Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

No criminal left behind: Trump pardons kick into overdrive

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:27 am

Trump Pardons 15, Commutes 5 Sentences, Including GOP Allies
The pardons included former Republican Reps. Duncan Hunter of California and Chris Collins of New York

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/nati ... s/2518596/

" President Donald Trump on Tuesday pardoned 15 people, including Republican allies, a 2016 campaign official ensnared in the Russia probe and former government contractors convicted in a 2007 massacre in Baghdad."

"Collins, the first member of Congress to endorse Trump to be president, was sentenced to two years and two months in federal prison after admitting he helped his son and others dodge $800,000 in stock market losses when he learned that a drug trial by a small pharmaceutical company had failed.

Hunter was sentenced to 11 months in prison after pleading guilty to stealing campaign funds and spending the money on everything from outings with friends to his daughter’s birthday party."

I'd lol if Duncan Hunter was pardoned but not his wife, whom he blamed for his crimes including using campaign contributions to fly a pet rabbit.. but it'd be 100% on brand for the GOP. :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Re: No criminal left behind: Trump pardons kick into overdrive

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:45 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

I'd lol if Duncan Hunter was pardoned but not his wife, whom he blamed for his crimes including using campaign contributions to fly a pet rabbit.. but it'd be 100% on brand for the GOP. :rotfl:

Looks like she didn't. Womp womp.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1 ... 80704?s=20

SoCalPilot

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:40 am

Trump has left more criminals behind than any other president since 1900. So far Trump has only pardoned 43, compared to 212 for Obama, 189 for Bush, and 396 for Clinton. Only Bush Sr comes close to Trump with just 74 pardons.

bgm

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
Trump has left more criminals behind than any other president since 1900. So far Trump has only pardoned 43, compared to 212 for Obama, 189 for Bush, and 396 for Clinton. Only Bush Sr comes close to Trump with just 74 pardons.

Oh, he’s just starting and has a month to go.

How many pardons are for people with direct connections to him or his family compared to other presidents?

tommy1808

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:40 am

bgm wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

How many pardons are for people with direct connections to him or his family compared to other presidents?

How many had pardoned people for crimes committed on behalf of the same president?

If any of those make it to the Supreme Court, we find out how originalist those judges are, since under the only definition of pardon the founding fathers knew, you couldn´t pardon people for crimes commissioned on your behalf.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seb146

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:32 am

bgm wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

I was going to jump on this bandwagon too. Even Scooter Libby was not pardoned by GWB. He had to wait until king MAGA for that. GWB seems to have a better grasp on criminal law. Few, if any (none?), of those pardoned by Clinton or Obama committed crimes to cover up anything Clinton or Obama did.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:35 am

seb146 wrote:
bgm wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

I was going to jump on this bandwagon too. Even Scooter Libby was not pardoned by GWB. He had to wait until king MAGA for that. GWB seems to have a better grasp on criminal law. Few, if any (none?), of those pardoned by Clinton or Obama committed crimes to cover up anything Clinton or Obama did.

Not a lot of mass murderers either under other presidents. And Duncan Hunter is just an irredeemable criminal who offers no remorse, no lesson learned, no mitigating circumstances. Granted that’s most of the GOP at this point...

marcelh

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:36 am

SoCalPilot wrote:

It’s not the number of pardons, it’s who are being pardoned. Trump has pardoned four former Blackwater Security Consulting (aka US paid mercenaries) who killed innocent people while bringing “freedom” to the Iraqi people...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisour_Square_massacre

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:59 am

marcelh wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:

It’s not the number of pardons, it’s who are being pardoned. Trump has pardoned four former Blackwater Security Consulting (aka US paid mercenaries) who killed innocent people while bringing “freedom” to the Iraqi people...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nisour_Square_massacre

And who could forget the guy that proudly ran a concentration camp—his words—Joe Arpaio

NIKV69

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:59 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
And who could forget the guy that proudly ran a concentration camp—his words—Joe Arpaio

Yea well they weren't concentration camps all those people got their day in court.

You knew he would do this. I am enjoying the media pundits heads exploding.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

FGITD

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Yea well they weren't concentration camps all those people got their day in court.

In his defense, Arpaio is the one who called them concentration camps.

Regardless of what side you fall on, Joe Arpaio is a sick individual. Didn’t bother investigating 3/4 of crimes yet closed the cases, built his own concentration camps, misallocated/stole funds, targeted political opponents, wrongful arrests, let rapists walk free, violated election law, and of course old fashioned racism.

The best thing old Sheriff Joe could do for the good people of Arizona is simply die. And rest assured, if there’s a heaven...he ain’t going.

The fact that this man was triumphed as a hero of the right is pathetic.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 am

FGITD wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

In his defense, Arpaio is the one who called them concentration camps.

Regardless of what side you fall on, Joe Arpaio is a sick individual. Didn’t bother investigating 3/4 of crimes yet closed the cases,

... and apparently he was a big fan of rapists, given his unwillingness to investigate those. No wonder he aligned with Trump so quickly.

Maybe there is a 2024 campaign slogan in it: "Defrauded Medicaid? Slaughtered Children? Vote Trump and send a Text to 88022 with an offer for a pardon!"

best regards
Thomas

ltbewr

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:02 pm

This pardoning of the 4 Blackwater thugs who commuted major human rights violations in a mass murder of a number of unarmed Iraqi nationals in 2007 is the most disturbing and offensive of these pardons. The company under a different name now, is connected with the family of his 'education' cabinet member DeVos, a nasty piece of work. Several of those getting pardons/communications included former Congress members who were convicted of various crimes in office, a former aide, 2 convicted in the Mueller led probes, a person convicted of one of the biggest Medicaid/Medicare fraud cases ever brought and a few pardons/communications were for non-violent drug convictions. By current count, Trump has given the fewest pardons and communications of any recent 1-term President. It is likely the number will grow quickly in the upcoming weeks as Trump leaves office, likely pre-emptive ones to himself, family and others in his maladministration.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/-trump- ... robe-.html

This use and misuse of the power of the pardon and communication of sentence by recent US Presidents has brought up serious issues of political pandering, bribery and failure to use it to deal with real cases of maljustice. Its too bad Trump and recent Presidents didn't commute all those on the US prisons facing or have recently faced the death penalty to life in prison. That would have been the right and moral thing to do with the power. Although consideration of Presidential pardons and commutations are subject to advise by a board in the Department of Justice, far too often they are ignored or bypassed by recent Presidents. I believe, perhaps by Constitutional Amendment, the power of US Presidents to pardon and commute the sentences of convicted criminals needs to be limited and ban pre-empteive pardons.

GDB

Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Blackwater or whatever they are called now, the mini US Einsatzgruppen of the 21st Century.
Of course MAGA and Trump love them.

N867DA

Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

It's the caliber of the people he is pardoning.

He's not a very good person. Likely why he got voted out.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Aesma

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:02 pm

But of course we should all be caring about Hunter Biden.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:13 pm

Aesma wrote:
But of course we should all be caring about Hunter Biden.

Could you imagine the reaction of the republicans if Hunter was convicted, then pardoned by his Dad? :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 pm

The President is just doing his bit to ease prison overcrowding.

All those good people.

Aesma

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:33 pm

bennett123 wrote:

All those good people.

He may one day miss having friends on the inside, though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

SQ22

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Please remember to provide a link to a source when stating facts or make it clear you are posting your opinion.

This thread has been cleaned up and will be locked in case it turns into just another bashing thread.

CitizenJustin

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

“They got their day in court”

Like this makes everything fine and dandy.

petertenthije

Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 pm

bennett123 wrote:

All those good people.

There’s good people on both sides of the bars! ;)
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

alfa164

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:

The fact that anyone would enjoy watching someone's "head explode" - whether literally or figuratively - speaks volumes about the attitudes of this president's fanatical cult.

petertenthije wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
The President is just doing his bit to ease prison overcrowding. All those good people.

There’s good people on both sides of the bars! ;)

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

NIKV69

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:42 am

CitizenJustin wrote:

You break the law you pay the consequences if you don't agree with that well then we will never agree.

alfa164 wrote:

The fact that anyone would enjoy watching someone's "head explode" - whether literally or figuratively - speaks volumes about the attitudes of this president's fanatical cult.

If there is any cult it's the MSM who for 4 years said far worse than myself saying watching their heads explode.

seb146

Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:47 am

NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

You break the law you pay the consequences if you don't agree with that well then we will never agree.

Innocent people don't need pardons. If this is swamp draining, I want my change back!

bgm

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:34 am

NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

alfa164 wrote:

If there is any cult it's the MSM who for 4 years said far worse than myself saying watching their heads explode.

Such as? Please do cite some examples.

ltbewr

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:03 am

Trump has gone into a 2nd round of pardons and communications. They include pardons for Paul Manifort and Roger Stone, 2 lairs conviced in the Mueller investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and the father of Jared Kushiner, who faced years in jail and convicted by (another crook) when Federal Attorney for NJ, Chris Christie on several serious charges including witness tampering with his brother-in-law from testifying. I hope all these sick jerks get subpoenas to appear before a Democrat party led committee and as can't plead the 5th as to some key questions they may ask, shows that Trump deserves criminal prosecution and if convicted, the rest of his life in jail.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/politics ... index.html

alfa164

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:28 am

NIKV69 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

NIKV69 wrote:

All of these Trumpian syncophants, enables, and hangers-on got their day in court, too - and they all either pled guilty, were found guilty by the Judge, or were convicted by a jury.

Now Trump has decided to disregard all those foundations of our Criminal Justice System, and reward them for their criminal activities - and, more likely, for their devotion to him. They broke the law - but you don't seem to care about consequences when it comes to Trump-puppets.

ltbewr wrote:
Trump has gone into a 2nd round of pardons and communications. They include pardons for Paul Manifort and Roger Stone, 2 lairs conviced in the Mueller investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and the father of Jared Kushiner, who faced years in jail and convicted by (another crook) when Federal Attorney for NJ, Chris Christie on several serious charges including witness tampering with his brother-in-law from testifying. I hope all these sick jerks get subpoenas to appear before a Democrat party led committee and as can't plead the 5th as to some key questions they may ask, shows that Trump deserves criminal prosecution and if convicted, the rest of his life in jail.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/politics ... index.html

Even though Trump hasn't issued as many pardons as some of his predecessors, he has rushed into a "forgiveness" spree (or a "thanks-for-covering-up-for-me" spree, depending on how you look at it) for his cronies and syncophants. Indeed, 60 of these 65 recent pardons have been endowed upon members of his own family, campaign, or administration.

"Of the 65 pardons and commutations that Mr. Trump had granted before Wednesday, 60 have gone to petitioners who had a personal tie to Mr. Trump or who helped his political aims..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/us/p ... stone.html

seb146 wrote:
Innocent people don't need pardons. If this is swamp draining, I want my change back!

The swamp-draining idea ended four years ago. Indeed, this administration has embraced and introduced its own corrupt swamp creatures at a previously unimaginable, new level...

:roll:

Tugger

Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:51 am

Yeah, Trump followers have no actual place to go. Just weak repetition of canned lines.

Followers all the way. But I just don't know why they do that still even with his proving that he only helps himself. He a televangelist basically.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Tugger

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:46 am

scbriml wrote:
Could you imagine the reaction of the republicans if Hunter was convicted, then pardoned by his Dad? :rotfl:

Actually this would be completely worth it. I am positive most people would support it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

alfa164

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:53 am

scbriml wrote:

I am pretty sure the Constitution only allows you to pardon you son(s) if your last name ends in "..ump". I remember it from Civics class. Bigly.

Same rule if you want to pardon your father-in-law...

;)

Aaron747

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:54 am

NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

But in this case erasing the consequences is okay...because...'own the libs'? Do you have any idea how stupid that is?

Chris Christie on Charles Kushner:

https://www.facebook.com/FiringLineWith ... 671057399/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tommy1808

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:

FOXNEWS must be the MSN you are referring to, since everything CNN, MSNBC and so on reported turned out to be correct.

But lets not get distracted from Trump pardoning Child murderers. At least there is hope courts will void the pardons for his henchmen, even if that murderous scum gets away.

Best regards
Thomas

Virtual737

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:15 am

I'm hoping that some good will come out of this in that any future President's power of pardon is limited based on the original offence, time served, or some other metric that stops a legally convicted dangerous criminal effectively being given a free pass. The Founding Father's were clearly insightful but probably not even they imagined such a nutter ever being voted into such a powerful postion.

vrbarreto

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:56 am

Virtual737 wrote:
I'm hoping that some good will come out of this in that any future President's power of pardon is limited based on the original offence, time served, or some other metric that stops a legally convicted dangerous criminal effectively being given a free pass. The Founding Father's were clearly insightful but probably not even they imagined such a nutter ever being voted into such a powerful position.

Unfortunately that is closing the barn door after the horse has bolted..

tommy1808

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:56 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
I'm hoping that some good will come out of this in that any future President's power of pardon is limited based on the original offence, time served, or some other metric that stops a legally convicted dangerous criminal effectively being given a free pass. The Founding Father's were clearly insightful but probably not even they imagined such a nutter ever being voted into such a powerful position.

Unfortunately that is closing the barn door after the horse has bolted..

Some of those pardons can probably be void.

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Well Trump has proved he is the most corrupt president ever.
These pardons are for known associates and are political favors. Nothing but swamp water being forced down the throats of American citizens.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

alfa164

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:36 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Not a lot of mass murderers either under other presidents. And Duncan Hunter is just an irredeemable criminal who offers no remorse, no lesson learned, no mitigating circumstances. Granted that’s most of the GOP at this point...

Not everyone. Even conservative California Republicans are appalled at Hunter's pardon:

"Jon Fleischman, publisher of the influential Flash Report and a former state GOP vice chair, is among a crowd of conservative Californians who excoriated the decision on Wednesday. "If the President is going to pardon lawbreakers like Duncan Hunter he may as well pardon the Tiger King. If the bar is that low,'' Fleischman said on Twitter."

"Former state GOP Chair Ron Nehring lambasted the Duncan Hunter decision. “Our elected officials should be held to a higher, not lower, standard than the average citizen, who would never have been pardoned for similar crimes,'' he said. "We have so many great, honorable Republicans who wish to serve for all the best reasons. We don’t have to put up with any crooks in our own party," Nehring also said on Twitter. "Toss the bums out. Make room for the honest and honorable ones. Strong party. Stronger country."

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/12/23/california-conservatives-rebuke-trump-pardon-of-duncan-hunter-1350370

And Ben Mathis-Lilley, writing for Slate, has a perceptive take on the whole disgusting spectacle:

"This all speaks to the larger purpose of modern Republican justice, which is to encourage behavior that enforces and celebrates the supremacy of the tribe, even if it undermines nominally conservative values like free-market competition and the enforcement of military discipline."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/12/trump-pardons-blackwater-war-criminals-congressional-embezzlers-greek-american-hustlers.html

It again proves that one can be truly conservative and still find Trump is an abomination - a deranged, narcissistic sociopath who does not deserve the adulation he receives from his cult.

LMP737

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:11 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

So while you're sitting back enjoying this what are your thoughts on four guys who murdered men, women and children getting a get out of jail free card?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LCDFlight

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:38 pm

As a Trump watcher and interpreter, I am surprised he has not pardoned Robert Mueller and Hillary Clinton. Maybe it just hasn't occurred to him. Odd, because troll moves usually occur to him.

seb146

Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:45 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
As a Trump watcher and interpreter, I am surprised he has not pardoned Robert Mueller and Hillary Clinton. Maybe it just hasn't occurred to him. Odd, because troll moves usually occur to him.

Well, that and it is kinda hard to pardon someone who has not committed any crimes....

luckyone

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Well, that and it is kinda hard to pardon someone who has not committed any crimes....

To be nitpicky it requires a conviction.

vrbarreto

Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Perhaps he'll start giving out Monopoly style get out of jail free cards...

NIKV69

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:52 pm

LMP737 wrote:
So while you're sitting back enjoying this what are your thoughts on four guys who murdered men, women and children getting a get out of jail free card?

I never like Blackwater or for that matter 3rd parties in war. They felt they were being attacked what is there to say? Civilians die in war. It is horrible but he pardoned them. What are you going to do? Personally as I have said before I don't like presidential pardons. I believe you get convicted and get fair appeals you do the time. This pardoning thing has gotten terribly politicized but instead of crying about it why doesn't someone do something about it? Well because the Dems would do the same thing if given the chance. Or make pardons for white collar stuff. I hate this cliche but stop hating the player already and change the game.

alfa164

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

I never like Blackwater or for that matter 3rd parties in war. They felt they were being attacked what is there to say? Civilians die in war. It is horrible but he pardoned them. What are you going to do? Personally as I have said before I don't like presidential pardons. I believe you get convicted and get fair appeals you do the time. This pardoning thing has gotten terribly politicized but instead of crying about it why doesn't someone do something about it? Well because the Dems would do the same thing if given the chance. Or make pardons for white collar stuff. I hate this cliche but stop hating the player already and change the game.

That's not a cliche; it is an excuse. And a poor one, at that.

There is a reason - a good reason - why Presidential pardons exist; it is just that our Founding Fathers never anticipated the type of self-serving, inside-dealing antics that this administration has exhibited. The problem is the player - not the game.

Knowing that Herr Trump has used 60 of these 65 pardons to excuse either family members, cronies, or co-conspirators.... find us an instance where "Dems would do the same thing", in anywhere those numbers, when they were President, and had the chance. Go ahead... we can wait...

:roll:

Dutchy

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Who cares about these pardons anymore? Is anyone even remotely surprised that Trump is doing this? I would not be surprised if he pardons his family, lawyer and himself for all crimes committed if he could. Trump has done a lot of things in the last 4 years.
Fact is, he will be gone in less than a month. If I were not a Trump supporter in the US, I would focus on that. Whatever things he pulls now, as a lame-duck president, well it doesn't really matter anymore. If you are against him exercising his right, then make sure the President - the office, not the person - can't give out pardons anymore, so change the law.

My two cents....
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seb146

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:17 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Prey tell, what have Hillary and Mueller been convicted of? Set that side by side with what Stone, Manfort, and those who murdered Iraqi citizens were convicted of.

seb146

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:21 am

Dutchy wrote:
Who cares about these pardons anymore?

EVERYONE who is not in the MAGA bubble. There are pardons that are questionable other presidents have given. Those are acceptable. Questionable, but acceptable. These people have actually committed crimes on behalf of their boss and been convicted for committing crimes on behalf of their boss. There is a yuge bigly difference.

Dutchy wrote:
Is anyone even remotely surprised that Trump is doing this?

No. Sad and desperate as these pardons are, no. No one is surprised.

LCDFlight

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:48 pm

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I think this is untrue. There are examples to the contrary. People like Richard Nixon received pardons as an immunity for a "potentially criminal" actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon_of_Richard_Nixon

Trump could pardon HR Clinton and Robert Mueller by the same rationale.

cpd

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:09 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Solution is to rendition these four to an all expenses paid holiday overseas by luxury private jet.

Unlawful combatants can be dealt with that way.

The Republicans are still in power, they can change thus game now for the better.