Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Former French President Dies at Age 94

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 am

Former President of France, Valery Giscard d'Estaing, who helped to integrate Europe and bring France into the modern era has died fron COVID-19 at the age of 94. Giscard was in the hospital due to heart problems several times over the past few months passed away at his family home in the Loire region. He served as President from 1974 until 1981 starting at age 48, making him the youngest French President elected in the 20th century. Liberal reforms during his term included the legalization of abortion, liberalization of divorce, and lowering the voting age to 18. Together with German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt, they helped form a single monetary system called the European Monetary System, which was the predecessor to the Euro. At the age of 18, he joined the French Resistance during World War 2 and helped to liberate Paris from the Nazis in 1944. RIP to a great man in the history of France.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljaze ... ovid-at-94

zkojq

Re: Former French President Dies at Age 94

Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 am

Well I guess it's time for me to stop making jokes about his immortality then.

RIP VGE
First to fly the 787-9

Dutchy

Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:49 am

One of the politicians who has shaped Europe. A special politician: a politician with a vision and the ability to excute.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

cpd

Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 am

Dutchy wrote:
One of the politicians who has shaped Europe. A special politician: a politician with a vision and the ability to excute.

94 is a good age too. RIP.

I really miss these great visionary leaders.

Aesma

Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:52 pm

He was president before my birth but what I find striking is that despite being right-wing the most significant changes during his term are definitely not right-wing, and are in fight still fought by the right in many countries almost 50 years later, whereas in France these matters are completely normal.

An uncle of mine is always talking about the milkman when VGE is mentioned, referring to the rumour he crashed a Ferrari (owned by a friend) into a milkman truck while getting somewhere with an actress as passenger, in 1974.

Of course since then (and his predecessors too) most French president have done similar things so not really surprising.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 am

As a knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim Valéry Giscard d'Estaing was honoured with the traditional "Serafimerrigning" in Riddarholmskyrkan at Riddarholmen i Stockholm.
Valéry Giscard d'Estaing's coat of arm was also moved to Riddarholmskyrkan. https://www.instagram.com/p/CIa-wxZg300/

This is a longer video (as an example) from former German bundespresident Richard von Weizäcker source wikipedia.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... p.vp9.webm
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente