Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

petertenthije
Topic Author

Trump considering options to strike Iran

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm

The one positive thing that came from the Trump administration is that no new war was started. Granted, this was in large part due to Iran holding back after Soleimani got killed, but still, an achievement is an achievement.

It seems Trump is interested in removing this last good mark from his legacy as well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54972269

Short quote from the BBC:
President Donald Trump asked senior advisers last Thursday (12-nov) about potential options for attacking Iran's main nuclear site, US media report.

The advisers warned him that military action could spark a broader conflict, officials were cited as saying.

The White House has not commented on the accounts of the meeting.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

mbmbos

Re: Trump considering options to strike Iran

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 pm

If Trump can't win reelection he will burn the whole thing down. It's a trait of malignant narcissists.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Francoflier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm

petertenthije wrote:
The one positive thing that came from the Trump administration is that no new war was started. Granted, this was in large part due to Iran holding back after Soleimani got killed, but still, an achievement is an achievement.

There is no 'achievement'.

There was relative peace with Iran, which had been worked out at length by the previous administration.
It wasn't perfect, but if was a base to work on to allow increasingly normalized relations between the West and Iran, including the resumption of trade.

Trump came along and took a hammer to this, like he did with most of the previous administration's work. Whether he did it because he wanted to destroy Obama's legacy or whether he wanted to please his Saudi and Israeli buddies, I don't know, probably both. But he's done nothing but antagonize Iran ever since.

I suppose the only 'achievement' is that he refrained from going to War with Iran before the election to take advantage of the 'President at War' popularity boost... Honestly, that's a surprising amount of restrain for this volatile idiot.

Except now it's scorched earth time, because the capricious baby lost and if he loses, he's taking everyone and everything down with him...
I hope the generals have enough sense to ignore him for another two months, when a competent administration takes over.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:31 pm

petertenthije wrote:

President Donald Trump asked senior advisers last Thursday (12-nov) about potential options for attacking Iran's main nuclear site, US media report.

The advisers warned him that military action could spark a broader conflict, officials were cited as saying.

Trump wants to go out with a bang. Normally that would involve some unfortunate female, but on this occasion it could be the whole planet that gets shafted.

Like any insecure meglomaniac, he wants to be remembered. Somebody needs to tell him that he is already assured of that, just for all the wrong reasons.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Aaron747

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 pm

petertenthije wrote:

It seems Trump is interested in removing this last good mark from his legacy as well.

There was no 'new' war, yes, but Trump significantly expanded the drone attacks conducted by the Bush and Obama administrations, and reduced transparency of them.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/ ... -s-numbers

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/22/ob ... ngs-count/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

vrbarreto

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

There was no 'new' war, yes, but Trump significantly expanded the drone attacks conducted by the Bush and Obama administrations, and reduced transparency of them.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/ ... -s-numbers

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/22/ob ... ngs-count/

A variation of "Read my lips.. No new taxes"

GDB

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:02 pm

The long term allies of the US, the Kurds, might have a different view on US policy under Trump, the suddenly abandon them to their enemies part.
To suck up to the mini Trump in Turkey it seems.

LCDFlight

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Trump wants to go out with a bang. Normally that would involve some unfortunate female, but on this occasion it could be the whole planet that gets shafted.

Like any insecure meglomaniac, he wants to be remembered. Somebody needs to tell him that he is already assured of that, just for all the wrong reasons.

Well said. The guy better not do anything.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 pm

I thought if it would have happened, it would have been a 'October Surprise' before the election.

It appears Trump has been dissuaded for now by cooler heads in the Pentagon, perhaps by Saudi Arabia and Israel too, but the threat is still there of him overriding them and bombing Iran as a last great act of defiance.

alfa164

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:58 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It appears Trump has been dissuaded for now by cooler heads in the Pentagon, perhaps by Saudi Arabia and Israel too, but the threat is still there of him overriding them and bombing Iran as a last great act of defiance.

It is almost as if he is trying to create a situation where an Iran Nuclear Agreement cannot be reintroduced and/or cannot be successful.

Whether that is due to pressure from the neo-cons and their foreign backers, or just his determination to try to make everyone else unsuccessful - after derailing the previously successful agreement - is the question.

mbmbos wrote:
If Trump can't win reelection he will burn the whole thing down. It's a trait of malignant narcissists.

:checkmark: We will be able to look up "malignant narcissist" in future dictionaries... and there will be Herr Trump's picture...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

casinterest

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 pm

alfa164 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

It is almost as if he is trying to create a situation where an Iran Nuclear Agreement cannot be reintroduced and/or cannot be successful.

Whether that is due to pressure from the neo-cons and their foreign backers, or just his determination to try to make everyone else unsuccessful - after derailing the previously successful agreement - is the question.

If Trump attacks now, after cooler heads tried to prevail, then will the Chiefs of Staff quit to prevent it? This would be the next move I would expect.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

skyservice_330

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 pm

One-term chump, Donny Trump, launches a major war in the final days of his lame-duck loser presidency.

If you could decorate a foreign policy with a TRUMP sign on the front (dimly lit, of course) along with some shi*ty 'Ivanka's finest' made in China bath robes, it would make this a truly Trumpian foreign policy..

NIKV69

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:40 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
One-term chump, Donny Trump, launches a major war in the final days of his lame-duck loser presidency.

If you could decorate a foreign policy with a TRUMP sign on the front (dimly lit, of course) along with some shi*ty 'Ivanka's finest' made in China bath robes, it would make this a truly Trumpian foreign policy..

He hasn't launched anything and probably won't. In fact he is drawing down the troops in Afghanistan which when Bush was in office everyone wanted now of all a sudden it's a bad idea. Typical. :sarcastic:
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

art

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Is there anyone Trump might listen to? I don't just mean in US.

alfa164

Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:
One-term chump, Donny Trump, launches a major war in the final days of his lame-duck loser presidency. If you could decorate a foreign policy with a TRUMP sign on the front (dimly lit, of course) along with some shi*ty 'Ivanka's finest' made in China bath robes, it would make this a truly Trumpian foreign policy..

He hasn't launched anything and probably won't. In fact he is drawing down the troops in Afghanistan which when Bush was in office everyone wanted now of all a sudden it's a bad idea. Typical. :sarcastic:

"Everyone wanted"? Name them. Name everyone. In alphabetical order.

In truth, many of us thought withdrawing resources from Afghanistan (a justifiable place to intervene, in light of 911) and sending them to Iraq (for a "war of choice") was the worst foreign policy blunder in all of Bush2's eight years. So no, abdicating our commitments in Afghanistan is not what "everyone wanted".... but don't let facts get in the way of your diatribe...

:roll:

art wrote:

The voices in his head, perhaps. You gotta wonder how many of those he listens to...

;)

NIKV69

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm

alfa164 wrote:

In truth, many of us thought withdrawing resources from Afghanistan (a justifiable place to intervene, in light of 911) and sending them to Iraq (for a "war of choice") was the worst foreign policy blunder in all of Bush2's eight years. So no, abdicating our commitments in Afghanistan is not what "everyone wanted".... but don't let facts get in the way of your diatribe...

;)

Sorry reverse alpha

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/605497/

It's amazing how Warren is all for no troops in the beginning of the year when nobody is thinking of the election but now that Biden has won whoa we can't pull troops? Can they be more biased and ridiclous?

cpd

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:13 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:

Getting back to the topic of a strike on Iran before the end of his term in office, it doesn’t surprise me if he had considered such an option- probably less as a measure against Iran but to bring on four years of hell for whoever takes over as President after him. Leave them in a quagmire.

casinterest

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:15 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

;)

Sorry reverse alpha

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/605497/

It's amazing how Warren is all for no troops in the beginning of the year when nobody is thinking of the election but now that Biden has won whoa we can't pull troops? Can they be more biased and ridiclous?

It's amazing how you can't read the articles.

https://apnews.com/article/63a265c232cd ... 6f9b34de42

Campaign: Warren’s call to exit Mideast means combat troops
By ROBERT BURNS
October 16, 2019

In a statement after the debate, Warren spokeswoman Alexis Krieg said the candidate “was referencing combat troops, not those stationed in the Middle East in non-combat roles.”

“She believes we need to end the endless wars. That means working to responsibly remove U.S. troops from combat in the Middle East, and using diplomacy to work with allies and partners to end conflicts and suffering in the region,” Krieg said.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

art

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:24 pm

alfa164 wrote:
art wrote:

The voices in his head, perhaps. You gotta wonder how many of those he listens to...

;)

On that tack, I wonder what procedure exists to suspend a president who manifests signs of a lack of mental capacity. Apart from appearing to suffer a personality disorder (narcissism), does this person perhaps show signs of suffering from psychosis?

seb146

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm

So, he pulled us out of the nuclear deal with Iran that everyone (including Iran) was following and he is now blaming Iran. Does that sum things up?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:30 pm

art wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
art wrote:

;)

On that tack, I wonder what procedure exists to suspend a president who manifests signs of a lack of mental capacity. Apart from appearing to suffer a personality disorder (narcissism), does this person perhaps show signs of suffering from psychosis?

Reading the 25th Amendment, section four, it would take bipartisan support. We all know the MAGA fans in both the House and Senate will never ever allow any of this because their dear leader is the youngest, thinnest, smartest leader ever to lead.

AirWorthy99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:46 pm

This is so much fake news, paving the way for Biden to come out and bail out Iran and getting back to the nefarious Iran nuclear deal he and Obama signed.

If the US gets back into the Iran nuclear deal, it will setback the peace obtained during these years in the middle east. Will go against our allies, Israel and the KSA.

The geniuses that are coming back to the WH will certainly make things worse as they have for generations. Unfortunate.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

NIKV69

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
This is so much fake news, paving the way for Biden to come out and bail out Iran and getting back to the nefarious Iran nuclear deal he and Obama signed.

If the US gets back into the Iran nuclear deal, it will setback the peace obtained during these years in the middle east. Will go against our allies, Israel and the KSA.

The geniuses that are coming back to the WH will certainly make things worse as they have for generations. Unfortunate.

Unfortunately this is very true.

petertenthije
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
This is so much fake news

It’s so fake, even Fox is reporting it.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/presid ... -out-of-it

If Fox ain’t right wing enough for you anymore, OAN also has it.
https://www.oann.com/iran-says-u-s-move ... -response/
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

DocLightning

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 pm

alfa164 wrote:

I wonder if he is trying to instigate a terrorist attack on the US, which would most likely occur just as the next Administration is settling in and that way he and the GOP can blame it on President Biden.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AirWorthy99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:18 pm

petertenthije wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

From your FOX news citation

But two senior administration officials – both of whom were in the Iran meeting with the president about a week ago – told Fox News that Trump did not ask for options for a strike against Iran, and that officials did not have to “talk him out of it.”

So yes, the headline in this thread and many of the narratives in the MSM, are FAKE news. 4 years of fake news will go on till the very last day of Trump in office.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

phatfarmlines

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:22 pm

DocLightning wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I wonder if he is trying to instigate a terrorist attack on the US, which would most likely occur just as the next Administration is settling in and that way he and the GOP can blame it on President Biden.

The "lame duck" term needs to be better moderated. It's like the McDonald's employee who was just fired and is about to set the place ablaze on his or her way out.

CitizenJustin

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

But two senior administration officials – both of whom were in the Iran meeting with the president about a week ago – told Fox News that Trump did not ask for options for a strike against Iran, and that officials did not have to “talk him out of it.”

So yes, the headline in this thread and many of the narratives in the MSM, are FAKE news. 4 years of fake news will go on till the very last day of Trump in office.

Your definition of fake news is anything not fitting your narrative. It’s really as simple as that.

casinterest

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:39 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Your definition of fake news is anything not fitting your narrative. It’s really as simple as that.

Fake news is anything his cult determines is outside of their ability to rationally explain.

AirWorthy99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:39 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

The person who posted this thread, said "Trump considering options to strike Iran". This person later cites an article which says explicitly that Trump never sought to consider any actions. If that's not fake news then what's fake news?

It seems that the MSM is doing a great job in creating false narratives which would eventually lead to failed public policy by Biden.

casinterest

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:51 pm

Hmmm Let's see.....OP posts story from credible sources reporting a concerning turn of events they heard on a call with the President. Story goes viral. Trump get's OANN and Fox news to query two loyal sycophants that say "No way, didn't happen", and off we go with a valid source for the cult of Trump.

NIKV69

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:32 pm

DocLightning wrote:

Biden will probably be tested by our enemies not because of Trump. Whatever you want to say about Trump the terrorists would think twice because they knew he would respond strongly. Biden? Well I am quite concerned how he will or will not react to provocation.

keesje

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Biden will probably be tested by our enemies not because of Trump. Whatever you want to say about Trump the terrorists would think twice because they knew he would respond strongly. Biden? Well I am quite concerned how he will or will not react to provocation.

I think enemies (who ever) loved Trump because of his isolist strategy and because of how effectively he divided and weakened the USA and morality. They actively supported his election.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian ... _elections

Also Iran, they had a hard job convincing anyone Obama was a big evil aggressor. People aren't blind. Donald made it easy.

This night I saw speeches of Obama from 2007, humility, honesty, respect, smartness. I think his replacement was the biggest quality implosion of any US presidential succession. Luckily a majority came to it senses.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

cpd

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Trump reacting strongly:

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-ame ... 95a1509b39

By withdrawing thousands of troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, not exactly the strong response. This will just allow terror groups to get stronger. And this is from a right wing news source.

Senate Leader Mitch McConnell, warned that such a move would “hurt our allies and delight - delight - the people who wish us harm”.

Aaron747

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:01 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Whoa there boy, this has been litigated quite a bit on this forum since 2015. You’ll need to explain and source exactly how JCPOA was a ‘nefarious’ deal. Keep in mind it was not the easiest deal to secure considering two of the P5+1 sponsors are allies of Iran.

At the end of the day, the point of JCPOA was to prevent an arms race between Iran and KSA. That has gone backwards the last few years - what you call ‘peace’ is actually a simmering pot - not to mention ‘peace’ really sucks if you happen to be Yemeni. If you’re going to talk about the middle east, at least keep up with what goes on there.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LittleFokker

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

For starters, I don't see why Iran would ever strike a deal with the US again. Took 40+ years for Iran to sufficiently trust the US enough to even begin negotiations. The negotiations themselves took a few years until finally a deal was made to exchange their nuclear potential for better economic access to the rest of the world. The US has been a bully to Iran ever since we overthrew the Shah (they have never attacked us), so now that Trump decided to wipe his ass with the carefully constructed agreement, there's no incentive for them to come back to the negotiating table. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if many of our allies have trouble trusting the US in an international agreement if one deranged lunatic we somehow put in power is capable of undoing years of hard work.

I don't know what Biden will do with Iran specifically, but I do know that his going to have a hell of a foreign relations challenge to rebuild. I wish someone during the campaign had asked him "exactly HOW do you intend to restore faith in the United States as a trustworthy world leader again? "
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

bennett123

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:07 am

Hard to see how anyone would know what Donald Trump's reaction would be in any given situation.

Well apart from that if you don't see it his way then he will set out to destroy you.

AirWorthy99

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Whoa there boy, this has been litigated quite a bit on this forum since 2015. You’ll need to explain and source exactly how JCPOA was a ‘nefarious’ deal. Keep in mind it was not the easiest deal to secure considering two of the P5+1 sponsors are allies of Iran.

At the end of the day, the point of JCPOA was to prevent an arms race between Iran and KSA. That has gone backwards the last few years - what you call ‘peace’ is actually a simmering pot - not to mention ‘peace’ really sucks if you happen to be Yemeni. If you’re going to talk about the middle east, at least keep up with what goes on there.

Yes, of course I will.

The 3 years leading to the 2018 departure from the deal, you are going to tell me that Iran was playing nice in the region? The deal gave billions to a terrorist regime that funded horrific terrorism in Yemen and Syria, funded the takeover of Lebanon by Hezbollah, and funding terrorism against Israel by Hamas and at the same time developing long range ballistic missiles.

That was the deal, the Obama/Biden foreign policy was one of the most destructive and failed policies in generations. Even worse than GWB Iraq. The same Obama administration that allowed Putin takeover Crimea. Obama drew a red line in Syria that was swiftly violated and got no response.

The Obama/Biden foreign policy in the Middle East was an utter disaster by all means. Carnage, terror like none other. Trump's 4 years at the helm is like arriving at a library compared to the chaos that the Obama/Biden years did in foreign policy in the middle east.

The best thing that the Iran nuclear deal got was, that created unlikely allies. Israel and the KSA stood up to the Iranian regime, after being abandoned and discarded by the Obama administration. Leaving the deal was the best thing that has ever happened for peace in that region.

Lets judge a policy on its results not on its intention as Milton Friedman said. How many deaths occurred on the period 2015-2018 compared to 2018-2020. Leave that as a homework to find out what worked best in the end.

AirWorthy99

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:12 am

LittleFokker wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

For starters, I don't see why Iran would ever strike a deal with the US again. Took 40+ years for Iran to sufficiently trust the US enough to even begin negotiations. The negotiations themselves took a few years until finally a deal was made to exchange their nuclear potential for better economic access to the rest of the world. The US has been a bully to Iran ever since we overthrew the Shah (they have never attacked us), so now that Trump decided to wipe his ass with the carefully constructed agreement, there's no incentive for them to come back to the negotiating table. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if many of our allies have trouble trusting the US in an international agreement if one deranged lunatic we somehow put in power is capable of undoing years of hard work.

I don't know what Biden will do with Iran specifically, but I do know that his going to have a hell of a foreign relations challenge to rebuild. I wish someone during the campaign had asked him "exactly HOW do you intend to restore faith in the United States as a trustworthy world leader again? "

You restore faith by strength and determination. Not saying that if the Syrian regime crosses a red line you will act and then not act. Or allowing Putin take over Crimea (after saying GWB had wrong Russia policy). Or giving billions to a terrorist regime like Iran and in exchange funding terrorism and carnage in the entire region.

Obama/Biden is weakness that leads to death and war. You watch what happens if we get into another mess because of that.

wingman

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:23 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:

You restore faith by strength and determination. Not saying that if the Syrian regime crosses a red line you will act and then not act. Or allowing Putin take over Crimea (after saying GWB had wrong Russia policy). Or giving billions to a terrorist regime like Iran and in exchange funding terrorism and carnage in the entire region.

Obama/Biden is weakness that leads to death and war. You watch what happens if we get into another mess because of that.

Which deaths are you charting President by President, all deaths, US military only, civilian deaths, deaths caused by other countries because we presumably didn't stop them? What in damnation are you talking about exactly? I ask because the Bushes combines caused at least 1000X more deaths than Obama and I'm talking about any measure you care you use. And what's with 2015-2018 and 2018-2020? I'm trying be polite here son, but you don't make much sense so it's hard.

LittleFokker

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 am

AirWorth99 wrote:
Or giving billions to a terrorist regime like Iran and in exchange funding terrorism and carnage in the entire region.

Still peddling the bullshit that we gave money to Iran? We merely unfroze Iran's assets, meaning we allowed them to access what was rightfully theirs. With Trump ripping up the deal, now they get to keep their money and make nukes too! Thanks, Trump! Again, Iran has never attacked the United States, and they are nowhere near the funder of terrorism the way Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and Israel are.

I think the best way to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we are to be trusted again is to clean up our own house. Get rid of all these America hating Republicans and start investing seriously in our people. Tax the hell out of the wealthy because they have been on the gravy train for too long now, stop getting involved in other nations' fights, and rather than piss on immigrants, make America a place people want to emigrate to again!

AirWorthy99

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:55 am

wingman wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Which deaths are you charting President by President, all deaths, US military only, civilian deaths, deaths caused by other countries because we presumably didn't stop them? What in damnation are you talking about exactly? I ask because the Bushes combines caused at least 1000X more deaths than Obama and I'm talking about any measure you care you use. And what's with 2015-2018 and 2018-2020? I'm trying be polite here son, but you don't make much sense so it's hard.

Thank you for your politeness.

Deaths in the region, either civilian or military.

2015-2018 is the time the deal was on. 2018- to present timeframe is when the US withdraw from the deal.

LittleFokker wrote:
AirWorth99 wrote:
Or giving billions to a terrorist regime like Iran and in exchange funding terrorism and carnage in the entire region.

Still peddling the bullshit that we gave money to Iran? We merely unfroze Iran's assets, meaning we allowed them to access what was rightfully theirs. With Trump ripping up the deal, now they get to keep their money and make nukes too! Thanks, Trump! Again, Iran has never attacked the United States, and they are nowhere near the funder of terrorism the way Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and Israel are.

I think the best way to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we are to be trusted again is to clean up our own house. Get rid of all these America hating Republicans and start investing seriously in our people. Tax the hell out of the wealthy because they have been on the gravy train for too long now, stop getting involved in other nations' fights, and rather than piss on immigrants, make America a place people want to emigrate to again!

Uh, what's all this babbling about getting rid of Republicans? aren't we supposed to 'heal' and 'unite'? I am sorry you are still angry about the election, I thought you would want to be happy Biden won, but nothing would make you guys happy anyways.

And about money, we placed sanctions on their oil. A major if not the main source of revenue from the regime.

But you can send Biden back to Iran and beg the Mullahs to accept reentry on the deal. You should send a letter to Biden asking for that if that's so important. But come 2024 a GOP president can take it all back once again.

BTW, you let yourself come out by labeling Israel as a 'terrorist' founder, and falsely stating that Iran has 'never' attacked the US. Nice.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Yes, of course I will.

The 3 years leading to the 2018 departure from the deal, you are going to tell me that Iran was playing nice in the region? The deal gave billions to a terrorist regime that funded horrific terrorism in Yemen and Syria, funded the takeover of Lebanon by Hezbollah, and funding terrorism against Israel by Hamas and at the same time developing long range ballistic missiles.

That was the deal, the Obama/Biden foreign policy was one of the most destructive and failed policies in generations. Even worse than GWB Iraq. The same Obama administration that allowed Putin takeover Crimea. Obama drew a red line in Syria that was swiftly violated and got no response.

The Obama/Biden foreign policy in the Middle East was an utter disaster by all means. Carnage, terror like none other. Trump's 4 years at the helm is like arriving at a library compared to the chaos that the Obama/Biden years did in foreign policy in the middle east.

The best thing that the Iran nuclear deal got was, that created unlikely allies. Israel and the KSA stood up to the Iranian regime, after being abandoned and discarded by the Obama administration. Leaving the deal was the best thing that has ever happened for peace in that region.

Lets judge a policy on its results not on its intention as Milton Friedman said. How many deaths occurred on the period 2015-2018 compared to 2018-2020. Leave that as a homework to find out what worked best in the end.

‘Carnage and terror like no other’...I see. Partisan blinders are a helluva thing.

Perhaps you should read a couple books on the region covering the 1920s through 1980s before offering more wisdom on the subject.

art

Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I think the best way to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we are to be trusted again is to clean up our own house. Get rid of all these America hating Republicans and start investing seriously in our people.

Sorry but I think your attitude illustrates the acute political intolerance characteristic of what seems to have become the Disunited States.

alfa164

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:01 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Even if true - and your name-calling of Iran does not add to your credibility - it has nothing to do with the J.P.O.A. The agreement was specifically limited to Iran's production of weapons-grade nuclear material, and it has been confirmed time and time again that they were abiding by that agreement.

AirWorthy99 wrote:
That was the deal, the Obama/Biden foreign policy was one of the most destructive and failed policies in generations. Even worse than GWB Iraq.

Let's make it clear: that is your opinion, not necessarily supported by the facts. In fact, it was GWB's foray into Iraq that eliminated the :check" against Iran that Saddam Hussein had provided in the region for decades; it was his untimely departure, and the chaos that the Bush-Cheney-neo-con left behind in Iraq, that allowed Iran to become the dominant power in that part of the world.

AirWorthy99 wrote:

So... how many of those deaths were caused by Iran? Do you have a number? Or can you agree that they were a result of our own misguided demolition of Iraqui stability, and the sectarian and tribal wars that followed?

You can't only attribute numbers to the administration in office at the time; you have to be able to think linearly, and understand what brought on that disaster. "Dogma" is not the same as "critical thinking". In fact, it is just the opposite.

Aaron747 wrote:
‘Carnage and terror like no other’...I see. Partisan blinders are a helluva thing.
Perhaps you should read a couple books on the region covering the 1920s through 1980s before offering more wisdom on the subject.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Facts are stubborn things. It is too bad some people avoid them like the plague.

LittleFokker

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:42 am

art wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
I think the best way to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we are to be trusted again is to clean up our own house. Get rid of all these America hating Republicans and start investing seriously in our people.

Sorry but I think your attitude illustrates the acute political intolerance characteristic of what seems to have become the Disunited States.

I've been saying for the last 3-4 years that I don't think our Constitution survives my lifetime. As an individual, I have no influence on how or if America heals. I simultaneously root for the end of the USA as a combined nation while fearful of what the result of it look like. I cannot determine which emotion is stronger. Either way, I harbored no illusions about this country reuniting after this election. The only chance was if Biden won the EC 538-0, a unanimous and unforgiving rejection of modern Republicanism. However, unsurprisingly, that did not occur, so I weep for the future of this nation. Biden winning does not change how deplorable Trump supporters are. Better to fight for Dem majority in the Senate where we can hopefully get as much good policy passed before the weasels creep their way back into power.

tommy1808

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:46 am

LittleFokker wrote:
The only chance was if Biden won the EC 538-0, a unanimous and unforgiving rejection of modern Republicanism..

Imagine how loud the "fraud" screams would have been after such a wipe out. They are already using the fact Biden won as evidence there was fraud....

NIKV69 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

The Taliban endorsed Trump for President. There is no better proof for how absolutely wrong that statement of yours is. Terrorists want Trump to have a 2nd term.

alfa164 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

well... after an attack Iran could indict Trump for war crimes and Biden could just sign of on the extradition. Or mull the idea until after the next election(s) ....."better make sure we all forget you exist, or you die in an Iranian prison" sounds like a pretty fine idea. That would also be some 300 lbs olive branch to extend and make good.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

marcelh

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Pot, kettle, black.
The USA has shown multiple times they don’t give a youknowwhat about peace in the Middle East. The inconvenient truth is that after the claim of “WMD” and the invasion of Iraq, the USA has made a mess of the Middle East and subsequently has made a breeding ground for some extremist Islamic terrostist groups.

seb146

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am

NIKV69 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

How many nuclear weapons did Iran build under the international agreement Obama signed on to? Remember it was not ONLY Obama. It was several countries signing the agreement. US of A was only one of many countries signing the agreement. Not that "fake" news like Fox and OAN would report that because that does not fit the narrative, but still...........

WIederling

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:40 am

alfa164 wrote:
In truth, many of us thought withdrawing resources from Afghanistan (a justifiable place to intervene, in light of 911) ...

To get at a bunch of Saudi terrorists that convened in Hamburg, Germany to plan their attack?

Bin Laden, another Saudi, could never be connected to that attack either in any proven way.

There is a lot of House of Saud stamped on 911 and about zero Afghanistan.

Afghanistan was probably attacked for the Talib not being tracktable to US wishes
though they had been brought up and to power by US money ( via CIA, ISS .. indoctrinating madrassas scooping up
war orphans from the region. Talib ~= pupil.
Murphy is an optimist