We know there are too many breakthrough infections. It isn't just to keep the person getting the 3rd jab out of the hospital, but to slow the spread better. We have enough data to know the vaccinated are getting sick. I feel the science is there.
We're not going to magically vaccinate the other half who won't take the vaccine (or in the case of my younger child, are not allowed).
I like good hard data. One hospital 5 of the 107 patients in the hospital are vaccinated. https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... NewsSearch
17 of 20 (85%) of Oregonians were unvaccinated:https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2021/0 ... accinated/
We can agree it would be better to vaccinate more people. That isn't happening. We know our case rate is high and Israel's is even higher:https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/co ... rmed+cases
We need to do both. Unfortunately, it is going to take mandates. Since many won't adult and vaccinate, we must take added precautions to keep the virus out of our homes. Vaccines have been easy to get since mid-April (by my 2nd dose, the lines were nothing, my first dose was still a rush to get vaccines).
It is 4 months people could have done the responsible thing and gotten vaccinated. Instead, they have become more hardline in avoiding a vaccine.
So to protect ourselves we need to:
1. Increase outreach campaigns. Pop up vaccination centers are working well in France:https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article253539299.html
2. France showed us harsh mandates work. France was on the decline in vaccines and spiked up the vaccines with their passport system, it is clear in the daily vaccination rate:https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/dail ... A~OWID_WRL
3. Cost for the decision. Insurance companies were waiving fees for coronavirus, that is starting to end: https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/m ... d-19-costs
I've used up my articles, but this link looks to have more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... ions-soar/
Since we have vaccines, why not 3rd jab? We're not going to succeed getting the unvaccinated rapidly vaccinated.
What we can do:
1. The government and military mandates will get millions vaccinated.
2. I think all air travel, except for patients in medical transport, should require vaccination. Including private jets, private aircraft. This will slow the spread. Now, we have a constitutional right to interstate trade, so they can go by road.
But since the risk is elevated, I need something to make it less likely my too young to be vaccinated child has less risk. All that is certain is every adult she encounters has a 3rd jab.
I admit it, I am mentally/emotionally giving up on the unvaccinated.
Since I had coronavirus, I'm sad that the virus reduces fertility in men. This might have a long term plus... https://www.wionews.com/world/coronavir ... udy-359981
the mRNA vaccines do not harm male fertility: https://www.jpost.com/health-science/co ... udy-671506