Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B717fan
Topic Author

Terror attack in Vienna

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:57 pm

Shooting reported at a synagogue, reports of multiple incidents and several dead. Ongoing situation. Hope everyone stays safe.
https://news.sky.com/story/one-dead-in- ... a-12122166

c933103

Re: Terror attack in Vienna

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 pm

https://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53657136 Report of explosive and gunshot in area around a synagogue
https://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53657263 Report of some being held hostage at a restaurant
https://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53657307 Report of shooting at Hilton hotel
https://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53657449 Austrian government minister call the situation ongoing
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

B717fan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:28 pm

Still ongoing. Vienna police confirm six sites attacked.

acavpics

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Why another series of Muslim terror attacks in Europe just liek we saw in 2015-2017?
I'm NOT trying to sound anti-muslim, but what causes this rage against the west among radical Muslims?
In other words, where did they get the idea of "let's kill innocent civilians to spread our ideology around"? What did the West do to Muslims to cause such anger?

I've been STRUGGLING to understand this since 9/11.

fr8mech

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 pm

acavpics wrote:
What did the West do to Muslims to cause such anger?

You’re asking the wrong question. Your question is laying blame on the victims. You’re question is analogous to asking what a woman was doing wrong that got her raped.

The question that needs to be asked is:

What is wrong with radical Islam and its adherents that compels them to attack innocent people?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

acavpics

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:36 pm

fr8mech wrote:
acavpics wrote:

You’re asking the wrong question. Your question is laying blame on the victims. You’re question is analogous to asking what a woman was doing wrong that got her raped.

What is wrong with radical Islam and its adherents that compels them to attack innocent people?

Islam has been around since the 7th century.
Radical Islamic terror only evolved in the 1900s as Western imperialism spread across the world.

You really think that they said “let’s kill Westerners just for the heck of it”? ... Don’t think so.

I get that they resented Western dominance around the world. But I’m eager to know what specific events made the people in the Muslim world have such rage to the West.

LabQuest

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 pm

acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Radical Islamic terror only evolved in the 1900s as Western imperialism spread across the world.

You really think that they said “let’s kill Westerners just for the heck of it”? ... Don’t think so.

I get that they resented Western dominance around the world. But I’m eager to know what specific events made the people in the Muslim world have such rage to the West.

They kill westerners because they go against their little book of virtues or whatever. They're jealous and angry at the nice lives westerns live.

M564038

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:58 pm

We don’t know if it was Islamists yet, do we?
I am not saying it is not, but remember Vienna is a strong symbol both of the far right and Islamists. 1683 and all of that..
The rest of us, across the political spectrum is just angered and sad over uneccesary killing and pain, as always.
Last edited by M564038 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

AirWorthy99

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:59 pm

acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
acavpics wrote:

1900’s really? Did you know the Prophet was a warlord?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar ... f_Muhammad
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

acavpics

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:30 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Oh I see. Mohammed is a "terrorist" and a "warlord" etc. Yet, the European imperialists who conquered lands and massacred indigenous folks all around the world get a free pass eh?

Right Wing Hypocrisy at its finest.

c933103

Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:17 am

acavpics wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Oh I see. Mohammed is a "terrorist" and a "warlord" etc. Yet, the European imperialists who conquered lands and massacred indigenous folks all around the world get a free pass eh?

Right Wing Hypocrisy at its finest.

Christian, Islam, Israel's religion, and so on are just as worse.
The reason why most modern countries are better because they're usually successful at keeping religious affair in places like church. (Of course there are still failure abd that usually result in bad outcome)
But the Islam world in general haven't been able to achieve this level yet.
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:44 am

LabQuest wrote:
acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

They kill westerners because they go against their little book of virtues or whatever. They're jealous and angry at the nice lives westerns live.

Is Islam compatible to a westerised lifestyle?

marcelh

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:46 am

fr8mech wrote:
acavpics wrote:

marcelh

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:53 am

Kiwirob wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Define “westerised lifestyle”. If you mean equal rights for man and woman, no faith is compatible.

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:55 am

marcelh wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Define “westerised lifestyle”. If you mean equal rights for man and woman, no faith is compatible.

I'm happy to see all religions banned, especially the Abrahamic ones, they are the most intrusive and have been at the root of many of the worlds problems.

bennett123

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:05 am

If you banned religion would you have no rules.

If you did have rules, what would they be based on?.

c933103

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:14 am

bennett123 wrote:

What
We have laws
We have morals
Neither of them are dependent on religion

bennett123

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:32 am

Laws and morals based on what?.

M564038

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:09 am

We don’t quite know, do we?
But we do know we have them, don’t we.
In fact, atheists are underrepresented in violent crime and crime in general, that should tell you something about moral and ethics not being a religious trademark.

bennett123 wrote:
Laws and morals based on what?.

Redd

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:26 am

acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
acavpics wrote:

I think you're forgetting the Muslim occupation of many parts of Europe for hundreds of years, and the many subsequent attempts and attacks tu subjugate the people of Europe. 1354 to 1858 the buggers kept trying and trying.

M564038

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 am

And you forget that this contributed to many facets of what we call european culture. In much of that time one could actually see islamic culture as being more modern than the european, and this gave very important impulses towards the enlightenment.
But yes, there was hundreds of years of struggles, and the city of Vienna is one of the most important symbols both for islamists and crazy-christians.
Norwegian Right wing terrorist child-killer ABB spent a lot of space in his rambling manifesto on Vienna as a symbol for european resistance against the muslim hordes. Seems like some crazies on the other side tried to take him and people like him up on the offer.
Us in the middle need to keep our heads straight and not let things like this lead us to do something stupid.

Just as republicans in the US are getting more weaponized, desperate, cheating and authoritarian as the mainstream through demographics and trends turn away and marginalize them, so do islamists get more desperate as younger people in the middle east are turning away from religion and towards reform and non-religious government in droves.
Attendance in mosques all across the middle east is dropping like a stone. This gives hope for the future.

Redd wrote:
acavpics wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I think you're forgetting the Muslim occupation of many parts of Europe for hundreds of years, and the many subsequent attempts and attacks tu subjugate the people of Europe. 1354 to 1858 the buggers kept trying and trying.

c933103

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:32 am

M564038 wrote:
And you forget that this contributed to many facets of what we call european culture. In much of that time one could actually see islamic culture as being more modern than the european, and this gave very important impulses towards the enlightenment.
But yes, there was hundreds of years of struggles, and the city of Vienna is one of the most important symbols both for islamists and crazy-christians.
Norwegian Right wing terrorist child-killer ABB spent a lot of space in his rambling manifesto on Vienna as a symbol for european resistance against the muslim hordes. Seems like some crazies on the other side tried to take him and people like him up on the offer.
Us in the middle need to keep our heads straight and not let things like this lead us to do something stupid.

Just as republicans in the US are getting more weaponized, desperate, cheating and authoritarian as the mainstream through demographics and trends turn away and marginalize them, so do islamists get more desperate as younger people in the middle east are turning away from religion and towards reform and non-religious government in droves.
Attendance in mosques all across the middle east is dropping like a stone. This gives hope for the future.

What you said didn't answer the question "what specific events made the people in the Muslim world have such rage to the West."

And, Islamist or Republican, I don't think you can call them non maonstream when both of them are still rather abundant in their area. I think it is wishful thinking.

As for the history of Islamic culture in Europe, what you said is true from European perspective, but not explaining the situation from Islam perspective.

petertenthije

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:20 pm

bennett123 wrote:

How about the gold rule: "Treat others like you would like others to treat you". That should cover pretty much any situation, unless you are a psychopath. But psychopaths are likely going to be breaking the rules regardless of what the rules are based on.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:07 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Religion is a social construct, we made it up. If we didn't have religion we would still have made up laws to guide us.

bennett123

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.#

It also pre supposes that this alternative, whatever it is, would be better.

OA412

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Thread has veered completely off topic and hasn't discussed the actual attacks in Vienna since the OP. Locked.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West