Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KlimaBXsst

Re: Official Election thread

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Count Act of 1887, the law outlining the process. In the end, if the Democratic-controlled House and GOP-controlled Senate could not agree on which electors to accept, and there is no vote and no winner, the presidency would pass to the next person in the line of succession at the end of Trump and Vice President Mike Pence’s term on Jan. 20. That would be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat.

——

Remember the plan. Shhh
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

ArcticSEA

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Trumpian way to admit defeat... https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 79552?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PNW-based private pilot and engineer. #fatpnw

Francoflier

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:22 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Not true. Just remember; KlimaBXsst has a genuine interest in aviation matters (seriously!), and was the guy who brought you this;

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight ... on-system/

Interesting. I do remember this thread with the funny seal... An even better design than the airplane itself.

ArcticSEA wrote:
Trumpian way to admit defeat... https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 79552?s=21

Baby steps. Big, whiny, lying, spoiled and mercurial baby steps...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Well thanks for remembering my Boom Overture posting. You should see the

Overture in President Trump’s Boeing 757 livery!

Looks absolutely amazing!

Baldr

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:59 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
2122M wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
from what I am seeing the potential deception is far more endemic and pervasive,

So please, what are you seeing that hasn’t been thrown out of court and/or throughly debunked already?

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Hanging CHAD Al Gore’s recount took 37 days.

I expect this to take even longer as from what I am seeing the potential deception is far more endemic and pervasive,

and an even GREATER THREAT TO DEMOCRACIES integrity than the Al Gore event.

So I suggest, just grab your popcorn and crisps, and watch the American process play out. Oh and ...stay Covid-19 six feet apart, as long as you have a mask, and are around no one group of 10, more than 15 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving Airlines. The airlines and their EMPLOYEES really needed this

along with the corruptible Dominion voting machines with their vote counting tech some of which outsourced, and other counting potentially manipulated in the data centers. Remember this people like you remember the BOEING MAX, when your state or county purchases vote counting technology in the future.

Honestly as an independent Trump Republican or and independent Republican... I have learned long ago not to waste too much time with those who may have closed minds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=88jWxiC9orM

As seen from Europe, the U.S. Republican party appears to look like a criminal organisation. Here in Europe, we know all about the GOP's sheenanigans and its lies and deceits on a whole lot of issues -- including, of course, the long-running, orchestrated GOP disinformation campaign intended to sow doubt about the international scientific consensus that global warming is caused by humans and poses a profound threat to civilisation.

NB: Before getting yourself all worked up: It was the Soviet Union -- and not the U.S. -- that largely defeated Nazi Germany which suffered 80 percent of its casualties during WW2 on the Eastern Front.

Now, while you seem to have jumped on the Trump bandwagon -- you know, all the nonsense, lies, distortions and misinformation originating from within the Republican Party itself, and from Faux News and all the other paranoid, right-wing news outlets -- which continue to spread misinformation about the U.S. presidential election nearly two weeks ago, you're seemingly not concerned at all about how the Republican Party has essentially destroyed democracy in the U.S.

NB: In the country that I live in there is no separate voter registration: All eligible voters can automatically vote. Citizens and residents are included in the national register where each person is assigned a personal number of eleven digits which include the person's date of birth. The register is used for tax lists, voter lists, membership in the universal health care system and other purposes, and it is maintained by the tax authorities. All eligible voters receive a card in the mail before each election which shows the date, time and local polling place. Voters may vote early in any district in the country, usually at City Hall or similar, or in embassies and consulates abroad, or by mail. Early voting starts two months before the election, and ends about a week before election day. Only citizens may vote in national elections, while longtime residents may vote in local and regional elections.

Of Course, the U.S. Republican Party don't want any form of automatic voter registration, where everyone who turns 18 or becomes a naturalised U.S. citizen is automatically enrolled. Everyone who fits these criteria would be issued an ID, and the government would be responsible for keeping that updated. This is similar to a model that lots of European democracies follow. The fundamental reason why you don’t have automatic voter registration goes back to your commitment to excluding some people.

A 2017 estimate from the Pew Charitable Trust, based on US census data, calculated that more than 20 percent of eligible citizens were unregistered. This has an effect on turnout, which in the United States is far lower than some of its peer democracies.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/issue-briefs/2017/06/why-are-millions-of-citizens-not-registered-to-vote

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/11/03/in-past-elections-u-s-trailed-most-developed-countries-in-voter-turnout/

-

Getting rid of Trump won't be enough to fix America's broken democracy:

The good news is that Donald Trump appears to be on the cusp of being voted out of the White House. The bad news is that Trump was not a unique, aberrant threat to American democracy; it was already broken so deeply and in so many ways that no single election can possibly repair the damage.

-

Representational fairness is even more dire in the US Senate, which gives disproportionate power to older, whiter, more rural and more conservative interests. Right now, states representing just 17% of the nation’s population could elect a majority of senators. By 2040, the 15 most populous states will be home to 67% of Americans yet represented by just 30% of the Senate. Add up the actual votes received in the winning election of every sitting US senator, and Republicans haven’t won a senate majority since the mid-1990s. Yet they’ve controlled the Senate for 10 of the last 20 years, and used that advantage to shape the ideological balance on the federal courts.

By taking advantage of American democracy’s design flaws, Republicans secured an edge. State legislatures and the courts helped make it stick. After Barack Obama and the Democrats swept elections in 2008, Republicans identified another tactic that could be exploited as a path back to power: redistricting.

-

Gerrymandered legislatures led the way. State Republicans rigged rules and entrenched themselves in power. Twenty-five states enacted restrictive voter identification (ID) bills or tightened measures already in place. Texas required ID that the state knew 600,000 registered Latino voters lacked. North Carolina’s legislature studied the exact forms of ID that Black voters were least likely to have, then required those. Alabama began enforcing a strict ID bill; then, in 2015, closed almost all of the offices in majority black counties where people could get those IDs. And Wisconsin’s new law may have prevented 300,000 people from voting, a federal court found, in a state Trump carried by a margin of less than 25,000 in 2016.

-

In some cases, citizens have organized heroic efforts to undo racist voter suppression and gerrymandering – only to see their own courts and legislatures override them. In Florida, a referendum to restore voting rights to 1.4 million formerly incarcerated citizens – people who lost the franchise permanently with a conviction, a cruel vestige of the Jim Crow South still with us 150 years after the Civil War – won in 2018 with almost 65% of the vote. In response, Florida’s gerrymandered legislature passed a law requiring all fines and fees associated with the conviction to be paid first. It was essentially a modern poll tax, and the courts went right along with it.

-

Trump may have lost, but the Texas governor who limited ballot dropboxes to one per county isn’t going anywhere. Nor are his congressional colleagues, who refused to fully fund the postal service amid expanded pandemic mail-in voting. And what about the Wisconsin state legislators who forced voters to the polls in-person this spring during coronavirus? Or the Republican officials who refused to begin processing millions of mail-in ballots early, enabling Trump to try to paint mail ballots as somehow fraudulent?

These past months have exposed the frailty of a system that relies on norms and responsible behavior from its leaders. These guardrails are more rickety than imagined.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/us-democracy-trump-election-gerrymandering

-

Now, the U.S. Constitution is, of course, fundamentally flawed -- it's impossible to amend. All other major democracies routinely update their constitutions, but the U.S. Constitution may as well have been written in stone. Any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution is idle because it’s effectively impossible. The problem starts with Article 5 of the U.S. Constitution. It provides that an amendment can be proposed either by a two-thirds majority in both the House and the Senate or by a convention, called into being by Congress, after a request from two-thirds of the states. That’s version A and version B of step one. If an amendment makes it through either one, then comes step two: ratification by three-quarters of the states. In other words, an amendment requires a supermajority twice.

In setting the bar for amendment so high, the Framers of the U.S. Constitution didn’t foresee that as the U.S. became more populous and diverse, it would become harder for people to reach the near-consensus required for change. Hence, they blundered.

In contrast, most liberal democracies amend their constitutions with great frequency. Germany, for example, amends its Basic Law almost once per year, and France a bit more than once every two years.

Also, the U.S.is a very conservative country that suffers from the "not invented here syndrome". As the U.S. copied and used the flawed British first-past-the-post electoral system,far too many citizens of the U.S. seem to believe,; or rather, have been indoctrinated-to-believe, that your peculiar type of democracy (or lack there of?) is the "greatest democracy on the face of the Earth." Apparently, you don't seem to be interested to learn anything from, or copy other more succesful liberal democracies' parliamentary systems that have proportional representation.

In fact, there's plenty of evidence that the electoral results in a first-past-the-post electoral system are unjust: The popular vote doesn't translate into seats. The sense of national disunity is exaggerated, and minority voices are stifled.

One of the main arguments in support of first-past-the-post is that it is likely to produce a strong, stable government. The logical corollary is that proportional representation generally produces minority or coalition governments that are weak and unstable. But there is no evidence that proportional representation is associated with instability or that it triggers more frequent elections. Most of the OECD countries have been using proportional representation for decades.

Furthermore, the health and vibrancy of democracy is not measured by the speed and efficiency of the law-making process, but by the firm commitment to adhere to the democratic principles of deliberation, consensus and inclusion of diverse societal interests in public policy decision-making -- exactly what the U.S. seems to be in desperate need of.

Compared with first-past-the-post, proportional representation is better at improving the quality of representation by providing more latitude for minor parties to participate in parliamentary deliberation and debate, and increasing the representation of women, ethnic groups, cultural minorities -- and of course, right wingers as well. Nigel Farage, for example, never managed to get elected as a member of the U.K. parliament from the U.K. Independence Party (UKIP), but was easily elected as a member of the EU parliament due to proportional representation that is giving parties such as UKIP a voice in European affairs. Of course, due to Brexit, Mr. Farage is no longer a member of the EU parliament and appears to be out of a proper job for the moment.

-

“Americans are, of course, the most thoroughly and passively indoctrinated people on earth. They know next to nothing as a rule about their own history, or the histories of other nations, or the histories of the various social movements of the past.”

Source: Rick Malloy, S.J. - Dir. of Mission and Ministry at Cristo Rey Jesuit H.S. in Baltimore.

https://twitter.com/FrMalloy/status/1233404011191119872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1233404011191119872%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailykos.com%2Fstory%2F2020%2F2%2F28%2F1922840%2F--Americans-are-the-most-thoroughly-and-passively-indoctrinated-people-on-earth

Ken777

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:19 am

meecrob wrote:
...the Trump administration had nothing to do with the vaccines...

Remembering his suggestion of injecting bleach into the lungs I would say he had squat in developing the vaccine. The Doctors and Scientists (both in and out of Government) were the central drivers. If nothing else, Trump was more of a hinderance, especially when he was screwing up the PPE distributions.

Of maybe some Trumpers were thinking about Donny Boy's achievements in the development of Herd Mentality, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Aaron747

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:29 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Count Act of 1887, the law outlining the process. In the end, if the Democratic-controlled House and GOP-controlled Senate could not agree on which electors to accept, and there is no vote and no winner, the presidency would pass to the next person in the line of succession at the end of Trump and Vice President Mike Pence’s term on Jan. 20. That would be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat.

——

Remember the plan. Shhh

Do you have any kind of source to cite for this wildly unfounded claim?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

KlimaBXsst

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 am

Ken777 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
.....vaccine...
think someone may have missed the update about the vaccine and Pfizer receiving funds

Remembering his suggestion of injecting bleach into the lungs.....

Here is the full narrative. I was able to take in the whole Telecast this particular day. He was not the most or very eloquent that day, and seemed tired, like he had been working a lot on the Covid Situation I shall add

T R U T H is so much better than hyperbole.
——-
Here are President Trump’s full comments:

“A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it.

And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. (To Bryan) And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?”

He continued.

“And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me.

So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.”

Later, Trump clarified his comments after a reporter asked Bryan whether disinfectants could actually be injected into COVID-19 patients.

“It wouldn’t be through injections, almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object.”

—-

President Trump did not explicitly recommend ingesting a disinfectant like bleach.

Nevertheless, his remarks led some companies and state agencies to issue warnings about ingesting disinfectants. The maker of Lysol said in a statement that “under no circumstance” should its products be used in the human body.

——
Aaron 74 above

Shhh! don’t tell anyone and spoil Pelosi’s chances!
USA Today. The PLAN, the PLAN.... shhh!

Aaron747

Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:19 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
.....vaccine...
think someone may have missed the update about the vaccine and Pfizer receiving funds

Here is the full narrative. I was able to take in the whole Telecast this particular day. He was not the most or very eloquent that day, and seemed tired, like he had been working a lot on the Covid Situation I shall add

——-

“A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it.

And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. (To Bryan) And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?”

He continued.

“And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me.

So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.”

Later, Trump clarified his comments after a reporter asked Bryan whether disinfectants could actually be injected into COVID-19 patients.

“It wouldn’t be through injections, almost a cleaning and sterilization of an area. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t work, but it certainly has a big effect if it’s on a stationary object.”

—-

President Trump did not explicitly recommend ingesting a disinfectant like bleach.

Nevertheless, his remarks led some companies and state agencies to issue warnings about ingesting disinfectants. The maker of Lysol said in a statement that “under no circumstance” should its products be used in the human body.

——
Aaron 74 above

That's not a source. Do you have a link to a USA Today article indicating there is discussion of installing Pelosi?

As for the full transcript of the Trump presser, I also saw it that day and reading the full readout only reminds one how idiotic he sounded. Anyone asking what he was asking slept through high school science and has very little practical understanding of anything. Tremendous UV light? That causes cancer. Bring light inside the body through the skin? Doesn't understand how light works in a medium. Doesn't understand the elementary differences in chemical properties between solid surfaces and moist tissues in the body. Knocking out a virus with a 'cleaning' in the body? Gee, they shoulda thought of that one decades ago! :sarcastic: He's an ignoramus.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

flyguy89

Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:37 am

Baldr wrote:
it's impossible to amend. All other major democracies routinely update their constitutions, but the U.S. Constitution may as well have been written in stone.

It's actually been amended 27 times, most recently in 1992, so no, clearly not impossible to amend.

Baldr wrote:
In setting the bar for amendment so high, the Framers of the U.S. Constitution didn’t foresee that as the U.S. became more populous and diverse, it would become harder for people to reach the near-consensus required for change. Hence, they blundered.

That the bar is set so high on amending the federal constitution is a feature, not a blunder. Unlike other smaller, highly-centralized countries, the US Federal government is purposefully nowhere near as robust because it's the state governments who take the lead in governing and have the greatest impact on the day-to-day lives of the people and governing. Because the US is a coalition of 50 sovereign states, it stands to reason that the bar is understandably higher to amend the federal constitution to which all states are subject. You also neglect in your analysis that each state maintains its own constitution and courts which again are much more impactful in the day-to-day lives of the people than the federal constitution in a way not meaningfully comparable to other countries in Europe. State questions and constitutional amendments to the state governments are actually on the ballot in nearly every state in nearly every election, so Americans actually have a great deal and frequency of say in amending their governing documents.

seb146

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:44 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Baldr wrote:
it's impossible to amend. All other major democracies routinely update their constitutions, but the U.S. Constitution may as well have been written in stone.

It's actually been amended 27 times, most recently in 1992, so no, clearly not impossible to amend.

That amendment was proposed in 1789. So clearly impossible to amend. It took an act of the Supreme Court to decide "faithless electors" but it is not decided because SCOTUS decisions can be overturned. Bush v. Gore can be overturned and a Constitutional amendment can be proposed to decide a president and it is a whole big thing that will never happen.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

art

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:47 am

Question, please...

I see reference to a SCOTUS hearing in May 2020 regarding "faithless electors" but I see no references to the outcome. Was the verdict to the effect that EC electors had a duty to exercise discretion / were allowed to exercise discretion when casting their ballot?

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
.....vaccine...

——-

He continued.

—-

——
Aaron 74 above

you do realize Trump said the virus would one day just disappear, do you want to defend him on that remark as well? or pass because that really was a dumb thing to say and it did cost lives for those who decided to magically believe him without facts.

moo

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:11 am

art wrote:
Question, please...

I see reference to a SCOTUS hearing in May 2020 regarding "faithless electors" but I see no references to the outcome. Was the verdict to the effect that EC electors had a duty to exercise discretion / were allowed to exercise discretion when casting their ballot?

The outcome was that States can enforce their laws requiring electors to abide by the popular vote.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 5_i425.pdf

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/supreme ... -vote.html

art

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:01 am

moo wrote:
art wrote:
Question, please...

The outcome was that States can enforce their laws requiring electors to abide by the popular vote.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 5_i425.pdf

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/supreme ... -vote.html

Thanks for that. I find this reassuring in the opinion

'Most relevant here, States began about 60 years ago to back up their pledge laws with some kind of sanction. By now, 15 States have such a system. Almost all of them immediately remove a faithless elector from his position, substituting an alternate whose vote the State reports instead.'

Would it were all of them!

flyguy89

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 am

seb146 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
Baldr wrote:

That amendment was proposed in 1789. So clearly impossible to amend.

Clearly not.

bennett123

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 am

I also recall the 'bleach' comments.

He did not propose injecting people with disinfectant.

He pondered/mused about a range of possibilities, as opposed to his normal clear cut views.

My first thought was might be a good idea to say this is a clear idea rather than musing.

My second thought was is this guy drunk or is dementia setting in.

Frankly his performance that day was embarrassing.

scbriml

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am

bennett123 wrote:
I also recall the 'bleach' comments.

He did not propose injecting people with disinfectant.

He pondered/mused about a range of possibilities, as opposed to his normal clear cut views.

My first thought was might be a good idea to say this is a clear idea rather than musing.

My second thought was is this guy drunk or is dementia setting in.

Frankly his performance that day was embarrassing.

The best part of all that was Trump kept looking to Debbie Birx for confirmation that they were actually researching how to get sunlight into the body or do deep internal cleaning with bleach. Her face was priceless - it said “What the hell have I done to deserve this?”

Watch her just die...
https://youtu.be/I32y_0Qgb8o
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:59 am

Strangely enough she didn't say a word.

flipdewaf

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 pm

bennett123 wrote:

I work in R&D with a lot of shy introverted scientists, we used to have a boss who claimed he was open to criticism because during ‘town hall’ meetings he would invite people to standup and be critical of him, when a shy retiring scientist who was critical of moving without suitable knowledge failed to say anything he took it as validation that he must be correct, not that he had chosen the wrong forum for that question or lacked the skills to communicate suitably with them. This same thing plays out here, trumps lack of suitable communications skills as a leader are evident.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aerosreenivas

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Despite this stupidity on the part of Trump, his supporters are still refusing to accept the 'Compulsary Mask Mandate' and instead rallying behind Trump.

ArcticSEA

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:28 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:
Despite this stupidity on the part of Trump, his supporters are still refusing to accept the 'Compulsary Mask Mandate' and instead rallying behind Trump.

There is no Federal "compulsary" (whatever that means) mask mandate.
If you think the only people who don't want to or otherwise question the efficacy of mask wearing are Trump supporters, you are delusional.
PNW-based private pilot and engineer. #fatpnw

bennett123

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Not only did she not contradict him, she did not endorse him or confirm that research into those possibilities was envisaged, let alone taking place.

Surely he discussed these things with his advisers, or was he just making it up as he went along.

scbriml

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:35 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Her face did her talking!

bennett123 wrote:
Surely he discussed these things with his advisers, or was he just making it up as he went along.

Making it up, much like everything else during the last four years.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

petertenthije

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
vrbarreto wrote:
Maybe Trump fancies himself as 'President Clark'

(k)gosh.. please someone hide the football...

best regards
Thomas
Let's hope note. Remember Kosh's answer to the question "How will this end?"
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

bennett123

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Who are President Clark and Kosh?.

casinterest

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:09 pm

I wonder if it will be in December that we see serious advancement of the 25th amendment procedures to replace Trump with Pence in order to ensure stable government going forward.
Trump has been so wrapped in his echo chamber he believes his lies are true.

Trump has no evidence for a an Election he claims his rigged, yet he has 250,000+ deaths for a virus he claims is a hoax.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Francoflier

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Lol. It seems something shorted inside his dysfunctional brain when he lost... His fragile and oversized ego can't take it.
He's stuck in complete stupor and is hiding inside his alternate reality.

This guy will be a case study for psychology students for generations to come.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

petertenthije

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:26 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Who are President Clark and Kosh?.

From an old TV show: Babylon 5.
Well worth your time if you are into sci-fi.

You might consider it off-topic. But so many threads have been highjacked by US politics over the years, that having one politics thread highjacked by non-politics makes for an interesting change of pace. And the paralells between Trump and Clark are uncanny. :D ;)
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

astuteman

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Lol. It seems something shorted inside his dysfunctional brain when he lost... His fragile and oversized ego can't take it.
He's stuck in complete stupor and is hiding inside his alternate reality.

This guy will be a case study for psychology students for generations to come.

Either that or he's playing the biggest reality TV practical joke in history .......

Rgds

art

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:32 pm

bgm wrote:
And to think that 70+ million people thought *THIS* is who they want running the country. Good grief, there are a lot of dumb people in the US. Thankfully, there are 75+ million who are not.

I believe final numbers are 78+ million votes for the Democratic candidate and 73+ million for the Republican. How many of the 151+ million who voted were not partisans? Is it just dumb Republicans who slavishly vote along party lines or do dumb Democrats do the same?

DIRECTFLT

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:44 pm

So, let me get this straight....

President-Elect Biden plans on issuing an Executive Order, to allow more immigration, on Day One....

In the "Middle of a Pandemic" .... during our "Dark Winter Ahead" ....

Well that's just Crazy ! ! ! !

Are they going to be quarantined in Camps when they arrive???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ive-orders

It looks to me like the Catholic Biden is taking orders from the Papacy.

http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco ... tutti.html
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:54 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

President-Elect Biden plans on issuing an Executive Order, to allow more immigration, on Day One....

Link to source (with detailed information)?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

N867DA

Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Why are you concerned now? I thought Republicans wanted things to re-open as soon as possible?

Less tongue in cheek, it's worth nothing making policy changes to allow increased immigration does not necessarily mean immigrants will immediately be allowed to board 747s. It simply means policy has been updated, and once it is safe to do so interested parties are welcome to apply. Even possessing a valid US visa does not guarantee entrance to the United States; that decision is made by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

I feel great knowing I have these two things in common with President Trump: We have an equal claim to the White House on January 20th, 2021 and neither of us have ever won re-election.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

DIRECTFLT

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

Tugg,

I have edited my post with the links posted...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

waterpolodan

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:31 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ive-orders

It looks to me like the Catholic Biden is taking orders from the Papacy.

http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco ... tutti.html

"On immigration, Biden will reportedly repeal the travel ban that includes many Muslim countries and reinstate the “DREAMers” program, which allowed children of undocumented immigrants to remain in the country."

He'd remove the travel ban implemented by Trump to appeal to his racist base on their fear of Muslims. This doesn't change the CDC's entry guidelines for travelers, so it doesn't change anything with regards to the pandemic. The DREAMer issue is specific to people who are already in the United States, so again, no issue on bringing the virus into the country.

AirWorthy99

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:35 pm

N867DA wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Why are you concerned now? I thought Republicans wanted things to re-open as soon as possible?

Less tongue in cheek, it's worth nothing making policy changes to allow increased immigration does not necessarily mean immigrants will immediately be allowed to board 747s. It simply means policy has been updated, and once it is safe to do so interested parties are welcome to apply. Even possessing a valid US visa does not guarantee entrance to the United States; that decision is made by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

I feel great knowing I have these two things in common with President Trump: We have an equal claim to the White House on January 20th, 2021 and neither of us have ever won re-election.

Bad policy considering there is historic unemployment in this country. You would first think on having a full employment economy before bringing unemployed here.

But silicon valley is also asking for another reversal: https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... visa-rules

Yes good times ahead, thanks to the globalist corporatist elite in command of WH policy. Lets just hope Biden also doesn't get us into another war. Something Trump did not do, being the first president in generations not to get us involved in foreign wars.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Tugger

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Tugger wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Tugg

Tugg,

I have edited my post with the links posted...

Thanks for the update and links. I will note that there is no statement that there will be unfettered access to the USA by these nations. Just a change in the policy of denial on entry from the affected nations. Quarantine rules and travel bans due to COVID related issues are not also being lifted. At least based on what I am reading.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

N867DA

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:46 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
N867DA wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Bad policy considering there is historic unemployment in this country. You would first think on having a full employment economy before bringing unemployed here.

But silicon valley is also asking for another reversal: https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying ... visa-rules

Yes good times ahead, thanks to the globalist corporatist elite in command of WH policy. Lets just hope Biden also doesn't get us into another war. Something Trump did not do, being the first president in generations not to get us involved in foreign wars.

I agree immigration needs to be balanced with the needs of Americans, and the economy is something that should be considered when weighing immigration policy. I do not trust Donald Trump to do this responsibly.

What is wrong with an elite in the White House? I want people who are educated and able to make nuanced policy decisions, uniters who do not make their own countrymen feel unwanted or marginalized, achievers who are good at negotiating instead of ducking their responsibilities when things get tough in charge. "I take no responsibility at all" should not be uttered by a sitting president, and in better times would be taken as abdication of the role of president. Remember "The buck stops here"? Donald Trump is incredibly polarizing and divisive, to the point where he publicly threatens to not fund states after disasters because their governors are of the opposite party. America's rejection of Donald Trump while support for downballot Republicans speaks volumes--nothing wrong with conservatism but Donald needs to go.

ER757

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm

ArcticSEA wrote:

Fortunately, A.Net has the perfect emoji to describe Trump right now: :hissyfit:

luckyone

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:04 pm

N867DA wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
N867DA wrote:

I agree immigration needs to be balanced with the needs of Americans, and the economy is something that should be considered when weighing immigration policy. I do not trust Donald Trump to do this responsibly.

What is wrong with an elite in the White House? I want people who are educated and able to make nuanced policy decisions, uniters who do not make their own countrymen feel unwanted or marginalized, achievers who are good at negotiating instead of ducking their responsibilities when things get tough in charge.

Let's also add someone who isn't so transparently vindictive. Otherwise, I agree. There's a logical misstep with the assumption that an Average Joe can run the show. It takes an extraordinary ability to lead and to deal with the pressure of making decisions that leaders are asked to make. You average person does not have to deal with that, and frankly doesn't know how. That's not a knock on a hard working person putting food on their table and raising their family. It's just a statement. I get really nervous in particular when I hear people who've never spent more than a few days away from where they were born talk like they know how to run the world, when in reality these people don't even have a clue how other people in their own country live -- just discussing the concept of regular parallel parking to some of my childhood acquaintances, you'd think I was describing flying a rocket.

AirWorthy99

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:17 pm

N867DA wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
N867DA wrote:

What is wrong with an elite in the White House? I want people who are educated and able to make nuanced policy decisions, uniters who do not make their own countrymen feel unwanted or marginalized, achievers who are good at negotiating instead of ducking their responsibilities when things get tough in charge. "I take no responsibility at all" should not be uttered by a sitting president, and in better times would be taken as abdication of the role of president. Remember "The buck stops here"? Donald Trump is incredibly polarizing and divisive, to the point where he publicly threatens to not fund states after disasters because their governors are of the opposite party. America's rejection of Donald Trump while support for downballot Republicans speaks volumes--nothing wrong with conservatism but Donald needs to go.

So many myths that are still going around.

The wise, intelligent, talented, gifted elite of this country has run this country down to the abyss. They have been ruling this country till all of the sudden uncontrollable and crazy Donald took the WH. That's why for 4 years we have seen the attacks by all fronts, some were deserved, but the vast majority exaggerated and crazy, like Russian collusion and impeachment for a phone call.

These elites you prefer to allow your country be governed got us to many many foreign conflicts, I know you might have forgotten by now, I know you probably think we won't do them again, but almost all presidents have gotten us into wars which made no absolute sense. From Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Libya you name it.

One thing we the average Joe don't know is that these elites are elite because they follow the same old doctrine. They get into the best schools, get the DC job, then become wealthy private citizens (and repeat for generations). That's the elite that will come back in 2024. And possibly stay there for the foreseeable future even if a GOP president comes back in 2024.

Hate Trump or not, he was the result of the populace of this country tired and fed up with the elites only thinking about themselves and their bottom line for generations.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Tugger

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Hate Trump or not, he was the result of the populace of this country tired and fed up with the elites only thinking about themselves and their bottom line for generations.

Wait, so you are saying that the people of this nation were so fed up with the "elites only thinking about themselves and their bottom lines" for so long that they turned to and elected a well known elite that only thinks about himself and his bottom line?

That makes no sense.

Tugg

scbriml

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:26 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

As far as I can see, you've perfectly described Trump's presidency. :yes:

Or are you one of the Trumpets who believes he's "a man of the people"? Jesus, his whole family is involved in the White House. Drain the swamp? More like add to the swamp. Hilarious.

2122M

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:26 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

This is 100% true. What is sad about this statement is that the very same people that were 'tired and fed up with elites that only thought about themselves and their bottom line' elected an elitist from New York that only thinks about himself and his bottom line.

flipdewaf

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:28 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Wait? How does Resident Trump not for the exact mould of an elite?

It seems to me that elite vs elite has some other factors involved. Stoking hatred appeals to simpletons I suppose.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirWorthy99

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Being wealthy and being elite is not the same. Trump wasn't of the governing elite. Was he of the elite of Manhattan? probably, of West Palm Beach? probably.

But not the governing elite. Meaning the ruling class of this country. Don't confuse both. You can be wealthy but that doesn't make you part of a privileged and well connected social ruling class.

N867DA

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:34 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
N867DA wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

So many myths that are still going around.

The wise, intelligent, talented, gifted elite of this country has run this country down to the abyss. They have been ruling this country till all of the sudden uncontrollable and crazy Donald took the WH. That's why for 4 years we have seen the attacks by all fronts, some were deserved, but the vast majority exaggerated and crazy, like Russian collusion and impeachment for a phone call.

These elites you prefer to allow your country be governed got us to many many foreign conflicts, I know you might have forgotten by now, I know you probably think we won't do them again, but almost all presidents have gotten us into wars which made no absolute sense. From Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Libya you name it.

One thing we the average Joe don't know is that these elites are elite because they follow the same old doctrine. They get into the best schools, get the DC job, then become wealthy private citizens (and repeat for generations). That's the elite that will come back in 2024. And possibly stay there for the foreseeable future even if a GOP president comes back in 2024.

OK, but what has Donald Trump done that any boilerplate neocon would not have done, besides a few embarrassing tweets, being needlessly divisive, and enriching his own pockets? Here is the GOP's 2004 Party Platform: https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... y-platform . It is lengthy, so here is a summary: https://www.ontheissues.org/2004_GOP_Platform.htm

Please point out where Donald Trump significantly deviates from this sixteen-year old document. I have found maybe three or four, regarding tariffs and perhaps foreign engagement. Both of those are somewhat a reach, becuase even GWB used tariffs for economic protectionism and troop counts (including third party 'contractor" troops) have not significantly fallen. Correction: US Troop counts in Iraq and Afghanistan have fallen significantly over the past four years. While some of it is due to timing (notably that those countries have an able-bodied air force and army) a lot is due to effort to drawdown troops. There about 25,000 contractors in Afghanistan, of which a fifth are security.

I also think isolationism--which is what Trump champions--is worse for America. We succeed because we are industrious, freedom-loving, and project soft and hard power globally. I am happy Trump did not increase foreign engagements. I am even happier with his work in the Middle East and give him full credit for his work there. I am not at all happy with his larger foreign policy stance.

Is it more possible that Donald Trump has made impassioned speeches that appeal to people who feel that elites have run the country "into the abyss" while doing the exact same things as his predecessors, but with more hateful, vulgar, divisive language? Not only are you getting screwed by the President, you're being asked to distrust the people telling you you're getting screwed.

I don't think Democrats or Republicans have all the answers. I think the Democrats are closer, and make no attempts to hide that opinion. Republicans have some good ideas, especially about the importance of working hard and perseverance. But Trump and his message is not good for America.
Last edited by N867DA on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:41 pm

N867DA wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
N867DA wrote:

DACA has been reinstated by an Obama appointee who got bipartisan support (92-1)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-orde ... -dreamers/
https://www.nilc.org/issues/daca/alert- ... n-of-daca/

seb146

Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Being wealthy and being elite is not the same. Trump wasn't of the governing elite. Was he of the elite of Manhattan? probably, of West Palm Beach? probably.

But not the governing elite. Meaning the ruling class of this country. Don't confuse both. You can be wealthy but that doesn't make you part of a privileged and well connected social ruling class.

Jeff Bezos and Warren Buffett are both wealthy and we are told time and again by the right wing media they are both part of the elite ruling class. Neither has held any political office. Bezos made money on his own as has Buffett. So, the right should be celebrating both. But the right keeps telling us to hate them but, instead, celebrate a man who squandered his family's wealth and is extremely deep in debt.