Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Woman Charged With Driving Car Through Protestors in New York City

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:15 pm

A woman was charged with reckless endangerment after using a car to plow through protestors and striking six people on Friday. Kathleen Casillo plowed her car into protestors protesting in solidarity with immigration detainees around 4 pm Friday and the protests started in Times Square. This occured when protestors surrounded Casillo's car while taping and pounding on it and led to the driver panicking and driving forward, striking protestors along the way. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1250993

tu204

Re: Woman Charged With Driving Car Through Protestors in New York City

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Claim self defense? Protestors were clearly showing aggression towards her and her property. Ask me, they were asking for it.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

NIKV69

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:43 pm

tu204 wrote:
Claim self defense? Protestors were clearly showing aggression towards her and her property. Ask me, they were asking for it.

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more. The media has given cover to these people who feel they are justified acting this way. I feel it may just get worse and people will die. Then maybe we can get back to "Peaceful protesting"
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aesma

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 am

Surely the protest was managed badly by authorities, no driving car should have come into contact with it ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Flaps

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:00 am

Aesma wrote:
Surely the protest was managed badly by authorities, no driving car should have come into contact with it ?

If the protesters weren't in the road in the first place they wouldn't have gotten hit. Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

Aesma

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 am

Closing roads for marches is protest 101.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NIKV69

Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:26 am

Aesma wrote:
Closing roads for marches is protest 101.

Can you elaborate on this? I am not totally understanding your statement. If you mean the protesters through their actions well this is where people are going to get hurt. You can't arbitrarily start closing things in the name of a protest. This is were things go off the rails.

Sokes

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:17 am

tu204 wrote:

Are you sure the people who got hurt were the same who were banging the car?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

c933103

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:34 am

Aesma wrote:

Was it a protest pre-communicated with authority?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

af773atmsp

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:56 am

NIKV69 wrote:
tu204 wrote:

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more. The media has given cover to these people who feel they are justified acting this way. I feel it may just get worse and people will die. Then maybe we can get back to "Peaceful protesting"

A person has already died. Charlottesville in 2017 when a white supremacist rammed his car into counter protestors during a Unite the Right rally.

Also, while thankfully not fatal, there was the close call on the 35W Bridge in Minneapolis during a George Floyd protest when a semi driver was somehow on the closed freeway and nearly plowed through hundreds of people.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Redd

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 am

NIKV69 wrote:

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more.

At least 25 deaths in the USA as a result of the political unrest.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rest-acled

NIKV69

Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:35 pm

af773atmsp wrote:

A person has already died. Charlottesville in 2017 when a white supremacist rammed his car into counter protestors during a Unite the Right rally.

Also, while thankfully not fatal, there was the close call on the 35W Bridge in Minneapolis during a George Floyd protest when a semi driver was somehow on the closed freeway and nearly plowed through hundreds of people.

Perfect examples of why once things escalate the protest is no longer a protest and should be shut down. Too bad the media has vilified police when they need the heavy gear to deal with a riot for it results it people dying. Peaceful protest it to remain peaceful if not it can not be allowed to proceed or more people with die but then again how does it go? No justice no peace?

Aesma

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 am

c933103 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Was it a protest pre-communicated with authority?

Well that's what I'm talking about. It was not something random, it was organized, "THE PEOPLE MARCH IN SOLIDARITY WITH ICE DETAINEES ON HUNGER STRIKE". How authorities responded, I don't know.

I used to live next to the Bastille place in Paris and there were marches every other week, well organized, with of course closed streets.