Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NYCVIE
Topic Author

So....What's going to happen November 4?

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:00 am

We're just about 48 hours (!) from Election Day here in the United States, and with what's clearly an extremely emotionally charged election, what do you think the day after is going to look like? Axios is reporting that sources close to the President say he's planning on taking to the podium if it looks like he's performing well on Election Day. Many cities have already prepared for Tuesday by boarding up shops. Absolutely crazy that it's really come to this.

I definitely foresee aggressive protests and even riots no matter who's performing well on Tuesday. We've already seen from 2016 that the anti-Trump crowd is ready to take to the streets and in the past weeks we've seen more aggressive acts from the pro-Trump crowd as well. All in all isn't looking too great in my opinion. Also, even though we surely won't know the actual result of the election on Tuesday night because the high number of mail in votes I can't see the media not blowing things up anyways which would add fuel to the fire.

What do you all think?

NIKV69

Re: So....What's going to happen November 4?

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:09 am

A second Trump term and the fear monger phrase "voter suppression" will take the place of "Russia interference" on the MSM. I am sure many more cities will burn and be looted.

Aaron747

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:10 am

It's an incredible thing to be witnessing. At the same time, it's ridiculous to be putting this version of America on display to the world. Incredible that we have allowed indecency and incompetence to flourish at this level - to the point where their adherents demand to be taken seriously.

acavpics

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:18 am

NIKV69 wrote:
A second Trump term and the fear monger phrase "voter suppression" will take the place of "Russia interference" on the MSM. I am sure many more cities will burn and be looted.

Zip your lips, Alex Jones lover.

NIKV69

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:36 am

acavpics wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Oh so none of the things I mentioned have been happening? :sarcastic:

Kent350787

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:47 am

NIKV69 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I don't think anyone can deny voter suppression has been happening.

Aaron747

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Methinks you may not be that informed on what's actually happening.

Have a look at this piece by a conservative from the Niskanen Center. You may remember Niskanen was a prominent economic adviser to the Reagan administration.

https://thebulwark.com/the-trouble-with ... -argument/

seahawk

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:27 am

Trump will declare himself the winner.

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:29 am

seahawk wrote:

That will be November 3rd....

best regards
Thomas

CarlosSi

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:29 am

Well certainly I hope the side that doesn't intimidate or threaten people with violence (by means such as being present at the polls with a firearm, or outright saying you will shoot people who vote a certain way) for having a certain ideology WINS, otherwise they would happen to be... what's the word I'm looking for? Oh right, terrorists... and we wouldn't want terrorists in power now would we?

astuteman

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:59 am

Aaron747 wrote:
It's an incredible thing to be witnessing. At the same time, it's ridiculous to be putting this version of America on display to the world. Incredible that we have allowed indecency and incompetence to flourish at this level - to the point where their adherents demand to be taken seriously.

Can I echo these sentiments from across the pond?
It is with great dismay that many of us (most of us, I suspect) have been watching the steady dismantling of US societal norms by the Trump and his team.

We see the so-called "law and order" President openly supporting illegal violence, going so far as to criticise the FBI for investigating Trump fans in Texas trying to run a Biden campaign bus off the road

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/us ... d=msedgdhp

We watch his supporters deliberately blocking main highways

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/tr ... r-BB1aAPiD

We see clear evidence that the far-right extremist groups that feel empowered by this President have no qualms about travelling great distances to deliberately incite violence at Black Lives Matter rallies, violence which Trump will then blame on left wing protesters and Democratic governors, as will certain right wing posters on this thread, I suspect...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... orge-floyd

Attempts at voter suppression are already becoming an accepted norm..

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/31/poli ... index.html

It certainly appears that Trump and his more ardent supporters will stop at virtually nothing in order to secure victory in an election that left to legal and civil means they would find unwinnable

Either way, it's pretty clear that Trump intends to declare victory on the day pretty much whatever happens, and then try and use that victory declaration, to suppress the results in any states
that threaten his declared victory.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/tr ... d=msedgntp

I hope the election day passes without major violence, but look on with a somewhat sick anticipation to what might happen given the anarchy which this administration has presided over.
I wish you all well.
It's not my election, but from across the pond, it looks very much like there is an urgent need to get rid of this narcissistic maniac before the "U" in "USA" becomes a historical footnote - if it isn't already.
Good luck

Rgds

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:43 am

The world will continue to turn . . . :roll:

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:55 am

Braybuddy wrote:
The world will continue to turn . . . :roll:

well.. even an US election has less than 2.138×10 to the 29th power Joule, so yes, it will keep turning. They question is how much burning will happen on earth.

best regards
Thomas

RyanairGuru

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:04 am

Aaron747 wrote:
It's an incredible thing to be witnessing. At the same time, it's ridiculous to be putting this version of America on display to the world.

Over the weekend, the Australian Government updated their travel advice for Australian citizens in the USA, due to concerns of widespread demonstrations, protests and violence.

I have seen warnings of election violence in developing countries, but never before have I seen an advanced democracy warn of election violence in another advanced democracy.

It is actually scary that this is what the world has come to.

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:09 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
They question is how much burning will happen on earth.

best regards
Thomas

:roll: :roll:

flyguy89

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:34 am

Nothing. If the election is close enough that it comes down to a state like Pennsylvania, then the final result may not be known until Friday since they can't start counting mail in votes until election day.

flyguy89

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
It's an incredible thing to be witnessing. At the same time, it's ridiculous to be putting this version of America on display to the world.

Over the weekend, the Australian Government updated their travel advice for Australian citizens in the USA, due to concerns of widespread demonstrations, protests and violence.

I have seen warnings of election violence in developing countries, but never before have I seen an advanced democracy warn of election violence in another advanced democracy.

Then you must not be paying attention. Those types of warnings aren't that atypical, even in developed countries.

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:38 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

:roll: :roll:

because there have not been attacks and plans up to and including blowing up cops already?

best regards
Thomas

Redd

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:49 am

I got $1000usd on Trump, If I win you're all invited and I'll use the money to rent a vintage tram in WAW, a bartender, and we can all get smashed and celebrate/grieve together.... lol. I'm dead serious here, this would make for a fun A.net meeting. :D

This is the party tram;)

Mortyman

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am

Trump will soon find himself in an Orange jumpsuit ....

N14AZ

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 am

astuteman wrote:
We see the so-called "law and order" President openly supporting illegal violence, going so far as to criticise the FBI for investigating Trump fans in Texas trying to run a Biden campaign bus off the road

I am shocked as well. I wonder if his support of illegal violence would justify a second impeachment process. The evidence is even clearer than the one of the first impeachment, IMHO.

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:52 am

tommy1808 wrote:

because there have not been attacks and plans up to and including blowing up cops already?

best regards
Thomas

Not quite the end of the world . . .

:roll: :roll: :roll:

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Not quite the end of the world . . .

:roll: :roll: :roll:

and who talked about the world ending?.

best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:08 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

When people are given a pass for looting, burning and destroying businesses while at the same time attacking people with opposing views and then being praised by the media as peaceful protesters well there is no other way to go but down.

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:11 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

When people are given a pass for looting, burning and destroying businesses while at the same time attacking people with opposing views and then being praised by the media as peaceful protesters well there is no other way to go but down.

please provide sources for your claim that saying that protesters have no other way then to go and burn down stuff, as well as evidence that caught looters are not prosecuted.

best regards
Thomas

NIKV69

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

please provide sources for your claim that saying that protesters have no other way then to go and burn down stuff, as well as evidence that caught looters are not prosecuted.

best regards
Thomas

Please use the quote function because nowhere in my post did I say any of these things. :sarcastic: I will be more than happy to discuss each point as long as you quote it.

Braybuddy

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:15 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
and who talked about the world ending?.

best regards
Thomas

tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

astuteman

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:32 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

When people are given a pass for looting, burning and destroying businesses while pretending to act as part of an otherwise peaceful demonstration, in order to incite the very response that you display, at the same time attacking people with opposing views and then being praised by the government which has the nerve to label itself the party of law and order then you are already down.
And if you want links and evidence, they're in the post above.

But you won't want to see it. Those that refuse to leave the echo chamber won't acknowledge it.

It's clear as daylight to everyone else, right around the world. :yes:

Aesma

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Redd wrote:
I got $1000usd on Trump, If I win you're all invited and I'll use the money to rent a vintage tram in WAW, a bartender, and we can all get smashed and celebrate/grieve together.... lol. I'm dead serious here, this would make for a fun A.net meeting. :D

This is the party tram;)

If you're a Trump supporter, you should have bet on Biden. That way whatever happens you win something.

Aesma

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

When people murder and are called "fine people"...

casinterest

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Nov 4, we will probably still be watching Pennsylvania, and Georgia counting ballots. The USPS will be under fire for having lost and found ballots. Trump will still have to face the rising Covid numbers, and most citizens will go about their days as they always have.

I think civility will win, and most will go to sleep on Nov 3 not knowing what happened. However, my deep suspicion is that Biden blows this election out of the water, and NC and Florida go to him while they are still waiting to count up PA and Georgia.

M564038

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:43 pm

538 went from «favored» to «clearly favored» to win the election for Biden today after taking all the last polls into account.
They give Trump a 9/100 chance.
In 2016 they gave him around 25/100 at this stage if I remember correctly.

They are not sure it will be all clear on election day.

Fingers crossed. 4 more years with Trump would be such a disaster for the poor americans seeing themselves reduced to a 3rd world country.

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:49 pm

M564038 wrote:
In 2016 they gave him around 25/100 at this stage if I remember correctly..

28.6 % :)

Even less than 10% is still a chance though...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/im ... still-win/

And no one can quantify the effects of Covid and terrorism on turnout.

best regards
Thomas

DL717

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Trump will halt the election and finally bring out the brown shirts and seize control of the Republic forever!!!!

Well, that’s what some people think will happen. But they’re kind of stupid.

Sticking to my guns. 40% chance to both and 20% to a tie and mayhem.

Arion640

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Brit here. Is it true whatever way ohio goes the country goes?

N867DA

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Attempts at voter suppression are clearly happening. Look at how hard Republicans are trying to throw out ballots across the country, even if the state court in the oh-so-liberal state of Texas finds no harm. Win or lose, Trump is fanning doubts on election integrity as insurance. He is almost certainly likely to lose the popular vote; he can rest assured despite eking out an electoral college victory (the one that counts) most of the country detests him--though one or two policies may have merit.

I'll have coffee, VPN in to work by 7:30am-8am, and hopefully my meetings go well. If I'm lucky/lazy I'll get a burrito or something for lunch.

M564038

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Indeed, several of these battleground states are within polling error, and I have personally applied for jobs with way less than a 1/10 chance of getting them!

However, and even regardless of all the GOP cheating going on, there is a record turnout, and that is not because people that didn’t vote the last time suddenly have found out that they desperately want Trump for 4 more years. It is also not because large groups of the population magically transformed into middle-aged, uneducated and stupid white males.

tommy1808 wrote:
M564038 wrote:
In 2016 they gave him around 25/100 at this stage if I remember correctly..

28.6 % :)

Even less than 10% is still a chance though...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/im ... still-win/

And no one can quantify the effects of Covid and terrorism on turnout.

best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:32 pm

N867DA wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Attempts at voter suppression are clearly happening. .

Russian interference did and is happening just as clearly, just as the Trump team clearly conspired with the Russians in 2016. Otherwise the GOP/right wing media would have been quoting from the Mueller report instead lying about it.

best regards
Thomas

art

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:09 pm

seahawk wrote:

I suspect that you are right. While the man seems to be limited in terms of vocabulary (having that of a 12/13/14? year old) it does not follow that one should doubt his numeracy. I am confident that he can appreciate that a value of <270 electoral college votes is in non-fake fact >270 electoral college votes, should such an appreciation suit his purposes.

As a paid-up member of the Pathological Liar Club, he would be letting the side down if he did otherwise, wouldn't he?

Tugger

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Things will be fine. A winner will be certified, outside of any political element or person trying to declare anything. A bunch of people will be butt-hurt and make a lot of noise and think it is unfair or make wild claims of the election being stolen. The loser will accept the results and step back and the nation will begin the process for whatever the result is.

But the majority of people will be done with it and the nation will power on and politicking will continue. News will report and investigate on the situation and some media will screech and cry and complain, as will certain loud voices as they work to satisfy their audience.

And the COVID situation will continue to evolve toward whatever solution is developed.

And the world will move on. And things will be OK.

Tugg

ltbewr

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Trump has already moved (due to DC's local Covid-19 group restrictions) to his 'victory party' from his DC hotel to the White House, with 400 persons expected to attend and become a 'superspreader' Covid-19 event,. Trump jumping early, speaking to the world from there to claim he won with only the expected early vote numbers in his favor to try to set up claims of voting and ballot counting fraud of Democrats. I expect Biden to speak to call for a full count of the votes, say he will win if done and for Democrats to fight any challenges by Trump and Republicans to stop any vote counting or other disruptions.

I expect on Wednesday, Nov. 4th of Trump and Republicans going into State and Federal District courts in all contested states with narrow margins as to who won to demand an end of any vote counts, especially of any mail ballots received by mail after Nov. 3, even if USPS postmarked by Nov. 3.. Of course they will exempt absentee military mail ballots as don't want to be seen as anti-military. He is likely to call out his supporters to openly protest to intimidate sites where any continued counts of ballots in contested states like PA, MI, WI, FL and others with possibly close results and especially if Trump is in the lead in early counts in them. I expect in the following days of Trump going out to more of his rallies to call for support of his battles to force the election results, including to the point of violence in his favor. The news and political commentary will be in overtime and overdrive covering the results and aftermath. It could be very ugly. The best hope is that the margins of victory in the contested states by Tuesday night are beyond mandatory recount margins and above poling margins in the most contested states.

NIKV69

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:11 pm

N867DA wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Attempts at voter suppression are clearly happening. Look at how hard Republicans are trying to throw out ballots across the country, even if the state court in the oh-so-liberal state of Texas finds no harm. Win or lose, Trump is fanning doubts on election integrity as insurance. He is almost certainly likely to lose the popular vote; he can rest assured despite eking out an electoral college victory (the one that counts) most of the country detests him--though one or two policies may have merit.

I'll have coffee, VPN in to work by 7:30am-8am, and hopefully my meetings go well. If I'm lucky/lazy I'll get a burrito or something for lunch.

Well at least we can agree on the Burrito.

N867DA

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
N867DA wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Well at least we can agree on the Burrito.

...and that's what makes our country great!

I'll double down on my prediction Trump will win. Early voting results by party affiliation look dicey in Florida; a lot of unaffiliated need to break for Biden and I don't see that happening in large enough numbers. I'll be extraordinarily happy to be wrong, but just looking at the numbers, meh.

PixelPilot

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:39 pm

I'll get up, go to work and so will all the people I know.
No matter the outcome nobody will protest or hate each other even though voting preferences are spread out over here.
On the weekend I'll go to the park and enjoy my day at the water unless it rains again. Oh and chicken. I'll have some chicken :)

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm

[*]I’d this year proves anything, it’s that politics should NOT be anywhere near as a big an influence in daily life. Politicians add zero value, they make lawyers look good. Reduce drastically their power and money, life would be much better. Politics can’t solve our problems, only our daily decisions can effect our lives.

A thoughtful Colorado liberatarian

https://spectator.org/whats-unacceptable-in-2020/

L410Turbolet

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:04 pm

15 out of 20 top threads on a.net will no longer be about Trump and US relations. I hope...

Aaron747

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
[*]I’d this year proves anything, it’s that politics should NOT be anywhere near as a big an influence in daily life. Politicians add zero value, they make lawyers look good. Reduce drastically their power and money, life would be much better. Politics can’t solve our problems, only our daily decisions can effect our lives.

A thoughtful Colorado liberatarian

https://spectator.org/whats-unacceptable-in-2020/

In daily life, to a large extent, no. You're right. But politics DOES affect people's lives when policy changes are made in harmful fashion. Like the fact my buddy has been separated from his Australian wife for 10 months now because her visa keeps getting delayed on technicalities. The marching orders from this WH to embassies are to basically look for ANY reason to deny/delay. He is getting more PO'd every time he texts about it because there is no rhyme or reason to what they are experiencing other than keeping the door shut.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Do you have a link to that delay message from the WH?

casinterest

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:49 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
15 out of 20 top threads on a.net will no longer be about Trump and US relations. I hope...

Nov 4 is much to soon for that. If he wins, it will be 4 more years. If he loses, then he will be fighting to the end about voter fraud and lawyers and how Fox News claimed he was closer than any other market.

Redd

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Aesma wrote:
Redd wrote:

This is the party tram;)

If you're a Trump supporter, you should have bet on Biden. That way whatever happens you win something.

Not a Trump supporter, just good betting odds.