Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Elkadad313
Topic Author

The liberal's solution to rising crime in Seattle

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 am

Residents and business owners are complaining about long police response times, often several hours:

Nov. 20 – Seattle businesses concerned about rising crime rate https://komonews.com/news/local/ballard ... urvey-says
https://www.seattlebusinessmag.com/tour ... ity-sector

Seattle politicians: 'Hmm, several dozen officers have resigned over we don't know what, but now we can cut the police budget by, let's say 17%. Yep, that won't make the rioters and looters very happy but it's a start.

Nov 24 – Seattle cuts police budget by 17%.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/af ... 7-n1248795

Aaron747

Re: The liberal's solution to rising crime in Seattle

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 am

This is precisely why ‘defund’ had less than a 30% approval rate, even amongst Dems.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LCDFlight

Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 am

Only extraordinarily wealthy people could afford to be that dumb. This is something I've observed personally. Poor people are the ones calling the cops, their calls going unanswered. Meanwhile, rich hypocrites (who are safe and can afford armed security) reduce the police force.

This, in one of the richest cities in the world.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 am

I never understood why one bad cop makes all of law enforcement bad but every city that is under siege has nobody to blame but themselves.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

sierrakilo44

Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:09 am

From a non American point of view,
Perhaps the long response time is because police are tied up doing other things rather than responding to serious crimes that are done in other nations by different groups.

Police can’t respond to real crimes as they’re dealing with non violent drug offenders that are legal or dealt with by health professionals in other nations, freeing up police to deal with actual criminals?

Police are busy dealing with mental health cases which are dealt with by health professionals in other other nations, allowing police to deal with actual criminals?

A whole bunch of minor traffic offences and infringements are dealt with by council (or municipal in the US) staff, not police who are then tasked with responding to actual criminals?

That’s why you response times are so slow.

Sokes

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:57 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Perhaps the long response time is because police are tied up doing other things rather than responding to serious crimes that are done in other nations by different groups.

...non violent drug offenders...
...mental health cases...
...minor traffic offences and infringement s...

That can work for big cities.
In low population density areas, if politics wants to show police presence on the road, police must have a variety of tasks.

Do police departments in big cities have specialized police men, e.g. people with extra qualification in psychology?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

LCDFlight

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:11 am

Sokes wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

...non violent drug offenders...
...mental health cases...
...minor traffic offences and infringement s...

That can work for big cities.
In low population density areas, if politics wants to show police presence on the road, police must have a variety of tasks.

Do police departments in big cities have specialized police men, e.g. people with extra qualification in psychology?

I would argue that in most instances, a police officer is not empowered to provide psychological healthcare. And (this is important) it is not a psychologist or counselor's role to respond to domestic disturbances, man holding knife threatening self or others, etc. This is the exact reason police exist.

CitizenJustin

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:25 am

NIKV69 wrote:
I never understood why one bad cop makes all of law enforcement bad but every city that is under siege has nobody to blame but themselves.

“Under siege”

Oh, come on........

I know people in some of these cities that are “under siege” and not a damn one of them knows what the right wing media is blustering about. These cities aren’t being torn apart and they’re not a disaster area, which faux news would have you believe. It’s business as usual for 99.9% of people.

maverick4002

Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Are you talking about Bangkok? How is it over there?

Sokes

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 am

LCDFlight wrote:
I would argue that in most instances, a police officer is not empowered to provide psychological healthcare. And (this is important) it is not a psychologist or counselor's role to respond to domestic disturbances, man holding knife threatening self or others, etc. This is the exact reason police exist.

Well, where does mental health problem end and crime start?
One partner threatening with a knife is on the extreme.
What about neighbors call the police because a couple fights. There are young children who show signs of disturbance.
Should the police arrest somebody? Whom?
Should the police order one partner to leave the flat? Whom?

Psychotic people have no insight. Without pressure they are not likely to change. So I'm all for punishment. Obviously councelling can't be done by Mr. Stick, another Mr. Carrot is required.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Aaron747

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:

What do you mean by 'under siege'? That is not a phrase used in any serious reporting. The article noted 'rising crime'. Under siege implies extra police required at all times and it is could be unsafe for citizens to be out for any reason. This is not 1991 South Central or 1980s Bedford Stuyvesant.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

petertenthije

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 am

NIKV69 wrote:

A few bad cops does not make all of law enforcement bad.

Just as well as how a few bad neighbourhoods (or even just city blocks) does not make entire cities bad.

I've never been to Seattle or Chicago. Neither have I had any dealing with US law enforcement except for the immigration desk at various airports. But from this forum you could almost be forgiven from thinking that all law enforcement officers are a joke, and the whole of Seattle and Chicago are worse then Baghdad.

Chill out already! (not aimed specifically at you Nik!)
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

tommy1808

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 am

petertenthije wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

A few bad cops does not make all of law enforcement bad.

How many cops turn in their co-workers for stepping over lines?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

NIKV69

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:27 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Much better than NYC that is for sure.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

bgm

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:34 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. How are the protests over there? Hope the move went smoothly!

luckyone

Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 pm

petertenthije wrote:
I've never been to Seattle or Chicago. Neither have I had any dealing with US law enforcement except for the immigration desk at various airports. But from this forum you could almost be forgiven from thinking that all law enforcement officers are a joke, and the whole of Seattle and Chicago are worse then Baghdad.

Having lived in both, I can tell you that the perception does not match reality. The loudest squawkers are usually people who've never been, and rely on media descriptions, or the TV show Good Times (I'm not making this up, my childhood neighbor literally asked me if "it was like Good Times." I told her to remember that Atlanta was rebuilt after they burned it down in Gone with the Wind). Ironically, these people are also usually the loudest complainers about Fake News.