Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Who should CA Gov. Newsom appoint to replace Sen. Harris??

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 pm

There has never been a Latino or Latina to represent California in the U.S. Senate. California boasts the largest Latino population in the country, with more than 15 million Latinos — and 7.9 million eligible Latino voters and growing. Now is the moment to appoint a Latino and help build a democracy that is truly reflective of the state’s populace. By 2030, Latinos are projected to represent 43% of the population.

We understand that this is not a task to take lightly and the governor will need to weigh race, ethnicity, gender and geography to decide on this once-in-a-generation appointment. We understand that he will need to select someone who has the viability, network and resources to win the seat outright in 2022.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/ope ... 731946.php

“Appointing a Black woman to this seat is nonnegotiable — this must be done,” Black Lives Matter Global Network wrote, directing the Democratic governor to either appoint U.S. Reps. Karen Bass or Barbara Lee to fill the seat for the remainder of Harris’ term.

“If there is not a single Black woman in the Senate, then the Senate is simply not a proper representation of the people,” the petition states, pointing out that there will be no Black female U.S. senators once Harris takes the leap from Congress to the executive branch.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/black- ... arbara-lee

I think that the Gov. should do what's best for CA and lean toward a Latino Senator over appointing a black woman for the sake of the "US" argument. Obviously, whomever the Gov. appoints will be left leaning, that goes without saying. Newsom has National aspirations, so I think he'll go for the "Do it for the US" option over "Do it for CA option."
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

casinterest

Re: Who should CA Gov. Newsom appoint to replace Sen. Harris??

Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 pm

I think Newsome has some shrewd moves to make. It won't make everyone happy, but he needs to do what is in the best interests of California in his appointment.
Who best fills the job requirements that Kamala Harris had, and who can speak for California in DC?

They have Dianne Feinstein still there, so it leave open a field. Alex Padilla seems to be a natural choice, as it allows Newsome to make a 2nd state appointment(Karen Bass) to shore up the demographic battle, and still have two very capable and qualified candidates.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:39 pm

I had to double check, but Gavin's last name is Newsom without the "e".
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

casinterest

Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I had to double check, but Gavin's last name is Newsom without the "e".

ok, Great.
But it doesn't really matter in the context of this thread.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

DocLightning

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I like Becerra, and Barbara Lee is my representative. I'd be sad to see her go, so I'd be happy if it were her, too.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I like Becerra, and Barbara Lee is my representative. I'd be sad to see her go, so I'd be happy if it were her, too.

I am also good with Becerra - he has been an effective and competent leader as AG and was a good House member before that. Lee is a force of nature, and has had many fans since her principled stand against the Iraq invasion in 2002-3.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Ken777

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 am

Dianne Feinstein would have instant national recognition from Day One and would eliminate Democratic infighting. I don't know the other proposed potential senators but believe that they need to get the job through their efforts.

The one question with Feinstein is would she carry her previous service in the Senate count for Seniority positions? That might stir up some "discussions" in the Senate.

johns624

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:28 am

Ken777 wrote:
Dianne Feinstein would have instant national recognition from Day One and would eliminate Democratic infighting. I don't know the other proposed potential senators but believe that they need to get the job through their efforts.

The one question with Feinstein is would she carry her previous service in the Senate count for Seniority positions? That might stir up some "discussions" in the Senate.
She's already a US Senator. She can't have both seats.
She's also 87 years old and needs to retire (along with a whole bunch of other old timers from both parties).

LittleFokker

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 am

What about Kevin DeLeon? Gave Feinstein a pretty good scare in her last election as he tried to primary her from the left? I don't know much about him beyond that.

Also, it's been a joy watching Katie Porter do her thing in the House, it would be a good idea to promote her to the Senate.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

sierrakilo44

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 am

johns624 wrote:
She's also 87 years old and needs to retire (along with a whole bunch of other old timers from both parties).

So the Democrats have a 78 year old President, an 80 year old Speaker, an 81 year old House Minority leader, an 80 year old House Whip, a 70 year old Senate minority leader, a 70 year old Senate Assistant leader, and a 76 year old Senate minority Whip, and an 87 year old senior Senator from CA?

Wow it should be a requirement for any new Senators to be under the age of 35.

Maybe the poor performance of the Democrats in the Senate and the House this election was down to a geriatric team of leaders who’ve lost touch with the majority of the population?

apodino

Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

So the Democrats have a 78 year old President, an 80 year old Speaker, an 81 year old House Minority leader, an 80 year old House Whip, a 70 year old Senate minority leader, a 70 year old Senate Assistant leader, and a 76 year old Senate minority Whip, and an 87 year old senior Senator from CA?

Maybe the poor performance of the Democrats in the Senate and the House this election was down to a geriatric team of leaders who’ve lost touch with the majority of the population?

I don't know if you watch the Rising, but I think Krystal and Saagar did a segment on this on the show yesterday.

On a related note, I am starting to wonder if Pelosi cost the Democrats the Senate. There was a ton of money that the Democrats wasted on Senate races, and really from what I saw the Democrat campaigns were pathetic. I live in Texas and I don't even know what MJ Hagar stood for because I never saw a campaign ad from her or anything, but yet money was poured into her race. So where does Pelosi come in as speaker of the House? Pelosi played hardball over COVID relief, thinking that if COVID relief was signed by Trump it would help him. I don't think that mattered that much. But, if Pelosi and the White House agreed to a relief package, McConnell didn't have the votes in the Senate to pass it. If the house passes something that was agreed to by the White House and it didn't pass the Senate, it would have been much tougher for all those GOP senators in tight races to actually win. But by Playing hardball with the White House, Pelosi gave the GOP senators up for reelection a Get out of Jail free card.

As for Harris' replacement. Xavier Becerra is too establishment and is nothing more than the same type of NeoLiberal Corporatist democrat that will quash progressive voices on the Left, and Barbara Lee is the same type. I don't think either of these guys would be a change and would be more of the status quo that continues to screw us over. So who do I like? There are two names that come to mind. Katie Porter and Ro Khanna. Both are populist and both are progressive, and I think either one would be great, and they would go well with Bernie Sanders and possibly Elizabeth Warren (If she goes back to being the Warren of old and not the Warren who sold out to the establishment). I do know Khanna is a favorite of progressives and guys like Kyle Kulinski are actively asking their listeners to flood Newsome with main and phone calls asking for Khanna to be the guy.

sierrakilo44

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:55 pm

apodino wrote:

On a related note, I am starting to wonder if Pelosi cost the Democrats the Senate. There was a ton of money that the Democrats wasted on Senate races, and really from what I saw the Democrat campaigns were pathetic.

Although it was good Biden defeated Trump, it was an abject failure for the Democrats to not take the Senate and also lose House seats. Under a Republican Administration with record unemployment, a pandemic ripping through the nation, a do nothing GOP Senate and most Americans unhappy about the course of the nation, the Democrat leadership failed miserably.

And of course being the eternal losers they are they've re-elected their entire leadership teams without fail. A bunch of prehistoric losers. Pelosi and Schumer and the rest keeping their jobs is unbelievable. It doesn't matter who gets Harris's seat, if they persist with their loser leadership they're setting themselves up for oblivion in 2022.

If they had any conscience they'd stand aside and allow anyone younger and more vibrant to take over the leadership. And bring with them some policy that Americans want because 2022 will be a bloodbath if they don't.

NIKV69

Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:58 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Although it was good Biden defeated Trump, it was an abject failure for the Democrats to not take the Senate and also lose House seats. Under a Republican Administration with record unemployment, a pandemic ripping through the nation, a do nothing GOP Senate and most Americans unhappy about the course of the nation, the Democrat leadership failed miserably.

And of course being the eternal losers they are they've re-elected their entire leadership teams without fail. A bunch of prehistoric losers. Pelosi and Schumer and the rest keeping their jobs is unbelievable. It doesn't matter who gets Harris's seat, if they persist with their loser leadership they're setting themselves up for oblivion in 2022.

If they had any conscience they'd stand aside and allow anyone younger and more vibrant to take over the leadership. And bring with them some policy that Americans want because 2022 will be a bloodbath if they don't.

Pelosi is the perfect power hungry elitist partisan and she shows that every time she talks into a microphone. I am actually happy she won another term as speaker. Her party is imploding and they didn't have the strength to boot her to the curb last time and now she gave them the empty promise of this being her last two years as Speaker which I don't believe. Unless Biden moves toward the middle 2022 will be just as much fun as 2010.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Tugger

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Pelosi is the perfect power hungry elitist partisan and she shows that every time she talks into a microphone. I am actually happy she won another term as speaker. Her party is imploding and they didn't have the strength to boot her to the curb last time and now she gave them the empty promise of this being her last two years as Speaker which I don't believe. Unless Biden moves toward the middle 2022 will be just as much fun as 2010.

I don't like her but she is as worthy her next term as McConnell is his. His party is imploding and they didn't have the strength to boot him to the curb either.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

N867DA

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:17 pm

As long as people like Mitch McConnell serve in the senate, this question is moot. If there had to be just one, the single point of failure in American democracy is the unethical and morally bankrupt nature of Mitch McConnell. I will borrow the President's words (the gold standard of modern political discourse)--people like him are an enemy of the American people.

That said, I think Becerra would be a great choice to fill the seat. He is also in the running for Biden's AG so sounds like he may head to Washington DC either way.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Aaron747

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm

apodino wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

I don't know if you watch the Rising, but I think Krystal and Saagar did a segment on this on the show yesterday.

On a related note, I am starting to wonder if Pelosi cost the Democrats the Senate. There was a ton of money that the Democrats wasted on Senate races, and really from what I saw the Democrat campaigns were pathetic. I live in Texas and I don't even know what MJ Hagar stood for because I never saw a campaign ad from her or anything, but yet money was poured into her race. So where does Pelosi come in as speaker of the House? Pelosi played hardball over COVID relief, thinking that if COVID relief was signed by Trump it would help him. I don't think that mattered that much. But, if Pelosi and the White House agreed to a relief package, McConnell didn't have the votes in the Senate to pass it. If the house passes something that was agreed to by the White House and it didn't pass the Senate, it would have been much tougher for all those GOP senators in tight races to actually win. But by Playing hardball with the White House, Pelosi gave the GOP senators up for reelection a Get out of Jail free card.

As for Harris' replacement. Xavier Becerra is too establishment and is nothing more than the same type of NeoLiberal Corporatist democrat that will quash progressive voices on the Left, and Barbara Lee is the same type. I don't think either of these guys would be a change and would be more of the status quo that continues to screw us over. So who do I like? There are two names that come to mind. Katie Porter and Ro Khanna. Both are populist and both are progressive, and I think either one would be great, and they would go well with Bernie Sanders and possibly Elizabeth Warren (If she goes back to being the Warren of old and not the Warren who sold out to the establishment). I do know Khanna is a favorite of progressives and guys like Kyle Kulinski are actively asking their listeners to flood Newsome with main and phone calls asking for Khanna to be the guy.

Porter and Khanna are great, but where in tarnation do you get the idea Barbara Lee is a corporatist stooge?

Her top contributions are from retired persons and she represents a VERY progressive district.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... =N00008046
Last edited by Aaron747 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm

apodino wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Porter and Khanna are great, but where in tarnation do you get the idea Barbara Lee is a corporatist stooge?

Her top contributions are from retired persons and she represents a VERY progressive district.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... =N00008046

NIKV69

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Tugger wrote:
I don't like her but she is as worthy her next term as McConnell is his. His party is imploding and they didn't have the strength to boot him to the curb either.

Tugg

You don't have a imploding party and pick up House seats. Especially CA house seats.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

johns624

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

You don't have a imploding party and pick up House seats. Especially CA house seats.
It depends... Unless you're on one fringe or the other, most people like a split executive/legislative. Nobody wants one party to have all the power.

Tugger

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Sure you do, the Republican's lost the most important seat: the White House, and they are still saddled with the loose canon/circular firing squad combo of Trump and his followers.
And didn't Dems pick up a bunch in the 2018 election? So the Republicans were imploding then? I guess imploding doesn't mean anything long term or a real problem?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
I think Newsome has some shrewd moves to make. It won't make everyone happy, but he needs to do what is in the best interests of California in his appointment.
Who best fills the job requirements that Kamala Harris had, and who can speak for California in DC?

They have Dianne Feinstein still there, so it leave open a field. Alex Padilla seems to be a natural choice, as it allows Newsome to make a 2nd state appointment(Karen Bass) to shore up the demographic battle, and still have two very capable and qualified candidates.

Padilla it is.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/politics ... index.html

Gov. Gavin Newsom appointed California Secretary of State Alex Padilla to fill Vice President-elect Kamala Harris' Senate seat on Tuesday, choosing the first Latino in state history for the role.

"His appointment will make history. But the @AlexPadilla4CA I know is far more interested in changing history -- especially for the working men and women of our state and country," Newsom tweeted Tuesday. "I can think of no one better to represent the state of California as our next United States Senator."

bgm

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:27 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

The GOP are now tied to the disgusting circus that is Trumpism. They shat on American democracy; thankfully the US checks and balances picked it back up and flung it right back in their treasonous faces.

Vile c-u-next-tuesdays, the lot of them.