Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Halloween 2020

Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm not a Halloween guy but as I've gotten older I'm slowly starting to come around. COVID has pretty much ruined Halloween but my girlfriend wanted to do something anyway. It took us a while for costume ideas but we settled on Ron Swanson and Tammy II from Parks and Recreation. My personal favorite idea was for us to be a horse, I'm tall so I would've been the head and I would've also had the chance to say my girlfriend is a horses ass :biggrin:

Last year I was in Hong Kong for vacation and went to the bars there with a guy I met hiking on Lantau Island and some of his friends.

What are y'all a plans for Halloween?

Btw we don't plan on being in a big crowd, if anything we'll just be those weirdos who dress up and not do anything.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Ken777

Re: Halloween 2020

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 pm

My wife and I have enjoyed handing out candy to the smaller kids. The wife loves checking out the costumes the small kids are wearing and the grandkids love filling out the lolly bags to hand out. After each year the wife says "next year" we're cutting down!" 2 weeks ago we were at Sam's and she grabbed a somewhat larger bag with 242 pieces so I guess it's next year that we'll cut back. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LabQuest

Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:02 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Getting drunk and cowering in my completely dark house hoping nobody rings the doorbell.

Kent350787

Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:48 am

t home wathcing movies with the immediate family.

In normal years it has usually started with 50-60 kids using our front yard as a staging point before neighbourhood trick or treating, with many families coming back to our place for a huge BBQ. We don't want the hassle of policing a 20 visitor limit, so have decided not to do anything.

I feel a little sad.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

ltbewr

Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:40 am

One doesn't need to watch classic (or not so classic) horror films this year, just watch the news programs and their coverage on Covid-19 as the numbers of infected, hospitalized and dead are a very real horror story. In the past, it was fears of candy with razor blades in them, now it is Covid-19 virus bits on their packages that could make us sick or kill us. This year wearing a 'mask' is a good thing, not hiding their ID. Instead of fictional characters that do horrible deadly things with chainsaws or knives, we have a real life evil person in President Trump lying about wearing masks, worried about the economy too much and causing 10's of 1000's of more deaths.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:05 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I'm not a Halloween guy but as I've gotten older I'm slowly starting to come around. COVID has pretty much ruined Halloween but my girlfriend wanted to do something anyway. It took us a while for costume ideas but we settled on Ron Swanson and Tammy II from Parks and Recreation. My personal favorite idea was for us to be a horse, I'm tall so I would've been the head and I would've also had the chance to say my girlfriend is a horses ass :biggrin:

Last year I was in Hong Kong for vacation and went to the bars there with a guy I met hiking on Lantau Island and some of his friends.

Btw we don't plan on being in a big crowd, if anything we'll just be those weirdos who dress up and not do anything.

I'm quite "anti Halloween" since I don't consider it to be a Swedish tradition/holiday but rather a fairly new "fake" holiday created by aggressive
marketing from stores and shops just they could sell more candy, pumpkins, costumes and etc.

Alla helgons dag (all saints' day) is the proper tradition/holiday (and that comes from someone who is very atheistic) with people visiting the
cemeteries to visit the graves of loved one who no longer are with us. Some will be buy wreaths and/or flowers and candles to put on the gave.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

TangoandCash

Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 pm

I'm handing out candy as usual, well except wearing a mask. Quite a few of the local 'trunk or treat' and similar events have been cancelled so I'm hoping for a higher than usual turnout in the neighborhood. I get a kick out of seeing all the ghosts, goblins, and superheroes (not that I can identify most of the superheroes these days).

I'm hoping for a higher than usual turnout because I seem to have purchased a higher than usual amount of candy, and I'd hate to have to eat all the leftovers!

einsteinboricua

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:12 am

The gym I go to had a costume party yesterday. I whipped out my Arab Sheikh costume and took pictures as if I was working out before taking it all off.

Tonight, I'm stuck coding a homework assignment...JOY!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Okie

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Quite a cut back from previous years.
Normally I get more than 800 Trick or Treaters, because of Covid I cut back on Candy purchase for about 500.
Only got about 100. So barely 10% of normal.
Two giant bags of candy going to be donated.

Turned my clocks back before going to bed.
An extra hour of 2020 is like getting a bonus track on a Yoko Ono album. :yuck:

Okie

1337Delta764

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:43 am

We surprisingly had more kids than any other year. We had a table in front of our house decorated with purple fairy lights with plastic bags of candy, glow necklaces, and glow wristbands. We ran out of the candy bags that we just threw some leftover candy on the table. We also nearly ran out of glow wristbands.

Perhaps it could be that Halloween was on a Saturday, and/or the new subdivision that opened in our neighborhood.

WA707atMSP

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm

I thought nobody would be trick or treating, so I didn't buy any candy, but I was surprised to see at least three dozen kids going door to door on my block, despite Covid and a (typical for this time of year in MSP) cold night. Most of the kids were <8 years old, and it's nice their parents didn't want them to miss out on Halloween.

Many of my neighbors had bags of candy on their porches, and let kids help themselves. One neighbor even left a 12 pack of beer next to the candy, so parents could enjoy a treat, too.