Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

All-time Epic Fail Threads Of A.net CONTINUED

Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:21 am

Hi all,

I am a fairly new user on A.net and scrolling through all the threads in Non-Av, it was really funny seeing how different people were on non-av vs the other forums.

From the thread titled All-time Epic Fail Threads Of A.net, I got a ton of laughs from stories like the FLAIRPORT fiasco, the public apology, Shinkai, and the plane take-off from a conveyor belt. That thread is more than 9 years old now.
Link https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1214933

I was wondering if there were any more recent stories similar to the ones I mentioned above, so I decided to make a continuation to the thread.

Some of those stories got me a bit jealous that I was a little kid when many of those stories happened, especially the snowglobe thread and the Shinkai thread...

ltbewr

Re: All-time Epic Fail Threads Of A.net CONTINUED

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:52 am

Some of the more entertaining and silly threads here are in a distant past, no longer allowed or discouraged as sexist, possibly racist, offensive to GLTBQ's, various ethnic groups or as time went on, were just got too controversial, especially as ownership of the site went to a USA based company. which like social medial sites had to tone them down. Some people left the site, including some volunteer moderators due to harassment or flaming of them further limiting some threads.

Sokes

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:39 am

Grizzly410

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:35 am

Sokes wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1439303

viewtopic.php?t=1409013

OMG the Turkey one.... :faint:

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1409013

Seems like it could've been made by Shinkai :rotfl:

scbriml

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1409013

Interestingly, you could still reply to that thread! :lol:

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:32 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Some of the more entertaining and silly threads here are in a distant past, no longer allowed or discouraged as sexist, possibly racist, offensive to GLTBQ's, various ethnic groups or as time went on, were just got too controversial, especially as ownership of the site went to a USA based company. which like social medial sites had to tone them down. Some people left the site, including some volunteer moderators due to harassment or flaming of them further limiting some threads.

But what I don't understand is how the USA based company that owns Airliners.net is so worried about its reputation when it won't even do simple site-related requests for us? For example liking and polls.

ER757

Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:57 pm

ltbewr wrote:

Are you referring to, among others, the "Would You Hit It" threads? Haven't seen one in a few years, so wondering if what you say is why

Lukas757

Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:35 am

Boeing757100 wrote:

From the thread titled All-time Epic Fail Threads Of A.net, I got a ton of laughs from stories...

For me, the links in the old thread don’t work. I always get to the main page.

NIKV69

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:05 am

Come on the Flairport one is still epic

Sokes

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:25 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Not sure what you refer to. I found this:
viewtopic.php?t=1115675

Antaras

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:37 am

scbriml wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1409013

Interestingly, you could still reply to that thread! :lol:

It was locked a while ago

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Sokes wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1115675

viewtopic.php?t=1113829

scbriml

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

But what I don't understand is how the USA based company that owns Airliners.net is so worried about its reputation when it won't even do simple site-related requests for us? For example liking and polls.

Airliners.net is no longer owned by an American company. Demand Media sold it to VerticalScope/Torstar a Canadian media conglomerate in early 2017.

johns624

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Anything started by the pink boy...

Sokes

Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
Sokes wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1115675

viewtopic.php?t=1113829

That one is indeed interesting. I fluctuated between laughs and feeling sorry. What happened to that guy?
Why would a moderator lock such a topic? Many people enjoyed it.

Somewhere I read that falling in love has similar brain activity like having a compulsion. But then there are many with compulsions. They don't become stalkers.

"Intimate partner stalkers are the most dangerous type.[1] In the UK, for example, most stalkers are former partners and evidence indicates that mental illness-facilitated stalking propagated in the media accounts for only a minority of cases of alleged stalking."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalking

Interesting in the link is also how many different kind of stalkers exist.

Somebody advises that one should approach many women and don't mind rejections. Psychopaths do that. Most people feel rejected if a woman isn't interested. A psychopath says it's her problem, not his problem. Psychopaths have good chances with women.

About Albert Ellis, the famous psychologist:
"Ellis had exaggerated fears of speaking in public and during his adolescence, he was extremely shy around women. At age 19, already showing signs of thinking like a cognitive-behavioral therapist, he forced himself to talk to 100 women in the Bronx Botanical Gardens over a period of a month. Even though he did not get a date, he reported that he desensitized himself to his fear of rejection by women.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ellis

zippyjet

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 am

ltbewr wrote:

Do a search under my profile name. Putting it mildly, I feel I can claim the title "The Eddie Haskell of A-Net." And some of my epic fail threads were in multiple installments.

SL1200MK2

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:13 am

There is that guy who’s obsessed with things that happened in, I believe it was 1989. Really weird stuff.

petertenthije

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:43 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
There is that guy who’s obsessed with things that happened in, I believe it was 1989. Really weird stuff.

Yeah, username 1989worstyear

search.php?author_id=708905&sr=posts

He suddenly stopped posting in march. I can’t help but wonder if he has been taken into medical care, or if he might have committed suicide or something. Odd dude, I do hope he’s doing ok.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:51 am

petertenthije wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Yeah, username 1989worstyear

search.php?author_id=708905&sr=posts

He suddenly stopped posting in march. I can’t help but wonder if he has been taken into medical care, or if he might have committed suicide or something. Odd dude, I do hope he’s doing ok.

Or maybe he realized that 1989 is no longer the worst year - 2020 is.

Speaking of which, I wonder if old Michael Shrimpton thinks Covid is a DVD operation?

FGITD

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:26 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Speaking of which, I wonder if old Michael Shrimpton thinks Covid is a DVD operation?

As luck would have it, he's quite active on Twitter. In fact he just recently wrote the following:

"Sky News has suppressed the awful truth about #Covid19 being a Chinese bio-weapon, developed with assistance from the evil Obama Administration, no offence intended, from the very beginning"

Yes, the old disbarred, conspiracy-filled pedophile is still hard at work. I was genuinely shocked to see that the DVD didn't start all this

petertenthije

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:24 am

FGITD wrote:
I was genuinely shocked to see that the DVD didn't start all this

Maybe last last nazi finally died and Obama took over the organization? It would “explain” why Obama is behind it.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:50 am

ltbewr wrote:

A year or so ago, I started a Meme thread to be a place where Memes could be posted about anything, from the Left or the Right, or in between. It got responses from both left and right... and then the thread was Locked ---- Well, not actually Locked, the tread was scrubbed from the site, as if it had never happened. Seems that pictures worth more than a thousand words, were just too "wordy" I guess. :lol:

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:18 am

scbriml wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Airliners.net is no longer owned by an American company. Demand Media sold it to VerticalScope/Torstar a Canadian media conglomerate in early 2017.

Oh? So did Canada jump the ship and moved to Europe? Because as far as I know Canada is in America? :D ;) :P :old:

zkojq

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:43 pm

That thread where the bloke was writing to his congressperson to stop DL buying Airbuses. I think he might have threatened legal action against DL also?

Virtual737

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:42 am

I'm currently 1/3 of the way through the FLAIRPORT thread. Does anyone know if the movie rights were ever up for grabs?

ACDC8

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:45 am

Virtual737 wrote:
I'm currently 1/3 of the way through the FLAIRPORT thread. Does anyone know if the movie rights were ever up for grabs?

Nah, but they did end up getting married :rotfl:

15 years ago, non-av was the place to be, it was a real community back in Johan's day, now it's just a soulless page of digital boredom. The meet-ups were great even if they weren't aviation oriented, lots of friendships over the years. Just like the planes 15 years ago, the site was way cooler back then. And the Chat Room, that was a total blast.

Then, the "Great Purge" happened, bunch of accounts got deleted and others quite and started their own page. When Paulo (RIP) took over, he was a real good guy, he really tried to keep the community alive after Johan sold it to DM, he'd PM members asking for advice. I do miss him.

As far as the "Would You Hit It" threads, yeah 15 years later, I'd still hit it:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

scbriml

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Oh? So did Canada jump the ship and moved to Europe? Because as far as I know Canada is in America? :D ;) :P :old:

Well, they may wish they could move further away from the USA for a while, but yes of course Canada is part of the Americas. :D

cledaybuck

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:53 pm

scbriml wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Well, they may wish they could move further away from the USA for a while, but yes of course Canada is part of the Americas. :D

That doesn't make them an American company though.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:49 pm

cledaybuck wrote:

Actually it does. Since Canada is an American country VerticalScope is an American company.

Continental America stretches from Murchison Promontory, Nunavut, Canada 71°58′N 94°57′W in the north to Cape Froward, Magallanes, Chile 53°56′S 71°20′W in the south,
to Ponta do Seixas, Paraíba, Brazil 7°8′55″S 34°47′49″W in the east to Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska, United States 65°35′47″N 168°5′5″W in the west.

Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska, United States 65°35′47″N 168°5′5″W

USA is part of America but America does not solely consist of the USA.

cledaybuck

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

Actually it does. Since Canada is an American country VerticalScope is an American company.

Continental America stretches from Murchison Promontory, Nunavut, Canada 71°58′N 94°57′W in the north to Cape Froward, Magallanes, Chile 53°56′S 71°20′W in the south,
to Ponta do Seixas, Paraíba, Brazil 7°8′55″S 34°47′49″W in the east to Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska, United States 65°35′47″N 168°5′5″W in the west.

Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska, United States 65°35′47″N 168°5′5″W

USA is part of America but America does not solely consist of the USA.

No it doesn't. When people refer to ugly Americans, they aren't talking about Brazilians, Mexicans, or Canadians and when people talk about an American company they aren't referring to one located in Chile, Honduras, or Belize. They are referring to people and companies from the United States of America. All you are doing is being pedantic and trying to show how smart you are by mangling the commonly understood meaning of a word.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:44 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Is this Flairport‘s object of desire?

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:10 pm

N14AZ wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

No, a snow globe is his object of desire... :rotfl:

wjcandee

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:28 am

N14AZ wrote:

Boeing757100 wrote:

This is hilarious. The FLAIRPORT advice thread lives on!! (For the uninitiated, it is one of the greatest/worst NonAv threads in A.net, originally begun in CivAv but quickly-moved to Non-Av as it evolved/devolved, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1113829 ) It starts out slow, but gets particularly funny deeper into it.

The photo above is of French singer Alizee, who was the subject of a different Non-Av thread. So not FLAIRPORT's then-obsession.

However, I did a little research based on our then-young-and-smitten friend's later identification of her as having been hired as a dancer in the infamous Old Navy Bermuda Shorts commercial, and describing her role.

Here's the commercial: https://youtu.be/pPBfNkdP5u4

She's not the principal dancer but she's certainly featured, in a piece choreographed by a guy who was a dancer in "Fame".

She's in the pink shorts and fuchsia top under an ivory shirt. He calls it red, but it's not really red. Best shot of her is holding a pose at the end of the video. She's on the far right. Wasn't able to figure out more than that. But since we likely don't care who she is as much as what he was looking at... I say, "meh". Hope he found someone nicer and better. Fascinating how in the tiny, insular world of a particular Florida high school, that was considered by our young friend to be the pinnacle of females, to the point of obsession and self-humiliation. Would love to know that he turned out okay.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:33 am

Flairport will live forever.

Well, its over. Didn't end the way I wanted it to...she told me not to talk to her anymore.

So..lessons learned:
1) keep your thoughts private
2) don't track girls flights
3) be kind
4) don't do anything that would make it appear that you are stalking...I never did actually stalk...

but #1) Keep your thoughts private...if I had abided by that, I would have never had to worry about 2-4!

oh and I also learned that AirTran is the root of all evil when it comes to girls! I'll take Delta thank you!

I'll revisit the situation in a few weeks and if I haven't moved on, I'll talk to her again.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:46 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Flairport will live forever.

Well, its over. Didn't end the way I wanted it to...she told me not to talk to her anymore.

So..lessons learned:
1) keep your thoughts private
2) don't track girls flights
3) be kind
4) don't do anything that would make it appear that you are stalking...I never did actually stalk...

but #1) Keep your thoughts private...if I had abided by that, I would have never had to worry about 2-4!

oh and I also learned that AirTran is the root of all evil when it comes to girls! I'll take Delta thank you!

I'll revisit the situation in a few weeks and if I haven't moved on, I'll talk to her again.

He certainly had a flair for the overdramatic :rotfl:

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:03 pm

Anyone remember "Shinkai" AKA the re-born FLAIRPORT?
viewtopic.php?t=1163615

And how come no one mentioned how that bump to the FLAIRPORT thread back in 2016, 11 years after it closed, was PURE EPIC?