Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bgm

Re: Updated: Biden officially secures enough electors to become president

Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:43 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Sure there are some fringe far right people out there as well.

What on earth would possibly give you that idea? :rotfl:

They're called the GOP.

seb146

Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
ztarizona wrote:

Howard Dean was right Defund the police is the absolutely wrong message. As he says what they mean to say is "reform the police" and move some of the money to social workers and crisis teams who can help people to get off of addictions or off the street into some kind of affordable housing. Defund the police cannot be proclaimed in middle America or suburbs. It just cannot win. I dont even need a political science degree to know that.

Move some of the money to retraining programs so we can have the police force we need not trigger happy types we are seeing on the news of late. Sometimes its not even minorities who end up being killed (ie Ryan Whitaker in Phoenix AZ). Its just a culture of shoot first.

Unfortunately we are now a heavily militarized society and its celebrated. Per your point it is actually interesting trump confiscated bump stocks (weapons attachment) and there was little to no outcry from Rs of "cOnFiScAtIoN!"

Actually there are many, including the wife of mayor of NYC that don't want any police or very little police presence.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politi ... story.html

They have to be militarized in case we get the riots we have gotten in the last few months or the whole city would be burned to the ground. It's not celebrated and it's not there to attack people of color. This is a mantra that is pushed by the MSM every time a bad cop does something as a way to smear the whole department. It's totally ridiculous and it's why it was rejected at the ballot box. They didn't mean to say reform the police they meant defund. The fringe on the left loathes authority and it's obvious. They just can't believe they were called on it and lost house seats and they and Biden is trying to avoid 2024 being another 2010 which they are well on their way to getting with the AOC faction of the party being celebrated as they are on the MSM daily.

Spend money vetting and training police instead of militarizing them. Spend money on health care and drug addiction services instead of militarizing police. Spend money on We The People instead of militarizing police. If the racist cops who are being sheltered by other racist cops had not killed minorities for being, we would not be having this conversation. But, here we are. One side sees a much better use for all that money, the other side shielding and supporting racist cops.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:58 pm

bgm wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Sure there are some fringe far right people out there as well.

What on earth would possibly give you that idea? :rotfl:

They're called the GOP.

Over 80 % of Fox news Frequent viewers don't think Biden won. They aren't just Far right. They are mindlessly dragged into a cult where they all fear the circular firing squad.

https://news.yahoo.com/only-18-frequent ... 30860.html
Very few people who described themselves as frequent Fox News viewers in a new poll accept the outcome of the 2020 election, which President Donald Trump lost and President-elect Joe Biden won.

According to the new poll by Civiqs and Daily Kos, only 18% of frequent Fox News viewers accept the outcome and 43% of occasional Fox News viewers do.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

DIRECTFLT

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm

Congress has not yet Officially counted the elector's votes.

A new President has not been sworn in yet.

And the Fat Lady hasn't begun singing . . .
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Tugger

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:24 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

And....? That means nothing, there's no real issue. We all know who the next president is. Nothing weird there.

The only weird thing is the insane, and I personally think vile, disgusting, asinine, unamerican, unthinking, stupid, attempt by Trump and weak-minded followers along with those seeking to curry favor with him, to sow distrust in strong American institution of fair election and overturn the national vote (of course some may feel differently.). And I think similarly of those that are remaining quiet and not speaking against Trump's and his followers actions.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

luckyone

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Tugger wrote:
And....? That means nothing, there's no real issue. We all know who the next president is. Nothing weird there.

The only weird thing is the insane, and I personally think vile, disgusting, asinine, unamerican, unthinking, stupid, attempt by Trump and weak-minded followers along with those seeking to curry favor with him, to sow distrust in strong American institution of fair election and overturn the national vote (of course some may feel differently.). And I think similarly of those that are remaining quiet and not speaking against Trump's and his followers actions.

Tugg

Dude don't bother. You don't wake up sleep walkers. Or feed trolls.

Tugger

Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:37 pm

luckyone wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Yeah, I hear you.... you got me thinking though, they are more zombies than sleepwalkers, doesn't it seem? Just wanting to destroy the groups of sane living people around them, slow but a big group, all herding along the same way. Not able to apparently hear or think for themselves?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

ER757

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Does anyone else find it ironic that the Texas lawsuit only wants to invalidate votes in states Trump lost? Why not all 50 states. Wasn't there widespread vote by mail in most of them? And didn't Dear Leader himself vote by mail? These guys are more pathetic by the hour.

FGITD

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:37 pm

ER757 wrote:
Does anyone else find it ironic that the Texas lawsuit only wants to invalidate votes in states Trump lost? Why not all 50 states. Wasn't there widespread vote by mail in most of them? And didn't Dear Leader himself vote by mail? These guys are more pathetic by the hour.

Given their fortunes with the fraud claims so far if they even tried to contest the results of a red state, they’d probably accidentally win the claim and turn it blue.

I do have to appreciate the hypocrisy shown by some though.

“Those far left politicians are destroying everything this country stands for! But anyways, back to trying to invalidate the election results of other states...”

If by some hell-sent Disaster Trump was given the presidency, I’d be fully onboard with my region leaving the union. It would be quite clear that there’s nothing left to bargain with

luckyone

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:44 pm

ER757 wrote:

I don't think it's ironic, I think it's telling that they're only going after the "swing" states that drew so much publicity, because that's where they also have enough support. They wouldn't bother to go after a state like Washington (which is entirely mail-in ballot, though the gubernatorial loser is indeed going after it because "irregularities" seems to be the sexy word du jour for sore losers without substantiation of "fraud.") or Illinois (in spite of "everybody knows Chicago is corrupt" and Giuliani actually mentioned the dead old man Mayor Daley in one of his soliloquys) because it wouldn't be as effective in the PR blitz due to the fact that everybody was paying very close attention to Georgia, Pennsylvani, and Wisconsin. What's more than a little ironic is that Texas itself extended mail in balloting. But their argument is they did it legally. What's really boneheaded is the Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Reps argued that the law his legislature crafted and he himself voted for, was corrupted through the legal process of legal challenges, that he wasn't bothered to do anything about until after Pennsylvania went Biden.

wingman

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 pm

Hmmm, Lizard Lips looks like she just spotted a horse fly. Either that or Don Jr. just rolled into the West Wing with a bag of Blue Sky meth.

Aaron747

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:17 pm

ER757 wrote:

This was pointed out directly by Montana governor Steve Bullock, noting that his state did similar actions to what Texas alleges in the lawsuit, yet his state was not sued.

"Texas chose not to include the State of Montana, where President Trump and other Republicans were successful in a mail ballot election conducted to reduce the impact of COVID—underscoring, of course, that this action is less about election integrity than it is about attempting to overturn the will of the electorate"

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story ... 510222002/

It's all so completely, utterly ridiculous. And I thought courts were not to be used in this manner? Not only is the FBI on the Texas AG's ass, but I would hope the Texas state bar will be too.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:43 pm

The Supreme Court has rejected the case:
“Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections,” the court said in a two-paragraph order.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-11/supreme-court-rejects-trump-bid-to-overturn-election-results

Trump will now appeal to the International Court of Justice, the primary judicial branch of the UN.... idiot...

Tugg

luckyone

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Tugger wrote:
“Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections,” the court said in a two-paragraph order.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-11/supreme-court-rejects-trump-bid-to-overturn-election-results

Trump will now appeal to the International Court of Justice, the primary judicial branch of the UN.... idiot...

Tugg

It's worth noting that the only dissenters, IE justices who felt the case merrited a hearing, were Alito (who also stated that he would only hear it, but not grant any relief) and Thomas. None of the President's appointees elected to hear the case. As a nation, can we please collectively reclaim our damn minds.

Aaron747

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:56 pm

luckyone wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

It's worth noting that the only dissenters, IE justices who felt the case merrited a hearing, were Alito (who also stated that he would only hear it, but not grant any relief) and Thomas. None of the President's appointees elected to hear the case. As a nation, can we please collectively reclaim our damn minds.

Nah, we know what's coming next. The True Believers are going to be all over OAN and Newsmax telling the barbarian horde that SCOTUS has been bought out by China, and communist rule will begin on January 21st. The real crazies are going to grab their guns and fight for freedom...or something. I feel sorry for FBI agents and all the OT they will work this month...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

luckyone

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 am

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Tugger wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-results

Tugg

Nah, we know what's coming next. The True Believers are going to be all over OAN and Newsmax telling the barbarian horde that SCOTUS has been bought out by China, and communist rule will begin on January 21st. The real crazies are going to grab their guns and fight for freedom...or something. I feel sorry for FBI agents and all the OT they will work this month...

No doubt there are gong to be a few crazies (snowflakes??), just like there were people who insisted for years that Bush stole the election (he didn't). I'm talking collectively. The majority of people will hopefully accept this as the end like adults, even if they still grumble about it.
Last edited by luckyone on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am

luckyone wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

No doubt there are gong to be a few crazies (snowflakes??), just like there were people who insisted for years that Bush stole the election (he didn't). I'm talking collectively.

If even a quarter of the 80% of Trump voters who think the election was 'stolen' think they ought to *do* something about this, that's still 14.5 million people.

luckyone

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

No doubt there are gong to be a few crazies (snowflakes??), just like there were people who insisted for years that Bush stole the election (he didn't). I'm talking collectively.

If even a quarter of the 80% of Trump voters who think the election was 'stolen' think they ought to *do* something about this, that's still 14.5 million people.

Well, that's pure speculation, and likely something as superficial as their mindless following will lose steam now that their last resort has been taken away. But yes, there will always be a group of people who will not.

Aaron747

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:46 am

Well here we have an insane statement from the Chairman of the Texas GOP basically advocating for a new secession movement.

https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1 ... 1507264515

scbriml

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:47 am

Tugger wrote:

Which can't come as much of a surprise to anyone with a functioning brain. There was no way that the SC was going to toss out millions of legally cast votes.

Unsurprisingly, there's a big meltdown on Gateway Pundit and OAN can't even bring themselves to report it!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Aesma

Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:17 am

Even if Texas was only attacking a few states, if the Supreme Court had gone with it then all 50 elections would be thrown out as a result.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

phatfarmlines

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:59 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Well here we have an insane statement from the Chairman of the Texas GOP basically advocating for a new secession movement.

https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1 ... 1507264515

That seems to be the typical Texan response when things don't go their way.

flyguy89

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:35 am

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Good. Setting aside the implications for representative democracy in the US, the GOP idiots clamoring for this had no concern for the can of worms this would have opened up (i.e. Blue states being able to sue Red states).

bgm

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:56 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
c933103 wrote:
United States is not an authoritarian states. Even if it is indeed better, it's simply wrong to force someone else to be better in the same way that it is wrong to tell people stop drinking alochol or tell people they should become "civilized" by following European tradition and culture.

Where did I say I was forcing them too? You have to ignore them, but still put pressure on the entertainment sources that masquerade as news.

Similar to how Australia treated aboriginal residents there?

Comparing ignorant racist whites to native Aboriginals? Now you're just trolling there, Padawan...

flyingturtle

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Aesma wrote:
Even if Texas was only attacking a few states, if the Supreme Court had gone with it then all 50 elections would be thrown out as a result.

The amicus brief by the Montana AG (the state voted for Trump) mentioned the thorny issue that Montana, like Pennsylvania, changed voting procedures due to Covid-19. And that Texas conveniently forgot to sue Montana...

Well, it would have been a magnanimous event for the history books if the SCOTUS had accepted this case. I would have loved listening to the oral/anal arguments. My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives...
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I love how Republicans keep moving the goalposts.

Step 1: He needed to win the election on November 3
Step 2: States needed to certify his victory
Step 3: Electors need to vote
Step 4: Congress needs to tally the vote
Step 5: Biden has to take the oath

I don't recall you guys being thorough when Trump won in 2016. I don't recall lawsuits all the way up to the Supreme Court seeking to invalidate WI, PA, and MI. The media called the election on Nov 9, 2016...there wasn't anyone claiming that the media doesn't call the election, or throwing lawsuits at states just because.

Aesma wrote:

All 9 agreed there's no merit. And we know that at least 7 agreed to not open the door to allow Texas to make its case; it opened the door to many other things. TX is SO concerned that these 4 states changed their election procedures (conveniently noting that TX and all 17 other states did so too in the face of Covid) that it was impacted because the results in those 4 states changed the national outcome.

Imagine the delight of AGs in CA, NY, IL, MD, and MA (to name a few) if they were able to sue TX, AL, GA, FL, and others for disenfranchising voters...after all, results in those states affect the national outcome.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LMP737

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:49 am

luckyone wrote:
or Illinois (in spite of "everybody knows Chicago is corrupt" and Giuliani actually mentioned the dead old man Mayor Daley in one of his soliloquys) because it wouldn't be as effective in the PR blitz due to the fact that everybody was paying very close attention to Georgia, Pennsylvani, and Wisconsin.

Oh yes! The old urban legend that Mayor Daley stuffed the ballot boxes ensuring a JFK win in the 1960 election. It's a bunch of crap, but it's been repeated so often people just assume it's fact. That's because a lot of people never bother to ask the most important question, is it true?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Newark727

Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:06 am

alfa164 wrote:
Slate has a great analysis of Trump's "General Sherman" strategy:

A grave insult... to General Sherman.

cpd

Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:30 am

Apparently he is going to declassify everything:

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... c456e03373

Final act of MAGA before leaving office. Should be fun to see.

Tours of Area 51? :duck:

SQ22

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:54 am

Please keep this thread on topic, which are the recent elections and the ongoing developments due to the elections. Thanks.

Thunderboltdrgn

Re: Official US Election thread

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:47 am

ltbewr wrote:
VP Pence visited Georgia in person on Friday and Pres. Trump is to visit the state in person on Saturday to rally support for the Republicans in the US Senate seat runoff elections. In contrast, former Pres. Obama did a far safer 'virtual visit' for the Democratic candidates. https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... rump-storm

The US Senate runoff in Georgia is likely going to be a massive and very ugly campaign with a for sure battle as to the counting process, court fights and recounts even if a Democratic win is by significant margins. The election is critical as if both Democrats win, it tips the power to the Democrats as then 50-50 and the Democratic VP to be Harris can break party line deadlocks and committees would have Democrats in control. I very much fear violence from clashes of pro-Trump and anti-Trump groups, even candidates at risk of assassination. Likely Trump will continue his delusional campaign to say he actually won, and that if the Democrats win the senate we will turn communist, take away guns, give Blacks control of government and a lot of other vile, racist and general hate. Meanwhile Trump is ignoring the need for his full attention to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic, causing 1000's more excess deaths and untold damage to our country.

Your fear of violence was correct as there have been violent clashes in DC the past night where several people were stabbed.

Violence flares in Washington as far-right Trump supporters clash with counter-protesters
Four people reportedly stabbed and 23 arrested in the aftermath of a march to denounce Joe Biden’s election victory

Violence has broken out in the streets of Washington DC after far-right groups clashed with counter-protesters in the aftermath of a march by conservatives protesting against US president-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.

Four people were taken to hospital with stab wounds with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to the Washington Post, which quoted DC fire spokesman, Doug Buchanan. Police said 23 people were arrested.
Trump's coup is failing but American democracy is still on the critical list

An estimated 200 members of the Proud Boys, a violent far-right group, had joined the marches earlier on Saturday near the Trump hotel in the capital. Mixing with church groups who urged the faithful to participate in “Jericho Marches” and prayer rallies for the defeated president, the Proud Boys contingent wore combat fatigues and ballistic vests, carried helmets and flashed hand signals used by white nationalists.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... a-face-off
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

CitizenJustin

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:15 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Every court case has failed and SCOTUS denied all requests. It’s done. There will be no coup for you today. Even Trump’s appointed judges told him to take a hike. The reality is that many people are willing to destroy American democracy simply because their guy didn’t win. It’s pathetic, anti-American and traitorous. In 2020, the moderate democrats are closer to true conservatives than the current GOP which is filled with weak minded conspiracists and radicalized right wing extremists.

CitizenJustin

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:44 am

Tugger wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Yeah, I hear you.... you got me thinking though, they are more zombies than sleepwalkers, doesn't it seem? Just wanting to destroy the groups of sane living people around them, slow but a big group, all herding along the same way. Not able to apparently hear or think for themselves?

Tugg

Exactly the type of people who want an authoritarian strongman. A journalist compared this to holding a loaded gun and pointing it right at American democracy. We lucked out as even Trump appointed judges apparently respect the law. Trumpists seem incapable of thinking for themselves and need someone to do it for them. These people have fallen so hard for some of the oldest political tricks in the book. Maybe if they were more historically literate, they’d understand the danger they’re flirting with.

art

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:59 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
The reality is that many people are willing to destroy American democracy simply because their guy didn’t win. It’s pathetic, anti-American and traitorous.

I think you've got it in a nutshell.

bgm

Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:10 pm

MAGA protesters in D.C. last night tore the Black Lives Matter banner off of D.C.'s oldest Black Methodist Church and burned it in the street.

https://twitter.com/ericfidler/status/1 ... 53312?s=21

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:13 pm

bgm wrote:
MAGA protesters in D.C. last night tore the Black Lives Matter banner off of D.C.'s oldest Black Methodist Church and burned it in the street.

https://twitter.com/ericfidler/status/1 ... 53312?s=21

And some of them have bulletproof vests. They're preparing for shootings.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

DocLightning

Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:34 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
traitorous.

Seditious.

If America is going to get through this, then there need to be charges of sedition against the people who waged this bad-faith campaign. Filing a lawsuit is not sedition, but criminal conviction requires criminal intent. Putting false information into multiple lawsuits, inciting others to violence, refusing to permit the legitimately elected government to begin their transition, I think that there are good arguments to be made for charges of sedition here. I'm not a fan of witch hunts, but right now there are an awful lot of witches about.

And once you've been convicted of sedition, you can't hold any public office.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ER757

Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:46 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
traitorous.

Seditious.

If America is going to get through this, then there need to be charges of sedition against the people who waged this bad-faith campaign. Filing a lawsuit is not sedition, but criminal conviction requires criminal intent. Putting false information into multiple lawsuits, inciting others to violence, refusing to permit the legitimately elected government to begin their transition, I think that there are good arguments to be made for charges of sedition here. I'm not a fan of witch hunts, but right now there are an awful lot of witches about.

Yep - and Rudy G should be the first one charged - he's gone full on bats*** crazy. I consider myself an independent but the GOP's recent actions (all those idiots in the House that signed on to the Texas lawsuit) have disgusted me. The damage that Trump has done to the party by somehow convincing a good many of them to play along with his nonsensical challenges to the election is beyond measure. I hope and pray that after this pariah is gone for a few months, that the adults and moderate Republicans (are there any left) can stamp out the insanity so we can have some hope of compromise and bipartisanship in government.

DocLightning

Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:38 pm

[quote="ER757"] I hope and pray that after this pariah is gone for a few months, that the adults and moderate Republicans (are there any left) can stamp out the insanity/quote]

Unlikely. Russia will run their campaigns and ensure that this riles up.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

luckyone

Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:46 pm

ER757 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
traitorous.

Seditious.

Yep - and Rudy G should be the first one charged - he's gone full on bats*** crazy. I consider myself an independent but the GOP's recent actions (all those idiots in the House that signed on to the Texas lawsuit) have disgusted me. The damage that Trump has done to the party by somehow convincing a good many of them to play along with his nonsensical challenges to the election is beyond measure. I hope and pray that after this pariah is gone for a few months, that the adults and moderate Republicans (are there any left) can stamp out the insanity so we can have some hope of compromise and bipartisanship in government.

Sidney Powell should also be disbarred for misrepresenting a mechanic as a cybersecurity expert. Granted, her legal career was likely already winding down and she was looking for some fast cash and maybe a cushy retirement gig on a network as a talking head. She self-published a book a few years back that didn’t get her the attention she wanted...now she may indeed get it. Oh wouldn’t I love to be at the Pearly Gates...

FGITD

Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:04 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
traitorous.

Seditious.

Fully agreed. And this is where I take issue with how much of US politics operate.

The president himself could go on TV and talk about how we really need to start a genocide, and then once he’s out of office the story will shift to how we “must forgive and come together to move forward as one nation”

Exaggerated example, of course...but I’m sick of politics being a zero repercussion game on the basis of “they were just doing what they thought was right.”

We’ve already seen the exact path this leads to with trumps various comments over the years. It’s the same cycle:

He didn’t say that
He didn’t mean it like that
He wasn’t being serious
He was making a joke
He didn’t say that

seb146

Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:12 pm

FGITD wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
traitorous.

Seditious.

Fully agreed. And this is where I take issue with how much of US politics operate.

The president himself could go on TV and talk about how we really need to start a genocide, and then once he’s out of office the story will shift to how we “must forgive and come together to move forward as one nation”

Exaggerated example, of course...but I’m sick of politics being a zero repercussion game on the basis of “they were just doing what they thought was right.”

We’ve already seen the exact path this leads to with trumps various comments over the years. It’s the same cycle:

He didn’t say that
He wasn’t being serious
He was making a joke
He didn’t say that

When networks called Biden winner, moderate Republicans were out in force saying "we need to work together" and "we need to come together" and so forth. That is a load of horse pucky if every I heard one. After four years of silence or "I stand with my party" Republicans now want bipartisanship. They must be called out for what they are and Democrats must not at all work with them. Leave them out in the cold. Just like Republicans did. Give it right back to them. I have posted this before but it is worth posting every time any Republican ever says "we need to work together"

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/06/26/so ... 3rgqOQQ1DQ
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

luckyone

Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Meanwhile for all his bloviating about fighting legal challenges, vetoing spending bills, and cheering on his protesting supporters, the President will spend the day on the golf course...again.

FGITD

Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Seditious.

He didn’t say that
He wasn’t being serious
He was making a joke
He didn’t say that

When networks called Biden winner, moderate Republicans were out in force saying "we need to work together" and "we need to come together" and so forth. That is a load of horse pucky if every I heard one. After four years of silence or "I stand with my party" Republicans now want bipartisanship. They must be called out for what they are and Democrats must not at all work with them. Leave them out in the cold. Just like Republicans did. Give it right back to them. I have posted this before but it is worth posting every time any Republican ever says "we need to work together"

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/06/26/so ... 3rgqOQQ1DQ

I’m not a fan of that type of on/off bipartisanship, but my post was more in reference to the fact that we let many politicians commit literal crimes...then walk away as if nothing happened.

It’s one area where I think the French have it right. Politicians should not fear taking some risks and making strong moves for the better of their population...but they should absolutely live in fear that if they go against the will of the people, they'll be run out of town.

Vladex

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:11 pm

luckyone wrote:
Meanwhile for all his bloviating about fighting legal challenges, vetoing spending bills, and cheering on his protesting supporters, the President will spend the day on the golf course...again.

I think he will spend his time proclaiming national emergency and martial law related to election interference , insurrection act and Executive Directive 51. The day is December 18

chimborazo

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:15 pm

This is great

Trump notes that SC hasn’t considered the Texas request:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... llege-vote

And then a Republican gets upset about other states processes:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scalis ... s-play-out

johnboy

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:45 pm

chimborazo wrote:

And then a Republican gets upset about other states processes:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scalis ... s-play-out

Unfortunately, softball games have consequences.

bennett123

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Sadly for him, if the case is thrown because you don't have standing, it is still thrown out.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:26 pm

From a tweet 'How Trump Wins'

https://twitter.com/Eyconik/status/1338228261483110403?

Point 6. The Election Rejection - On January 6th Congress will convene to count the electoral votes. At this time the sitting VP, Mike Pence, has the ability to challenge by refusing to accept the votes from states in which he believes the vote was compromised. Which - he will do.

Point 7. The Second Vote - As directed by the US Federal constitution - a challenged election is settled by a simple majority house vote by ballot. However, the house gets one vote per state not per representative - Giving Trump the Republican majority 26-23 (or 22). Winner takes all.

This is why I'm confident that President Trump will remain President.

And that is Good News.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kent350787

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:35 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Point 6. The Election Rejection - On January 6th Congress will convene to count the electoral votes. At this time the sitting VP, Mike Pence, has the ability to challenge by refusing to accept the votes from states in which he believes the vote was compromised. Which - he will do.

I can't see how Americans who belive in the rule of law could view such an action by Pence as anything other than the true makings of a coup. Given that all evidence presnted so far to courts at all levels alleging fraud have been rejection, such a ruling by Pence could only be m,ade as the result of delusion on his part or a planned action to seize control of the Presidenmcy over the will of the electors (and the people).

These must be truly scary times for US residents, with Covid just being the cream on the shit frappucino that is the Trump administration.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359