into the Danger's the Trump Campaign has this year.

Outside of Covid, the major issue is the lack of viable third party candidates like Gary Johnson.

52% of those third party voters in 2016 are backing biden ( 23%) are backing trump, 14% will stay third party, and 12 % are undecided.
https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/22/t ... s-polling/

Those protest votes in 2016 may not show up, and when you look at the numbers, it will cost trump Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan easily.

Florida gets a lot closer, with NC and GA not far behind. AZ is at a tipping point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Unit ... l_election

Trump's decision to let Covid run it's course can easily cost him AZ and Florida in this scenario.

casinterest

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Ahh Look,
Another case of the Trump administration trying to violate state's rights. and avoid Postal fraud and delays they caused

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... tee-ballot

Reuters reports the plan Trump’s campaign is contesting would allow absentee ballots that arrive by Nov. 12 to be counted in North Carolina as long as they are postmarked before Nov. 3. The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in a 12-3 decision that it would deny a bid to stop North Carolina from tallying ballots in that time frame.
Last edited by casinterest on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winginit

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 pm

bgm wrote:
slider wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Curious as to what the rationale behind that is?

Why wouldn't you vote early, either by mail in ballot or in person? What if something happens on election day that delays or prohibits you from voting? Long lines/big crowds/work/medical emergecy/car trouble etc etc?

I have this same question as well. I've never voted in person in the United States, but from what I've seen and heard the process is almost always inconvenient and without any of the fanfare of say Australia or Canada. What's the point in waiting especially in the midst of a pandemic?

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:12 pm

When I got my Colorado drivers license last year I signed a paper asking if I wanted to receive ballots by mail. I didn't register for a party so I get both Democrat and Republican ballots although you can only vote in one primary in CO (I voted for Tulsi but didn't sign the envelope and next thing you know I'm getting letters from the Douglas County DA! All good now though :) ). Besides voting, even getting my license at the DMV was quick and easy, until I paid my car registration!

But here voting is easy. There are ballot boxes dotted all over the Denver area and one exactly a mile from where I live. I filled out my ballot at home with the ballot book to research and dropped it myself. Took less than an hour overall and at a leisurely pace.

The system works as well as the people let it work. It doesn't matter what side you're on or who you like. Go out there and make the system work.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

aeromoe

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Yes, by mail-in last week.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

N965UW

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Did in-person early voting in NY yesterday. Waited on line for over an hour and they ran out of "I Voted" stickers by the time I got to the front :grumpy:
Flown on: A332 C172 C182 C82R CRJ7 E190 PA38 P28A
Been aboard on ground only: B744F C17 C162 CONC S76 T33