Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cadet985
Topic Author

Total Apathy

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:55 am

With all that’s going on in the world this year, and in my life (sudden loss of my father), I’m feeling totally apathetic about EVERYTHING. Like I’ll vote in the election next week, but I don’t care about it like I usually do (or should).

Anyone else just feeling totally apathetic when it comes to everything?

I mean aside from the apathy, there’s definite depression. I’m gonna be alone for the holidays, and I am NOT looking forward to that.

Marc

Kno

Re: Total Apathy

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 am

I’m sorry you’re going through a period of loss and apathy - just know that it’s part of life and we all experience it. You’re not alone, and when you’re down sometimes the best you can do is just push through and better times will find you.

NIKV69

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:56 am

Sorry on the loss of your father and yes I am feeling slightly apathetic. It is the Covid fatigue factor. Having to cut back on going to certain places etc.
I am the Googlizer!!!

cpd

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:30 am

Cadet985 wrote:
With all that’s going on in the world this year, and in my life (sudden loss of my father), I’m feeling totally apathetic about EVERYTHING. Like I’ll vote in the election next week, but I don’t care about it like I usually do (or should).

I mean aside from the apathy, there’s definite depression. I’m gonna be alone for the holidays, and I am NOT looking forward to that.

Marc

The world has changed permanently and with your loss - this is normal, people go through that. You can't be a super-hero all the time, nobody can. Regardless of our situation - we all hit these points and some time or another.

I don't know about in your country, but here we have support organisations in place that you can ring up when you are going through tough times to get help.

Many people I know deal with this through exercise. That helps a lot. I hope you can find your way through this and don't be afraid to reach out if/when you need help.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:37 am

I just switched jobs, and I took a week off before starting...I also felt apathetic. Covid, a big life change (gotta move yet again), and questioning if I'm truly happy with how life is or whether I need something else to spark interest...you're definitely not alone.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Sokes

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:57 am

I'm sorry for your loss.
What do you normally enjoy?
Try to go for daily walks.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

casinterest

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Fill the void with something productive.
Walk, new exercise class , Bike.

Consume the empty with something new. You might not care for now, but maybe a change of perspective and DTD operation will help change that.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:24 am

I’m a debt collector. I make 200-300 calls a day to try to get some money. My goal (set by my boss) was $11,500 for October. I’m not even 1/10 of the way there. I come home from work scared to death that I’m going to lose this job, not be able to find another one, and lose my house. I’m on heavy sleeping meds, yet averaging 6-7 hours of mediocre sleep, at best according to my watch.

andz

Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:02 pm

In the last year I have lost both my parents (2 weeks apart), my job in December 2019, my wife lost her job in August this year, it can seem too much in a short time.

To stop my mind turning to mush I started learning French on Duolingo between job searches, I started Italian as well for a planned holiday that didn't materialise due to Covid. I also used it to brush up on my German.

I am now on 209 consecutive days language learning and today I had the first real job interview all year that will lead to a second interview.

Hang in there.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Sokes

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:53 am

Cadet985 wrote:
I’m a debt collector. I make 200-300 calls a day to try to get some money. My goal (set by my boss) was $11,500 for October. I’m not even 1/10 of the way there. I come home from work scared to death that I’m going to lose this job, not be able to find another one, and lose my house. I’m on heavy sleeping meds, yet averaging 6-7 hours of mediocre sleep, at best according to my watch.

I think worse than the death of your father are the existential worries and the loneliness.
Start sport. Sport releases endorphins.
https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/ ... 20morphine.
I like bicycle, but swimming and jogging are also good. It may take you six weeks or so to build up muscle and reach a good fitness, at any rate compared to your today's fitness.

A sad person has problems to find a partner. Somebody in a happy relationship looks happy and gets chances when not needed. Sport should make you look happier.

In case you loose your job, you will be mentally much better equiped. Stress is caused by a multitude of factors, lack of sport being one of them.

Also, as somebody else already pointed out, find yourself some interest.

Joy comes by activity. Our society focuses on possessions, but few things are as enjoyable than walking three days in winter next to a camel through desert/ half desert or a bicycle tour.

A long journey starts with a single step.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Newark727

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:52 am

Don't be afraid to get help if you need it. Depression is a serious illness.

M564038

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 am

I think it is important to know that most people go through several rough patches in life. It is a very usual occurence, and you are not alone about it.
Don’t be afraid to seek professional help, all kinds of people do this all the time.
Had this pandemic lock-down thing struck about 10 years ago, I would have been very lonely, very out-of-work and broke and very depressed.
It would have passed eventually, but it would have been rough.
I have been very lucky with the timing of this, everything is on a uptick for me personally, and my life is by chance «rigged» to almost get the better out of this situation, both financially and socially (family, baby, homeoffice plus paternity leave)but at the same time that is pure luck, and it feels like I dodged a bullet.

So what I am saying is it could have been me, I got lucky this time, next time the roles could be reversed. That is life. This is not the predetermined condition and nothing is static. The older generation gradually disapears and times goes by. But, We do have a built in rescillience, circumstances change gradually, we mature, we get lucky now and then, depressions pass, opportunities do come along and there is always bright spots ahead even if you can’t see them.

Cadet985
Topic Author

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:12 am

I mean I’m smoking and drinking a lot more.

And I just got my hours cut at work. Went from working 5 days a week to two. Applying for other jobs, but just got rejected from one today...less than three hours after the phone interview.

Max Q

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:27 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

Heartfelt condolences on your loss

Grief will do that to you, I’m going through it myself and completely understand the apathy

I know there’s not much I can say but don’t lose hope and try to stay occupied

Slowly things will improve, they won’t be the same but they will get better
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg