Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

acavpics
Topic Author

Texas GOP wants court to throw out at least 127K Harris county drive thruballots - Can it actually be done?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Can the judge actually order the nullification of this many LEGALLY cast ballots just a day before election? I never once thought that the GOP voter suppression tactics would become this dire. I am so shocked that I don't even know what to say .

What do you expect to happen here?

Link to story is provided below:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/politics ... index.html

If these do get tossed out, then I expect to see protests that dwarf those that we saw during the summer.

c933103

Re: Texas GOP wants court to throw out at least 127K Harris county drive thruballots - Can it actually be done?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:28 pm

If the court ruled it illegal then would they be legally cast? But then the big question is why would a judge rule it illegal

MaverickM11

Re: Texas GOP wants court to throw out at least 127K Harris county drive thruballots - Can it actually be done?

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Wouldn't surprise me, although I understand the chances are slim to none since it reflects a similar lawsuit that was tossed last week.

The main architect behind this is Steven Hotze, who left Abbott a voicemail requesting that he shoot protesters "Kill 'em. Thank you", He's also unhinged because of teh gheyz saying "I’ve decided, I’m not going to fight the homosexuals with sweet words. I’m going to fight them with God’s word.” So completely crazy, violent, and full of white rage--in other words your average, middle of the road republican.

Just another friendly reminder that there is no voter fraud, but republicans are, or are trying to, suppress hundreds of thousands of votes at a time, all over the country, in predominantly non white districts. I wonder why :scratchchin:

seb146

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:41 pm

This is a sign of things to come, I am afraid. The seeds of doubt have already been sown. We have been hearing for months about the Chinese sending in millions of fake mail in ballots and how mail in ballots are fraud.

This particular case is typical Republican trying to steal the election by cheating. Almost all of these ballots in Harris County come from minorities and Democratic voters. The only way Republicans can win is cheating.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:44 pm

This involved 'drive in voting' where a person could drive up in their vehicle and cast their votes without leaving their car. This was a great advantage of those who are physically handicapped but could drive, those that wanted to avoid any indoor contact due to Covid-19, or standing in long lines. The problem is that 'drive in' voting not specified by the Texas state statutes and legislature, the US Constitution leave to state legislatures their rules and standards for voting, the local elections commissioner cannot do voting in any such form or it is not available in other counties.
We are in one of the greatest health emergencies in 100 years. There should be flexibility but some (Trump, Republicans) fear the districts using such methods to vote isn't in their favor, I bet if it was the opposite, they would support these temporary, emergency voting processes.

N867DA

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm

In person votes can't be counted either because the Texas legislature has not prescribed the appropriate number of parking spaces or air conditioning standards . Only mail-in ballots should be allowed.

Typical conservatives--always trying to disenfranchise people.

flyingturtle

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:05 pm

It's my opinion that Bush v. Gore should have voided the Florida result in 2000, sending a message to each state:

Each state guarantees that every vote will be counted, provided it was not fraudulently cast, and it arrived at the officially designated place before the officially designated deadline.

ltbewr wrote:
The problem is that 'drive in' voting not specified by the Texas state statutes and legislature

And the voters were still acting in good faith. That's why their votes must be protected.

cpd

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:20 pm

To throw out that many votes that people have made in good faith is bringing the USA down to the level of many third world nations and their sham elections.

If this goes ahead the rest of the world must put sanctions on the USA. This is the measure the USA would apply to others.

bennett123

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 pm

'The plaintiffs, which include Republican activist Steve Hotze and three Republican candidates for office, argue that drive-thru voting violates federal law'.

He then says 'The plaintiffs also argue it violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment, in that the county is adopting a manner of voting that has not been adopted by other Texas counties'.

So is it all Federal or State matter?..

He then says, 'The petition argues nine of the 10 locations are in heavily Democratic areas'. So is he saying that it would be OK if they were Republican areas?.

flyingturtle

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:45 pm

bennett123 wrote:
He then says 'The plaintiffs also argue it violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment, in that the county is adopting a manner of voting that has not been adopted by other Texas counties'.

...when did equal protection ever matter in US elections? :rotfl:

And how do the plaintiffs even have legal standing? Are they affected in any way by the decision to hold a drive through voting? Have they voted normally, indoors at a voting booth, and now they're fearing drive-through ballots are going to be counted twice or even thrice?

Aesma

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:46 pm

That last one is kind of defeating their argument. GOP candidates suing because Dems voted makes them look really bad.

einsteinboricua

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:06 pm

At this point, if the courts rule those votes to be completely voided, they will trigger a BIG crisis.

1. If people submitted their votes by drive-thru voting and those ballots are voided, can they return to a polling place to cast their ballot as they should?
2. If so, will they be given an extension to show up to the polls? Imagine the ballots being voided on Monday evening...how can you know who showed up and notify them their vote has been annulled and they need to vote again?
3. What's the purpose of an election if courts will rule on what's acceptable and what isn't without regards to circumstances? We all know laws are meant to be followed, but I think we can all agree that with the pandemic happening and the need to take extra precautions, if drive-thru voting is not explicitly prohibited and still guarantees a valid vote to be cast, it should be allowed. No different than voting by mail.

Of course, if the votes are ruled void, then TX's 38 EC votes could be up in the air come the official tally of the EC vote in January. I'm fairly certain that both a Rep and Senator will object to the way TX's votes were counted. Both chambers would have to sustain the protest, and I'm not sure if this kind of protest would be a valid one.

einsteinboricua

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:20 pm

Update: The TX SC just denied the motion.

There is still a federal hearing tomorrow, but I can see why people are nervous, when an uber-conservative judge is in charge of the case...I wouldn't be surprised if he immediately rules the ballots invalid, even if the Texas Supreme Court had no problem (this is, after all, a state matter, not a federal one, and all guidelines are being followed to reduce any potential for fraud).

Ken777

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:25 pm

flyingturtle wrote:

And the voters were still acting in good faith. That's why their votes must be protected.

The problems are that neither Trump nor most of the GOP politicians are not acting in good faith. Good faith would require that they change their behavior dramatically - not possible when the GOP is a minority party and has to use every dirty track in the book to win. With the courts stacked by the GOP they will probably choose to ignore ny efforts to clean up their act.

Fortunately the landscape is changing for non-whites and their power is rising. Trump will display the probable roadmap to attacking those 'foreigners" and people of color, which is long to give the Dem's attorneys their own legal road map to effectively counter attack the worst of the GOP obstruction, that helps some for 2020, but will be more important in future elections.

apodino

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:52 pm

They don't have a case here. They are trying to make the argument that only the State Legislature has the power. However, the state supreme court has ruled that basically what is being done is consistent with State law. The issue with going to a federal court is, basically you are asking a federal court to rule on state law. There is no way this gets upheld in the long run. The proper ruling from a federal court here in my opinion is to rule that they do not have jurisdiction in this case, and thus the State Supreme Court ruling should prevail.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:14 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

There is still a federal hearing tomorrow, but I can see why people are nervous, when an uber-conservative judge is in charge of the case...I wouldn't be surprised if he immediately rules the ballots invalid, even if the Texas Supreme Court had no problem (this is, after all, a state matter, not a federal one, and all guidelines are being followed to reduce any potential for fraud).

So lets say that tomorrow the federal judge rules the votes invalid. It is game over then?

What happens/can happen next? (I'm nowhere close to an expert on the judicial system).

moo

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:54 pm

acavpics wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

So lets say that tomorrow the federal judge rules the votes invalid. It is game over then?

What happens/can happen next? (I'm nowhere close to an expert on the judicial system).

Given the US Constitution reserves the right of choosing the manner of elections to the States and there is no Congressional involvement here, how does a Federal judge get to rule on this?

DocLightning

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:02 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

A federal judge wouldn't just defy precedent like that because it's politically convenient? They can't do that, can they??? :shock:

Look, if Mr. Biden is within 100,000 votes of winning Texas, then he's won the Presidency. And if the federal courts then actually carry through with such an action, I suspect that will galvanize any reluctant Democratic legislators into ensuring that the Courts cannot do it again.

casinterest

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:08 am

DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

A federal judge wouldn't just defy precedent like that because it's politically convenient? They can't do that, can they??? :shock:

Look, if Mr. Biden is within 100,000 votes of winning Texas, then he's won the Presidency. And if the federal courts then actually carry through with such an action, I suspect that will galvanize any reluctant Democratic legislators into ensuring that the Courts cannot do it again.

My hope would be that the Federal judge just drops it as the State Supreme Court already ruled on it.

cpd

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:00 am

DocLightning wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

A conservative judge would have a duty to a conservative government, right?

And even if there was a precedent already, what's to stop him creating an alternative-precedent?

By the way I'm claiming rights to 'alternative-precedent' term in case this whole thing turns into a storm.

Kent350787

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:33 am

cpd wrote:
[

A conservative judge would have a duty to a conservative government, right?

And even if there was a precedent already, what's to stop him creating an alternative-precedent?

By the way I'm claiming rights to 'alternative-precedent' term in case this whole thing turns into a storm.

Conservative judges are appointed for their core values rather than their poltical affiliation. Their role is still to interpret the law and justify their decisions within this framework.

The nature of their appointment may colour their assessment of the evidence, but they rule on the law as they interpret - it's not necessarily a direct "you appointed me, I will always rule in your favour"

FGITD

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:48 am

My biggest takeaway from situations like this is that future elections need to have a freeze date, where after said date, no more changes to polling places, rules, etc. I think there's also going to be a shift from election "day" to more of an election period, with a tabulation day.

It's absolutely insane that literally 1 day prior to the election, an issue regarding legality of a manner of voting can be heard in court and potentially nullify those votes. There are elementary schools cafeterias that run a weekly menu more effectively than some counties run elections.

And of course this all disregards the concern people should have one that one party runs on the "get out and vote!" line, while the other tries to limit, discredit and invalidate as many voters as possible...

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 am

c933103 wrote:
If the court ruled it illegal then would they be legally cast? But then the big question is why would a judge rule it illegal

There is this thing in legal theory about stuff being legal until it is found illegal. So, even if curb side voting is ruled illegal, the votes cast before that decission have still been legally cast until that ruling came down.

Best regards
Thomas

CarlosSi

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 am

If you care about democracy and are a real patriot (unlike any of the GOP who could care less about a fair election WHICH OUR SOLDIERS FOUGHT AND DIED FOR that freedom), you would UPHOLD those votes /somehow/ get counted and not disqualify them. The founders would have allowed it or been flexible. THere is nothing harmful or negligent about counting ballots just because they were received a certain way. You can call their collection "illegal" and prosecute it, but you are obligated to count those ballots or return them for IMMEDIATE resending.

This is nothing but a legal sham. If their concern is truly the integrity of the vote, make ***ing sure those ballots get counted one way or another, or go to the graves of every fallen soldier and tell them "I don't care about what you died for". Vast majority of the GOP cheats have lost the right to call themselves "patriots". Nothing but false flag waving. This is worse than any stupid kneel.

Sorry, I've just had it x100 with the GOP and their terrorists threatening to kill others.

art

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:47 am

flyingturtle wrote:
It's my opinion that Bush v. Gore should have voided the Florida result in 2000, sending a message to each state:

Each state guarantees that every vote will be counted, provided it was not fraudulently cast, and it arrived at the officially designated place before the officially designated deadline.

It is my opinion that control of the exercise and counting of votes in a democracy (where the people vote every so often to choose their political representatives) should be entirely apolitical in nature. I think that too many people in America have lost sight of the purpose of an election. They no longer subscribe to the view that results should reflect the choice of the majority of the voting electorate and have thereby ceased to be supporters of their democratic system.

People who believe in the virtue of democracy do not seek to subvert it by raising impediments to the people casting their ballot. The object of an election in a democracy is not for your side to win. It is to determine the expressed will of the people.

flyingturtle

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:17 am

art wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

It is my opinion that control of the exercise and counting of votes in a democracy (where the people vote every so often to choose their political representatives) should be entirely apolitical in nature. I think that too many people in America have lost sight of the purpose of an election. They no longer subscribe to the view that results should reflect the choice of the majority of the voting electorate and have thereby ceased to be supporters of their democratic system.

People who believe in the virtue of democracy do not seek to subvert it by raising impediments to the people casting their ballot. The object of an election in a democracy is not for your side to win. It is to determine the expressed will of the people.

I agree with you.

And then, because it's a vote for a federal office, voters in all states should vote in exactly the same manner, and the rights of the voters shall be protected equally.

In one state you can vote with a fishing permit. In another one, a student's ID isn't allowed, but a gun license is. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

art

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
... because it's a vote for a federal office, voters in all states should vote in exactly the same manner, and the rights of the voters shall be protected equally.

Whatever arrangements were made for voting when your country fought off the yoke of King George's government across the pond, they seem to have become something of a troublesome anachronism. Your proposition of a uniform system throughout the country for a national activity - voting to choose a head of state (being a head of all states) - seems logical. I don't know how this works in other countries composed of a federation of states but I suspect that there is a lot more conformity in electoral procedure across the different states that make up the country than there is in the US.

Tugger

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Well , this is something to note:
A federal judge in Texas on Monday appeared skeptical of an attempt by Republicans to throw out about 127,000 votes already cast in the U.S. presidential election at drive-through voting sites in Houston, a Democratic-leaning area.

On the eve of Election Day, U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen said the Republicans who brought the case faced an “uphill road” in convincing him that the votes should be voided.

The judge said the plaintiffs needed to show that Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins, a Democrat, had an “evil motive” in allowing drive-through voting as an alternative during the coronavirus pandemic.

Hanen also questioned the last-minute timing of the case.

“Didn’t we test this in the primaries this summer?” The judge asked a lawyer for the plaintiffs,

https://in.reuters.com/article/usa-elec ... NKBN27I2B0

Tugg

acavpics
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Tugger wrote:
A federal judge in Texas on Monday appeared skeptical of an attempt by Republicans to throw out about 127,000 votes already cast in the U.S. presidential election at drive-through voting sites in Houston, a Democratic-leaning area.

On the eve of Election Day, U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen said the Republicans who brought the case faced an “uphill road” in convincing him that the votes should be voided.

The judge said the plaintiffs needed to show that Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins, a Democrat, had an “evil motive” in allowing drive-through voting as an alternative during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Didn’t we test this in the primaries this summer?” The judge asked a lawyer for the plaintiffs,

Tugg

I just read the article whose link you provided. And I think it is safe to say that we might not have to worry for now. :bouncy:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

casinterest

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:14 pm

acavpics wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I just read the article whose link you provided. And I think it is safe to say that we might not have to worry for now. :bouncy:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like the GOP is working hard on being Anti American, and that is what the Texas Supreme Court basically stated and what this Federal judge is stating in the opening. How is allowing more people to vote a bad thing?

This seems like something out of Venezuela the way the GOP is looking invalidate votes.

cpd

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:22 pm

casinterest wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like the GOP is working hard on being Anti American, and that is what the Texas Supreme Court basically stated and what this Federal judge is stating in the opening. How is allowing more people to vote a bad thing?

This seems like something out of Venezuela the way the GOP is looking invalidate votes.

Damn - I want a refund. I wanted to see these votes thrown out and a huge storm erupt. :(

Anyhow, on face value it looks like corrupt conduct by the conservative side and nothing more than the tricks we see in third world countries from despots trying to retain power at all costs, we even have the street gangs and thugs attacking others.

bhill

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:36 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

...when did equal protection ever matter in US elections? :rotfl:

And how do the plaintiffs even have legal standing? Are they affected in any way by the decision to hold a drive through voting? Have they voted normally, indoors at a voting booth, and now they're fearing drive-through ballots are going to be counted twice or even thrice?

I have wondered this myself. I had thought a lawsuit could only be brought before a Court if damage has been shown to have occurred, not IF "something" "may" happen.....

acavpics
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:12 pm

cpd wrote:
casinterest wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn - I want a refund. I wanted to see these votes thrown out and a huge storm erupt. :(

Uhm no thanks. We've seen enough uproar and protests this year. Let's just get a wash out democratic victory as quick as possible.

ER757

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:16 pm

This once proud country has already begun its slide into Banana Republic territory and if this was allowed to happen it would simply grease the skids. Trump and his minions are clearly desperate at this point knowing the only chance they have is suppressing votes or legalese shenanigans.

Tugger

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 pm

It will be interesting to hear Judge Andrew Hanen called an "activist judge" if he does in fact toss the case or rules against.

Of course still at this point we do not know what the outcome will be. (Ain't no chicken countin' goin' on here when all we got is eggs. Honestly his "evil" comment is a bit odd to me.)

Tugg

luckyone

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Ruling in. The votes will count.

Tugger

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 pm

luckyone wrote:

To whit:
A federal judge in Texas rejected a Republican-led effort to invalidate around 127,000 drive-thru ballots, finding that the plaintiffs lacked standing to sue. The ruling came down one day after the highest court in Texas dismissed a challenge against drive-thru voting and one day before Election Day.

“I’m not happy with that finding,” U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, widely described as one of the most conservative federal jurists on the Texas bench, remarked from the bench. “But the way I look at it, the law requires it.”
[...]
Attorney David Hobbs, a Harris County resident who voted on the first early voting day on Oct. 13, asserted that the GOP theory of injury is that the drive-thru ballots will be counted.

“That’s not an injury,” Hobbs said. “That’s an election!”
[...]

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/c ... -in-texas/

Tugg

N867DA

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:26 pm

luckyone wrote:

Thank God. Unquestionably the right decision, but there is no upper bound to Republican attempts to disenfranchise people.

sierrakilo44

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Tugger wrote:
“I’m not happy with that finding,” U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, widely described as one of the most conservative federal jurists on the Texas bench, remarked from the bench. “But the way I look at it, the law requires it.”

Sounds like: “If it were up to me I’d disqualify these (mainly Democrat) votes, but I begrudgingly have to follow “the law” so sorry my GOP friends, can’t help you out here”.

Shows you how partisan the US has become.

Don’t worry though, Judge Hanen ordered all the mail in ballots to be segregated so they can be tossed out later either by the Federal Appeals court or the Supreme Court, now stacked under the GOP’s favour, which the plaintiffs in this case have said they will do.

This case is not over yet......

flyguy89

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:35 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Sounds like: “If it were up to me I’d disqualify these (mainly Democrat) votes, but I begrudgingly have to follow “the law” so sorry my GOP friends, can’t help you out here”.

Shows you how partisan the US has become.

Don’t worry though, Judge Hanen ordered all the mail in ballots to be segregated so they can be tossed out later either by the Federal Appeals court or the Supreme Court, now stacked under the GOP’s favour, which the plaintiffs in this case have said they will do.

This case is not over yet......

Actually no, he specifically stated he would have denied the GOP an injunction even if they did have standing. Direct quote from the judge on his ruling:

"If I thought plaintiffs had standing, I would deny the injunction as to votes that have already taken place."

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:37 am

The plaintiffs are still trying to appeal to the 5th Circuit, though odds are that the motion will be denied because, as the district judge ruled, the plaintiffs lack standing (how are they directly harmed by the votes?). However, THIS is why courts should be above politics: given the makeup of the circuit (and now the SCOTUS), how do we know that a judge may disagree with a district judge ruling and cause headaches this close to an election?

flyguy89

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:50 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The plaintiffs are still trying to appeal to the 5th Circuit, though odds are that the motion will be denied because, as the district judge ruled, the plaintiffs lack standing (how are they directly harmed by the votes?). However, THIS is why courts should be above politics: given the makeup of the circuit (and now the SCOTUS), how do we know that a judge may disagree with a district judge ruling and cause headaches this close to an election?

Hannon is one of the most conservative judges on the federal bench. Suffice it to say, if they couldn't convince even him, they're probably dead in the water.

moo

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 am

flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Hannon is one of the most conservative judges on the federal bench. Suffice it to say, if they couldn't convince even him, they're probably dead in the water.

At this point, the worry is that its not whether the judge could be convinced, but whether the judge has already made their mind up based on party affiliation and squeezes a favourable judgement through based on some interpretation of law anyway. Sorting that out could take months or years, well past the point at which the results can be changed.

tommy1808

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:27 am

moo wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

At this point, the worry is that its not whether the judge could be convinced, but whether the judge has already made their mind up based on party affiliation and squeezes a favourable judgement through based on some interpretation of law anyway. Sorting that out could take months or years, well past the point at which the results can be changed.

I am actually surprised there is anything to rule on really...... "Those ballots where cast in good faith, so they count" should be the end of that hearing, regardless of legality in future elections.

best regards
Thomas

Tugger

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:41 am

tommy1808 wrote:
I am actually surprised there is anything to rule on really...... "Those ballots where cast in good faith, so they count" should be the end of that hearing, regardless of legality in future elections.

And in fact that is exactly what was ruled here. So have faith.

Tugg

tommy1808

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 am

Tugger wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

And in fact that is exactly what was ruled here. So have faith.

Tugg

that is a relieve....

flyguy89

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:59 am

moo wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Regardless of the worry, it's clearly not happening fortunately. The judiciary deserves a bit more credit than that.

tommy1808

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:07 am

flyguy89 wrote:
moo wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

The judiciary deserves a bit more credit than that.

:checkmark:
placing a judge on a bench hoping for them to be partisan hacks and those judges actually doing that are luckily two entirely different things...

best regards
Thomas

art

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 am

moo wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

This all sounds astonishing to someone living in a country with a proper judicial system. I say that because in a proper judicial system the duty pf judges is to make unbiased decisions based solely on the law. Any system which sets out to have the same facts presented to different judges resulting in different decisions due to the bias of the judges is a failure.