Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

1,000hp 2022 GMC Hummer EV Truck

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 pm

American excess is back with the 1,000hp 2022 GMC Hummer EV truck
There is nothing subtle or restrained, including the $112,595 price.

Ref: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/10/am ... -ev-truck/

Hard pass for me, but gotta say if price was no object I like the looks of this better than Tesla Cybertruck, Rivian, et al.

Even at the eye watering price I think this beast will have a market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... 00018c10e0 says it's received reservations for its entire first year of production.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

T18

Re: 1,000hp 2022 GMC Hummer EV Truck

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:59 pm

I'll give them this unlike some other revived names, this at least has some of the old Hummer spirit, looking at you Mitsubishi... Eclipse as a crossover... really?
Not even close to a consider even if I had the spare 100k+ sitting around but I'm sure they will crawl all over Beverly Hills car parks.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Okie

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Previous owner of an H2 I can tell you that sitting there with quivering pen in hand and I did not opt in. If it had been a Hybrid I would have been signed on early and sitting in the lot waiting for delivery.
I have owned multitudes of vehicles from luxury to hot rods and the H2 was absolutely my favorite bar none. I should have just kept it until you needed a tetanus shot before getting into it.

I am just not idle enough in my life to consider sitting on top of a 13,000ft mountain with a 200kwh dead battery and a 30 watt hour solar charger.

My life just does not run slow enough to operate on being tethered to a seldom found battery charger with enough capacity for quick charge at this time.

I have a relative that borrowed my personal car for a few months to transport his parents for medical treatment because his Tesla won't make the round trip between their rural home and the Medical facility in OKC.
Watching someone with a $100k car and not being able to deal taking care of his family played a major role in my decision to not opt in.

Okie

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 pm

That’s a very unpopular opinion here, Okie. Only reprobates insist on personal cars that can run more than 3 hours.

Okie

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
That’s a very unpopular opinion here, Okie. Only reprobates insist on personal cars that can run more than 3 hours

Guilty as charged. :bigthumbsup:

Okie

L410Turbolet

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Okie wrote:
I have a relative that borrowed my personal car for a few months to transport his parents for medical treatment because his Tesla won't make the round trip between their rural home and the Medical facility in OKC.
Watching someone with a $100k car and not being able to deal taking care of his family played a major role in my decision to not opt in.
Okie

His poor judgement when choosing a car is hardly Tesla's fault. It's like blaming Ferrari for not being able to drive their cars off road.

scbriml

Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Well, it's a lot of money, but then you are getting an awful lot of ugly for it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sokes

Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:06 am

scbriml wrote:
Well, it's a lot of money, but then you are getting an awful lot of ugly for it.

I love British humour.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Sokes

Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:11 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
His poor judgement when choosing a car is hardly Tesla's fault. It's like blaming Ferrari for not being able to drive their cars off road.

What was first, the hen or the egg?
Charging infrastructure is of course a problem. And charging with 350 kW isn't peanuts for the grid.
Second cars of urban families have to make a start.

But then at today's low interest I assume the necessary investments will be coming rather soon.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 am

Let’s see, a vehicle designed to go to remote off-the-grid locations on batteries. Anyone see anything wrong there?

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:02 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Let’s see, a vehicle designed to go to remote off-the-grid locations on batteries. Anyone see anything wrong there?

Do your remote off-the-grid locations have oil wells and refineries?

wingman

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:04 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I’m certain this vehicle was designed exclusively to go up and down Moscow Central Boulevard and Rodeo Drive. Personally, I’d take the new Dodge TRX as the ultimate swan song sayonara to the Age of Fossil Fuel. My Accord is feeling very inadequate.

alfa164

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If Biscayne Boulevard and Rodeo Drive are "off-grid locations"... then yes, you nailed it...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:16 am

Revelation wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

No, we invented Jerry cans for this reason.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 am

It bugs me the attention and massive investment for these 'halo' vehicles like this while there is a need for more pure and part EV vehicles that will be practical and affordable for the masses.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Revelation wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

No, we invented Jerry cans for this reason.

"We" invented Jerry cans? :scratchchin:

I detect a hint of holocaust-denial here, except in this case it is "don't mention the Nazis".

The Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister, was first developed in 1937 by the Müller engineering firm in Schwelm.
As that is a bit of a mouthful, the Brits performed one of their usual bastardisations and coined the term "Jerry can", which at least had the honesty to admit the design origins of this humble piece of kit.

In the early stages of WWII the British used cans captured from the "Jerries" (Germans) – hence "jerrycans" – in preference to their own containers as much as possible.
In the later stages of WWII British & American copies were produced in vast quantities, mainly to replace the millions casually "lost" each month on the road to Berlin.

Yes, cans for gasoline (& other uses) had existed before the Jerrycan, but nothing came close to it in terms of design excellence.

The photo below does NOT show Jerrycans; but rather the original British flimsies.
Ground crew refuel a Supermarine Spitfire Mark VC of No. 601 Squadron RAF, using four-gallon petrol tins, in a sandbagged revetment at Luqa, Malta, while two armourers service the Spitfire's cannon.

These 4-gallon tins were cheaply made, but had a tendency to leak after minor damage, such as after being transported across a rock strewn desert.
Having said that, the one on the Spitfires wing is already well beaten-up.
Routinely discarded after a single use, the best thing that can be said about them is that they were readily converted it into a primitive cooking stove, the 'Benghazi burner'.

Thx as ever to wikipedia

"Flimsy", another fine example of wartime humor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flimsy
Nothing to see here; move along please.

zkojq

Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm

What an absolute bloody eyesore....will fit perfectly into General Motors current product line up then. It truly is impressive how between Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and now Hummer they couldn't come up with a single good looking vehicle. Or even an ok looking vehicle.
First to fly the 787-9

Francoflier

Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:49 pm

zkojq wrote:
What an absolute bloody eyesore....will fit perfectly into General Motors current product line up then. It truly is impressive how between Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and now Hummer they couldn't come up with a single good looking vehicle. Or even an ok looking vehicle.

To be fair, its proposed rivals are not exactly lookers either.
The Rivian is a bit meh and the Tesla truck has a face only a mother - or an unquestioningly adoring Tesla fan - could love.

But otherwise, yeah. Another psychological crutch for the reproductively impaired.

At least it restores male confidence while destroying the environment a bit less! :innocent:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:05 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It bugs me the attention and massive investment for these 'halo' vehicles like this while there is a need for more pure and part EV vehicles that will be practical and affordable for the masses.

It shouldn't. The early adopters will pay dearly to be first. It'll bring in the profit to fund the rest of the product family, and accelerate adoption of the concept. Again, it's like the early iPhone people willing to pay much more than the asking price just to get one. Now the generic 'smartphone' is the industry standard and adoption has been pretty much universal.

Francoflier wrote:
zkojq wrote:

To be fair, its proposed rivals are not exactly lookers either.
The Rivian is a bit meh and the Tesla truck has a face only a mother - or an unquestioningly adoring Tesla fan - could love.

But otherwise, yeah. Another psychological crutch for the reproductively impaired.

At least it restores male confidence while destroying the environment a bit less! :innocent:

The Rivian has styling queues that automobile historians will recognize from the Ford Edsel, it was a big flop back then, this isn't likely to do better. In summary, tall oval shapes trigger mental recognition of the female naughty bits and tend to dissuade those looking to project a masculine image.

I agree about Cybertruck. The only hope is that it grows on people, but still I think Tesla made a huge mistake. I think something like this Hummer scaled down to use the Tesla Model 3 / Y platform would sell like hotcakes. Or just take a standard F100/Tundra/etc and use that as a design basis. Most people looking for 'truck' aren't looking for 'cyber', IMO, they're looking for 'truck'.

Francoflier

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
I think something like this Hummer scaled down to use the Tesla Model 3 / Y platform would sell like hotcakes. Or just take a standard F100/Tundra/etc and use that as a design basis. Most people looking for 'truck' aren't looking for 'cyber', IMO, they're looking for 'truck'.

I agree.
I have a suspicion that the Hummer EV will ultimately provide a base/skateboard for the development of future GM trucks more similar to the Silverado/Sierra range.
As you said, EVs are still expensive and at the moment, so only luxury models make sense. Once the economy of scales does its thing, lower segments of trucks and cars should get electrified at their current price range. We'll see how Tesla goes with their promised $25k model...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:48 pm

The Cybertruck is designed to hold 6 six footers, a 6.5 inch bed with cover, as aerodynamic and economic as possible. It is not meant to look like the conventional 3 box truck, which requires a lot more volume. With an original range of from 250-500 miles it will cover a lot of off road usage. It will not go across the Sahara (or wait, some lengthy stops with those PV panels)
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

casinterest

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:24 pm

Interesting comparison of the Trucks below .

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/10/24/sa ... ivian-r1t/

Where ever you go, there you are.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:09 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
The Cybertruck is designed to hold 6 six footers, a 6.5 inch bed with cover, as aerodynamic and economic as possible. It is not meant to look like the conventional 3 box truck, which requires a lot more volume. With an original range of from 250-500 miles it will cover a lot of off road usage. It will not go across the Sahara (or wait, some lengthy stops with those PV panels)

Who knows, maybe the Cybertruck's qualities will shine, the looks will grow on people over time.

Newark727

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:18 pm

What would a 2004 H2 cost in today's dollars? They were expensive, but I feel like it would still ring up for less than $100,000. Feel like GM might be aiming too high here.

luckyone

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Newark727 wrote:
What would a 2004 H2 cost in today's dollars? They were expensive, but I feel like it would still ring up for less than $100,000. Feel like GM might be aiming too high here.

The MSRP for an H2 today would largely depend on what the public would be willing to be. At the time of its introduction it was not quite double the base Tahoe, which was ridiculous considering it was effectively a gussied up Tahoe. The price difference narrowed toward the end of the H2’s run, as the novelty wore off.

Okie

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:28 am

I had a 05 with upcharge adventure package which included brush guards, skid plates, air bags-height adjustable, 6 disc cd-stereo, on board air compressor, 3rd row seat, external spare tire mount, rear tail light guards, crossbars for top rails, a few other gadgets and nerf bars.
When you went doing serious climbing the nerf bars had to be removed for ground clearance. Paid 47K but listed over 56K with the package. That was in Oct 04 so one of the first 05's.

I am not sure of the cost in todays dollars.

Okie

Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience well that comes from poor judgement

zkojq

Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Francoflier wrote:
the Tesla truck has a face only a mother - or an unquestioningly adoring Tesla fan - could love.

That's a very diplomatic way to describe the Tesla truck :rotfl:

Francoflier wrote:

Well I guess I should be the first to admit that I'm not it's target market so maybe I should be a bit less hasty to judge it.
First to fly the 787-9

seb146

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:22 pm

The brosband is wondering how much this monstrosity weighs? If we win the lottery, he will be buying a Toyota Tacoma and I a Subaru Crosstrek and we will steer clear (no pun intended) of this eyesore.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Revelation wrote:
I think something like this Hummer scaled down to use the Tesla Model 3 / Y platform would sell like hotcakes. Or just take a standard F100/Tundra/etc and use that as a design basis. Most people looking for 'truck' aren't looking for 'cyber', IMO, they're looking for 'truck'.

I agree.
I have a suspicion that the Hummer EV will ultimately provide a base/skateboard for the development of future GM trucks more similar to the Silverado/Sierra range.
As you said, EVs are still expensive and at the moment, so only luxury models make sense. Once the economy of scales does its thing, lower segments of trucks and cars should get electrified at their current price range. We'll see how Tesla goes with their promised $25k model...

Or any other future Chevy. This says go big or go home. I’d never buy one, but a huge step in power.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Okie

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 pm

The EV Hummer will have the new MCMA pouch battery cell technology. "Ultium" marketing connotation.

The first most expensive models will have 3 drive motors. Later more economical models will only have two motors.
I am wondering if that means that only the 3 drive motor model will have the crab mode and the 2 motor will not.
That would make sense engineering wise but I have no idea.

Okie

Aesma

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:12 am

Okie wrote:
I am just not idle enough in my life to consider sitting on top of a 13,000ft mountain with a 200kwh dead battery and a 30 watt hour solar charger.

On top of a mountain you have potential energy for you, you can recharge the battery by going downhill.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
That’s a very unpopular opinion here, Okie. Only reprobates insist on personal cars that can run more than 3 hours.

He said he had an H2, surely you must fill that massive gas guzzler sooner than every 3 hours ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Okie

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am

Aesma wrote:
He said he had an H2, surely you must fill that massive gas guzzler sooner than every 3 hours ?

Actually about every six hours under normal highway conditions at 70mph. Apparently you have no clue.

We have actual pollution controls here in the US and penalties for fuel guzzlers. No fudged EU regulations polluting at 40 times the going rate.

Okie

Aesma

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 pm

You're talking about two unrelated pollutions. It's true that diesel emissions have not been controlled as they should have in Europe, however diesel cars are everything but fuel guzzlers. It's precisely because car manufacturers wanted to reduce fuel use as much as possible that NOx and particulate pollution exploded.

US penalties for gas guzzlers are a joke, since SUVs and "trucks" like this are exempt. In France a gas guzzler incurrs a 20000€ tax, and from next year it will be 40000€, and 50000€ the year after. Everyday cars that are over a threshold pay a smaller tax, increasing with CO2 emissions. The tax brought 700 millions euros in last year, versus 42 millions $ in the US ! The money is used to subsidise hybrid and electric car purchases.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Okie

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Aesma wrote:
US penalties for gas guzzlers are a joke, since SUVs and "trucks" like this are exempt. In France a gas guzzler incurrs a 20000€ tax, and from next year it will be 40000€, and 50000€ the year after. Everyday cars that are over a threshold pay a smaller tax, increasing with CO2 emissions. The tax brought 700 millions euros in last year, versus 42 millions $ in the US ! The money is used to subsidise hybrid and electric car purchases

Same here the taxes are levied on the poor to subsidize the rich who can afford the subsidized $120,000.00 electric vehicles.
Good plan.

Okie

casinterest

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Okie wrote:
Aesma wrote:
US penalties for gas guzzlers are a joke, since SUVs and "trucks" like this are exempt. In France a gas guzzler incurrs a 20000€ tax, and from next year it will be 40000€, and 50000€ the year after. Everyday cars that are over a threshold pay a smaller tax, increasing with CO2 emissions. The tax brought 700 millions euros in last year, versus 42 millions $ in the US ! The money is used to subsidise hybrid and electric car purchases

Same here the taxes are levied on the poor to subsidize the rich who can afford the subsidized $120,000.00 electric vehicles.
Good plan.

Okie

I don't see it as taxes levied on the poor. Gas taxes are levied on a consumption basis to pay for the roads. If you purchase a low mpg vehicle, you will pay more for the roadway infrastructure.

The Electric vehicles don't have much subsidy left. They are finally reaching a production state where the cost to retool and build manufacturing plants is more easily distributed across vehicles.

The coming fight will be one where taxes will need to be levied on vehicles by weight class and miles driven every year at the DMV.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
Okie wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Good plan.

Okie

I don't see it as taxes levied on the poor. Gas taxes are levied on a consumption basis to pay for the roads. If you purchase a low mpg vehicle, you will pay more for the roadway infrastructure.

The Electric vehicles don't have much subsidy left. They are finally reaching a production state where the cost to retool and build manufacturing plants is more easily distributed across vehicles.

The coming fight will be one where taxes will need to be levied on vehicles by weight class and miles driven every year at the DMV.

You might note the poor usually are poor and can not afford a high MPG new car and need to go to work, so they wind up driving older low MPG cars. Yes, it’s a tax on those that cannot afford a high MPG car, usually the poor.

Does the phrase, “let ‘em eat cake” ring a bell?

frmrCapCadet

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 am

If you have a limited budget for cars you buy a used one. The choices are normally ample.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

cpd

Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:10 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Okie wrote:

Good plan.

Okie

You might note the poor usually are poor and can not afford a high MPG new car and need to go to work, so they wind up driving older low MPG cars. Yes, it’s a tax on those that cannot afford a high MPG car, usually the poor.

I don't know, I just took a quick look at a fairly nice little small car for sale here, Skoda FABIA Wagon 70TSI, 5 Speed Manual AUD$18,990 driveaway. Pretty cheap and not bad, less than 5 litres/100km. There are plenty of almost brand new models available that also fit the bill. Probably same in USA - but I guess you would get bigger cars for the dollars. here also bigger cars are less sensible because it's often difficult to find parking. Small ones are easier for on street parking.

casinterest

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Okie wrote:

Good plan.

Okie

Plenty of civics, corollas and others that make the grade.

Sokes

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Okie wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Everyday cars that are over a threshold pay a smaller tax, increasing with CO2 emissions. The tax brought 700 millions euros in last year, versus 42 millions $ in the US ! The money is used to subsidise hybrid and electric car purchases

Good plan.

Okie

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technolog ... life_cycle

While what you say is true for innovators, it may not be true for early adopters. I don't know what proportion of cars sold in France today are electric. So I can't judge if you are right or wrong.

M564038

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Electric cars are Sexy. They pollute incrdeibly much less than Dinosaur cars, they have a wonderful acceleration and they don’t make Farting noises while doing it.
Zooooooooom!