Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Ok this is it. No politics! Just burgers. Let us have the epic debate.

In N Out - I love it! Fresh and awesome.
Whataburger - Awesome. I love their chicken biscuit too.
Del Taco - A very underrated burger. Love it.
Culvers - Overrated and bland.
Burger King - A classic.
Wendy's - Very good.
McDonalds - Ehhh
Five Guys - Hot or miss but the design is not that great.
Fatburger - I think one of the best.
Smashburger - like them but you have to cook it perfectly or it doesn't taste good.
Shake Shack - Good but they try to be like an In N Out and over cook the burger.
Red Robin - hit or miss but the one in GYR is amazing!

Go!!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:46 pm

I could not disagree more on Culvers, I find they have the best burgers of any chain. You have also omitted Jack in the Box (Average at best) as well as White Castle, Krystal and Sonic, granted I've never had those last three.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:03 pm

T18 wrote:
I could not disagree more on Culvers, I find they have the best burgers of any chain. You have also omitted Jack in the Box (Average at best) as well as White Castle, Krystal and Sonic, granted I've never had those last three.


You are correct and figured it would be a check and balance. I am a huge fan of Jacks. I love their ultimate Cheeseburger, breakfast stuff and those gross Tacos. I am a NYer and sad to say I forgot the belly bombers but white castle is a slider not really a burger. Krystal is ok and Sonic is a step below In N out. I still think Culvers burgers are average, their fried cheese and custard is excellent.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
M564038
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Illegal Burger is the best of course, followed by Munchies, but not the new one on Løkka, they missed the mark. Sometimes you just need it plain and over done like Arken in the old days.
 
M564038
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:16 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 pm

But the single best one I ever had was in, of all places, a place I can’t recall the name of .
In Hamburg.
 
mchei
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 pm

You are some lucky guys on the other side of the pond! When it comes to burgers for take away, we have the big two here in Germany: McD and BB.
We sure have restaurants and bistros that also offer burgers but not on national level. I do appreciate that we have a diverse offer of Turkish and Arabic kebabs and shawarma, though!
However, as a huge burger fan, I’d love to see more burgers here as well.

Just wanted to let you know that I envy you for the offer you have in the US.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11
 
mchei
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:57 pm

M564038 wrote:
But the single best one I ever had was in, of all places, a place I can’t recall the name of .
In Hamburg.


Was it recently? Close to downtown?
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11
 
hoons90
Posts: 3835
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 pm

In-N-Out: 10/10
Shake Shack: 9/10 (pricey but great)
Five Guys: 9/10 (pricey but great)
Wendy's: 8/10
MOS Burger: 8/10
McDonald's: 8/10 (I have a soft spot for the McDouble, hits the spot and really helped me feel full for cheap during my college years)
Harvey's: 7/10
Wahlburger: 7/10
Fuddruckers: 7/10
White Castle: 7/10
Carl's Jr/Hardee's: 7/10
Burger King: 6/10
A&W: 6/10
Quick: 5/10
Lotteria: 4/10
Krystal: 3/10

Edit: forgot A&W and Wahlburger
Last edited by hoons90 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:10 pm

We only have McDonalds and Burger King (called Hungry Jack's here in Australia, after the original franchisee, Jack Cowin). Sorry, just remembered we have a few Carl's Jr too, mostly at airports, and pretty average.

I conceptually prefer BK, but worked out that the mayo leaves my mouth all greasy. So McD's of those two, even though I did work there as a teen.

In the US, I've only tried Five Guys and Shake Shack. Five Guys is overall my preferred, although I agree it can be hit and miss. I've visited some good stores (Albany NY, Boston downtown) and less good (Savannah GA in January was disappointing). A little grungier than Shake Shack though.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5432
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:29 pm

McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)
Burger King 7/10
Mos Burger (from Japan) 8/10
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:40 pm

We have White Spot up here, and their burgers are excellent, with my favourite being the Mushroom Bigger Burger. And if you have kids, the Pirate Pack is a must.

They have a sister brand, Triple O's, and their burgers are also up there as well, though it is of a lesser quality as it is the fast food brand of the main chain.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:48 am

I like Five Guys the best of the chains, but I haven’t tried them all listed here. I like In n Out, but I don’t quite get the hype as the best thing ever.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
johns624
Posts: 3654
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:09 am

c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 am

johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.


Their best burger was the McDLT it was real good.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
LMP737
Posts: 6227
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:31 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Ok this is it. No politics! Just burgers. Let us have the epic debate.

In N Out - I love it! Fresh and awesome.
Whataburger - Awesome. I love their chicken biscuit too.
Del Taco - A very underrated burger. Love it.
Culvers - Overrated and bland.
Burger King - A classic.
Wendy's - Very good.
McDonalds - Ehhh
Five Guys - Hot or miss but the design is not that great.
Fatburger - I think one of the best.
Smashburger - like them but you have to cook it perfectly or it doesn't taste good.
Shake Shack - Good but they try to be like an In N Out and over cook the burger.
Red Robin - hit or miss but the one in GYR is amazing!

Go!!


Sooo, how many stints do you have? ;)
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
LMP737
Posts: 6227
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 am

Best burger that I've ever had was at The Cheesecake Factory. Then I looked up the fat and cholesterol and have not had one since. lol
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5432
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 am

johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.

McDonald's here also axed Quarter Pounder to promote Signature Collection
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:53 am

Mmmmmm, burgers.

Burger King - whopper, while its a decent low quality burger, its way over priced here in Canada.
Five Guys - love it, super cheesy and super beefy.
White Castle - well, its White Castle and darn tasty.
Wendy's - I find the toppings are usually to overpowering and the bun cold.
McDonalds - while I get the craving for a Big Mac every once in awhile, its way over priced so I'll usually grab a McDouble for $2.
Red Robin - I find their burgers really good but the locations up here usually just p!ss me off that it makes me boycott them for awhile lol.
Bobby's Burger Palace - Yeah, no question, the best.
GR's Burgr - Gordon does not know anything about burgers.
In 'N' Out - simple, classic, cheap and darn good.
ShakeShack - only been there once, wasn't overly impressed, will try it again though.
A&W - salty and overpriced.
Fatburger - tastes like A&W but even more overpriced.
Wahlburgers - wasn't too impressed, but I do like their burgermelt.
Carl's Junior - pretty good for the price.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:10 am

johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.


Add beetroot (pickled beet) and it would be an Australian McFeast.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1748
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:38 am

In Australia

McDonald's (6/10) A bit plain, but good enough and readily available

Hungry Jacks (Burger King) (4/10) Not gross but there's always something about their burgers that leaves me unsatisfied.

Carl's Jr (6/10) Okay burgers, great shakes, not too keen on their chips (fries)

Grill'd (9.5/10) Great burgers, bit on the expensive side, I'm still a bit salty with them for deleting my favourite lamb Burger (Nick the Greek) but the Baa Baa Burger is almost as good.

5 Boroughs (7/10) Decent, bit expensive, the menu isn't that great.

Others I've tried

Mos Burger (AU and JP) Not too bad but been a while so not rated

Shake Shack (SG) Tried once while transiting at SIN, they didn't have my favoured option, but was okay.

Lotteria (JP) Went once didn't enjoy as much as Mos Burger.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:01 am

Louis’ Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut is on my burger bucket list.

We also have a local chain called Vera's, if you're ever in the Metro Vancouver area, give it a try if you want a decent burger.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7232
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:17 am

A good hidden spot if you're in Atlanta (it's five minutes on MARTA from the airport) - the burger at Taco Pete in East Point is amazing for a fast food type burger. They put some spices on that burger that make it absolutely delectable.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14490
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:50 am

Honorable mention and one I always miss from Japan:

The ultimate zeppin cheeseburger at Lotteria - they guaranteed refunds if it didn't meet with expectations when it first came out.

Image

Another huge winner is Oahu's Kua Aina burger - their burgers on Kaiser roll are just perfect. They have several locations in Japan too.

Image
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7916
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:45 am

If you're in Ontario, Burgers Priest is a not too bad of a joint. There's another burger shack, stand alone up by Wasaga Beach (can't remember the name of it) thats really good.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
afcjets
Posts: 3675
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:06 am

I am not sure they exist anymore anywhere but Hamburger Hamlet was really good. One of the few places that would serve ground beef medium rare.
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:19 am

LMP737 wrote:

Sooo, how many stints do you have? ;)


You would think a few but heart is in good shape for a guy my age with some high blood pressure that I am working on lowering naturally.

LMP737 wrote:
Best burger that I've ever had was at The Cheesecake Factory. Then I looked up the fat and cholesterol and have not had one since. lol


I almost forgot the Widow Maker burger at Claim Jumper that thing is food porn.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13416
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Ok this is it. No politics! Just burgers. Let us have the epic debate.

In N Out - I love it! Fresh and awesome.
Whataburger - Awesome. I love their chicken biscuit too.
Del Taco - A very underrated burger. Love it.
Culvers - Overrated and bland.
Burger King - A classic.
Wendy's - Very good.
McDonalds - Ehhh
Five Guys - Hot or miss but the design is not that great.
Fatburger - I think one of the best.
Smashburger - like them but you have to cook it perfectly or it doesn't taste good.
Shake Shack - Good but they try to be like an In N Out and over cook the burger.
Red Robin - hit or miss but the one in GYR is amazing!

Go!!


No Burger Fuel???? WTF is wrong with you for missing them out.

I'm quite partial to Five Guys and will always hit them up when I'm in the UK.
Wendy's have always been my favorite US burger chain in NZ.
Carls Jr is absolute garbage but you missed them from your list.
Shake Shake has never lived up to the hype or the price, it's just not that good!
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13416
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:03 am

Kent350787 wrote:
We only have McDonalds and Burger King (called Hungry Jack's here in Australia, after the original franchisee, Jack Cowin). Sorry, just remembered we have a few Carl's Jr too, mostly at airports, and pretty average.

I conceptually prefer BK, but worked out that the mayo leaves my mouth all greasy. So McD's of those two, even though I did work there as a teen.

In the US, I've only tried Five Guys and Shake Shack. Five Guys is overall my preferred, although I agree it can be hit and miss. I've visited some good stores (Albany NY, Boston downtown) and less good (Savannah GA in January was disappointing). A little grungier than Shake Shack though.


You're burger staved compared to NZ, in the bad old days we only had McDonalds, Burger King arrived next, followed by Wendy's and Carls Jr. We have two local chains BurgerFuel and Burger Wisconsin. BurgerFuel have franchises in the Middle East. I'm sure they will invade Aussie one day and bring there burger goodness to your shores.

To top it all off we have the mightily Fergburger, only one location in Queenstown, with a waiting time of 60 minutes minimum regardless of the time of day or day of the year.

The best burger in Norway is the double cheese burger from Hekkan in Stavanger.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13416
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 am

johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.


The best burger McD's have ever made was the KiwiBurger.

Image

I also really like the McD's double sausage and egg mcmuffin, but McD's where I live stopped serving breakfast a few year ago.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Burgers from the big chains usually leaves me cold and dissatisfied. BK used to do some rather good burgers, but over time quality has plunged. McD is more consistent, but then again it's not that hard to be consistently shitty. Carl's JR is acceptable, but really nothing to write home about.

So if I want a burger I'll either make it myself (always the best), or pay what it costs to get a really nice one. That usually means going local, and 've had some really great burgers at small mom and pop places, diners or restaurants, and would seek out one of those every time the craving hits, rather than hit one of the chains. One of the best burgers I ever had was at a sportsbar place in downtown Seattle.

But nothing beats a home made burger, and it's one of the easiest meals to make yourself.
Signature. You just read one.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1890
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I also really like the McD's double sausage and egg mcmuffin, but McD's where I live stopped serving breakfast a few year ago.

Really? Breakfast is popular enough to now be served all day in the US.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19776
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:22 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Burgers from the big chains usually leaves me cold and dissatisfied.


Agreed. If we buy out, we buy from a local, independent place called Half Man, Half Burger. Their burgers are very good and their cheese & chilli fries are amazing.

But, generally, I prefer to do my own using Donald Russell 200g ribeye steak burger, cooked medium.
Image
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13344
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Ok this is it. No politics! Just burgers. Let us have the epic debate.

In N Out - I love it! Fresh and awesome.
Whataburger - Awesome. I love their chicken biscuit too.
Del Taco - A very underrated burger. Love it.
Culvers - Overrated and bland.
Burger King - A classic.
Wendy's - Very good.
McDonalds - Ehhh
Five Guys - Hot or miss but the design is not that great.
Fatburger - I think one of the best.
Smashburger - like them but you have to cook it perfectly or it doesn't taste good.
Shake Shack - Good but they try to be like an In N Out and over cook the burger.
Red Robin - hit or miss but the one in GYR is amazing!

Go!!


I look at this list and all I see is cheap and easy. Sure some have ok runs at a burger. Some of these I have never had ( Del Taco,Fatburger) , but Red Robin doesn't belong on this list to me. Those burgers are actually made to order, and do not come off an assembly line.

I prefer local places that spend some time on the ingredients and the cooking. I also prefer a burger that is thick and juicy, Most fast food doesn't qualify.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
Clipper727
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Five guys is my #1 for sure. Has anyone tried Freddys Steakburgers? They are pretty good too. They also have amazing Cheese Curds. Awesome frozen custard too. =)
 
vrbarreto
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:37 pm

No mention of Wimpey and their take on American burgers? I quite liked their freshly cooked approach.. Also is Carl Junior the one that is mentioned in Idiocracy?The best burger I have ever had is from a local place called Bearded Brothers.. The Juicy Lucy is to die for...
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:40 pm

casinterest wrote:



I look at this list and all I see is cheap and easy. Sure some have ok runs at a burger. Some of these I have never had ( Del Taco,Fatburger) , but Red Robin doesn't belong on this list to me. Those burgers are actually made to order, and do not come off an assembly line.

I prefer local places that spend some time on the ingredients and the cooking. I also prefer a burger that is thick and juicy, Most fast food doesn't qualify.


You are right about the thickness of the fast food chains though Carls are thick. Also some fast food makes them as you order like Wendy's and In N Out.

Kiwirob wrote:

No Burger Fuel???? WTF is wrong with you for missing them out.

I'm quite partial to Five Guys and will always hit them up when I'm in the UK.
Wendy's have always been my favorite US burger chain in NZ.
Carls Jr is absolute garbage but you missed them from your list.
Shake Shake has never lived up to the hype or the price, it's just not that good!


I don't like in NZ LOL! Went on their site they look good! Carls isn't as bad as you say but as I stated they are hit or miss depending on where you go. We have two near me in AZ one is great and the other sucks and they are literally 2-3 miles apart.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 pm

If I get a McD's quarter pounder, bring it home and put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds, it's really, really good.
Not a big fan of Burger King
Wendy's isn't bad, I prefer them over BK for sure
Red Robin was pretty good last time I had one but it's been years - I don't eat beef very often so if I go there I usually get a Whiskey River Chicken sandwich
Five Guys and In 'N Out are pretty much the same in my opinion, good but not up to the hype. Again, it's been a long time since I had one at either place

Back in the "olden days" when I lived in the Chicago afea there was a chain called Steak and Shake that was darned good - don't know if they are around anymore. There are none in the Seattle area anyow
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7617
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Whataburger. If you disagree you're a communist.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14490
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:



I look at this list and all I see is cheap and easy. Sure some have ok runs at a burger. Some of these I have never had ( Del Taco,Fatburger) , but Red Robin doesn't belong on this list to me. Those burgers are actually made to order, and do not come off an assembly line.

I prefer local places that spend some time on the ingredients and the cooking. I also prefer a burger that is thick and juicy, Most fast food doesn't qualify.


You are right about the thickness of the fast food chains though Carls are thick. Also some fast food makes them as you order like Wendy's and In N Out.

Kiwirob wrote:

No Burger Fuel???? WTF is wrong with you for missing them out.

I'm quite partial to Five Guys and will always hit them up when I'm in the UK.
Wendy's have always been my favorite US burger chain in NZ.
Carls Jr is absolute garbage but you missed them from your list.
Shake Shake has never lived up to the hype or the price, it's just not that good!


I don't like in NZ LOL! Went on their site they look good! Carls isn't as bad as you say but as I stated they are hit or miss depending on where you go. We have two near me in AZ one is great and the other sucks and they are literally 2-3 miles apart.


You haven’t truly experienced burgers until you’ve had them all over the world.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

You haven’t truly experienced burgers until you’ve had them all over the world.


I agree. I meant to say I don't live in NZ so I couldn't try Kiwirobs burgers but they look good.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15654
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:42 pm

As to the 'chains'.
White Castle - As a cousin called them 'shadows between a bun' or Brillo pads (pot scrubbing steel wool pads), The go to those with the pot munchies and/or drunk. A bit overpriced for what you get vs. BK or McD's. Good 'crinkle cut' fries.
Burger King - Whopper has too much bun, but they are 'flame' grilled and you can 'have it your way' as an old jingle says, I ask no mayo on mine. Usually use coupons so get Whopper meal for $5 and other deals with burgers. Good fries if done right, depends on the store.
McD's.- Quarter pounders ok, but not as good as BK. Small burgers bland. Good fires.
Wendy's - Usually go for the $.4.44 for 4 deal. Regular burger best of the big 3 chains.and can have it 'your way' (no mayo).
2 'premium' burger chains I like are The Habit and Smashburger.
Red Robin has their 'Pub Burgers' that are pretty good and at a reasonable price with plank/steak style fries you can get 2nds on (and you can have it with a beer).
 
johns624
Posts: 3654
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

The best burger McD's have ever made was the KiwiBurger.

Image.
A few years ago when I was in Wellington, I almost got one of those at the McD's near the foot of the incline but I'd already ordered before I saw it. Maybe next time... That's the only time I've gone into a fast food restaurant in a foreign country (Canada doesn't count) but we were in a hurry.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
We only have McDonalds and Burger King (called Hungry Jack's here in Australia, after the original franchisee, Jack Cowin). Sorry, just remembered we have a few Carl's Jr too, mostly at airports, and pretty average.

I conceptually prefer BK, but worked out that the mayo leaves my mouth all greasy. So McD's of those two, even though I did work there as a teen.

In the US, I've only tried Five Guys and Shake Shack. Five Guys is overall my preferred, although I agree it can be hit and miss. I've visited some good stores (Albany NY, Boston downtown) and less good (Savannah GA in January was disappointing). A little grungier than Shake Shack though.


You're burger staved compared to NZ, in the bad old days we only had McDonalds, Burger King arrived next, followed by Wendy's and Carls Jr. We have two local chains BurgerFuel and Burger Wisconsin. BurgerFuel have franchises in the Middle East. I'm sure they will invade Aussie one day and bring there burger goodness to your shores.

To top it all off we have the mightily Fergburger, only one location in Queenstown, with a waiting time of 60 minutes minimum regardless of the time of day or day of the year.

The best burger in Norway is the double cheese burger from Hekkan in Stavanger.


We've got a couple of local chains, such as Burger Project, which is really good. A PP mentioned Grill'd as well, but I've never bothered to try, as we have at least 4 non-chain burger joints in walking distance
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1856
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
McDonald's 4/10 (Could double the score if they still offer Big N' Tasty but meh)

They have the Quarter Pounder with cheese Deluxe that has tomatoes and lettuce on it...close.


The best burger McD's have ever made was the KiwiBurger.

Image

I also really like the McD's double sausage and egg mcmuffin, but McD's where I live stopped serving breakfast a few year ago.


Is that like a McFeast with egg and some weird salad? :P

McD's in Australia has included the beetroot for its McFeast, but never gone the whole aussie buger "with the lot" ie. lettuce, tomto, beetroot, cheese, bacon, fried egg and pineapple ring.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14261
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Quick Supreme Cheese (discontinued in France)
BK Double Steakhouse
McD Big Mac

Went to Jack in the Box in California last year as it was basically the only thing opened to eat late (late for the US). Never seen anything as greasy.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
LMP737
Posts: 6227
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:24 am

NIKV69 wrote:

I almost forgot the Widow Maker burger at Claim Jumper that thing is food porn.


Claim Jumper is just plain dangerous.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
andz
Posts: 7777
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I had a delicious Fatburger at City Stars Mall in Cairo a few years ago, I think the place had just opened because there were Americans working in the store and all the staff were really jumping.

Hardee's in Nairobi Airport international departures serves a great Jalapino chicken burger, hot and spicy, every time I flew through NBO since it opened I had one with a Tusker lager or three.

When I was still travelling for work I would try the room service burger at every hotel I stayed in, they all seemed to have the same bland patty.

Here we have McD and BK, several local chains like Steers, Spur, Wimpy and Rocomama's, if you include chicken then of course there is Nando's.

My favourite is the chicken prego burger I get at my local pub, freshly made and always hot and tasty.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 pm

ER757 wrote:
If I get a McD's quarter pounder, bring it home and put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds, it's really, really good.
Not a big fan of Burger King
Wendy's isn't bad, I prefer them over BK for sure
Red Robin was pretty good last time I had one but it's been years - I don't eat beef very often so if I go there I usually get a Whiskey River Chicken sandwich
Five Guys and In 'N Out are pretty much the same in my opinion, good but not up to the hype. Again, it's been a long time since I had one at either place

Back in the "olden days" when I lived in the Chicago afea there was a chain called Steak and Shake that was darned good - don't know if they are around anymore. There are none in the Seattle area anyow



Yes, they are. Throughout the Midwest and the South, they remain very popular. They did attempt to gain a foothold in California, but of the five they made, only two remain. For those of us in the CA's Southland, the one at Las Vegas' South Point Casino is nearest. And that is really too bad. I thoroughly enjoyed this when I lived in the DFW Metro, as they are open 24, have good shakes, and are better than typical for fast food. The Chilli & Chilli Mac spaghetti are also worthy of note.


TWA772LR wrote:
Whataburger. If you disagree you're a communist.


Maury Povich has determined this to be...

True.


Doubly so in the case of their Frisco Melt the addition of Spice Ketchup.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.
 
User avatar
zippyjet
Posts: 5189
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:32 pm

Re: Burger Wars!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 pm

I've been very lucky with Five Guys. They would be my second best. My fave is Guy's Burgers found on Carnival Cruise Ships. Micky Dees isn't the best but for some reason I crave it several times a year. Out of the main list Whataburger comes in third, Micky Dee's 4th. Red Robbin IMO just doesn't do it for me. Arby's would rank with Whataburger. Now, I'm a strange bird. I don't like cheese burgers but I so love pizza burgers. At least in the states, a burger with no cheese is the exception rather than the rule. The key is to have one freshly cooked. Every once in awhile a hamburger (sans cheese) is what I call an archived burger....Prepared in advance and from a holding warming tray. Toppings wise, Five Guy's you can get literally the kitchen sink on your burger. I love plenty of fried onions, mushrooms, peppers and tomato's. I'm making myself hungry.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!
 
NIKV69
Topic Author
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Burger Wars!

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:04 pm

LMP737 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I almost forgot the Widow Maker burger at Claim Jumper that thing is food porn.


Claim Jumper is just plain dangerous.


I am an addict I think that place is amazing.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drew777, Google Adsense [Bot], JJJ, luckyone, marcelh and 60 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos