Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Emma Watson "Done with Hollywood."

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:53 pm

https://okmagazine.com/exclusives/emma- ... od-source/

According to the article above, a source tells that "Emma Watson is done with Hollywood." This comes after many allegations of people stating she is "entitled and demanding."
The article claiming she is demanding- https://okmagazine.com/news/emma-watson ... celebrity/

Her last movie was a year ago, so this may signal the beginning of the end of her acting career, not to mention her shying away from acting and towards advocating feminism through HeForShe. She also appears to be tired of Harry Potter and rarely speaks of it anymore.

The article is shady though. It keeps mentioning "A source." What source? Can't they state movie studios or something?

What are your thoughts on this?
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

NIKV69

Re: Emma Watson "Done with Hollywood."

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:49 pm

She is a total cutie. Will miss her but she should do some magazine photoshoots once in a while. If she knows how to manage her money she doesn't have to work anymore.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

A101

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
She is a total cutie. Will miss her but she should do some magazine photoshoots once in a while. If she knows how to manage her money she doesn't have to work anymore.

Yep was going to say the same thing, I e never meet her but from what I’ve heard it dosnt seem to gel. the Potter franchise has set her up, as long as she dosnt blow her money on sex drugs and rock & roll she will be alright

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:11 am

Honestly, she didn't parlay her Harry Potter role into something more substantial. What have she done that's truly a blockbuster? (Beauty and the Beast doesn't count as it's a Disney money making remake).

Maybe she's better off as a feminist activist than a Hollywood starlet.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

KFLLCFII

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:01 am

She's at most about 5 years from hitting the wall.

Hope she planned accordingly.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:14 am

It seems like Hollywood has lost its dominance as well. Today's streaming content is much more mixed in language. origin then ever before.

Streaming today is serials not movie dominated. Hollywood today has the same stars as it had 15 -30 years ago. It is a frozen world.

Virtual737

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:00 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
She's at most about 5 years from hitting the wall..

I think that's the mindset that is / will be the final nail in Hollywood's coffin.

Aaron747

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:13 am

olle wrote:
It seems like Hollywood has lost its dominance as well. Today's streaming content is much more mixed in language. origin then ever before.

Streaming today is serials not movie dominated. Hollywood today has the same stars as it had 15 -30 years ago. It is a frozen world.

And with Netflix and Disney streaming their own movie content as well, the traditional studios look even more like dinosaurs. There was a lot of consternation against Netflix when they opened their own production house in LA, but it's not their fault. The traditional studios are the ones who have failed to adapt - perhaps COVID will spur along the change they need to survive/compete.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

scbriml

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:38 am

olle wrote:

COVID will likely be the thing that kills off traditional cinema.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:20 am

I think for some women like Emma Watson the life of an actor is very stressful. Actresses like her get tired of doing romance or major commercial movies. There is the hard work and long hours of being an major actor. The lack of privacy and limited in doing 'normal' things due to risks of personal security. The sexual harassment and risks of assaults on females in the entertainment industry. The need for and difficulty with personal relationships. She has been an actress since she was young and maybe she is burned out. She did go to a University in the USA and a very competitive one to get into, has become active in the issues of women and other issues using her platform to try to make a better world for all so she has tried to have a broader life. Then there is also the major shifts in film production and distribution, the affects of Covid-19, the pressure for return on investment by investors over the product that is throwing the movie industry and actors into a new position.

B777LRF

Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am

Let's not get carried away. Moviestars gets paid obscene amounts of money for getting 20+ chances in every scene to pretend they're someone else. Real acting takes place on a stage in front of a live audience, and requires real and tangible talent. Having 20 or more attempts to get a single scene right, whilst being enveloped in world of CGI, is nowhere near requiring the same level of talent.

And spare me how "stressful" being a moviestar is. It's frigging nowhere near as stressful as being an impoverished mother living in the slums, or being person who's lost their job due to no fault of their own and are struggling to keep a family together financially, or someone suffering from a debilitating illness. Those are kinds of people who're subject to real stress, not some schizophrenic, self-absorbed, millionaire who's in it for the fame, glory and money. So please dispense with the martyr speech; she's free to walk away from it at anytime and live very comfortable off the interest of her previous earning for the remainder of her life, if that's what she desires. She certainly don't warrant our pity.
Signature. You just read one.

Aaron747

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:09 pm

B777LRF wrote:
And spare me how "stressful" being a moviestar is. It's frigging nowhere near as stressful as being an impoverished mother living in the slums, or being person who's lost their job due to no fault of their own and are struggling to keep a family together financially, or someone suffering from a debilitating illness. Those are kinds of people who're subject to real stress, not some schizophrenic, self-absorbed, millionaire who's in it for the fame, glory and money. So please dispense with the martyr speech; she's free to walk away from it at anytime and live very comfortable off the interest of her previous earning for the remainder of her life, if that's what she desires. She certainly don't warrant our pity.

This is only half true. Stress is relative to one's socialization and life experience. There are a lot of very unhappy people living in large houses with plush furniture - yes, they make their own bed, but if they are not of sound mind they also have to live in it. Many in white collar professions have taken their lives after loss of reputation or security. Arguably someone in a slum who has strong survival skills is better able to cope with sudden stressors than the case I just mentioned.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

readytotaxi

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm

She still has some growing to do, needs to find her path in life. A little Yoga might help her mind set. She is okay for money just needs a sense of purpose, perhaps children?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:17 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:

What does this mean here?

KFLLCFII wrote:
Hope she planned accordingly.

Her net worth is approximately $80mio or so. While that is almost certainly not mostly liquid, this puts her solidly in mid range for a working actress with the time she has in lead/principle roles. A reasonable person can be expected to never work again in that situation, if so desired.

ltbewr wrote:
I think for some women like Emma Watson the life of an actor is very stressful. Actresses like her get tired of doing romance or major commercial movies. There is the hard work and long hours of being an major actor. The lack of privacy and limited in doing 'normal' things due to risks of personal security. The sexual harassment and risks of assaults on females in the entertainment industry. The need for and difficulty with personal relationships. She has been an actress since she was young and maybe she is burned out.

Indeed. I am consistently amused by folks who think that this is somehow an easy or even normal career path.
A job that works you between 30 and 90 days a year and pays what it does. Seldom is the old Aphorism more appropriate...

If it were easy —and easy to get— everybody would be doing it.

scbriml wrote:

COVID will likely be the thing that kills off traditional cinema.

Perhaps. But it is all the same industry. Directors and Producers are crossing the Streaming line all the time now. If you can get cast in mid to high budget feature lengths, getting work in Serials is not more difficult than that.

It is very similar in that way to what has happened in the music industry. There may not be many record shops these days... But there are still bands all over the place.

SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA(W), etc, members are not losing work.

Aaron747 wrote:
And with Netflix and Disney streaming their own movie content as well, the traditional studios look even more like dinosaurs. There was a lot of consternation against Netflix when they opened their own production house in LA, but it's not their fault. The traditional studios are the ones who have failed to adapt - perhaps COVID will spur along the change they need to survive/compete.

True, but less so every day. A lot of the Dinos you mention are fairly well on board at this point. I do think that C-19 pushed this, but it is my opinion that this was always going to happen anyway. Production unit cost actually has not gone down, and Advert revenue is also up YoY. Even most Agencies are doing well(ish). The bigs do not really care how a move or series is distributed, cetaris paribas, so long as the return is where it needs to be and their Rights are protected.

Essentially, Hollywoo is Amazoning the process.

B777LRF wrote:
Real acting takes place on a stage in front of a live audience, and requires real and tangible talent.

Exactly what do you think the word audition means?

I get that she is probably Offer-Only at this point, but no one starts that way. And it is a very easy privilege to lose.

B777LRF wrote:

And spare me how "stressful" being a moviestar is. It's frigging nowhere near as stressful as being an impoverished mother living in the slums, or being person who's lost their job due to no fault of their own and are struggling to keep a family together financially, or someone suffering from a debilitating illness. Those are kinds of people who're subject to real stress, not some schizophrenic, self-absorbed, millionaire who's in it for the fame, glory and money.

What the what?? No. So much no.

I am not going to pick on you for something that is likely out of your wheelhouse, but if you think getting and keeping that work is easy, you would be in for a rude awakening. Working in front of a camera is probably one of the hardest jobs a person can do. Comparing this to someone who is quite adapted to living in a slum —yes, also not desirable— or dealing with an illness they've had for ages is not the same thing. Those are bad, but not close to the whipsaw stress that comes with a very public lifestyle not known for forgiveness. I get that it is easy to look at someone making a lot of money and say to oneself 'that is easy' if you have not lived the gig. We all do that to some extent.

As for being in it for fame, etc... I know nobody who enjoys that. The public have this ridiculous notion that their entitled to pry into literally every aspect of a professional actor's life, and frankly, do not react well to requests for privacy. This is the almost polar opposite of what you allege.

People do not do this job because they enjoy tourists recognizing them in public. They do it because playing a character is so ingrained in their professional identity that they likely would not fathom wanting to do something different. If you have never been on a live stage, it is impossible to explain what that is like, so I will not try. I can just say that the money and days off are just about the furthest thing from your head when you close that scene more that character than the writer had in mind.

There are primadonnas here, sure. But that is only the same or less than any other industry. IRL, working actors are more focused on being castable in the future and not being cut, or worse, left with an eternal and public reminder of shitty work. Most of the world's workers do not have that stress to deal with.

Which is why this...
B777LRF wrote:
Let's not get carried away. Moviestars gets paid obscene amounts of money for getting 20+ chances in every scene to pretend they're someone else.... Having 20 or more attempts to get a single scene right, whilst being enveloped in world of CGI, is nowhere near requiring the same level of talent.

If you use up 20 takes, you are not a screen actor. You are unemployed. And that really does not matter who you are. There is a reason why Jason Statham is a thing these days and Bruce Willis only does B-movies now.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

B777LRF

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:37 pm

A well phrased reply, DSN, and you seem to have some insight into that sordid industry. But your tirade leaves out one very important fact, namely choice. The desolate mother living in the slums didn't chose to live there; the person contracting a debilitating illness did not chose so and; the unemployed breadwinner did not chose to get fired. One the other hand, every single actor has actively chosen that way of living, and is well aware of all that goes with it.

So, I'm sorry, but my level of sympathy for a millionaire actor does not register at all, not in the slighest. If it's so damn hard on the little darlings, they can always quit and get a real job.

And I'll see your audition and raise you a "job interview", which is essentially the same thing.
Signature. You just read one.

KFLLCFII

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:39 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

It means that her marketable beauty will be no more, and she will begin aging quickly like milk.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

WIederling

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:56 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

It means that her marketable beauty will be no more, and she will begin aging quickly like milk.

Which is really only relevant in Hollywood's domain of Silicone stuffed "beauty".

in other regions you can be a successful actor till you croak.
Murphy is an optimist

Virtual737

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:00 pm

B777LRF wrote:
So, I'm sorry, but my level of sympathy for a millionaire actor does not register at all, not in the slighest. If it's so damn hard on the little darlings, they can always quit and get a real job.

You could almost say the same for commercial pilots. Many think they are overpaid for the work they do. Others, in the know, don't and wouldn't begin to say they are.

The next time one chooses to get drunk and chooses to still try and fly, I'll try the comparison with the "desolate mother living in the slums" tack and see what response I get. I expect many in the industry will tell me the job isn't easy, they didn't have a choice but to turn to drink and should be supported by all with every sympathy ;)

KFLLCFII

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:15 pm

WIederling wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Which is really only relevant in Hollywood's domain of Silicone stuffed "beauty".

Which she said she is "done".

WIederling wrote:

There's always the nagging-housewife on a sitcom or the against-better-judgment-whose-partner-always-has-to-get-her-out-of crap detective on a cop drama.

scbriml

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:15 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Perhaps. But it is all the same industry. Directors and Producers are crossing the Streaming line all the time now. If you can get cast in mid to high budget feature lengths, getting work in Serials is not more difficult than that.

Of course, I was talking more specifically (admittedly from a UK perspective) about the high street cinema.

My local town has one grotty Odeon and a small, very up-market independent cinema that charges "West-end prices". The Odeon is currently shut and has only been open for a few weeks since March. The independent cinema is also currently closed, but it is part of a larger entertainment complex that will hopefully survive. I honestly can't remember the last time we went to the cinema. I certainly don't miss going to the Odeon, and we only went to the independent one for special occasions or if they were showing a film we both really wanted to see (last one there being "Le Mans '66" last December).

ps I just remembered the last film we saw at the cinema was "1917", so that could even be last December! So basically, we haven't been to the cinema for a year and we used to go weekly.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TWA772LR

Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:47 pm

She can marry me and fly for free!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WIederling

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:34 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
WIederling wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

Which she said she is "done".

WIederling wrote:

There's always the nagging-housewife on a sitcom or the against-better-judgment-whose-partner-always-has-to-get-her-out-of crap detective on a cop drama.

Captured audience. never managed to jump the cultural divide?
Murphy is an optimist

luckyone

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Of course, I was talking more specifically (admittedly from a UK perspective) about the high street cinema.

My local town has one grotty Odeon and a small, very up-market independent cinema that charges "West-end prices". The Odeon is currently shut and has only been open for a few weeks since March. The independent cinema is also currently closed, but it is part of a larger entertainment complex that will hopefully survive. I honestly can't remember the last time we went to the cinema. I certainly don't miss going to the Odeon, and we only went to the independent one for special occasions or if they were showing a film we both really wanted to see (last one there being "Le Mans '66" last December).

ps I just remembered the last film we saw at the cinema was "1917", so that could even be last December! So basically, we haven't been to the cinema for a year and we used to go weekly.

Traditional cinema has had challenges that predate COVID pandemic, and those are entirely related to cost. I’ve mostly stopped going to the movies more than a handful of times per year because one ticket nowadays costs more than the cost of the DVD—and I know in six months it will be included in a service I’m already paying for, or my household of three can rent it digitally for less than the cost of one soda at the theater. That doesn’t mean that studios will be in trouble, indeed the opposite. With the advent of streaming there is now MORE things to watch, such that my Netflix queue has had things on it since 2012 that I’ve never actually watched because something else was always added. There will still be something special about going to the theater to see a film, but for me that’s only worth paying for two to three times per year, which is vastly different from when I was a kid and we would go a few times a month. COVID has also demonstrated that big films can still be successful, just distributed in a different way.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

Well Helena Bonham Carter aged well, who knows.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Kiwirob

Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:10 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

She’s only 30, she’s pretty, not beautiful and Kate Beckinsale is still the most beautiful women alive at grand old age of 47.

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:16 pm

B777LRF wrote:
A well phrased reply, DSN, and you seem to have some insight into that sordid industry.

I learn more every day. I am curious though... What is particularly sordid about it? The number of quality escapes I have seen working in aerospace are at least a match for any of the unsavory bits of Entertainment...

B777LRF wrote:
leaves out one very important fact, namely choice. The desolate mother living in the slums didn't chose to live there; the person contracting a debilitating illness did not chose so and; the unemployed breadwinner did not chose to get fired. One the other hand, every single actor has actively chosen that way of living, and is well aware of all that goes with it.

Does it though? Life can be ugly without being particularly difficult. It may seem strange, but I think we are talking about two different things. It is easier to pull oneself out of a slum and into middle class than it is to go from being middle class to a significantly wealthy multi hundred hundred millionaire. Try it if you do not believe me.

That does not mean that middle class was less pleasant. Just that going from being, say an acting student to a nationally famous household name is probably the hardest thing anyone you —or I— knows has ever done. I do not really see a lot of utility in comparing that to a 3rd world situation. Or in thinking they are over-paid.

B777LRF wrote:
And I'll see your audition and raise you a "job interview", which is essentially the same thing.

Having done a lot of both, I can tell you they are rarely similar. An audition has elements of interview, but there is often a lot more to it. Most jobs you interview for also will not require a Demo Reel.

KFLLCFII wrote:

Ok, I thought that, but was not sure. That would certainly be true in Modeling and to a smaller extent, commercials casting. But while the deck is very much indeed stacked against middle aged women, there is more work than ever for that group. Things are not great there, but it is not fifteen years ago either. The streaming explosion has done wonders for almost everybody in the industry.

Really the biggest thing holding a woman back these days is having reality television or pornography on the resume. I have always been curious as to the second; the skin prejudice seems more hypocritical than anything else I have seen. But then, I am new at this, so there is that...

WIederling wrote:

Explain Margo Martindale then. There is casting for literally almost any look you can think of. There are inescapable paradigms, to be sure. But there is certainly work to be found.

Virtual737 wrote:
You could almost say the same for commercial pilots. Many think they are overpaid for the work they do. Others, in the know, don't and wouldn't begin to say they are.

The next time one chooses to get drunk and chooses to still try and fly, I'll try the comparison with the "desolate mother living in the slums" tack and see what response I get. I expect many in the industry will tell me the job isn't easy, they didn't have a choice but to turn to drink and should be supported by all with every sympathy ;)

Yep. I always think you can tell the difficulty and stress of a job by the prevalence of substance abuse.

scbriml wrote:

Indeed. I am embarrassed to admit this, but even working in this business, I can say that you have been to the cinemas more recently than I.

A few years back, I bought a monthly subscription to the Pantages Theater, over there in Hollywoo. It was good for every new show for a year, and cost about $440, US. At first I wanted to balk at that, but I later reasoned that it was not terribly different to taking my kid to the local Arclight every month. I always thought plays were more expensive, but between concessions and non-matinee rates for cinemas, the rate is not terribly different.

I figured it was a good trade. I have a fairly competent home theater setup. But nowhere near enough floor space to fit the cast of Angry Inch...

luckyone wrote:
Traditional cinema has had challenges that predate COVID pandemic, and those are entirely related to cost. I’ve mostly stopped going to the movies more than a handful of times per year because one ticket nowadays costs more than the cost of the DVD—and I know in six months it will be included in a service I’m already paying for, or my household of three can rent it digitally for less than the cost of one soda at the theater. That doesn’t mean that studios will be in trouble, indeed the opposite. With the advent of streaming there is now MORE things to watch, such that my Netflix queue has had things on it since 2012 that I’ve never actually watched because something else was always added.

Absolutely. Cinematic presentation has been suffering a general decline for over a decade now. It is no coincidence that the rise of high quality, high budget serials has also taken off in that time.

luckyone wrote:
There will still be something special about going to the theater to see a film, but for me that’s only worth paying for two to three times per year, which is vastly different from when I was a kid and we would go a few times a month. COVID has also demonstrated that big films can still be successful, just distributed in a different way.

It is also no coincidence that theaters are investing more now in the 'experience' end of the presentation. Somewhat ironic, but the places you would have patronized more often as a kid would likely be smoked out of business by the ones we go to less often these days. It is almost the literal opposite of the Airline customer experience when you think about it...

NIKV69 wrote:

Well Helena Bonham Carter aged well, who knows.

She is no Diane Lane, but it is still very easy to forget how old she is, yes.

Kiwirob wrote:
Kate Beckinsale is still the most beautiful women alive at grand old age of 47.

Maybe if there were no such thing as Jennifer Connelly...

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:42 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Kate Beckinsale is still the most beautiful women alive at grand old age of 47.

Maybe if there were no such thing as Jennifer Connelly...

Connelly is attractive but she has not improved with age, her glory days were The Hot Spot, Rocketeer, Mulholland Falls, Dark City, but since the breast reduction and significant weight loss she’s just not what she once was, whereas Kate has aged like fine wine.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 am

Guys, when have I ever talked about how attractivd Kate Beckinsale is? I was talking about the speculation of Emma Watson quitting. Please, everyone, be on-topic otherwise the thread will be locked...
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

Aesma

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 pm

Hasn't she already said that like 2-3 years ago ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TSS

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Guys, when have I ever talked about how attractivd Kate Beckinsale is? I was talking about the speculation of Emma Watson quitting. Please, everyone, be on-topic otherwise the thread will be locked...

Okay then, in summation: An at-best-meagerly-talented actress who was praised to the heavens as a child for merely being able to hit her marks and say her lines correctly in ten takes or less finds out to her dismay that the adequate performance bar is much higher for adult actors than it is for kids and that "cute" as a kid doesn't always translate into "cute" as an adult (see Jerry Mathers and Tina Yothers for examples) decides to make a big, splashy announcement that she's "Done with Hollywood" only to receive the sound of crickets as a response. Does that about cover it, or did I forget something?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Aaron747

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 am

TSS wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Okay then, in summation: An at-best-meagerly-talented actress who was praised to the heavens as a child for merely being able to hit her marks and say her lines correctly in ten takes or less finds out to her dismay that the adequate performance bar is much higher for adult actors than it is for kids and that "cute" as a kid doesn't always translate into "cute" as an adult (see Jerry Mathers and Tina Yothers for examples) decides to make a big, splashy announcement that she's "Done with Hollywood" only to receive the sound of crickets as a response. Does that about cover it, or did I forget something?

And as stated, it doesn't really matter either way. She's worth $80 million, likely has HP residuals, so if she's smart, she can make that work for a long time. If not, she'll piss it away and be miserable as others have done.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:43 pm

TSS wrote:
Does that about cover it, or did I forget something?

If anything, you have likely covered more than what was there. I will give you points for being very specific. I find rants are much more entertaining that way.

Kiwirob wrote:
Connelly is attractive but she has not improved with age, her glory days were The Hot Spot, Rocketeer, Mulholland Falls, Dark City, but since the breast reduction and significant weight loss she’s just not what she once was, whereas Kate has aged like fine wine.

You are certainly spot on about her best look being in that era. I personally liked Dark City best for all that. She has lost weight, but I never heard about a reduction. And I do think she has a certain refined look that is not exactly common these days. I am always surprised to remember she is pushing 50 now.

Aaron747 wrote:
And as stated, it doesn't really matter either way. She's worth $80 million, likely has HP residuals, so if she's smart, she can make that work for a long time. If not, she'll piss it away and be miserable as others have done.

Indeed. The articles quoted read like trash rumors —at best— and do not sound like what I have heard —admittedly 2nd hand— in my own circles. Silent treatment? Yeah, I will assume the unnamed 'source' here is someone who just does not like her. Also a thing that is known to happen in these parts...

Anyway, yeah. Since when is 80 million in the bank not a good enough reason to retire? If I had had that sort of money ten years ago, I sure as hell would have.