Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:25 pm

When it's all said and done, there won't be 80k of those ballots to make any impact.
 
Jetty
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:26 pm

astuteman wrote:
Jetty wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Hillary Clinton called and conceded and accepted the results even though she lost by less than 80K votes across three states.

Trump launching lawsuits is what he promised before the election. He is anti American in all of his actions.

Trump will likely lose by much less than 80K votes (20K WI + maybe a few thousand in GA and AZ).

Also a concession and acceptance by a Democrat hasn’t proven worth much as they retract it just as easily to take it to the courts as proven in 2000.


It's not unrealistic to expect Trump to lose by 80k or more in PA alone, the way it is going..

Again, I just mentioned the amount needed to win 270. PA isn't relevant because other states are much closer.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:27 pm

Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
Trump will likely lose by much less than 80K votes (20K WI + maybe a few thousand in GA and AZ).

Also a concession and acceptance by a Democrat hasn’t proven worth much as they retract it just as easily to take it to the courts as proven in 2000.

He lost Michigan alone at a larger margin than he won PA + WI + MI in 2016. Math. It’s helpful.

I didn’t include PA and MI in my math because he didn’t need to win them if he won GA, WI and AZ. Logic. It’s helpful.

The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.
Last edited by luckyone on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 11479
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:27 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/live-blog/2020-11-06-trump-biden-election-results-n1246707/ncrd1246820?icid

A state appeals court in Pennsylvania has ordered the secretary of state to notify all local election officials that they must set aside provisional ballots that were cast by voters as a way to fix problems with their mail-in ballots.

The court will later decide whether those votes can be counted. The issue is the practice of letting mail-in voters fix problems on their ballots or instead cast provisional ballots to solve the problems.

Republicans say state law doesn't allow that. Democrats say while state law doesn't explicitly provide for the practice, it doesn't prohibit it, either


What to make of this?

Well for one, provisional ballots aren't part of the current vote count: https://www.ydr.com/story/news/politics ... 181261002/

So their exclusion does not affect the numbers we are seeing currently.

Number two, any issues will tend to be spread across the entire voting spectrum, areas, party preferences etc. So they will impact numbers on all sides of the count.

Tugg
 
Jetty
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:35 pm

luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
He lost Michigan alone at a larger margin than he won PA + WI + MI in 2016. Math. It’s helpful.

I didn’t include PA and MI in my math because he didn’t need to win them if he won GA, WI and AZ. Logic. It’s helpful.

The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.

If you don't believe me: here is the map with the likely result and only changing GA, WI and AZ. https://www.270towin.com/maps/z4e08 The votes needed to flip the result is much smaller than 4 years ago: If 10 or 20 thousand people changed their votes Trump would have won.
Last edited by Jetty on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
N867DA
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/live-blog/2020-11-06-trump-biden-election-results-n1246707/ncrd1246820?icid

A state appeals court in Pennsylvania has ordered the secretary of state to notify all local election officials that they must set aside provisional ballots that were cast by voters as a way to fix problems with their mail-in ballots.

The court will later decide whether those votes can be counted. The issue is the practice of letting mail-in voters fix problems on their ballots or instead cast provisional ballots to solve the problems.

Republicans say state law doesn't allow that. Democrats say while state law doesn't explicitly provide for the practice, it doesn't prohibit it, either


What to make of this?


Typical GOP disenfranchising voters. I'm surprised Pennsylvania does not have a process to cure questionable mail-in ballots. But if the cured ballots meets ID requirements and is not a duplicate it should be counted. I wonder if there are enough such ballots to change the outcome. Biden looks to be up by 15,000+ votes.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I didn’t include PA and MI in my math because he didn’t need to win them if he won GA, WI and AZ. Logic. It’s helpful.

The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.

If you don't believe me: here is the map with the likely result and just flipping GA, WI and AZ. The votes needed to flip the result is much smaller than 4 years ago: If 10 or 20 thousand people changed their votes Trump would have won. https://www.270towin.com/maps/z4e08

Wisconsin has been called. GA and AZ are still counting. Sure Georgia could change when the vote is tallied, but if the vote was good, then the vote was good, and recount will say it is good.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I didn’t include PA and MI in my math because he didn’t need to win them if he won GA, WI and AZ. Logic. It’s helpful.

The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.

If you don't believe me: here is the map with the likely result and just flipping GA, WI and AZ. The votes needed to flip the result is much smaller than 4 years ago: If 10 or 20 thousand people changed their votes Trump would have won. https://www.270towin.com/maps/z4e08

Which is a scenario, not the only scenario. Again, your logic is not backing up the reality of 2016 vs. 2020. Had Trump not won those three state in 2016, he would not be President. Period. He can win or lose AZ and GA, and the end result may be no different. If he wins them, he will still potentially lose the Presidency due to votes in Michigan, by a greater margin alone than he won the first time around. It is the numbers that dictate the actual result, not the theoretical.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14426
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:41 pm

acavpics wrote:
[
ALL four members of the squad won re-election this time. The House Democrats that lost were center-left.
I'd say, the power of progressives has increased.


Max rose was hardly center left. He aligned himself with the fringe impeachment group and only lost because his district pushed back if he was a moderate he would have won.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:41 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Not sure if you visit social media but the support that they get there is beyond insane.


Don't know which social media you are watching, but what I see is complete and near total condemnation of AOC, the Squad, Pelosi, and Biden.

Of course, no one sees the entire spectrum of social media. The platforms are tailored to show us what people we like say.

Most of my social media contacts are family, friends from my youth, ex-military careerists, and short track auto racers. A very conservative leaning group, and a lot of Trump supporters. Mostly we agree to disagree on some things.

My ex-military counterparts tend to be the more 'left' of the groups, though like me, their left does not support Medicare for All, Defund the Police, etc.

We have real issues in this country, and BOTH political parties are more concerned with making sure the other guy does not get help if he/she needs it rather than solving problems.

Despite how this election turns out, and I'm not ready to say Biden won, yet, thought it looks highly likely.

Anyway - more Americans voted this time than every in history, and I believe the final numbers will show the highest ever percentage of eligible people voting.

That alone is a victory for the Democratic Process and the country, no matter who wins.




“We have real issues in this country”

Exactly. No one seems to realize that instead of fixing actual problems, the political establishment continues dividing us on issues that the rest of the civilized world has long moved on from. In a few decades, what will people say? Well, the middle class has been eradicated, our infrastructure is crumbling, our education system is the worst in the world and we’re no longer a superpower, but AT LEAST abortion is illegal and no one gets free stuff! Whew! We really dodged a bullet there.
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 pm

Jim Acosta on CNN reports team Trump is "digging in" and plans on challenging the election results until December when the results are certified.
 
Jetty
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:47 pm

luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.

If you don't believe me: here is the map with the likely result and just flipping GA, WI and AZ. The votes needed to flip the result is much smaller than 4 years ago: If 10 or 20 thousand people changed their votes Trump would have won. https://www.270towin.com/maps/z4e08

Which is a scenario, not the only scenario.

To argue that Trump needs only a few thousand votes changed to be the winner I don't need more than one scenario.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Biden is currently 13662 votes ahead of Trump in PA.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... tion_usmap
 
acavpics
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:54 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
New data from Arizona. Difference now +43k Biden.
Donald Trump needs ~59% of outstanding votes to retake Arizona, but he is under-performing at ~53%.
Arizona is likely out of reach for Trump now.


I really hope you are right.
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Trump now under investigation for apparent brazen violations of the Hatch Act:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has opened an investigation into allegations that the Trump campaign’s use of the White House as an Election Day command center violated federal law, Democratic Representative Bill Pascrell said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-ele ... NKBN27M0EF
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:58 pm

If Biden wins and Trump becomes difficult, how would the secret service deal with this? Technically, Trump will no longer be the President, so wouldn’t this constitute a serious threat to the safety of President elect Biden? It’s very easy to imagine Trump behaving so inappropriately that he becomes the first President forcefully removed from the White House.
 
NYCVIE
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:00 pm

Jetty wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I didn’t include PA and MI in my math because he didn’t need to win them if he won GA, WI and AZ. Logic. It’s helpful.

The problem with your logic is those are the three states that delivered the Presidency for him, and there were no other roads. With this election, that does not appear to be the case, as you yourself detail.

If you don't believe me: here is the map with the likely result and only changing GA, WI and AZ. https://www.270towin.com/maps/z4e08 The votes needed to flip the result is much smaller than 4 years ago: If 10 or 20 thousand people changed their votes Trump would have won.


But in that scenario it's a tie. Trump needed/needs Pennsylvania (or in your scenario either Michigan or Pennsylvania) for an outright win and obviously the margins aren't actually very close there.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3611
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:01 pm

luckyone wrote:
I'm on the record as saying I think he still may win Georgia...

but...if he loses

Glory Glory to ole Georgia!
Glory Glory to ole Georgia!
Glory Glory to ole Georgia
And to hell with Donald Trump!

Except not really. What we've seen in the last two election cycles is a deeply unpopular candidate getting a lot of opposition voting, and rhetoric from the right at the moment is very worrisome. We have to make an effort to meet back in the middle.


Nah...if Trump loses in GA, he'll just keep yelling "To hell with Georgia!", rinse and repeat.

(I'm a GA Tech alumni BTW...)
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:02 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
Trump now under investigation for apparent brazen violations of the Hatch Act:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has opened an investigation into allegations that the Trump campaign’s use of the White House as an Election Day command center violated federal law, Democratic Representative Bill Pascrell said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-ele ... NKBN27M0EF



I don’t think the full extent of Trump’s corruption and depravity will be known for years. He’ll spend the rest of his life running from justice.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:03 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
luckyone wrote:
I'm on the record as saying I think he still may win Georgia...

but...if he loses

Glory Glory to ole Georgia!
Glory Glory to ole Georgia!
Glory Glory to ole Georgia
And to hell with Donald Trump!

Except not really. What we've seen in the last two election cycles is a deeply unpopular candidate getting a lot of opposition voting, and rhetoric from the right at the moment is very worrisome. We have to make an effort to meet back in the middle.


Nah...if Trump loses in GA, he'll just keep yelling "To hell with Georgia!", rinse and repeat.

(I'm a GA Tech alumni BTW...)

You're probably right. Actually my family is a Tech family...though for some reason my brother is a hardcore Dawgs fan.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:06 pm

More GOP falling out for Trump. Not that Trump will care (as he only cares about himself).

GOP leaders are nervously watching President Trump’s erratic handling of an election that's slipping away from him,
delicately urging him and his team to clearly make a specific case about voting impropriety or accept the will of the American public.

As they watch Trump make one unfounded claim after another, Republicans are worried about the lasting ramifications from the President’s
meritless barrage of attacks against a cornerstone of US democracy — especially as they gear up for two months of intense battling over two
hugely consequential races in Georgia that will determine the next Senate majority.


https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-n ... eeb6d6dae9
Last edited by Thunderboltdrgn on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:06 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
Trump now under investigation for apparent brazen violations of the Hatch Act:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has opened an investigation into allegations that the Trump campaign’s use of the White House as an Election Day command center violated federal law, Democratic Representative Bill Pascrell said on Thursday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-ele ... NKBN27M0EF



I don’t think the full extent of Trump’s corruption and depravity will be known for years. He’ll spend the rest of his life running from justice.


Countries with no extradition treaty with the United States. Bolded CAPS mine for places Trump has business interests that I'm aware of.

Afghanistan
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Belarus
Benin
Botswana
Brunei
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad
CHINA
Comoros
Congo
Djibouti
East Timor
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Georgia
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Indonesia
Ivory Coast
Kazakhstan
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Lebanon
Libya
Madagascar
Maldives
Mali
Mauritania
Moldova
Mongolia
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
Niger
Oman
Qatar
RUSSIA
Rwanda
Samoa
São Tomé & Príncipe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Togo
Tunisia
Turkmenistan
Uganda
Ukraine
UNIED ARAB EMIRATES
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Vatican City
Vietnam
Yemen
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 6005
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Will Trump try to pardon himself before he leaves office ? I know US president has the possibility to pardon other people, but can he actually pardon himself ?
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2911
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:19 pm

casinterest wrote:
The one item that should scare the GOP is that they are possibly going to lose Georgia, and the Count in NC was very tight.
On top of that the DEMS did much better in Texas than in 2016. Trump beat clinton by +9%. He is only beating Biden by +6%

2024 will require a rethink in strategy.



It is worth noting that 45 only did that well in TX due to a non-trivial amount of voter suppression, particularly affecting the line of Blue counties along the south eastern border. Without that, more like +1-3%.
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:22 pm

He's a one termer because he didn't get re-elected. I like Presidents who get re-elected.
Last edited by ArcticSEA on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 
winginit
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:26 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
He's a one termer because he didn't get re-elected. I like Presidents who get re-elected.


"I don't like losers."

- Donald Trump, October 12, 2016
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 pm

“you need to travel more.”

Many of them don’t travel and have no desire to go anywhere other than, say, Las Vegas. As a Kansan who’s greatest passion is travel, I’ve never understood why such a lack of curiosity about the greater world is so prevalent here. I can only describe it as that. A complete lack of curiosity about the world, with little to no desire to learn. They’re very comfortable in their bubble of American exceptionalism. A complete failure to grasp an increasingly complex and diverse world. We’re just a brief spark of consciousness, so it seems wasteful and almost disrespectful in a way.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Will Trump try to pardon himself before he leaves office ? I know US president has the possibility to pardon other people, but can he actually pardon himself ?


It has mentioned earlier in the thread that he cannot do that, but a more thorough explanation:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/here-is ... mself.html
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:31 pm

MAGAt rallies to continue, possibly as early as this weekend:
President Trump’s advisers reportedly are discussing a weekend rally as official vote counts indicate he’s losing the presidential election to Democrat Joe Biden.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/trump-aid ... ws-report/
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:33 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
MAGAt rallies to continue, possibly as early as this weekend:
President Trump’s advisers reportedly are discussing a weekend rally as official vote counts indicate he’s losing the presidential election to Democrat Joe Biden.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/trump-aid ... ws-report/

Sweet. More COVID super spreader events linked with Trump.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:34 pm

winginit wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
He's a one termer because he didn't get re-elected. I like Presidents who get re-elected.


"I don't like losers."

- Donald Trump, October 12, 2016


26 accusations of sexual misconduct
Estimated four thousand lawsuits
Impeached
Draft dodger
Countless bankruptcies......

He’s been a loser for decades.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:37 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
acavpics wrote:
It is sad to see Biden's Arizona lead diminishing after AP and Fox previously called it. I find it hard to believe that Biden is only up by about 1.5% but the democratic senate candidate Mark Kelly won it comfortably by 3 pts. That too, his opponent, Martha McSally was a vocal supporter of Trump
Did a lot of people split their ticket "Trump/Kelly"?

By and large, the American people have rejected Trumpism -and- the AOCs of the world in one election.
We have sent Trump home packing, and have AOCs and "the squad" on notice.
America is a center-right nation. This reinforces it.


Evidence that AOC type initiatives were rejected in this election? I dont recall any progressive on the top line ticket. I do recall several states, including republican ones, passing progressive measures though.

They also passed some major non-progressive ones, too...rejecting rent control, rejecting affirmative action, embracing gig economy workers, etc.

zakuivcustom wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
They grew stronger by losing seats in the House? Interesting take.
Democrats were wiped-out at state houses too..
In deep blue Rhode Island and Vermont, Democratic house speakers lost their re-election bids to Republicans.
But yeah, otherwise, that was a great response!


Yep, the "classic" democrats lost seats while the squad got re-elected.
You have to look past the obvious and see what's trending.
Pelosi and Schumer are losing ground within their party.
The question is who will take over.


And without the "classic" democrats, what can the like of "The Squad" do anyway? Absolutely nothing! Oh, and how many new progressives are elected this time around even in heavy blue district? Zero?

The Squad ultimately is just 4 out of 435 House members. To think they have that much power is a joke.

Functionally speaking, you're correct. But as I mentioned previously, they're very effective at dominating air time and shaping the narrative around Dem policy.

PixelPilot wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Yep, the "classic" democrats lost seats while the squad got re-elected.
You have to look past the obvious and see what's trending.
Pelosi and Schumer are losing ground within their party.
The question is who will take over.


And without the "classic" democrats, what can the like of "The Squad" do anyway? Absolutely nothing! Oh, and how many new progressives are elected this time around even in heavy blue district? Zero?

The Squad ultimately is just 4 out of 435 House members. To think they have that much power is a joke.


Not today but what about Tomorrow?
Not sure if you visit social media but the support that they get there is beyond insane.

Because if anything this election (or 2016 for that matter) demonstrates how accurate a pulse Twitter is for the electorate :roll:

Also important to note that down ballot "Squad-like" candidates were trounced.

Mortyman wrote:
Will Trump try to pardon himself before he leaves office ? I know US president has the possibility to pardon other people, but can he actually pardon himself ?

I have heard one possibility is that he will resign prior to Jan. 20 so that Pence become President and can grant him a pardon.

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The one item that should scare the GOP is that they are possibly going to lose Georgia, and the Count in NC was very tight.
On top of that the DEMS did much better in Texas than in 2016. Trump beat clinton by +9%. He is only beating Biden by +6%

2024 will require a rethink in strategy.



It is worth noting that 45 only did that well in TX due to a non-trivial amount of voter suppression, particularly affecting the line of Blue counties along the south eastern border. Without that, more like +1-3%.

Oh stop making crap up. We have enough of that from Trump right now. Yes, Trump's lead in TX in narrower this year than before, but on much higher turn-out, and notably the Dems underperformed significantly in areas where Hillary won in 2016...particularly among minorities who broke for Trump in higher numbers. There's enough soul-searching to be going around after this.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13925
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:45 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The one item that should scare the GOP is that they are possibly going to lose Georgia, and the Count in NC was very tight.
On top of that the DEMS did much better in Texas than in 2016. Trump beat clinton by +9%. He is only beating Biden by +6%

2024 will require a rethink in strategy.



It is worth noting that 45 only did that well in TX due to a non-trivial amount of voter suppression, particularly affecting the line of Blue counties along the south eastern border. Without that, more like +1-3%.

Oh stop making crap up. We have enough of that from Trump right now. Yes, Trump's lead in TX in narrower this year than before, but on much higher turn-out, and notably the Dems underperformed significantly in areas where Hillary won in 2016...particularly among minorities who broke for Trump in higher numbers. There's enough soul-searching to be going around after this.



We have to wait to see what the Texas final numbers are this time. There still are mail in's to be counted in Texas.
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
winginit wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
He's a one termer because he didn't get re-elected. I like Presidents who get re-elected.


"I don't like losers."

- Donald Trump, October 12, 2016


26 accusations of sexual misconduct
Estimated four thousand lawsuits
Impeached
Draft dodger
Countless bankruptcies......

He’s been a loser for decades.


You lads mind if we keep this topic in the election / political spectrum subject lines?
So many other posts where you can cry your heart out about how he or his opponents are bad and etc.
Last edited by PixelPilot on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:
Jim Acosta on CNN reports team Trump is "digging in" and plans on challenging the election results until December when the results are certified.


Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process.

CitizenJustin wrote:
If Biden wins and Trump becomes difficult, how would the secret service deal with this? Technically, Trump will no longer be the President, so wouldn’t this constitute a serious threat to the safety of President elect Biden? It’s very easy to imagine Trump behaving so inappropriately that he becomes the first President forcefully removed from the White House.


I doubt he will be forcefully removed, but as soon as Biden takes the Oath, he will be informed by the Secret Service that he no longer has access to the White House, if Biden has indicated that he must leave.

Biden might take the high road and hold inaugural balls around DC, and spend the first night in Blair House. The scorn heaped upon Trump would be massive from all parts of the political spectrum.

-------------------------------------------

Re: Trump and criminal charges

I think it sets a bad policy to go after a former president for anything less than a major criminal felon involving injury or death.

Though I'm astounded at people blaming Biden for deaths of Iraqi civilians in 2003.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4183
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:57 pm

After the inauguration will Trump be allowed to the white house or will it be for-biden?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Draft dodger


I'm going to give him a pass on that one.

First people of his 'class' almost never serve in the military. He is certainly not unique, or different from his peers. His father raised him to believe that. Until about age 20-24 most of us make decisions based on what our parents taught us.

In 1967 I knew the US was not going to fight hard enough to win in Vietnam. I was in the 10th grade of high school. I did not want end up in Vietnam. Nor did my father and my uncles who were WWII veterans want me and my cousins to end up there. It wasn't about not being patriotic. I was about a country leadership not willing to back their soldiers in the field.

Most people who paid attention to the news knew of the probability of going to Vietnam, and most of us did what we could to avoid being sent there.

(One cousin got into the USAF Reserve, one into the LA National Guard, one finished college and ended up as a USMC F-4 Phantom B/N in Vietnam. His squadron was one of the first units pulled out of Vietnam in Nixon's first troop withdrawal in 1969.)

When I did decide to join the US Navy, I was more upset that I spent election day 1972 and Christmas in Danang, because the leadership of this nation promised the voters the troops would be home soon, in 1968.

Only years later did I learn of the difficulties of pulling out without leaving the people of South Vietnam defenseless. And in 1975 going back with some of the evacuation flights, saw the hopelessness, and the anger of some of those people that we abandoned them.

Also, nothing personal, but I dislike anyone using the words 'Draft Dodger' unless they actually served in uniform. If you did, thank you for you service. If you did not, pick something else to complain about Trump please. Lord knows there are plenty of other things to choose.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:11 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
After the inauguration will Trump be allowed to the white house or will it be for-biden?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Many times the former President returns to the White House to pick up a few things and say a last good bye to the staff (professional staff, not political). Then off to Andrews for a last flight on Reach 28000 or Reach 29000. Harry and Margaret Truman walked out to the street and hailed a cab to go to the train station.

Other former Presidents have departed directly from the Capitol to Andrews.

Personal choice.

Tradition is a meeting at the White House before the Inauguration, and traveling in the same motorcade to the Capitol. After the Inauguration, the new President is busy for a couple hours.

The White House permanent staff normally does not start moving the outgoing President personal things out of the building until he departs for the Capitol. The moving trucks and such are packed quickly, and the moving trucks parked outside with the new President's things come in and are unloaded and place in the family quarters.

This is usually accomplished within a couple hours.

Several of the incoming President's White House staff enter the West Wing after the departing President leaves, and take over from the few members of the old staff. Mass movement of the new staff occurs after the oath is taken.

Former Presidents are welcome at the White House almost always, though all have the courtesy to not intrude in the new President official activities.

The careful transition is actually more difficult when the outgoing and new President are from the same party. The who stays, who leaves is a much more personal level decision process. A change of party, simple. Everyone goes, all new come in.

President Trump might refuse to participate in the traditional manner, but I don't think Ivanka will permit him to try to stay in the White House like a selfish child.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20111
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Exrampieyyz wrote:
Just looked up quickly but as far as I can see Donny is the only president to lose popular vote twice.

But off to the courts cause thats what he does


It’s been his MO his whole life.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:43 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
Jim Acosta on CNN reports team Trump is "digging in" and plans on challenging the election results until December when the results are certified.


Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process.

CitizenJustin wrote:
If Biden wins and Trump becomes difficult, how would the secret service deal with this? Technically, Trump will no longer be the President, so wouldn’t this constitute a serious threat to the safety of President elect Biden? It’s very easy to imagine Trump behaving so inappropriately that he becomes the first President forcefully removed from the White House.


I doubt he will be forcefully removed, but as soon as Biden takes the Oath, he will be informed by the Secret Service that he no longer has access to the White House, if Biden has indicated that he must leave.

Biden might take the high road and hold inaugural balls around DC, and spend the first night in Blair House. The scorn heaped upon Trump would be massive from all parts of the political spectrum.

-------------------------------------------

Re: Trump and criminal charges

I think it sets a bad policy to go after a former president for anything less than a major criminal felon involving injury or death.

Though I'm astounded at people blaming Biden for deaths of Iraqi civilians in 2003.



“Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process”

Or, he could gracefully accept his loss and allow Americans to move on, dare I say heal, from 4 years of constant scandal and now profound loss due to Covid19. Biden has accumulated over 70 million votes, which is more than any candidate in American history. So far, the only fraud has come from Trump’s side, so I’m not seeing any reason to prolong the process other than his massive and unjustified ego.

The 2000 election came down to just hundreds of votes. Different time, different situation. Also, Gore wasn’t on Twitter spreading vile propaganda, lies and conspiracy theories as we speak. This is not normal behavior and we’re setting dangerous precedents here.

We expect better behavior from children on a daily basis. Hell, a teenager working at McDonald’s would be fired if they behaved half as bad as Trump.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14426
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:48 pm

rfields5421 wrote:

Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process.


Yep but that was heroic because he had a D next to his name.


If Trump loses this in the courts (where it will be decided) he will leave peacefully. I can see him not taking the limo ride with the Bidens and leaving on his own terms but there will be no drama. He will not flee the country he will become more famous and make more money. His wife will probably file for divorce within 30 days of him getting out of office and he will get a hotter 30 year old to be with.

God Bless America.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
he will become more famous and make more money. His wife will probably file for divorce within 30 days of him getting out of office and he will get a hotter 30 year old to be with.

On that, we agree. She will take her revised post-Stormy Daniels pre-nup and find a better class of man. She wouldn't have to look very far for a step up.
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:56 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
If Trump loses this in the courts (where it will be decided) he will leave peacefully.

Thought he was running away with it? Where ya been?
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3611
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:06 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:
Jim Acosta on CNN reports team Trump is "digging in" and plans on challenging the election results until December when the results are certified.


Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process.

CitizenJustin wrote:
If Biden wins and Trump becomes difficult, how would the secret service deal with this? Technically, Trump will no longer be the President, so wouldn’t this constitute a serious threat to the safety of President elect Biden? It’s very easy to imagine Trump behaving so inappropriately that he becomes the first President forcefully removed from the White House.


I doubt he will be forcefully removed, but as soon as Biden takes the Oath, he will be informed by the Secret Service that he no longer has access to the White House, if Biden has indicated that he must leave.

Biden might take the high road and hold inaugural balls around DC, and spend the first night in Blair House. The scorn heaped upon Trump would be massive from all parts of the political spectrum.

-------------------------------------------

Re: Trump and criminal charges

I think it sets a bad policy to go after a former president for anything less than a major criminal felon involving injury or death.

Though I'm astounded at people blaming Biden for deaths of Iraqi civilians in 2003.



“Al Gore did. No big deal. It is his right and part of the process”

Or, he could gracefully accept his loss and allow Americans to move on, dare I say heal, from 4 years of constant scandal and now profound loss due to Covid19. Biden has accumulated over 70 million votes, which is more than any candidate in American history. So far, the only fraud has come from Trump’s side, so I’m not seeing any reason to prolong the process other than his massive and unjustified ego.

The 2000 election came down to just hundreds of votes. Different time, different situation. Also, Gore wasn’t on Twitter spreading vile propaganda, lies and conspiracy theories as we speak. This is not normal behavior and we’re setting dangerous precedents here.

We expect better behavior from children on a daily basis. Hell, a teenager working at McDonald’s would be fired if they behaved half as bad as Trump.


The thing is, if this election was coming down to those 1000s of vote in GA, then yes, you can expect a long wait.

But right now Trump is even complaining about Michigan where he lost by 127k votes, which is a fairly large amount.

flyguy89 wrote:
They also passed some major non-progressive ones, too...rejecting rent control, rejecting affirmative action, embracing gig economy workers, etc.


And just to add on, this is in California, which is anything but red.

flyguy89 wrote:
Oh stop making crap up. We have enough of that from Trump right now. Yes, Trump's lead in TX in narrower this year than before, but on much higher turn-out, and notably the Dems underperformed significantly in areas where Hillary won in 2016...particularly among minorities who broke for Trump in higher numbers. There's enough soul-searching to be going around after this.


In Texas basically the suburbs turned more blue at least for the presidential election anyway (Collin County and Williamson County are the two best examples...there is also Fort Bend County near Houston). However, Biden underperformed in heavy hispanic areas - which was the main reason why he couldn't quite make Texas more competitive anyway.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Meanwhile, with a recent update in the last few minutes, Biden +4,200 in Georgia. I cannot process this. I'm sure quite a few friends and family are fit to be tied right now.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
If Trump loses this in the courts (where it will be decided)

It will not be decided in the courts. It was already decided at the ballot (and mail) box by the American public.
 
User avatar
ArcticSEA
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 pm

Democrats are horrible at sealing elections. They always forget to steal the Senate seats too!
SAD!
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4665
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 pm

So, what are the chances of Trump actually attending Biden's inauguration?

flyguy89 wrote:
I have heard one possibility is that he will resign prior to Jan. 20 so that Pence become President and can grant him a pardon.


Surely that is only possible if he is convicted by that time? If the legal process happens after January 20th then I wouldn't think there was much he could do?


NIKV69 wrote:
He will not flee the country he will become more famous and make more money.


Well he's got to make up a lot to cover certain debts coming due soon.... :lol:

ArcticSEA wrote:
Democrats are horrible at sealing elections. They always forget to steal the Senate seats too!
SAD!


And why do they steal them by such small margins? :scratchchin: Someone should get Rudy to look into that.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4037
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:45 pm

zkojq wrote:
So, what are the chances of Trump actually attending Biden's inauguration?

flyguy89 wrote:
I have heard one possibility is that he will resign prior to Jan. 20 so that Pence become President and can grant him a pardon.


Surely that is only possible if he is convicted by that time? If the legal process happens after January 20th then I wouldn't think there was much he could do?

He can be given "a full and unconditional pardon for any crimes that he might have committed against the United States as president," which is the exact wording in President Ford's pardon of Nixon. I suppose, in theory, that could be extrapolated to anything general that hey may have done. But oofa doofa wouldn't that be a serious gut check for Mike Pence, to be POTUS for a matter of hours just to clear the dishonorable churl on his way out the door. Wouldn't you love to be at the Pearly Gates for that intake questionnaire...
 
wingman
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Official Election thread

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
In Texas basically the suburbs turned more blue at least for the presidential election anyway (Collin County and Williamson County are the two best examples...there is also Fort Bend County near Houston). However, Biden underperformed in heavy hispanic areas - which was the main reason why he couldn't quite make Texas more competitive anyway.


I think what we'll find with the latino vote across the country is how much the "defund the police" message from Trump resonated with them. By and large that was a very effective scare tactic that didn't have a lot of basis in reality. The crazed extreme of the Democratic Party has an outsized voice right now but where the rubber meets the road there's no real "defund the police" movement going on. To wit, in the #1 "most anarchisty" city in American, Portland, the City just squashed a bill to reduce the police budget by $18M (from a total of $200M+).

I will hand it to the GOP, there's no doubt they have perfected the art of instilling fear in their core base and carefully chosen voting blocks.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lentokone, VolvoBus and 45 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos