Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Pres-Elect Biden's proposed cabinet and WH top staff picks

Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:13 pm

President-Elect Joe Biden if putting out names of proposed cabinet and top White House staff appointments. He has to deal with a mix of trying, as Pres. Obama, of having a cabinet 'that looks like America', that is not just White males, to appease party progressives and moderates, get people who will get confirmed by what could be a Republican controlled Senate. Biden expects to proposed persons for most of the key positions by tomorrow, Nov.24th ot help with the transition and time to do security and other clearance investigations.

Some names have been purposely leaked to see public reaction, if could be serious issues that would not be popular. One is Rahm Emmanuel for Dept. of Transportation, a former Mayor of Chicago who is very unpopular with Black communities from the Chicago Police Dept. cover up of a murder of a Black man in police custody when Mayor Another is Susan Rice for high diplomatic related post who created controversy as to saying the cause of the terror attack of the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Some may be groundbreaking, including the first Black persons for Treasury and Defense, a Native American at Interior (which manages our National Parks, Forests and Indian Reservations). Former proposed SCOTUS pick that was prevented by the Republcan Senate in 2016 is proposed for Attorney General. He is very well qualified but there might be pressure to put in a Black man or woman to be a big acknowledgment of racism in American judicial and policing policies.

This link gives some info on the already proposed and rumored names. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/0 ... ces-433431

winginit

Re: Pres-Elect Biden's proposed cabinet and WH top staff picks

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 pm

What we're hearing today doesn't sound at all controversial:

Anthony Blinken, Secretary of State
Linda Thomas-Greenfield, UN Ambassador

Both have been previously confirmed (swiftly) on a bi-partisan basis for comparable jobs under past administrations, and should be as well here.

Those getting worked up about seeing the squad in appointed positions across the board and Warren as Treasury Secretary (as Fox News proclaimed last night) would do well to calm down.

winginit

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Janet Yellen will be nominated Treasury Secretary. Another logical pick that shouldn't ruffle feathers given she served for multiple years in both the Obama and Trump Administrations.

She was easily confirmed 56-26 in 2014 for Fed Chairman, and will be the first female Treasury Secretary

c933103

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Apparently Biden will name Anthony Blinken as Secretary of State.
Quick Google Search indicates, in September he think decoupling with China is unrealistuc, counterproductive, and is a mistake, and said Biden would focus on rebuilding U.S. competitiveness to better compete with China, instead of tackle China's unsettling behavior and threat directly.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN26D1SM
Such pick is really concerning and disheartening.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

tmu101

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Not that Biden would ask nor would Obama want one but is it theoretically possible to nominate and confirm a past president to a cabinet position? I've always wondered that. I know cabinet positions are part of order of succession and Obama can't be president constitutionally even though the chance is very remote a cabinet member would be called upon to take over (Vice President, Speaker of the House and Senate Pro Tem (sp?) Not sure of true title) would have to be incapacitated for that to happen - something akin to the movie By Dawn's Early Light (Secretary of the Interior became president).) Thank you all.

winginit

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 pm

c933103 wrote:
Quick Google Search indicates, in September he think decoupling with China is unrealistuc, counterproductive, and is a mistake, and said Biden would focus on rebuilding U.S. competitiveness to better compete with China, instead of tackle China's unsettling behavior and threat directly.

Disheartening? Apart from clearly being qualified for the job, Blinken's take on China-US relations is a sensible one. Economic decoupling between the US and China is impossible, as I'm sure you know, and a fool's errand that even contemporary Republicans would acknowledge. Excited about those coronavirus vaccines that are inbound? Me to, and their distribution will only be made possible on a global scale on account of the manufacturing capacity of... China.

What were you expecting? A Democratic President-elect to nominate some sort of right-wing China hawk as Secretary of State?

tmu101 wrote:
Not that Biden would ask nor would Obama want one but is it theoretically possible to nominate and confirm a past president to a cabinet position? I've always wondered that. I know cabinet positions are part of order of succession and Obama can't be president constitutionally even though the chance is very remote a cabinet member would be called upon to take over (Vice President, Speaker of the House and Senate Pro Tem (sp?) Not sure of true title) would have to be incapacitated for that to happen - something akin to the movie By Dawn's Early Light (Secretary of the Interior became president).) Thank you all.

It is lawful, but Obama has already ruled it out

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:02 pm

tmu101 wrote:

At least one past President, Taft, served on the Supreme Court. https://www.thoughtco.com/only-presiden ... urt-104775
Apparently no former US President has served in a future Presidential cabinet, although they may be consulted for advice by a future President, likely Biden has and will do so. One, the infamous President Andrew Johnson was later a US Senator.

c933103

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 pm

winginit wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Disheartening? Apart from clearly being qualified for the job, Blinken's take on China-US relations is a sensible one. Economic decoupling between the US and China is impossible, as I'm sure you know, and a fool's errand that even contemporary Republicans would acknowledge. Excited about those coronavirus vaccines that are inbound? Me to, and their distribution will only be made possible on a global scale on account of the manufacturing capacity of... China.

What were you expecting? A Democratic President-elect to nominate some sort of right-wing China hawk as Secretary of State?

- I'd say it is next to impossible but not ouright impossible and could be a goal worth working on for the US
- With quite a number of vaccine safety problem from China in recent years are you really counting China on making vaccines
- I have seen some who campaigned for Biden claiming that he will challenge China better than Trump.

c933103

Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:18 am

Searching result of another appointment return me result like this:
Why national security adviser designate Jake Sullivan will be celebrated in China, Iran, and Russia
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... and-russia

tmu101

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:47 am

ltbewr wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

At least one past President, Taft, served on the Supreme Court. https://www.thoughtco.com/only-presiden ... urt-104775
Apparently no former US President has served in a future Presidential cabinet, although they may be consulted for advice by a future President, likely Biden has and will do so. One, the infamous President Andrew Johnson was later a US Senator.

I seem to remember seeing a program on this. Taft was much happier in the Supreme Court than as President if i recall.

Another interesting thing - isn't it true than one individual can technically be president for basically one day short of 10 years? Most likely would be a Vice President taking over as President and then running for two terms just as long as that person became President one day after the half way point of the preceding President's term. Johnson i believe would have qualified after Kennedy died if he ran in '68.

alfa164

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:25 am

c933103 wrote:
Searching result of another appointment return me result like this: Why national security adviser designate Jake Sullivan will be celebrated in China, Iran, and Russia

You might - or might not - be right, but to base your conclusion on something from the "Washington Examiner" is not a good sign. The rag is known for bias and political hack jobs.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

c933103

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 am

alfa164 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Searching result of another appointment return me result like this: Why national security adviser designate Jake Sullivan will be celebrated in China, Iran, and Russia

You might - or might not - be right, but to base your conclusion on something from the "Washington Examiner" is not a good sign. The rag is known for bias and political hack jobs.

The link say, "The Washington Examiner frequently utilizes loaded wording in sensationalized headlines such as: Trump’s manic Monday amid the Kavanaugh storm. While the headlines may be sensational, the content of articles are written with less bias and tend to be properly sourced to credible media outlets."

tommy1808

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:59 am

c933103 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The link say, "The Washington Examiner frequently utilizes loaded wording in sensationalized headlines such as: Trump’s manic Monday amid the Kavanaugh storm. While the headlines may be sensational, the content of articles are written with less bias and tend to be properly sourced to credible media outlets."

Claims in the Article:

Trump got NATO members to spend more money: He didn´t, the 2% target was set in 2014 and budgets started raising then, not when Trump was in office. And the only president that deserves credit for that is Putin ...
No lethal weapons to Ukraine because Obama was against it: hyperbole galore.... https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/26/poli ... index.html
JCPOA: the author has no understanding of disarmament deals whatsoever, because he just mindlessly repeats the whole "they gave them a month" nonsense, where every single verification expert on the planet agrees that a month is not nearly enough to clean up a site.

Its a hit piece with zero research

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

alfa164

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 pm

c933103 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Searching result of another appointment return me result like this: Why national security adviser designate Jake Sullivan will be celebrated in China, Iran, and Russia https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... and-russia

If you are going to quote, you should quote what was actually written:

RIGHT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Overall, we rate the Washington Examiner Right Biased based on editorial positions that almost exclusively favor the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.

I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:30 pm

One concern people have is the radical MAGA Senate will not confirm any of Biden's nominees. They are confirming as many radical far right wing extremists judges to legislate from the bench but that will all end in January. Until we get a working Senate and kick out the radical MAGA faction, some people think Biden will be working with an "acting" cabinet.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
One concern people have is the radical MAGA Senate will not confirm any of Biden's nominees. They are confirming as many radical far right wing extremists judges to legislate from the bench but that will all end in January. Until we get a working Senate and kick out the radical MAGA faction, some people think Biden will be working with an "acting" cabinet.

You’re inventing stuff up—Biden will get his cabinet confirmed. He might compromise on some his appointments but Biden and McConnell will make deals.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:01 pm

tmu101 wrote:
I know cabinet positions are part of order of succession and Obama can't be president constitutionally

I am not sure if that is the case. I am no Constitutional scholar, but I believe the restriction is that he cannot be elected to office more than twice.

That said, if events so cataclysmic were to occur such that the order of succession got all the way down to a hypothetical Cabinet Member Obama, I'm not sure that there would be many people left to complain about it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

apodino

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 pm

seb146 wrote:

There is no way Janet Yellen or any of the other picks Biden has announced will not be confirmed, and in fact I can already count enough votes to confirm.. In fact, so far the only complaints I have heard about the Biden cabinet have been on the left. Biden the other day made a comment about his cabinet already being progressive enough, which is alarming progressives since they don't see anyone who Biden has named so far that is remotely progressive.

So far exactly what I predicted before the election with the transition has happened. Biden has appointed even swampier people to key posts than what Trump had. And Biden has given the left the finger. I will have to wait to see how he fills the rest of his cabinet, but so far its a bunch of neoliberal career washington insiders who answer to wall street and the corporate donor class more than the people. And that worries me going forward.

DocLightning wrote:
tmu101 wrote:
I know cabinet positions are part of order of succession and Obama can't be president constitutionally

I am not sure if that is the case. I am no Constitutional scholar, but I believe the restriction is that he cannot be elected to office more than twice.

That said, if events so cataclysmic were to occur such that the order of succession got all the way down to a hypothetical Cabinet Member Obama, I'm not sure that there would be many people left to complain about it.

Obama is a beloved president, but most of the people who follow Washington closely would point out that for as good a salesman and speaker as Obama is, his record is actually more in line with that of Ronald Regan than FDR. Obama had a veto proof majority senate, and a majority in the House, but didnt deliver single payer, allowed wall street to get off scott free for the subprime mortgage crisis, and really accomplished very little substantively. The ACA is the noteworthy thing, but really this screwed over more people than it helped, and it helped facilitate the upward transfer of wealth that really accelerated under his leadership. The week has a great article on this, and this is from a Liberal Perspective.

https://theweek.com/articles/950908/obama-pretender?utm_source=links&tum_medium=website&utm_campaign=twitter

frmrCapCadet

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Obama is a likely candidate for critical missions representing the US abroad. He is well liked abroad, Biden is confident in him.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Vladex

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm

That list looks like Iraq government transition committee before the war literally in many ways. Totally imaginary and likely to be a complete failure but I do wonder where will they run to after their failure?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 am

Yup, John Kerry owns 6 houses, 12 cars, 2 yachts and a private jet; just the man for climate czar. Oh, and he scammed his own state for property taxes on the latest yacht by taking delivery in RI. The Democrats, gotta love ‘em.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:28 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Yup, John Kerry owns 6 houses, 12 cars, 2 yachts and a private jet; just the man for climate czar. Oh, and he scammed his own state for property taxes on the latest yacht by taking delivery in RI. The Democrats, gotta love ‘em.

Kerry is certainly a disappointing pick. We need someone capable of clear and influential science communication in that post. I would have reached out to someone like Michio Kaku or Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 am

The Blob returns!

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:43 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Blob returns!

Pontificating on favorite sci-fi movies aside, Kerry is absolutely ineffectual compared to this:

https://youtu.be/y1MZ8U8C9c8
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

apodino

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:21 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Kerry is certainly a disappointing pick. We need someone capable of clear and influential science communication in that post. I would have reached out to someone like Michio Kaku or Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

The names you mention are physicists not climate scientists, who is who Biden should have really appointed.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:24 am

apodino wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The names you mention are physicists not climate scientists, who is who Biden should have really appointed.

Naturally that would be best, but I’m not sure we have that luxury in a time where half the country seems to have abandoned even basic scientific literacy. Having effective communicators to bridge the gaps is just as important as specific in-field expertise.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:13 am

They didn’t abandon it, the education system abandoned teaching it as they did basic subjects like history, economics, managing money, basic science.

Tugger

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:27 am

Well history is one subject we are trying to get back to and to the story, the actual, uncolored history.

And science is another but there are select groups that want to teach non-science as if it were science.

I agree that managing money must be part of a curriculum (can't leave that to the parents?).

I also think that critical thinking should also be taught. How to suss out facts amidst the "Bannon-theory" over information.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
They didn’t abandon it, the education system abandoned teaching it as they did basic subjects like history, economics, managing money, basic science.

That comes down to decisions individual states have made, no? I was glad to graduate from a CA public high school in a district where three years of science were required and many students took four. The current minimums seem to be two academic years of science whether blue or red: out of 22 credits to graduate HS in AR, only 2 are required in science. CA also requires just two academic years of science at minimum.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:29 am

Tugger wrote:
Well history is one subject we are trying to get back to and two the story, the actual, uncolored history.

And science is another but there are select groups that want to teach non-science as if it were science.

I agree that managing money must be part of a curriculum (can't leave that to the parents?).

I also think that critical thinking should also be taught. How to suss out facts amidst the "Bannon-theory" over information.

Tugg

Absolutely - basic economics, budgeting, civics, and critical thinking should be part of the junior/senior curriculum. If people don’t go to university they’ll never do elementary critical thinking exercises thanks to the current high school setup.

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Oh, and he scammed his own state for property taxes on the latest yacht by taking delivery in RI. The Democrats, gotta love ‘em.

I'm confused--I was told all the tax scamming by your Messiah and henchmen/women was a sign of a good businessman?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The decimation of education certainly explains how we got the GOP.
I don't take responsibility at all

LMP737

Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:08 pm

winginit wrote:

It is lawful, but Obama has already ruled it out

He knows it would be a HUGE distraction that Biden does not need right now.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

c933103

Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:21 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Claims in the Article:

Trump got NATO members to spend more money: He didn´t, the 2% target was set in 2014 and budgets started raising then, not when Trump was in office. And the only president that deserves credit for that is Putin ...

The target being set ≠ nations being urged to reach the target.
tommy1808 wrote:
No lethal weapons to Ukraine because Obama was against it: hyperbole galore.... https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/26/poli ... index.html

The article named "UAVs, counter-mortar radars, night vision devices and medical supplies" and Humvee as supplies being provided, not lethal weapon.
tommy1808 wrote:
JCPOA: the author has no understanding of disarmament deals whatsoever, because he just mindlessly repeats the whole "they gave them a month" nonsense, where every single verification expert on the planet agrees that a month is not nearly enough to clean up a site.

Its a hit piece with zero research

best regards
Thomas

There are apparently non-zero amount of expert who think otherwise
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/worl ... perts.html

alfa164 wrote:
If you are going to quote, you should quote what was actually written:

RIGHT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Overall, we rate the Washington Examiner Right Biased based on editorial positions that almost exclusively favor the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.

It explained the evaluation of them being "right bias" was "based on editorial positions" of theirs, instead of more concerning criteria in the list.
Last edited by c933103 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

DocLightning

Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:30 pm

apodino wrote:

Keep in mind that scientists are fantastic, but they are not necessarily the best pick for high-level administrative positions. My hope is that Mr. Kerry will then find a team of such scientists and follow their counsel. But Mr. Kerry, as an accomplished politician and diplomat, has an understanding of the political and diplomatic barriers and considerations to implementing any kind of climate plan. It will take close collaboration between both skill sets to accomplish anything productive.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tommy1808

Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:36 pm

DocLightning wrote:
apodino wrote:

Keep in mind that scientists are fantastic, but they are not necessarily the best pick for high-level administrative positions. My hope is that Mr. Kerry will then find a team of such scientists and follow their counsel. But Mr. Kerry, as an accomplished politician and diplomat, has an understanding of the political and diplomatic barriers and considerations to implementing any kind of climate plan. It will take close collaboration between both skill sets to accomplish anything productive.

I would think a physicist is just the right choice for the job, less risk of tunnel view, but with the toolkit to understand everything coming to his table.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:30 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Oh, and he scammed his own state for property taxes on the latest yacht by taking delivery in RI. The Democrats, gotta love ‘em.

I'm confused--I was told all the tax scamming by your Messiah and henchmen/women was a sign of a good businessman?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Wrong and wrong. It was the Obama/Biden tax acts that have Trump the legal ability to do that “tax scamming” which was apparently very legal. Biden was the chief WH contact with Congress, I believe.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-t ... es-1535070

You keep assuming Trump was “my Messiah”; wrong again. I didn’t vote for him, I like some of his acts—judges and justices, corporate and individual tax reforms, finishing off ISIS, killing a known Iranian terror master, negotiating Arab/Israeli reproachment. All good, but Trump is a buffoon who was his second worst enemy after the deranged Dems.

Kent350787

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm

DocLightning wrote:
apodino wrote:

I couldn't garee more. A good leader or manager will choose the best skills mix and specialisations to achieve the stated aims. Specialisation doesn't make you the best leader.

The important thing is to trust and follow the scientific evidence, including weighing up the impact of varying positions.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

sierrakilo44

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:39 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
finishing off ISIS, killing a known Iranian terror master,

Very funny quote considering it was General Soleimani who defeated IS, who organised the defence of Iraq and the liberation of Mosul from these radical Wahhabists.

His assassination was a gift to radical salafists in the region. No surprise as the US was just doing Saudi Arabia’s bidding anyway, I guess Bin Salman’s investments in Trump hotels paid off.....

Aaron747

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
finishing off ISIS, killing a known Iranian terror master,

Very funny quote considering it was General Soleimani who defeated IS, who organised the defence of Iraq and the liberation of Mosul from these radical Wahhabists.

His assassination was a gift to radical salafists in the region. No surprise as the US was just doing Saudi Arabia’s bidding anyway, I guess Bin Salman’s investments in Trump hotels paid off.....

THIS, full stop. Blinders are very dangerous...

seb146

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:06 am

apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There is no way Janet Yellen or any of the other picks Biden has announced will not be confirmed, and in fact I can already count enough votes to confirm.. In fact, so far the only complaints I have heard about the Biden cabinet have been on the left. Biden the other day made a comment about his cabinet already being progressive enough, which is alarming progressives since they don't see anyone who Biden has named so far that is remotely progressive.

And this is the problem we have with the extremist MAGA appointees: We have had 10+ years of bullying and hate and lies and now are being told the "liberals" have to reach across the aisle and be pragmatic and make concessions and so forth. No. Eff that. Biden and Democrats MUST be the bullies and mean and name calling ones. Give it right back to the MAGA bullies. Now is NOT the time to be diplomatic. Don't like it? Tough. We put up with this for 10+ years (I would argue 50). It is time to get a dose of what they have been dishing out.

apodino

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:20 am

seb146 wrote:
apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And this is the problem we have with the extremist MAGA appointees: We have had 10+ years of bullying and hate and lies and now are being told the "liberals" have to reach across the aisle and be pragmatic and make concessions and so forth. No. Eff that. Biden and Democrats MUST be the bullies and mean and name calling ones. Give it right back to the MAGA bullies. Now is NOT the time to be diplomatic. Don't like it? Tough. We put up with this for 10+ years (I would argue 50). It is time to get a dose of what they have been dishing out.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. Biden is the one making the appointees here, and he is appointing people who probably will get confirmed with no problem on a bipartisan basis. Janet Yellen is a favorite of Wall Street so there is no way Mitch McConnell will hold up her nomination.

I do agree with you in one respect though. The Democratic base doesn't want to see the same corporate neoliberals in the cabinet that have been a staple of Democratic Administrations since JFK. They want to see authentic progressives who will stand up to wall street, such as Bernie Sanders, David Sirota, Nina Turner, etc. Instead they are getting lobbyists, wall street insiders, and beltway insiders.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Wrong and wrong. It was the Obama/Biden tax acts that have Trump the legal ability to do that “tax scamming” which was apparently very legal. Biden was the chief WH contact with Congress, I believe.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-t ... es-1535070

"I believe" you didn't read your own article:

"Trump also took advantage of the tax laws in effect during the presidency of George W. Bush. For 10 of the 15 years from 2000 to 2015 Trump paid no federal income taxes,"

And if you think loss carry forward tax benefits were "Obama/Biden tax acts" I have a money spinning casino in Atlantic City to sell you.
I don't take responsibility at all

seb146

Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:47 pm

apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:
apodino wrote:

Your post makes absolutely no sense. Biden is the one making the appointees here, and he is appointing people who probably will get confirmed with no problem on a bipartisan basis. Janet Yellen is a favorite of Wall Street so there is no way Mitch McConnell will hold up her nomination.

I do agree with you in one respect though. The Democratic base doesn't want to see the same corporate neoliberals in the cabinet that have been a staple of Democratic Administrations since JFK. They want to see authentic progressives who will stand up to wall street, such as Bernie Sanders, David Sirota, Nina Turner, etc. Instead they are getting lobbyists, wall street insiders, and beltway insiders.

I don't remember where I heard it but there is talk of stalling Biden's nominees.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/techtank ... ect-biden/
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/2 ... ans-438459

Republicans will confirm this as long as they are "mainstream" according to Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins. "Mainstream" or "corporate"? This is what I am talking about. Democrats need to stop being adults and stop being democratic and start name calling and bullying.

apodino

Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:24 am

seb146 wrote:
Republicans will confirm this as long as they are "mainstream" according to Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins. "Mainstream" or "corporate"? This is what I am talking about. Democrats need to stop being adults and stop being democratic and start name calling and bullying.

A couple of points. One of the big reasons Biden won is because the American people were sick of the President name calling and bullying as Trump did, but yet you are advocating for exactly that. Secondly, you are right to point out that mainstream is synonymous with corporate in Washington and that is true in both parties. Biden has been a corporate person his whole life and his campaign was literally bankrolled by the wealthiest wall street cronies imaginable. Of course he is going to appoint those people into office. He is bought and paid for by that class. However, to say the Democrats need to stop being democratic makes no sense. Do you want the Democratic party to be a dicatorship? I would argue it already is, as people on the left are continually shut out of power and spit on by the Democratic Establishment.

seb146

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:01 am

apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:

A couple of points. One of the big reasons Biden won is because the American people were sick of the President name calling and bullying as Trump did, but yet you are advocating for exactly that. Secondly, you are right to point out that mainstream is synonymous with corporate in Washington and that is true in both parties. Biden has been a corporate person his whole life and his campaign was literally bankrolled by the wealthiest wall street cronies imaginable. Of course he is going to appoint those people into office. He is bought and paid for by that class. However, to say the Democrats need to stop being democratic makes no sense. Do you want the Democratic party to be a dicatorship? I would argue it already is, as people on the left are continually shut out of power and spit on by the Democratic Establishment.

Again: Stop with the "both sides do it" because, as we have seen over the past four years (arguably 50+ years) Republicans use this excuse to justify their own bad behavior.

When Republicans make these horrible decisions and go into this name calling and bullying and "do as I say, not as I do" and "my way or the highway" and We The People catch wise and put them in check, the first reaction of Republicans is "Democrats need to reach across the aisle and compromise". Why? You want someone to "reach across the aisle and compromise" why don't you Republicans do it instead of resorting to childish behavior?

I want Republicans to be given a HUGE dose of what they have been subjecting a MAJORITY of Americans to. Republicans expect us all to live up to this ideal but they themselves rarely live up to it. Republicans want everyone else to be the adult but they themselves never are. And, when it is pointed out, Republicans change the subject and start bullying and name calling on another conspiracy theory.

Republicans want the opposition party to be adult. Fine. Until then, hold your own to that same standard. Don't hate and name call and blame others for doing what you all want.

casinterest

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:59 am

At least Biden will have a cabinet that represents America and American interests at home and abroad.

Most of these picks are merit based and not donation based as Trump made them.
We need that experience to fix the complete Mess that Trump has made of the US and the economy going forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/opinions ... index.html
Over the past week, Biden's cabinet nominations have reiterated that message. By turning to experienced government officials, Biden is trying to reassure the American people -- along with our allies -- that the country is in safe hands during this moment of crisis. While plenty of critics have been quick to express their concerns about various cabinet picks, one thing is clear -- it is a team of advisers with immense experience. While the current President has lambasted expertise, Biden will define his administration by this value.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
At least Biden will have a cabinet that represents America and American interests at home and abroad.
We need that experience to fix the complete Mess that Trump has made of the US and the economy going forward.
Over the past week, Biden's cabinet nominations have reiterated that message. By turning to experienced government officials, Biden is trying to reassure the American people -- along with our allies -- that the country is in safe hands during this moment of crisis. While plenty of critics have been quick to express their concerns about various cabinet picks, one thing is clear -- it is a team of advisers with immense experience. While the current President has lambasted expertise, Biden will define his administration by this value.

Apparently the WH communications team will be led by a group that is all female; https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1btjVw
Diversity continues to be a key factor in selections of staff but there are some challenges to some proposed appointments due to deep connections to big corporations, military contractors, gender and racial issues. https://www.npr.org/2020/11/28/93973743 ... inet-picks
This week will see announcements of key staff as to economic issues, with significant numbers of other than White males being proposed.

apodino

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Again: Stop with the "both sides do it" because, as we have seen over the past four years (arguably 50+ years) Republicans use this excuse to justify their own bad behavior.

When Republicans make these horrible decisions and go into this name calling and bullying and "do as I say, not as I do" and "my way or the highway" and We The People catch wise and put them in check, the first reaction of Republicans is "Democrats need to reach across the aisle and compromise". Why? You want someone to "reach across the aisle and compromise" why don't you Republicans do it instead of resorting to childish behavior?

I want Republicans to be given a HUGE dose of what they have been subjecting a MAJORITY of Americans to. Republicans expect us all to live up to this ideal but they themselves rarely live up to it. Republicans want everyone else to be the adult but they themselves never are. And, when it is pointed out, Republicans change the subject and start bullying and name calling on another conspiracy theory.

Republicans want the opposition party to be adult. Fine. Until then, hold your own to that same standard. Don't hate and name call and blame others for doing what you all want.

First of all, you quoted me then did not actually respond to what I had to say. You always accuse me of being a republican even though I want single payer and I want a higher minimum wage and stronger anti trust laws and a lot of things that progressives all want. No, I do not want AOC and Bernie to compromise with republicans on this issue. What I expect them to do is to stand up to their own party and demand more from them. They are all good at talking the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk, they suddenly behave like good little sheep and fall right in line with whatever Pelosi tells them to do. I am sick of this. I want progressives to stand up to Pelosi and tell her exactly where to stick it.

As for the Republicans, truthfully speaking the GOP is becoming dead to me. Rejecting science, embracing conspiracy theories, and working for Corporate America when their voting base is working class. These guys are so out of touch. And sadly the Establishment part of the Democratic party is too.

apodino

Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:39 pm

casinterest wrote:

Is experience a good thing? If you are talking about experience in Government, I am not convinced it is. These are the same people that have pursued policies over the past few decades that are responsible for the demise of the Middle Class to the benefit of the Wall Street/Corporate Donor class. In fact, there was reporting today that mentioned a hedge fund that is going public, and they are promoting better access to information that will help them in trading. A couple of the names Biden has floated here are associated with this hedge fund. To me this is corruption at its core.

Also, I would argue that simply putting a bunch of people of color and different genders does not mean the cabinet is representative of America. About half of the cabinet is Ivy Leaguers, and the Ivy League is not representative of American. To me, based on what I have seen so far, Biden is making the Swamp even swampier. Corporate elites and ivy league grads only are not representative of America as a whole.

Here is a link to a segment from the Rising this morning, which lays out the corruption taking place with the incoming administration.

https://youtu.be/1Wp_kl7U9NM

casinterest

Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm

apodino wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Is experience a good thing? If you are talking about experience in Government, I am not convinced it is. These are the same people that have pursued policies over the past few decades that are responsible for the demise of the Middle Class to the benefit of the Wall Street/Corporate Donor class. In fact, there was reporting today that mentioned a hedge fund that is going public, and they are promoting better access to information that will help them in trading. A couple of the names Biden has floated here are associated with this hedge fund. To me this is corruption at its core.

Also, I would argue that simply putting a bunch of people of color and different genders does not mean the cabinet is representative of America. About half of the cabinet is Ivy Leaguers, and the Ivy League is not representative of American. To me, based on what I have seen so far, Biden is making the Swamp even swampier. Corporate elites and ivy league grads only are not representative of America as a whole.

Here is a link to a segment from the Rising this morning, which lays out the corruption taking place with the incoming administration.

https://youtu.be/1Wp_kl7U9NM

Experience is a factor. You need people that are capable of understanding what has occurred and what will occur in Government. It is the same as in private industry. you don't hire someone straight out of Government unless you want to understand how Government works in order to get your company through regulations that exist for a reason.

Much of what Trump wanted to accomplish by "draining the swamp" does not drain the swamp. It creates legal and ethical issues, especially along the lines of environmental regulations.

Despite the lies told by Fox news and the GOP. The middle class is being undermined by the GOP. The unfortunate problem is that due to the push for lower taxes, the Elite Rich are getting monstrously richer, while stagnating the middle class at lower income levels. The Education and health of the middle class is being destroyed by the anti health care anti education agenda of the GOP. The GOP elite do well as jobs are offshored to countries with cheaper labor, yet healthier workforces. The rural US suffers since all the higher educated citizens migrate to the cities , while the elderly suffer in the rural areas, and blame the city dwellers.

Biden wants to bridge these divides with workers unions, education, and healthcare, but will be fought at every level by those that would benefit the most from it , because they blindly follow liars and talking heads intent on keeping them uneducated.

The sad truth is that many of the Ivy league and democratically oriented corporate elites are trying to save the middle class, but they can't because the rural middle class is so bitter that they believe the lies told in the GOP. And that sad cultist movement is what makes them unemployable.

Biden is reaching out, but the wild cult will try to bite the hand that wants to help feed it.
Where ever you go, there you are.