Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
CometII
Topic Author
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Much is being talked about in recent days about the fact that the incoming president has not had access as of yet to the same type of briefings and documents as the outgoing president. This topic is NOT to debate the merits or demerits of what the outgoing administration is doing in so far denying the POTUS-Elect access. My question is about the documents themselves. I'm curious about how much of the information within those documents is:

a) completely new and hitherto unknown to the incoming president, and
b) is there anything in those documents that would shock or even scare the incoming president?

I guess for the first part, I am wondering what percentage of the information in the classified briefings is new to a new president. 30%? 50% 80%? Could the information be so different from what he/she expected that it would alter the policy plans of the administration? For the second part, I guess I am wondering, is it a situation where the incoming president sees the classified stuff and goes "yawn", because it's just mainly boring facts and figures about who's who in the world and where everyone is? Or can it be something far more profound like "Mr President-Elect, the representatives on Earth of the aliens from Zeta Reticuli, Yavin 4, and Vulcan wish you good luck and continued good neighborly relations between Humans and Grays", where the new president is simply astounded at what he finds out the first time he gets access? Just curious what everyone thought.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:14 pm

CometII wrote:
a) completely new and hitherto unknown to the incoming president, and
b) is there anything in those documents that would shock or even scare the incoming president? .


Few people know what is really in the daily briefing these days*. But anything in a daily brief should be along the lines of latest update/progress report. Anything important "breaking" won´t wait for the next brief.
So probably no big revelations, but needed to smoothly take over operations by learning what is going on in the world, or in Bidens case its a recap of the episodes he missed.

best regards
Thomas

*but you can read through some old ones: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom ... aily-brief
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 pm

A smooth transition dictates that those that are taking over understand what has been occurring. It ensures that the how, why, who , when , and where are understood.

I am sure some of the items are "not interesting" for most, but they give updates from cabinet officials, and various federal agencies on current plans and agendas.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
cskok8
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Is the current president even listening to the daily brief?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19926
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:13 pm

cskok8 wrote:
Is the current president even listening to the daily brief?


I believe Trump attended a few after he won the 2016 election, but couldn’t understand what the adults were talking about, so never bothered again.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
cskok8 wrote:
Is the current president even listening to the daily brief?


I believe Trump attended a few after he won the 2016 election, but couldn’t understand what the adults were talking about, so never bothered again.


Xmas 2020 in some CIA employees household, when his kids open a present with used crayons "Yes, those are the crayons i used to draw the presidential daily brief".

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:04 pm

I think the "shock" factor would depend on what position the incoming president had before. In this case, Biden was a Senator and vice president, so he has an idea. In Obama's case, he was not a Senator for very long before he was elected, so many of the details in those briefs were probably overwhelming or even shocking. Being a governor of a border state, I don't think GWB was shocked by many of the details of the briefs he was given.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3746
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 pm

Don't forget Kamala Harris sits on the the Senate Justice, Intelligence, and Homeland Security committees. She would have access to the information contained as part of her Senator position.
 
bennett123
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Biden and Harris won, support to Trumps various legal appeals.

They need the full briefings now, not starting some time in January.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm

By default - the President is cleared for those briefings.

But as noted, not only was Harris cleared for her role in the Senate, Biden was previously cleared for his role as a Senator and VP.

a) completely new and hitherto unknown to the incoming president, and

b) is there anything in those documents that would shock or even scare the incoming president?


The way you framed the first question - if any of us knew anything along those lines, it would already be available to Biden. On a practical basis, I'm sure there will be some new things which Biden does not know - details, not generalities. This is not a dig on Trump, but Biden is much more aware of the world situation and such. He's been part of an administration. Trump was literally a new kid coming in the door for the first time. He wasn't dumb, but he did not have the overall framework for many of these things. It's a learning process.

Second question - maybe. Details, not generalities. He probably does not have the latest intel on the status of North Korea nuclear weapons, the current status of India and Pakistan weapons. The latest guesses on the situation in Iran. Some internal struggles going on in some countries.

=======

My understanding the Daily Briefing is an ongoing short session of what is the current situation, what has changed overnight.

A second set of briefings, alluded to above, is how the intel agencies bring a new president up to speed. These are likely a bit tedious and detailed.

One item would be something like protection of humint sources. Why the President should not know the name of the person on the Iranian military governing council who feeds information to the US. And factors about why that person is judged credible, or trying to trick the US. (A what if. I have no idea if we have a source so highly placed there, don't want to know if there is or is not.)

I do not know if these briefings include domestic intel, threat analysis or such. Maybe DHS and FBI do separate briefings, or are included.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10158
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 pm

Trump has obviously forgotten how the traditions work - how well did Obama's Admin perform in delivering information?. Were it what a normal person would expect, or did they act like ∑hits like Trump's have?

Is Trump just being a humiliated bum because he lost, or is he simply following Putin's instructions?
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5806
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:02 am

Wasn't that daily briefing distilled down to a single page with plenty of pictures and charts with pretty colors because Trump didn't have the attention span to read the full version with all those boring words?

Not that he reads that either...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3951
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:14 am

Francoflier wrote:
Wasn't that daily briefing distilled down to a single page with plenty of pictures and charts with pretty colors because Trump didn't have the attention span to read the full version with all those boring words? Not that he reads that either...


Reports are Trump has opted for a verbal "daily briefing" - and I am sure, with his inability to concentrate and desire to reduce things to their simplest terms, "brief" is the operational term there.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1602
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:52 am

The Obama Adm. took care to give as much information as possible for a smooth transition to the Trump Adm. especially since Trump never held a public office before. By numerous accounts Trump didn't use the information he was supplied with by the Obama Adm. Trump thought the information was tainted because he did not respect the government institute who was giving the daily briefings.

This is fact.

Luckily the Vice President elect Kamala Harris get the daily briefing because as a senator she sits on a committee that gets the daily briefings. According to numerous sources Trump doesn't read these briefing and expect his staff to brief him if they deem something important. This should be no surprise, to anybody since Trump has not be going to the daily coronavirus daily briefings as well. If he had, maybe he would spend less time golfing.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:58 am

bennett123 wrote:
They need the full briefings now, not starting some time in January.


that depends on the current admin having the best interesst of the nation in mind, or retaliation against the nation that didn´t vote for them again.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
A101
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 am

tommy1808 wrote:
CometII wrote:
a) completely new and hitherto unknown to the incoming president, and
b) is there anything in those documents that would shock or even scare the incoming president? .


Few people know what is really in the daily briefing these days*. But anything in a daily brief should be along the lines of latest update/progress report. Anything important "breaking" won´t wait for the next brief.
So probably no big revelations, but needed to smoothly take over operations by learning what is going on in the world, or in Bidens case its a recap of the episodes he missed.

best regards
Thomas

*but you can read through some old ones: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom ... aily-brief


I taken an interest in the daily breifings for JKF leading up to the missile crises in 62 and during, amazing that are still heavily sanitised after all this time
 
Sokes
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

tommy1808 wrote:
...
But you can read through some old ones: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom ... aily-brief

Great link, thank you.
I believe these briefs alone are useless. Somebody has to explain.
Or only topics are stated which were earlier already discussed with the president.

Who makes the policy?
The President or the guys who write these briefs?

During WW2 Churchill was travelling most of the time. He didn't trust diplomats. He wanted to discuss things himself.

How many days/ year are US Presidents abroad?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
A101
Posts: 2464
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:39 am

Sokes wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
...
But you can read through some old ones: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom ... aily-brief

Great link, thank you.
I believe these briefs alone are useless. Somebody has to explain.
Or only topics are stated which were earlier already discussed with the president.

Who makes the policy?
The President or the guys who write these briefs?

During WW2 Churchill was travelling most of the time. He didn't trust diplomats. He wanted to discuss things himself.

How many days/ year are US Presidents abroad?



Here ya go, don’t know how accurate it is by useful guide

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States
 
bennett123
Posts: 10813
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 am

Frankly amazed how much of the world that Trump never visited as President.

Africa
Australia
Russia
Most of South America

The list goes on.
 
Sokes
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 am

A101 wrote:
Here ya go, don’t know how accurate it is by useful guide

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States

Great link.

There is a stereotype about Americans:
"See Europe in three days. "

I only had a look at George W. Bush and Trump. Around 25 days travel per year doesn't sound adequate for the leader of the hegemon country.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
FGITD
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:47 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Frankly amazed how much of the world that Trump never visited as President.

Africa
Australia
Russia
Most of South America

The list goes on.


Can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve read that only 4 sitting presidents have ever visited every state in the country. If they can’t even bother to visit their own country, why would they go elsewhere?

Trump in particular seems to have had absolutely no interest in presidential travel to anywhere that he couldn’t get a bunch of redhats to chant his name....or use tax money to golf on his own property
 
GDB
Posts: 14253
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Pretty sure Trump went to Russia initially in the late 80's, when it was opening up.
Certainly this century he has, prior to even running for office.
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:03 am

GDB wrote:
Pretty sure Trump went to Russia initially in the late 80's, when it was opening up.
Certainly this century he has, prior to even running for office.


Indeed. I don't think it was that long ago he was in a Moscow hotel room with a lady or two, who must have had far too much water with dinner as they needed to pee so badly. They ended up peeing on him/the bed. How unfortunate.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: About that "POTUS daily briefing" and classified documents

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 am

FGITD wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Frankly amazed how much of the world that Trump never visited as President.

Africa
Australia
Russia
Most of South America

The list goes on.


Can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve read that only 4 sitting presidents have ever visited every state in the country. If they can’t even bother to visit their own country, why would they go elsewhere?

Trump in particular seems to have had absolutely no interest in presidential travel to anywhere that he couldn’t get a bunch of redhats to chant his name....or use tax money to golf on his own property


I am not sure what visiting every state in the nation has to do with anything. That was not really possible until the mid-20th Century. Five states were admitted in the 20th Century anyway. And who wants to visit North Dakota? ;)

Visiting other countries, especially allies, is very important. IIRC, the MAGA leader visits only "Western" countries. If there is not one of his golf resorts there, he does not go. Look at all the diplomatic trips GWB and Obama made. Not just a quick spot of tea then a week or two of golf but actual diplomacy.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dazbo5, petertenthije and 35 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos