Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

meecrob

Re: Updated: Biden officially secures enough electors to become president

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:55 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
From a tweet 'How Trump Wins'

https://twitter.com/Eyconik/status/1338228261483110403?

Point 6. The Election Rejection - On January 6th Congress will convene to count the electoral votes. At this time the sitting VP, Mike Pence, has the ability to challenge by refusing to accept the votes from states in which he believes the vote was compromised. Which - he will do.

Point 7. The Second Vote - As directed by the US Federal constitution - a challenged election is settled by a simple majority house vote by ballot. However, the house gets one vote per state not per representative - Giving Trump the Republican majority 26-23 (or 22). Winner takes all.

This is why I'm confident that President Trump will remain President.

And that is Good News.

So you are basing this confidence in a tweet-chain that starts off by saying "This makes it all make sense!"? This is a personal anecdote, but in my life, whenever people say "This makes it all make sense!" either it doesn't make sense, they are high, or both. Anybody who makes sense will never have to say "This makes it all make sense!"

Tugger

Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:05 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Point 6. The Election Rejection - On January 6th Congress will convene to count the electoral votes. At this time the sitting VP, Mike Pence, has the ability to challenge by refusing to accept the votes from states in which he believes the vote was compromised. Which - he will do.

Point 7. The Second Vote - As directed by the US Federal constitution - a challenged election is settled by a simple majority house vote by ballot. However, the house gets one vote per state not per representative - Giving Trump the Republican majority 26-23 (or 22). Winner takes all.

And that is Good News.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well that's all the Republican's have left: false hope, fake news. They are their own catch phrase. How worthless and weak. A. Pence will not do that. B. if he does, the House will still settle with Biden as President as not all Republican's are culty, treasonous traitors. (In my opinion, let me be clear on that.)

In other news, Republican Representative Adam Kinzinger calls Trump unmanly:
I want to be clear: the Supreme Court is not the deep state. The case had no merit and was dispatched 9-0. There was no win here. Complaining and bellyaching is not a manly trait, it’s actually sad. Real men accept a loss with grace.

https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status ... 8739000320

Slowly the honest (if sadly weak at this point) Republican's will become more vocal. The war in the party is just starting and Trump's goal is to tear it apart (since he couldn't break the USA completely).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

winginit

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

And that is Good News.

This is genuinely comical. In the hypothetical there that you've drafted that, by the way, will never, ever happen, what Mike Pence 'believes' would be entirely irrelevant. It would be one thing if any sort of meaningful voter fraud had been proven in any court of law, yet here he are with even hyper conservative judges throwing out these pitiful Trump campaign lawsuits left and right.

It's over. It's been over since Election Day.

Aaron747

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:07 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Congressional procedures and points of order function similarly to court proceedings. Steps that large are not taken on the basis of ‘belief’, especially when the ‘compromised vote’ has been rejected out of hand in courts of multiple jurisdictions.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Francoflier

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:09 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

And that is Good News.

A fascinating insight into the mind of those who live in a distorted reality where facts have been replaced with convictions, beliefs and blind faith. The story of Trump, or how to turn a political party into a cult...

BTW, where is the fraud that the public was 'allowed to see' in point 3? We're all still waiting for that evidence.

Although you do bring an interesting point. Will Pence actually drop every last morsel of integrity he has (if he has any left), do as ordered by his boss and go down in flames with the ship, or will he suddenly find where Trump hid his backbone and do the right thing?

The sinking of the SS GOP is a sad but spectacular sight.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

bgm

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

And that is Good News.

Gramps, you're drunk. Go home.

Aaron747

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:20 am

Meanwhile, how many drugs is Don Jr on as he continues to 'fight' the election?

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 58784?s=20
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:11 am

FGITD wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Fully agreed. And this is where I take issue with how much of US politics operate.

The president himself could go on TV and talk about how we really need to start a genocide, and then once he’s out of office the story will shift to how we “must forgive and come together to move forward as one nation”

Exaggerated example, of course...but I’m sick of politics being a zero repercussion game on the basis of “they were just doing what they thought was right.”

We’ve already seen the exact path this leads to with trumps various comments over the years. It’s the same cycle:

He didn’t say that
He didn’t mean it like that
He wasn’t being serious
He was making a joke
He didn’t say that

When networks called Biden winner, moderate Republicans were out in force saying "we need to work together" and "we need to come together" and so forth. That is a load of horse pucky if every I heard one. After four years of silence or "I stand with my party" Republicans now want bipartisanship. They must be called out for what they are and Democrats must not at all work with them. Leave them out in the cold. Just like Republicans did. Give it right back to them. I have posted this before but it is worth posting every time any Republican ever says "we need to work together"

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/06/26/so ... 3rgqOQQ1DQ

I’m not a fan of that type of on/off bipartisanship, but my post was more in reference to the fact that we let many politicians commit literal crimes...then walk away as if nothing happened.

It’s one area where I think the French have it right. Politicians should not fear taking some risks and making strong moves for the better of their population...but they should absolutely live in fear that if they go against the will of the people, they'll be run out of town.

These are a couple of problems with the American system:

1) Term limits. Everyone wants them, no one can pass them. No voters want career politicians. We keep voting for them because "s/he is a terrible elected official but s/he has done such great things for us in our district/state!" Everyone believes career politicians are someone else's problem. The voters of Kentucky believe their two Senators are the greatest but the other 98 need to go and the voters in CA-12 (Pelosi) think their Representative is great but the other 434 need to go.

2) The media. We all know what the right believes. We are forced to hear it all the time. At the same time, we know what the left believes but, at the same time, many believe they are lies. I don't know how to fix that. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine? Break up monopolies in media? But, the very wealthy will cry about "free speech" even though they will still be able to speak freely. Critical thinking in public schools? That is called "indoctrination" by the right. Something needs to be done to allow both sides to be heard without the hate and vitriol and bullying being done by not who you think...

If anyone has been in an abusive relationship, this is it. We have to let them go. I think we have to let them secede and have FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, LA, AR, TX and let them do whatever there. Build a big, solid wall and just let them go at it. Let them worship the blond, blue eye, English speaking Jesus and let them believe their orange MAGA leader is his second coming. Let them say whatever, be whoever. Be their own selves. Just go. Let American patriots live our lives and you MAGA followers live yours.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:14 am

Speaking of right wing media: they keep whining and screaming about how they know and have all this proof of a stolen election. Well? Where is it? Show us. If this is fact and proof, show us. Let us see it. If it is so easily proven, show us. This happened, right? Facts. Proof. Show us the fraudulent votes. Show us. It is so easily proven, so proof. Or it didn't happen.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

scbriml

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:30 am

seb146 wrote:
Speaking of right wing media: they keep whining and screaming about how they know and have all this proof of a stolen election. Well? Where is it? Show us. If this is fact and proof, show us. Let us see it. If it is so easily proven, show us. This happened, right? Facts. Proof. Show us the fraudulent votes. Show us. It is so easily proven, so proof. Or it didn't happen.

When challenged, the response of the cultists is:

“Everyone knows it.” or “They have thousands of signed affidavits proving fraud.” or “There’s a mountain of evidence.” or even “Do your own research.” (a favourite for any conspiracist).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scbriml

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:36 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
At this time the sitting VP, Mike Pence, has the ability to challenge by refusing to accept the votes from states in which he believes the vote was compromised. Which - he will do.

1) Pence doesn’t have the balls.
2) If he did suddenly grow a pair, as Johnboy pointed out, any objection has to be approved by both houses and could backfire spectacularly.
3) As each avenue turns out to be a dead-end, the desperation levels are going off the chart.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

flyingturtle

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:38 am

scbriml wrote:
or even “Do your own research.” (a favourite for any conspiracist).

How I absolutely, viscerally, hate that. When I google "5G health risks", I usually land on some wingnut dingnut dampnut website peddling bullshit. Going for "electromagnetic radiation health hazards review" usually gives me a scientific paper.

"Do your own research" or "google it" is self-perpetuating stupidity. "Google it" should be reserved for pranks like lemon party...
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

tommy1808

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am

flyingturtle wrote:
scbriml wrote:
or even “Do your own research.” (a favourite for any conspiracist).

How I absolutely, viscerally, hate that. When I google "5G health risks", I usually land on some wingnut dingnut dampnut website peddling bullshit. Going for "electromagnetic radiation health hazards review" usually gives me a scientific paper.

"Do your own research" or "google it" is self-perpetuating stupidity. "Google it" should be reserved for pranks like lemon party...

especially frustrating when asking for their evidence, that they researched "themselves", only getting someone saying on Twitter this or that happened as a source back, or a link to a website that only references itself ....

The funnest part right now however is that the same people claiming the first Amendment is violated by private companies deciding what is and what isn´t ok to post on their platform, are currently busy demanding Fox News Hosts to be arrested for saying stuff on TV they don´t like. I wonder what the "Comey crime family", the "Obama crime Family" or the "Clinton Crime Family" think about that approach.....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aaron747

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 am

scbriml wrote:
seb146 wrote:

“Everyone knows it.” or “They have thousands of signed affidavits proving fraud.” or “There’s a mountain of evidence.” or even “Do your own research.” (a favourite for any conspiracist).

The signed affidavits part is my favorite - as if that's somehow legally binding. A signed affidavit without accompanying documentation of exactly what happened is just a story with a signature. The courts need to be able to verify what is claimed, they seem to think just saying it enough will convince a judge somewhere with 'courage' :lol:

tommy1808

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 am

Aaron747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The signed affidavits part is my favorite - as if that's somehow legally binding. A signed affidavit without accompanying documentation of exactly what happened is just a story with a signature. The courts need to be able to verify what is claimed, they seem to think just saying it enough will convince a judge somewhere with 'courage' :lol:

not to mention that Trumps own lawyers call those lies and spam.....

"A van was coming. It was supposed to bring food. Then there was food. I din´t see them unload the food from that van." = election fraud.

Solid logic.

best regards
Thomas

bennett123

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am

Putin/Xi must think that Christmas came early.

casinterest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:12 pm

So now they are sending in Terrorist threats to Michigan.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1338330655554465792
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

petertenthije

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
Critical thinking in public schools? That is called "indoctrination" by the right.
That should tell you all there is to know. Critical thinking is the opposite from indoctrination.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

tommy1808

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm

petertenthije wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Critical thinking in public schools? That is called "indoctrination" by the right.
That should tell you all there is to know. Critical thinking is the opposite from indoctrination.

That is why they hate it. You indoctrinate your kids for years that humans where specially created, earth is 6000 years old and Noah´s flood happened .... and then they learn critical thinking and challenge that nonsense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/an ... _blog.html

TX GOP wrote:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:45 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That is why they hate it. You indoctrinate your kids for years that humans where specially created, earth is 6000 years old and Noah´s flood happened .... and then they learn critical thinking and challenge that nonsense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/an ... _blog.html

TX GOP wrote:
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

best regards
Thomas

Welcome to the USA. Parents do not like having kids better of than them in some parts of the country.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

casinterest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm

And now the official Elector votes. Usually anticlimatic, but for those Trump supporters out there, a moment of anticipation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/politics ... index.html

So far, Tennessee 11 for Trump/Pence
Vermont 3 for Biden/Harris

tommy1808

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
And now the official Elector votes. Usually anticlimatic, but for those Trump supporters out there, a moment of anticipation.

Will there be a 2nd coming of "first I was leading, and then they dumbed votes" tweet storms followed by someone explaining the chance of that happening is 1:1 quadrillion?

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:51 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Will there be a 2nd coming of "first I was leading, and then they dumbed votes" tweet storms followed by someone explaining the chance of that happening is 1:1 quadrillion?

Best regards
Thomas

Nah

According to Trump's speechwriter. There will be "Alternate Electors". Just like the Alternative facts that are always coming from the White House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... alive-post

You can't make up how treasonous and AntiAmerican this Trump administration is.

luckyone

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Nah

According to Trump's speechwriter. There will be "Alternate Electors". Just like the Alternative facts that are always coming from the White House.

Anything to keep the headline$. We should expect more of this ridiculum in the coming weeks now that the legal challenges don't look like they've been effective. But yes, at some point President Trump and his cadre of goons should be held accountable for anything their midnless followers do.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:14 pm

luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Nah

Anything to keep the headline$. We should expect more of this ridiculum in the coming weeks now that the legal challenges don't look like they've been effective. But yes, at some point President Trump and his cadre of goons should be held accountable for anything their midnless followers do.

Isn't impersonating an public/elected official kinda illegal?

Best regards
Thomas

ER757

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:30 pm

scbriml wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Oh my favorite is how it's all being done by "Deep State." That priceless gem pops up over and over in the warped minds of those brainwashed by The Donald and his minions. Hell, even the Supreme Court (including members HE appointed) are now in on it.....the hilarity continues

alfa164

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:31 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Putin/Xi must think that Christmas came early.

... and that is a sad commentary on the state of divisiveness and rancor in American politics today - driven, in large measure, by Trump himself. William Selatan has an incisive article in Slate about it:

Trump Is Finishing Russia’s Smear Campaign Against America

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... tions.html
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

luckyone

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:33 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Nah

Isn't impersonating an public/elected official kinda illegal?

Best regards
Thomas

Many things going on here are toeing the line of illegal. I ultimately expect in the coming months we'll see a few people sanctioned or charged. Not many, and it will most likely be a nameless nobody lawyer.

I'd be curious to see what happens to Jenna Ellis' legal career. Unlike Giuliani who hasn't been actually practicing law in decades, and Powell who could retire tomorrow if she hasn't already, Ms. Ellis is young and has a lot of years left in her career. She hasn't actually argued any of these cases and she's made a fool out of herself, IMHO, and outside of "consulting" work for hyper partisan issues, I don't know what credible legal professional direction she takes.

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:47 pm

casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Nah

The only cure for this cancer is to send them all to court and then jail. This is an attempted Coup d'état in plain site
and if authorities won't act on this the cancer will continue to grow until it consumes the entire body.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

luckyone

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Wisconsin Supreme Court says that Trump's cheese is moldy, and rejects his case:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/pol ... 529642002/

DocLightning

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

To reject the election takes a majority vote of both houses...a matter that must be fixed. But at least this time it will not turn out that way.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:42 pm

DocLightning wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

To reject the election takes a majority vote of both houses...a matter that must be fixed. But at least this time it will not turn out that way.

Additionally, the state count is 25-25, not the numbers clearly falsified here. I would guess such a farce would be yet one more attempt to de-legitimize DC voters, as that also goes to Biden. I guess I should not be surprised that they cannot get their shit straight when they are lying either.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

alfa164

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:00 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Additionally, the state count is 25-25, not the numbers clearly falsified here. I would guess such a farce would be yet one more attempt to de-legitimize DC voters, as that also goes to Biden. I guess I should not be surprised that they cannot get their shit straight when they are lying either.

Lying is a habit they have mastered... as taught by their cult leader...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LittleFokker

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 pm

https://www.vox.com/22173990/electoral- ... hen-miller

In another act of treason by these deplorable hooligans, the EC Trump electors of key battleground states decided to have an alternate Electoral College vote and send their Trump votes to Washington in some desperate attempt to think that these votes will be legally recognized.

Why even bother having a sedition law on the books if none of these assholes are going to get charged with it?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

astuteman

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:38 pm

With the California Electoral College votes now in, it goes as originally called, back on Nov 3rd.
Biden 302 and Trump 232 with only Hawaii left to vote

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/14/poli ... index.html

Rgds

phatfarmlines

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:41 pm

astuteman wrote:
With the California Electoral College votes now in, it goes as originally called, back on Nov 3rd.
Biden 302 and Trump 232 with only Hawaii left to vote

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/14/poli ... index.html

Rgds

Nice to see there aren't any faithless electors this time around. That was a worry of mine. Though I expect VP Pence will be pressured to not accept the Electoral College results come January 6th.

But now we're being disrupted by "alternate" electors. The guy ought to take his blood pressure medicine and just retire to Mar-A-Lago.

casinterest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Wow, look like Biden won again, Barr resigned, and the Right wing Anti American contingent will continue their grief into January.

winginit

Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:39 am

casinterest wrote:
Wow, look like Biden won again, Barr resigned, and the Right wing Anti American contingent will continue their grief into January.

They must be so tired of winning!

einsteinboricua

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:10 am

LittleFokker wrote:
In another act of treason by these deplorable hooligans, the EC Trump electors of key battleground states decided to have an alternate Electoral College vote and send their Trump votes to Washington in some desperate attempt to think that these votes will be legally recognized.

The funny thing is that they quote the events of 1876 (where electors from OR, SC, FL, and LA were in conflict) and Congress didn't know what to do; of course, that was the Corrupt Bargain: Democrats accepted the Republican electors and in exchange, demanded that federal troops depart the Reconstruction states.

What they conveniently leave out is that, as a result of the event, the Electoral Count Act of 1877 was passed and has remained the standard for the electors and their votes to Congress. So unless the law is somehow found unconstitutional (and it hasn't yet), the electoral votes that Congress is required to accept are those submitted under the "safe harbor" period.

phatfarmlines wrote:
Though I expect VP Pence will be pressured to not accept the Electoral College results come January 6th.

He has no power, according to the Electoral Count Act of 1877. Even though he's President of the Senate and even though he's presiding over this Joint Session, the ECA effectively reduces him to the role of a moderator whose only duties are to open and tally EACH certificate received in good standing and maintain order. Should an objection arise, his role as president of the session is stopped while each chamber debates, and, unless the Senate is headed towards a deadlock, his role in the Senate is likely moot.

But this underscores the uselessness of the electoral college. Suppose we have a situation like Poland or Hungary, where Republicans control the courts and have overwhelming majorities in Congress...imagine if Pence decided to unilaterally not count the Biden votes or decided to accept the GOP slates for the contested states instead. Worse...imagine if both the House and Senate convened and voted to reject or overturn the results.

A popular vote would be harder to overturn; an electoral college vote? The only thing preventing a Trump victory from the House is that the House will have a narrow Democrat majority; even though 126 GOP Reps signed on to TX's lawsuit, I can only guess whether the rest of the caucus would have supported it if it had gone through.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 am

It seems that even many republican senators now finally seems to realize that it's time to accept that it's over, except Moscow Mitch.....
Its just a pity that they didn't speak up earlier though.

Support for President Trump’s attempt to overturn his election loss began to collapse in the Senate on Monday after the Electoral College certified President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory, with many top Republicans saying the time had come to recognize results that have been evident for weeks.

While they insisted that Mr. Trump could still challenge the results in court, the senators said the certification should be considered the effective conclusion of an election that has fiercely divided the country. And after weeks of silence as Mr. Trump and others in their party sought to overturn the results in increasingly extreme ways, some urged their colleagues to move on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/us/p ... llege.html
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

cpd

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:15 am

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
It seems that even many republican senators now finally seems to realize that it's time to accept that it's over, except Moscow Mitch.....

Support for President Trump’s attempt to overturn his election loss began to collapse in the Senate on Monday after the Electoral College certified President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory, with many top Republicans saying the time had come to recognize results that have been evident for weeks.

While they insisted that Mr. Trump could still challenge the results in court, the senators said the certification should be considered the effective conclusion of an election that has fiercely divided the country. And after weeks of silence as Mr. Trump and others in their party sought to overturn the results in increasingly extreme ways, some urged their colleagues to move on.

If Biden can get the support of enough Republicans then the hold-outs can effectively be sidelined.

luckyone

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:41 am

cpd wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

If Biden can get the support of enough Republicans then the hold-outs can effectively be sidelined.

In addition to the outgoing Lamar Alexander, who can say whatever he wants as he’s done in a few weeks, Romney, Murkowski, Sasse, and I want to say Susan Collins and Portman from Ohio were early on stating that Biden had won. Just three of them would kill any GOP Senate maneuvers. None of them is particularly surprising. Romney and Sasse have been outspoken Trump critics. Collins and Murkowski have electorates that aren’t strongly aligned with what is currently considered the Trump base—both Alaska and Maine being resource extraction intensive economies that aren’t impacted by globalization in the same way as the manufacturing economies elsewhere. Even though Ohio went big for Trump this year, politically it is still on the moderate side as it has multiple political and economic centers that are similar in size but rather distinct from each other and statewide elections have to meet in the middle— its last two governors reflect that more moderate stance.

It’s also unsurprising that it would be Senators who would be the ones to speak up because 1. They’re not staring down the barrel of the electoral gun in less than two years, meaning that they have time on their side, and 2. They don’t answer to gerrymandered districts but an entire state, and if that state isn’t solidly bent politically, they have to swing to the middle a bit. To that end it’s going to be interesting to see if the Senators from Georgia move to the middle in the coming years. I expect both seats to remain GOP this round but the next cycle I’m guessing will split.

apodino

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:18 am

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

I think Mitch knows and actually secretly wants Trump gone. The reason he has taken different actions publicly is because if he loses the base, he loses his position as Majority Leader and that is the one thing that matters to him more than anything else.

seb146 wrote:

I have been pointing this out to deniers for weeks and they still insist and truly believe that there was funny business going on. The best excuse I got was they have all this proof but the courts are refusing to look at the evidence. And its truly sad because the people I know making these claims are so much better than this.

seb146 wrote:
1) Term limits. Everyone wants them, no one can pass them. No voters want career politicians. We keep voting for them because "s/he is a terrible elected official but s/he has done such great things for us in our district/state!" Everyone believes career politicians are someone else's problem. The voters of Kentucky believe their two Senators are the greatest but the other 98 need to go and the voters in CA-12 (Pelosi) think their Representative is great but the other 434 need to go.

2) The media. We all know what the right believes. We are forced to hear it all the time. At the same time, we know what the left believes but, at the same time, many believe they are lies. I don't know how to fix that. Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine? Break up monopolies in media? But, the very wealthy will cry about "free speech" even though they will still be able to speak freely. Critical thinking in public schools? That is called "indoctrination" by the right. Something needs to be done to allow both sides to be heard without the hate and vitriol and bullying being done by not who you think...

You are right that everyone wants Term Limits. When Gingrich and the GOP took over congress in 1994, Term Limits was part of their contract with American. It passed both houses, but Bill Clinton vetoed the bill, and most of the opposition to the bill came from Democrats. To me what is needed is a way for Politicians to be afraid of losing power. If there is no chance of them losing power, there is no incentive for them to do anything. I know every House seat is up every two years. But when you draw districts in a way that favors one party, unless you can primary that person, which has happened more regularly lately but is still very rare, they are basically guaranteed to hold their seat until they wish to retire. I get the CA-12, and the problem with that district is its Liberal but not progressive as the district is loaded with six figure income earners who really are not that interested in M4A or things like that because they already have theirs, and all these people by the way are major donors to Pelosi's campaign.

As for the Media, you are already seeing a growing segment of podcasters and web based news agencies who people are turning to more and more because of a lack of trust in the Media. Between MSNBC blatantly gaslighting for the Democratic Establishment and actually having their anchors consistently insult progressives to their face, and Foxnews with an obvious rightward tilt, and CNN basically a safe house for the Cuomo family to go, it is obvious there is a lack of honest journalism. The Rising with Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti has grown significantly in recent months as a counter to this, the Intercept is breaking tons of stories that in the past would have been broken by the New York Times, and a growing podcast segment is becoming increasingly influential. I rarely turn into cable news anymore because I know I wont get the truth from any of them. Yes you can change the fairness doctrine or break up monopolies in media, but the best way to affect change is to simply not watch these outlets and go to different sources. A great example. Not one mainstream media source reported on how Dem House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richie Neal used a blatantly homophobic smear to quash a progressive primary challenger. No Democrat should ever be associated with anything homophobic, but when the establishment was challenged, this is exactly how they quashed him. BTW, during this lame duck session, Richie Neal killed a democratic provision to prevent surprise medical billing from hurting the working folks. This is not the first time he has done this, and he has never been called out for it.

c933103

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:05 am

LittleFokker wrote:
https://www.vox.com/22173990/electoral-college-trump-biden-stephen-miller

Why even bother having a sedition law on the books if none of these assholes are going to get charged with it?

IIRC when last time the US Congress have to decide an election it was also due to states couldn't agree on which set of electors being actually representative
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

tommy1808

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 am

c933103 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

IIRC when last time the US Congress have to decide an election it was also due to states couldn't agree on which set of electors being actually representative

with "they couldn´t agree" meaning the election outcome wasn´t clear yet", because the difference was ~100 votes and the recount not completed yet. Very different set of circumstances.

best regards
Thomas

c933103

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:56 am

tommy1808 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

with "they couldn´t agree" meaning the election outcome wasn´t clear yet", because the difference was ~100 votes and the recount not completed yet. Very different set of circumstances.

best regards
Thomas

Indeed, but if all the Reoublicans in state legislation and Congress agreed to the same "alternative" idea of reality, then procedurally they can turn this alternative into real regardless of how much votes they're actually losing. Obviously this will be severely damage many different aspect of the coumtry, the political system, the party, and many other things, but they're still capable of doing so.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

astuteman

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:28 am

c933103 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

From what I can see, this time, in every case, in every state, the governors, and state legislatures have agreed on the set of electors - any alternatives would and could not be agreed by the states.

Rgds

astuteman

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:30 am

And just to close one of the circles.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... d=msedgntp

Vladimir Putin congratulates Joe Biden on his presidential election win and calls for ‘Russian-American cooperation’

Rgds

Francoflier

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:50 pm

astuteman wrote:

Vladimir Putin congratulates Joe Biden on his presidential election win and calls for ‘Russian-American cooperation’

Rgds

Well, if the dozens and dozens of failed lawsuits, the SC slaps in the face, the multiple recounts, the EC votes certification, the failed political coercion and the 7 million popular votes difference haven't managed to convince Trump yet, maybe his mentor and idol in the Kremlin acknowledging his loss might finally trigger a hint of realism in his deranged mind?

On second thought, probably not...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:06 pm

Francoflier wrote:
astuteman wrote:

Rgds

Well, if the dozens and dozens of failed lawsuits, the SC slaps in the face, the multiple recounts, the EC votes certification, the failed political coercion and the 7 million popular votes difference haven't managed to convince Trump yet, maybe his mentor and idol in the Kremlin acknowledging his loss might finally trigger a hint of realism in his deranged mind?

On second thought, probably not...

Trump getting elected was just incidental*, dividing the US was the goal ... and that worked splendidly.

best regards Thomas

*iirc the GRU shifted from trying to get Trump elected to poisoning the Clinton Presidency some time in October, so they didn´t even believe he´d win either.