Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

extender

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine News and Discussion Thread

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm

casinterest wrote:

It doesn't violate mandates because sports athletes in some cases get a pass. My post is from today's ESPN. You just looked that up.

casinterest wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32096719/nba-calls-covid-19-vaccination-most-staff-2021-22-season

This is for staff, not players. Today's article is the players' requirement to be vaccinated.

casinterest

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:40 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It doesn't violate mandates because sports athletes in some cases get a pass. My post is from today's ESPN. You just looked that up.

casinterest wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32096719/nba-calls-covid-19-vaccination-most-staff-2021-22-season

This is for staff, not players. Today's article is the players' requirement to be vaccinated.

You are the one making a big deal about some right wing crossover. I am pointing out that over 85% are vaccinated, and that in a lot of cases local rules will help bring it closer to 100%.

avier

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Israel is continuing to see record high covid19 cases with about 10K cases being reported everyday with positive test rates climbing , despite having one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/health-mi ... d-heights/

Dieuwer

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Cases mean nothing. Only hospitalizations do.

Toenga

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:58 pm

par13del wrote:
Dupli wrote:
For the moment, the countries pursuing zero COVID are still doing the best job of protecting there population from harm and at the same time allowing their populations most freedom.
That might change, but I don't think the current knowledge about COVID and the current vaccines warrant such a change.

In time we will find out how much protection can be provided against the financial damage that countries and their citizens will endure in the years ahead.
Priority at this time is physical protection, which is voluntary for most - those without vaccines and hesitancy -, as long as folks buy in they will continue to endure the restrictions, unfortunately, a number are opting for not following protocols and no vaccines, so plan C is the open question.

I don't think any country is intending to pursue elimination "for ever" in fact even elimination beyond the immediate very short term just while they get their vaccination rates up as high as possible. Probably within the next six months. That appears to be the prevailing view even in NZ which is currently desperately trying to reestablish elimination.
It looks like even with maximum attainable vaccination rates, given that vaccines for children have not yet been universally approved covid outbreaks will not be self extinguishing. So no herd immunity. Covid will be endemic around the world. So I think travellers can reasonably expect ongoing and evolving biosecurity border controls to limit cross border transmission, as a minimum, proof of vaccination. With additional requirements, such as pre departure testing, and even perhaps temporary prohibitions from travellers from areas currently suffering from larger outbreaks, covid hot spots. Just as we have had in the past for travel from areas suffering from Ebola transmission. Local outbreaks can still be expected and may require short term imposition of public health interventions such as mask wearing, and even gathering size limits, to stay within the capacity of the local health services. I think it is actually foolhardy to promise no more lockdowns . They are are undoubtedly a very blunt instrument, with huge collateral damage but they are the most powerful tool for suppressing large outbreaks. But any lockdowns may well be more targetted, restricted to just some schools or hospitals or defined geographical areas. So international travel has just acquired another risk, and perhaps cost to be considered and perhaps insured against.

Kent350787

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Toenga wrote:
par13del wrote:
Dupli wrote:
For the moment, the countries pursuing zero COVID are still doing the best job of protecting there population from harm and at the same time allowing their populations most freedom.
That might change, but I don't think the current knowledge about COVID and the current vaccines warrant such a change.

In time we will find out how much protection can be provided against the financial damage that countries and their citizens will endure in the years ahead.
Priority at this time is physical protection, which is voluntary for most - those without vaccines and hesitancy -, as long as folks buy in they will continue to endure the restrictions, unfortunately, a number are opting for not following protocols and no vaccines, so plan C is the open question.

I don't think any country is intending to pursue elimination "for ever" in fact even elimination beyond the immediate very short term just while they get their vaccination rates up as high as possible. Probably within the next six months. That appears to be the prevailing view even in NZ which is currently desperately trying to reestablish elimination.
It looks like even with maximum attainable vaccination rates, given that vaccines for children have not yet been universally approved covid outbreaks will not be self extinguishing. So no herd immunity. Covid will be endemic around the world. So I think travellers can reasonably expect ongoing and evolving biosecurity border controls to limit cross border transmission, as a minimum, proof of vaccination. With additional requirements, such as pre departure testing, and even perhaps temporary prohibitions from travellers from areas currently suffering from larger outbreaks, covid hot spots. Just as we have had in the past for travel from areas suffering from Ebola transmission. Local outbreaks can still be expected and may require short term imposition of public health interventions such as mask wearing, and even gathering size limits, to stay within the capacity of the local health services. I think it is actually foolhardy to promise no more lockdowns . They are are undoubtedly a very blunt instrument, with huge collateral damage but they are the most powerful tool for suppressing large outbreaks. But any lockdowns may well be more targetted, restricted to just some schools or hospitals or defined geographical areas. So international travel has just acquired another risk, and perhaps cost to be considered and perhaps insured against.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I do think the herd immunity question will need to be observed in practice rather than traditional theory, as the evidence aroud infection and transmission in children is evolving. I will be happier once both my boys (18 and 13) have had their second vaccnation.

I'm very pleased that the Reff in the current NSW outbreak dropped to 0.88 yesterday, and we are seeing a decline in daily case numbers. I hope there are further targeted measures in disadvantaged "communities" that are continuing to see outbreaks (public housing estates and homeless people are seeing case growth outside otherwise impacted suburbs)

It will be very interesting to see the outcome of easing restrictions for the vaccinated, and logically increasing movement and contact, at the same time as having thousands of active cases.

casinterest

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 pm

avier wrote:
Israel is continuing to see record high covid19 cases with about 10K cases being reported everyday with positive test rates climbing , despite having one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.

I ran the 7 day average for IL and the US from Worldometer.

The death rate is ~1/300th of their new cases. ~8000 new cases a day with 25 deaths a day

In the US, we are currently running at close to a 1/100 ratio. about 3 times higher ~1300 deaths a day and 150,000 new cases a day

Vaccinations matter.

lightsaber

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:10 am

casinterest wrote:
avier wrote:

The death rate is ~1/300th of their new cases. ~8000 new cases a day with 25 deaths a day

In the US, we are currently running at close to a 1/100 ratio. about 3 times higher ~1300 deaths a day and 150,000 new cases a day

Vaccinations matter.

Thank you for that analysis. Ourworldindata also has hospitalizations:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

My relative who works in a coronavirus ward has been reviewing the data. The opinion is very effective in elderly and vulnerable, maybe not so needed in younger (that surprised me). This relative received Pfizer, but the place of work only now does Moderna (demand isn't high enough to stock multiple vaccines, even though they are the regional distribution center). So the staff can only get a Moderna booster. Since they work a coronavirus ward, my relative gets a booster this coming week. The relative debated and it all about not transferring the virus strains between patients, so a booster for their safety.

Lightsaber

Kent350787

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:16 am

casinterest wrote:
avier wrote:

Vaccinations matter.

In Australia, the average number of new cases is more that triple that of last years' major outbreak, yet deaths are half the peak of that outbreak (admittedly deaths lag cases so it may still grow). Positive test rates are falling in both NSW and Victoria, as vaccination rates are climbing (both states have passed 70% first dose, NSW close to 50% fully vaccinated). 1702 average new cases, deaths 8. Fewer than 10% of active cases are hospitalised, although the small number of deaths of people under home care has surprised.

Vaccination and movement/gathering controls can help fight Delta outbreaks.

lightsaber

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:03 am

Los Angeles county to require proof of vaccination for bars and nightclubs (but not alcohol serving restaurants):
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/los-a ... uxbndlbing

I am personally an advocate of this.

Lightsaber

Toenga

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 am

Kent350787 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
avier wrote:

Vaccinations matter.

In Australia, the average number of new cases is more that triple that of last years' major outbreak, yet deaths are half the peak of that outbreak (admittedly deaths lag cases so it may still grow). Positive test rates are falling in both NSW and Victoria, as vaccination rates are climbing (both states have passed 70% first dose, NSW close to 50% fully vaccinated). 1702 average new cases, deaths 8. Fewer than 10% of active cases are hospitalised, although the small number of deaths of people under home care has surprised.

And in NZ our current outbreak had grown rapidly for more then a week within a very largely unvaccinated population enjoying themselves free of any controls before the first detection.
In spite of entering a very stringent lockdown on only one case, the outbreak quickly recorded 80plus daily cases and now is just nudging a total of 1000 cases, but only one death to date. Today 13 cases recorded and now only about 500 active cases. Like Australia it sure did propel the vaccination rate up, now almost identical with Australia. 71% of entire population over 11 now first dosed. Expected that Auckland where the outbreak is currently confined will get to 80% first dosed by the end of this week.
Sorry percentages of eligible population, those 12 and over.

tommy1808

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am

casinterest wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Denmark is at about the 75% of the population vaccinated, and that seems to be enough to allow the entire economy to function - hospitals, work, entertainment, schools.
https://time.com/6096807/denmark-covid-19/

That is awesome. If only we didn't have so many right wing misinformed people in this country, we might get close to that. Alas, probably not anytime soon.
Here in the USA, we are still dragging.

Most German states have decided they are done waiting for the unvaccinated and embrace 2G, "geimpft und genesen"(vaccinated and recovered) for places where people stay in proximity.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/germ ... vaccinated

Best regards
Thomas

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 am

Due to the inability of members to remain civil in the discussions, this topic is being locked for a few days till a clean up is done

Any attempt to open a new topic will result in the deletion and either a warning or ban