Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

New Welch's Sparkling Apple Cider

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:59 pm

It looks like Welch's has introduced a new product this fall, a Sparkling Apple Cider. I picked up a bottle today at Target to try it soon. Apparently they are trying to go in direct competition with Martinelli's. I usually buy the Sparkling Rosé, but I decided to give this a try and will share my review soon. The Sparkling Red and White Grape Juices are way too sweet; the Rosé is much more refreshing. I hope the Sparkling Cider is good.

I think Welch's might have discontinued the Sparkling Mimosa, which Target previously carried but apparently replaced it with the Sparkling Cider. I never tried the Sparkling Mimosa, but based on some reviews, I wasn't missing much. I never seen it anywhere else but Target.

SheikhDjibouti

Re: New Welch's Sparkling Apple Cider

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:07 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
It looks like Welch's has introduced a new product this fall, a Sparkling Apple Cider. I picked up a bottle today at Target to try it soon. Apparently they are trying to go in direct competition with Martinelli's. I usually buy the Sparkling Rosé, but I decided to give this a try and will share my review soon. The Sparkling Red and White Grape Juices are way too sweet; the Rosé is much more refreshing. I hope the Sparkling Cider is good.

I think Welch's might have discontinued the Sparkling Mimosa, which Target previously carried but apparently replaced it with the Sparkling Cider. I never tried the Sparkling Mimosa, but based on some reviews, I wasn't missing much. I never seen it anywhere else but Target.

So, what is the alcohol content? I can't find it anywhere. :scratchchin:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

casinterest

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:10 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Where ever you go, there you are.

Kent350787

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:22 pm

I love the fact that the ingredients listing on the website has a huge bunch of grapes as the graphic.

Is sparkling apple cider not a thing in the US?
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

NIKV69

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:29 pm

Looks like too much sugar and carbonation for me but so good!
I am the Googlizer!!!

scbriml

Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

It really shouldn't surprise you to learn it doesn't contain alcohol at all. I mean, it's just fizzy apple juice, not really cider at all (as one glance at the ingredient list reveals).
https://www.welchs.com/welchs-sparkling-cider

Kent350787 wrote:
I love the fact that the ingredients listing on the website has a huge bunch of grapes as the graphic.

Yep, pretty funny. At least the bottle has a picture of apples on it.

1337Delta764 wrote:
I usually buy the Sparkling Rosé

You buy a pink, fizzy, non-alcoholic beverage? I'm speechless with surprise.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:55 am

scbriml wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

You buy a pink, fizzy, non-alcoholic beverage? I'm speechless with surprise.

It's not just the color. The Red and the White are way too sweet. When having a fancy meal, I would like my drinks to be refreshing with the right amount of sweetness, not liquid candy. The Rosé provides the perfect balance. Goes perfect with a nice chicken parmigiana with Parma Rosa sauce.

It looks like the Cider has a higher sugar content than the Rosé, but not as much as the Red or White. Hopefully it is at least like Martinelli's which isn't excessively sweet.
Last edited by 1337Delta764 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kent350787

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 am

It's a pity you guys don't have this great product in the US. The addition of a little verjuice cuts through the sweetness https://www.maggiebeer.com.au/products/ ... piEALw_wcB

I still find it too sweet, but others love it.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:09 am

Kent350787 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

https://www.martinellis.com/products/sparkling-cider/
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Kent350787

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:10 am

[url][/url]
EA CO AS wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

Cheers - it’s not something I’ve chosen to drink when in the US.

BlueberryWheats

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 am

I feel we in the UK should send missionaries to the US to spread the word and teachings of REAL cider.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

scbriml

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

You won't find many people outside the US calling that cider, but at least it's made from pressed apples.

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I feel we in the UK should send missionaries to the US to spread the word and teachings of REAL cider.

Amen, brother!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 pm

scbriml wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

You won't find many people outside the US calling that cider, but at least it's made from pressed apples.

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Amen, brother!

Ok, so what’s “cider” by your definition, then?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

casinterest

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:37 pm

scbriml wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Amen, brother!

In the US we call alcholic Ciderss "Hard Ciders" we have plenty of them in all shapes and sizes and tons of micro breweries. Sam Adams even has their own brand: Angry Orchard .

mad99

Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm

three-litre bottle of cider aka barrack-busters, strongbow

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:02 am

EA CO AS wrote:
scbriml wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Amen, brother!

"...by your definition" appears to be a cheap attack, with a clear implication that "your definition" is valueless.

The definition of cider accepted across most of the planet, is ...
"an alcoholic beverage made from the fermented juice of apples".

Now here's the really bad news; that definition has existed since a good few centuries before any Americans learned to read and write.
In fact, cider was probably produced in Northern Europe before the Northern European tribes had really mastered the art of reading and writing themselves, so it fell to our old friends the Romans to document it's existence, and the French to give it a name (cidre)

Fortunately there is an American institution, the Smithsonian, that provides an enlightened view of things.

Smithsonian Magazine wrote:
By the time the first Romans sailed to the British Isles in 55 B.C., the locals were drinking a cider-like drink made from apples, which their new visitors quickly fell in love with, the museum notes. Soon enough, cider spread throughout the Roman Empire and across Europe, becoming popular with people from the Germanic tribes to the Normans, whose conquest of England in the 9th century(¹) brought apple orchards and the very word “cider” into the English language.

(¹) Ok, so they say 9th century, I reckon it was 11th century, but what's two hundred years between friends eh? It's barely long enough for a nation to find it's feet.... :duck:

In the Americas, the earliest known provision for cider making is believed to have been carried on the Mayflower itself in 1620. Halfway through the journey, the ship was caught in a storm and one of its beams cracked. To save the ship, the beam was braced with "The great iron screw", taken from a cyder press.
Nine days after the Puritans landed a man by the name of William Blackstone planted the first apple trees in the New England colonies.
By 1775, one in ten New England families, most of them farmers, had a cider mill on the property.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180960662/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider_in_ ... ted_States

Today there is typically a requirement (in the US) to specify "hard cider" as distinct from "apple cider", which AFAICS dates back to 1920's Prohibition, and Temperance fanatics burning or uprooting the cider orchards to the point that only dessert or cooking apples escaped the axe or torch. The USA has been on a slow recovery ever since.

To be fair, the thread heading includes the phrase "apple cider", which for Americans implies non-alcoholic apple juice.

In other parts of the world, apple juice is called (wait for it) ... "apple juice".

And the only requirement to specify apple cider is to differentiate it from that other fabulous drink.. "pear cider".

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:41 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Amen, brother!

"...by your definition" appears to be a cheap attack, with a clear implication that "your definition" is valueless.

Oh FFS, I’d just shared an example of what is arguably the most recognized and consumed “cider” product in the U.S. and was - rightly or wrongly - told that no one outside the U.S. would call it cider, so I asked what his definition of cider was, since this apparently didn’t make the grade. There was no attack, implied or otherwise, and I don’t know why you’re making a federal case of this.

Kent350787

Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:03 am

I'm confused. So is Welch's a spakling apple juice, or a dealcoholised brewed/fermented product?

scbriml

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 am

EA CO AS wrote:

Most people, certainly in Europe, would expect cider to be alcoholic, traditionally made with fermented apple juice from pressed apples. Anything not alcoholic would basically be some form of apple juice or “apple drink”. You can also get “pear cider”, but that should really be called perry.

casinterest wrote:
In the US we call alcholic Ciderss "Hard Ciders" we have plenty of them in all shapes and sizes and tons of micro breweries.

Ok, thanks. That’s a clear distinction that will help me avoid disappointment the next time I’m back in the US (if Coronavirus ever allows).

Kent350787 wrote:
I'm confused. So is Welch's a spakling apple juice, or a dealcoholised brewed/fermented product?

From the ingredient list, it sounds like it’s basically carbonated water with added apple juice concentrate.

casinterest

Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Kent350787 wrote:

Sparkling Apple Juice. Think of something you would like to have that looks ok in a wine glass or Champaign glass, but is ok for kids and folks that don't want alcohol.
We use it all the time at big holiday events
Also remember that in the US, Welch's is a fruit company that will probably use a different name brand for their alcoholic content drinks if they have them.

In the US we view Cider as the mash product ( like applesauce ) that still has pulp in it. But Sparkling cider is apple juice with carbonation :)
You could ferment it, but in the US, most stores in Autumn have Apple Cider out in the open that is not alcoholic. For the alcoholic cider drink , go to the beer and wine aisles.

Currently in the US there has been a major resurgence of the hard ciders.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:15 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Oh FFS, I’d just shared an example of what is arguably the most recognized and consumed “cider” product in the U.S. and was - rightly or wrongly - told that no one outside the U.S. would call it cider, so I asked what his definition of cider was, since this apparently didn’t make the grade. There was no attack, implied or otherwise, and I don’t know why you’re making a federal case of this.

In that case, please allow me to most humbly apologize. :white:

Kent350787

Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Sparkling Apple Juice. Think of something you would like to have that looks ok in a wine glass or Champaign glass, but is ok for kids and folks that don't want alcohol.
We use it all the time at big holiday events
Also remember that in the US, Welch's is a fruit company that will probably use a different name brand for their alcoholic content drinks if they have them.

In the US we view Cider as the mash product ( like applesauce ) that still has pulp in it. But Sparkling cider is apple juice with carbonation :)
You could ferment it, but in the US, most stores in Autumn have Apple Cider out in the open that is not alcoholic. For the alcoholic cider drink , go to the beer and wine aisles.

Currently in the US there has been a major resurgence of the hard ciders.

Thanks - we have plenty of varieties of sparkling apple juice in Australia, but don't see them marketed in the same way. I think my kids have mainly just had sodas when in the US.

Also plenty of alcoholic ciders across a whole range of varieties (some of which may meet the Real Cider fans' high standards :) We are seeing more and more hard soda though....