Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sokes

Re: Official Election thread

Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:51 am

Klaus wrote:
Trump's appeasement of the vilest dictators while punching democratic allies in the face has massively destabilized the world. There was nothing "peaceful" about Trump!

Trade imbalances destabilize the world. See Ottawa agreement.
I admit Trump wasn't successful in addressing this issue.

rfields5421

Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:58 am

Sokes wrote:
But then in 2024 Trump will be too old.

He will be barely a year older than Biden is now (might be a bit under a year, you can do the math.)

Anyone besides me remember that many people thought Ronald Reagan was too old? Taking office a couple weeks before his 70th birthday.

Braybuddy wrote:
Just thinking ahead: given that Donald Trump is such a divisive figure I would assume the Republicans wouldn't want to touch him again. So supposing he decides to run as an independent in 2024, would the Republicans take fright, given that he has such a strong and loyal base, and realise they have no choice but to get him to run for them again, rather than split the right wing vote?

He could do that. Look at what George Wallace did to Hubert Humphrey in 1968 and Ross Perot did to George H. W. Bush.

An independent candidate will almost certainly cause the party closest to him/her on the political spectrum to lose. Almost as important as votes, independent candidates take a lot of money away from the regular party candidate. Many people say Ralph Nader cost Al Gore the 2000 election by taking over 97,000 votes in Florida in a 3rd party effort.

Personally I see the Republican Party in Congress trending toward accepting defeat. I don't see many Republican state governors arguing against the vote vigorously. I could be wrong, the noise level is so high now finding something like that is very hard.

I do see people like Ted Cruz trying to position himself as Trump's successor within the Republican Party (personal opinion)

In 2024, Trump could try to hijack the Republican Party voters again in the Primaries, thus leaving the party leadership no choice but to support him. But a 3rd party, no way it can do anything but hurt the Republicans, probably across the board into down ballot races.

EDIT - and don't worry. We will have plenty to debate/ argue about the next four years, no matter who is US President.

Elkadad313

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:02 am

meecrob wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
Olddog wrote:
The fun part is that Kamala Harris should become the 47th president around 2022...

Joe won't last that long. Mid 2020 at most.

You realize its November 2020 currently, right?

Also, why are people saying Biden will be done by 2022? Is this a "LOL Biden is old" joke?

My bad! We will be saying President Harris by mid 2021. It's not Biden's age -- he is simply declining mentally.

art

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:21 am

Dutchy wrote:
So the experiment comes to an end.

Thank goodness. I do not think Biden is good but I think Trump was bad, bad, bad.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:23 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:
Joe won't last that long. Mid 2020 at most.

You realize its November 2020 currently, right?

Also, why are people saying Biden will be done by 2022? Is this a "LOL Biden is old" joke?

My bad! We will be saying President Harris by mid 2021. It's not Biden's age -- he is simply declining mentally.

A meaner person might inquire if the person who couldn’t even get the year right has any grounds to criticize someone else’s mentation...

M564038

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:24 am

Not Donald Trump Jr.
His profile is getting stronger. Privately, even democrats like him. He is supposedly a very down to earth, likeable and friendly person in private. Lately he had shown a knack for populism and political strategy as well. If his personal charisma is a true story and he combines that with ruthless politics, he has a chance. He is the son of a president, and the first one the GOP will ask, of course. One family at a time...

Sokes wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
Just thinking ahead: given that Donald Trump is such a divisive figure I would assume the Republicans wouldn't want to touch him again. So supposing he decides to run as an independent in 2024, would the Republicans take fright, given that he has such a strong and loyal base, and realise they have no choice but to get him to run for them again, rather than split the right wing vote?

Interesting thought.

LittleFokker

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:28 am

M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.
His profile is getting stronger. Privately, even democrats like him. He is supposedly a very down to earth, likeable and friendly person in private. Lately he had shown a knack for populism and political strategy as well. If his personal charisma is a true story and he combines that with ruthless politics, he has a chance. He is the son of a president, and the first one the GOP will ask, of course. One family at a time...

What? What man are you thinking of, because this doesn't describe the Junior I know. I know of zero Democrats who like DJTJr, and if he is any of those qualities you say, now would be a good time to show them, because he hasn't yet. Plus he has an obvious drug problem, cheated on his wife (not that has stopped Republicans in the past), and hasn't appeared to do anything, much less anything good, while supposedly running his dad's company.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:28 am

Sokes wrote:
So Trump finally lost. That's sad. I was looking forward to four more years of discussions on a.net.
Also:
We Europeans loose the most funny gossip.

Well:
Thank you Trump for all the funny stuff you gave us.
On a more serious note:
Thank you for your peaceful foreign policy.

Not entirely peaceful sir:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/ ... -s-numbers

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/22/ob ... ngs-count/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207

Now I’m not against targeting terrorists, but reduced transparency and accountability only makes the US look worse.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:32 am

M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.

Sokes wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

Interesting thought.

Actually there is some talk in some conservative circles that Fox TV host Tucker Carlson is a likely frontrunner for 2024.

https://thehill.com/homenews/presidenti ... rontrunner

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:35 am

M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.

Sokes wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

Interesting thought.

You mean the guy who rode his daddy’s coattails and has some potential shady dealings while running the Trump Organization, and all this after the GOP tried to complain about the same thing in Hunter Biden? Good joke, bro. I needed the laugh after this week.

Just for comparison, plenty of Republicans privately liked Bill Clinton as a person. Neal Boortz openly said so on the radio all the time. We all know how that played out politically.
Last edited by luckyone on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:38 am

So will Trump be capable of resisting his urge to grab attention back to himself while Biden speaks?

I know: It's mostly a rhetorical question. I fully expect a petulant Trump tweet eruption during Biden's speech.

Francoflier

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Actually there is some talk in some conservative circles that Fox TV host Tucker Carlson is a likely frontrunner for 2024.

The future of the GOP post Trump will be interesting to watch.

The problem with movements based solely on a personality cult is that they usually do not survive the departure of said personality.
The GOP will either have to try and find a 'charismatic' frontman that is equally able to unite the rural America vote as Trump was and go for the same strategy, or gravitate back towards a more mainstream approach to poach more moderate voters while hoping that the MAGA crowd doesn't abandon them for lack of a better option.

I suppose that if they want to stick to the populist, lie-spreading, fear-mongering master plan, Carlson may be a suitable 'Mandarin' for the GOP... In that respect however, Trump is hard to replace.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:52 am

Francoflier wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The problem with movements based solely on a personality cult is that they usually do not survive the departure of said personality.
The GOP will either have to try and find a 'charismatic' frontman that is equally able to unite the rural America vote as Trump was and go for the same strategy, or gravitate back towards a more mainstream approach to poach more moderate voters while hoping that the MAGA crowd doesn't abandon them for lack of a better option.

I suppose that if they want to stick to the populist, lie-spreading, fear-mongering master plan, Carlson may be a suitable 'Mandarin' for the GOP... In that respect however, Trump is hard to replace.

Well, Sarah Palin played that role for a while. I’m not sure where she went this year but I guess Trump was enough hot air on his own. So, look to Palin for the role Trump may play in the coming years. He’ll be a fixture in the echo chamber and he’ll get trotted out to rouse people with fifth grade language, word salads, and sheer emotional bombast. And that endorsement will likely be good enough.

M564038

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:53 am

It isn’t a dream scenario, but tell me that I am wrong.
Let me remind you they chose his father. How could he be worse? It would take some effort to be worse than anyone that has been president for the GOP in the 20th and 21st century with the possible exeption of Eisenhower.

luckyone wrote:
M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.

Sokes wrote:
Interesting thought.

You mean the guy who rode his daddy’s coattails and has some potential shady dealings while running the Trump Organization, and all this after the GOP tried to complain about the same thing in Hunter Biden? Good joke, bro. I needed the laugh after this week.

Just for comparison, plenty of Republicans privately liked Bill Clinton as a person. Neal Boortz openly said so on the radio all the time. We all know how that played out politically.

Elkadad313

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 am

luckyone wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:

A meaner person might inquire if the person who couldn’t even get the year right has any grounds to criticize someone else’s mentation...

Dictionary? I didn't criticize, I stated my view.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:57 am

M564038 wrote:
It isn’t a dream scenario, but tell me that I am wrong.
Let me remind you they chose his father. How could he be worse? It would take some effort to be worse than anyone that has been president for the GOP in the 20th and 21st century with the possible exeption of Eisenhower.

luckyone wrote:
M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.

I think you’re wrong. They chose his father out of the primaries because there were a bunch of candidates who all managed to be duplicates of each other and Trump came through the middle. Going forward, electorally I don’t see a ton of enthusiasm, and they’ll have the liability of a lost re-election attempt that even a novice operative will attempt to hang around the neck of his kids. He’ll live in the echo chamber where he will make a lot of money and be useful to act as a resonator.

Klaus

Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:57 am

Klaus wrote:
So will Trump be capable of resisting his urge to grab attention back to himself while Biden speaks?

I know: It's mostly a rhetorical question. I fully expect a petulant Trump tweet eruption during Biden's speech.

He's managed it! Well done! ;)

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:02 am

I just saw a post on Facebook that I cannot take credit for: Trump should ask himself if he truly wants a discount. Can he stomach losing twice?

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 am

Klaus wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Maybe they finally got the phone out of his hand...

art

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 am

Just listened to the duo talking. IMO VP elect was very articulate while the P elect was less so. What was striking to me was the positivism in both - not a negative notion expressed.

Very relieved that power is changing hands.

astuteman

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:08 am

luckyone wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Either that or they floodlit the golf course :)

Francoflier

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:10 am

luckyone wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Well, Sarah Palin played that role for a while. I’m not sure where she went this year but I guess Trump was enough hot air on his own. So, look to Palin for the role Trump may play in the coming years. He’ll be a fixture in the echo chamber and he’ll get trotted out to rouse people with fifth grade language, word salads, and sheer emotional bombast. And that endorsement will likely be good enough.

I was also thinking that Trump might continue with the rallies to bolster support for the GOP as he loves basking in the adoration of his fans more than anything in the World. Going on rallies seems to be the thing he enjoyed the most during his presidency.

The problem with that theory is that his ego will never accept playing second fiddle to anyone else other than maybe one of his kids.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 am

Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

I was also thinking that Trump might continue with the rallies to bolster support for the GOP as he loves basking in the adoration of his fans more than anything in the World. Going on rallies seems to be the thing he enjoyed the most during his presidency.

The problem with that theory is that his ego will never accept playing second fiddle to anyone else other than maybe one of his kids.

A fair point. Though, I suspect that once out of office Trump will be delighted to have all the perks and adulation (and speaking fees) without the unpleasantness of actually doing the job and everything that comes with it. He also may NEED to cash and his presence on the circuit will keep his name and his brand afloat. But I’m perfectly willing to be wrong about that.

astuteman

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 am

art wrote:
Just listened to the duo talking. IMO VP elect was very articulate while the P elect was less so. What was striking to me was the positivism in both - not a negative notion expressed.

I thought Joe came across as anything but sleepy - lots of energy going on, and whilst perhaps not quite as articulate as KH, it looked and felt pretty heartfelt

Rgds

Kent350787

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:16 am

Congratulatoins to the President and VP elect. I hope that the transition is a safe and peaceful one.

As with the campaign, both speeches today (it's lunchtime in Australia) were positive and focussed on unity. I hope for my US family and the nation in general that it can work to this goal.

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:27 am

afcjets wrote:
I think once it reaches the SCOTUS, Trump will be declared the winner.

LOL what??? You realize that is catching lightning in a bottle not once, not twice, but in like 3 different states? Come on.

NYCVIE

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:41 am

Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

We'll have to see, because the GOP isn't sinking with him on this "fraud" shenanigans so he may be reluctant to go out and boost support for them. I think one of the things Trump hates the most is disloyalty.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:47 am

NYCVIE wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:

We'll have to see, because the GOP isn't sinking with him on this "fraud" shenanigans so he may be reluctant to go out and boost support for them. I think one of the things Trump hates the most is disloyalty.

Possible. But at this point President Trump’s brand is the blowhard right wing walking talking poke in the eye. I don’t know how he rebrands from that. His financial situation may dictate he’s stuck there.

aerosreenivas

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:49 am

It would have been better had Democrats won 'Senate' as well. With Republicans holding this 'Branch Of Government', Biden will not be able to pass crucial bills of 'Urgent Requirement' like Economic Stimulus Bill, Gun Laws, Medical Policies and many others.

Looking at the Obama era where Mitch McConnell was the Senate majority leader and he didn't allow him to pass any bills, I don't think McConnell will do anything different this time also.

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:58 am

aerosreenivas wrote:
It would have been better had Democrats won 'Senate' as well. With Republicans holding this 'Branch Of Government', Biden will not be able to pass crucial bills of 'Urgent Requirement' like Economic Stimulus Bill, Gun Laws, Medical Policies and many others.

Looking at the Obama era where Mitch McConnell was the Senate majority leader and he didn't allow him to pass any bills, I don't think McConnell will do anything different this time also.

I don’t have a problem with a split government, particularly with how strident both parties are right now. McConnel may face pressure though from his moderate flank to pass COVID related packages, including stimulus bills, because lower income conservative voters are getting hit hard. He can’t kick the can for two weeks anymore. Should he not, then it would be easy to paint him as the Grim Reaper. He already has the weird smile.

LittleFokker

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:11 am

luckyone wrote:
aerosreenivas wrote:

I don’t have a problem with a split government, particularly with how strident both parties are right now. McConnel may face pressure though from his moderate flank to pass COVID related packages, including stimulus bills, because lower income conservative voters are getting hit hard. He can’t kick the can for two weeks anymore. Should he not, then it would be easy to paint him as the Grim Reaper. He already has the weird smile.

What moderate flank? Collins? Murkowski? Romney? Other than Mittens voting for impeachment (once it was known the votes would not be there), have any of these three deviated from party lines? McConnell knows that he can do whatever he wants in the Senate and suffer no electoral consequences. He knows he can block all of Biden's cabinet appointments, and no one is going to stop him, not his fellow Republicans, not Democrats, not the media, no one in Kentucky. Our only hope is to have both the GA special elections go the right way to neutralize some of the harm that traitor has done to our country (not just the Senate). Easily the most evil Republican alive today.

cpd

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:16 am

art wrote:

That's what is needed - they've got a massive herculean task ahead of them to repair the damage.

It's great also that so many people went out and voted.

Elkadad313

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 am

What is really scary is that if Trump had handled the Covod-19 crisis a little differently the moron would have won – really scary how close it was.

Aesma

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:39 am

Sokes wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Trump's appeasement of the vilest dictators while punching democratic allies in the face has massively destabilized the world. There was nothing "peaceful" about Trump!

The US trade deficit is caused by the US dollar being the world currency. You want that to continue.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:40 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
What is really scary is that if Trump had handled the Covod-19 crisis a little differently the moron would have won – really scary how close it was.

Quite possible. Inheriting economic growth is pretty fortuitous. Competent handling of a crisis is the true test of managerial mettle, and everyone got to see for themselves.

WarRI1

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 am

Elkadad313 wrote:

When I think of this Presidential election result, these words come to mind. Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty we are free at last. No words can describe my feelings better than these from. MLK.

Aesma

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:49 am

luckyone wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
luckyone wrote:

A fair point. Though, I suspect that once out of office Trump will be delighted to have all the perks and adulation (and speaking fees) without the unpleasantness of actually doing the job and everything that comes with it. He also may NEED to cash and his presence on the circuit will keep his name and his brand afloat. But I’m perfectly willing to be wrong about that.

Who is going to pay for his speeches ? Such speeches are attended by people who detest Trump, be they on the left or on the right.

As someone said, people in New York know Trump, that's why they didn't vote for him.

Aesma

Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:55 am

Elkadad313 wrote:
SQ22 wrote:
Please note that thread title will not be changed until there will be an official confirmation on who will be the 46th president of the United States. Thanks

It sounds like a done deal. Who or what in the gov't does the official confirmation?

Well it's only official when the electoral college votes, in December.

Usually, though, the loser concedes, so after that it's "official enough".

luckyone

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:05 am

Aesma wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Who is going to pay for his speeches ? Such speeches are attended by people who detest Trump, be they on the left or on the right.

As someone said, people in New York know Trump, that's why they didn't vote for him.

Maybe appearance fees would be a more appropriate term. I can see him taking fees to show up and chum the waters.

Aesma

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:17 am

The only ones who will pay to worship him are his supporters, however they don't pay huge fees. You can have lots of them to compensate, I guess, but how long will the worshipping continue, I don't know.

emperortk

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:44 am

Elkadad313 wrote:

This was never going to happen though. The quintessence of Trump is dishonesty, blustering showmanship, a pompous disdain for hard work and tough decisions, belief in conspiracies, incapacity to admit personal shortcomings and the superior knowledge or expertise of others, poor judgment, and above all, a bumbling incompetence. All these things make him a piss-poor leader. In order to handle covid differently, he would literally have to have been a different person.

Sokes

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 am

Aesma wrote:
Sokes wrote:

The US trade deficit is caused by the US dollar being the world currency. You want that to continue.

Good objection. I started wondering myself if my statement is true.
New topic:
viewtopic.php?t=1453883

Elkadad313

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:59 am

emperortk wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:

This was never going to happen though. The quintessence of Trump is dishonesty, blustering showmanship, a pompous disdain for hard work and tough decisions, belief in conspiracies, incapacity to admit personal shortcomings and the superior knowledge or expertise of others, poor judgment, and above all, a bumbling incompetence. All these things make him a piss-poor leader. In order to handle covid differently, he would literally have to have been a different person.

Actually, all he had to do was 1) follow the advice of the medical experts, and 2) keep his mouth shut. Of course the latter was basically impossible.

marcelh

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:25 am

M564038 wrote:
Not Donald Trump Jr.

The same Donald Jr. who wanted a “total war”? Exactly those words were used by Adolf Hitler, and as

marcelh

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:37 am

emperortk wrote:
Elkadad313 wrote:

And he has attracted more than 70 million voters. It tells me a lot about the state of mind of the US society....

flyboy730

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 am

The saddest part about the USA is how divided we are. People can blame Trump for this division however, Trump was elected because of it. I pray that I am wrong but, I believe we are seeing the slow downfall and eventual demise of America.

I witnessed a viscous argument between 2 of my neighbors today in their driveway. We’ve all been neighbors for more than 20 years. It’s so sad because the fierceness of this argument is indicative of our population.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:51 am

flyboy730 wrote:
The saddest part about the USA is how divided we are. People can blame Trump for this division however, Trump was elected because of it. I pray that I am wrong but, I believe we are seeing the slow downfall and eventual demise of America.

I witnessed a viscous argument between 2 of my neighbors today in their driveway. We’ve all been neighbors for more than 20 years. It’s so sad because the fierceness of this argument is indicative of our population.

The division was there but Trump put next to no effort into alleviating it while exacerbating much more of it. Major divisions along class and educational lines have now splintered further in multiple spheres - gender, industry, public vs private education, science vs populism, etc just to name a few. Through promoting baseless conspiracies and junk pseudoscience he actively moved the culture away from values that contributed to American greatness in the last century.

tommy1808

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:34 am

luckyone wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Annnnd that is the funny bit.... he only still has a twitter account because Twitter put an exception for heads of states in their rules. Next January that exception doesn't apply to him anymore.

I wonder if Twitter will chose to expand that exception to former heads of states or take his account down?

Best regards
Thomas

Aaron747

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:39 am

tommy1808 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Annnnd that is the funny bit.... he only still has a twitter account because Twitter put an exception for heads of states in their rules. Next January that exception doesn't apply to him anymore.

I wonder if Twitter will chose to expand that exception to former heads of states or take his account down?

Best regards
Thomas

Twitter has already confirmed he will be treated as other users are once out of office - he will be subject to suspension or account termination if rules are violated.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... f-he-loses

tommy1808

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:58 am

Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Twitter has already confirmed he will be treated as other users are once out of office - he will be subject to suspension or account termination if rules are violated.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... f-he-loses

I wonder if there will be a betting market about how long January 20th he is going to keep his account :lol:

And how can I find it...

Best regards
Thomas