Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Bought my son a new tablet, now what?

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:35 pm

I gave into the dark side of parenting and got my 5 year old a new tablet for Christmas. It's a cheap knockoff brand designed for kids but uses a Android/Google software platform. When I first signed in, I had to use my Google account to get started and apps to download.

Having said that, I would like to remove my Google account from this tablet, I do have a credit card stored under Google Pay so I am concerned about him potentially "accidentally" buying stuff. There is a Chrome browser, so I want to put limitations on the browser to limit any websites along with blocking inappropriate YouTube videos. I have plowed through the settings and I can't find where to set up these limitations. I read something about adding his profile to my Google account so that he can use that profile and settings, but I am struggling to identify how to do that.

Any tips on how to set up parental security on his tablet without messing up my own account?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Bought my son a new tablet, now what?

Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:50 am

Here's how you can set up parental security on the tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCe3XD ... e=emb_logo

You can also install an app for more indepth parental control.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-p ... d-1133716/
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

tu204

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:17 am

Make sure time access is severely limited and abided by?
Unfortunately gave my now 10 year old son access to tablets at about 5 (makes parenting easier, eh?, now it's a pain to take it away, lock it out or not give access. He would easily just spend all day on it if able.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:50 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Thank you for those links, those are helpful

tu204 wrote:
Unfortunately gave my now 10 year old son access to tablets at about 5 (makes parenting easier, eh?, now it's a pain to take it away, lock it out or not give access. He would easily just spend all day on it if able.

I think locking him out crosses the line of mutual trust. I have tried to do my best at limiting his screen time. When I tell him he has 5 or 10 minutes remaining, he's very good at respecting those commands and putting away the phone/tablet. But the key is to give him the early warning.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Redd

Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:29 am

I've kept my daughter away (now 5) from electronics and have spent a lot of time with her on Lego, puzzles, chess, drawing & painting, running a pretend restaurant (with a menu, cash register & balance sheets). She's not interested in phones or tablets unless it's to watch one of her cartoons. I'm super happy about that.

I've also set up a crypto trading account with her 2 months ago, and I'm teaching her about charts, investing, saving, buying the dips and selling the tips etc,.. She's pretty interested in it especially when she realizes how many more toys she can buy herself if she keeps going. She's turned $100 USD I gave her at the start into $190, percentage-wise much better than I've done in the same period. :rotfl:

dtw2hyd

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Create another Google account, never use your main mail account to setup devices. Android has lot of parental control options, its a learning curve, kids generally figure out a way around it, you have to plug the hole. Have a hard limit on daily usage. Don't let them get addicted one site or game.
All posts are just opinions.

Gew

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Expect him to spend more and more time behind the screen, and — subsequently — less and less time in real life. Well, this is my experience. You may of course be blessed with a different one. Technology is cancerous, to some extent.

LCDFlight

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:04 pm

I started early and already wasted at least 10 years of my life on screen time. Maybe closer to 20 years.

It is much better to live in the real world, and make a list of things you want to do online, then do it, and log off. Pointless roaming online is thought cancer. So I suggest you make your youngster do exactly that. Make your kid write down what they are going to do online, before logging off, and they will remain conscious of their actions online instead of falling victim. Avoiding the technology is no longer a real option. This may help your kid... new ideas are needed in this area.

DL717

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:43 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
I gave into the dark side of parenting and got my 5 year old a new tablet for Christmas. It's a cheap knockoff brand designed for kids but uses a Android/Google software platform. When I first signed in, I had to use my Google account to get started and apps to download.

Having said that, I would like to remove my Google account from this tablet, I do have a credit card stored under Google Pay so I am concerned about him potentially "accidentally" buying stuff. There is a Chrome browser, so I want to put limitations on the browser to limit any websites along with blocking inappropriate YouTube videos. I have plowed through the settings and I can't find where to set up these limitations. I read something about adding his profile to my Google account so that he can use that profile and settings, but I am struggling to identify how to do that.

Any tips on how to set up parental security on his tablet without messing up my own account?

An iPad would have given you complete control over what you describe. If you own an iPad yourself, you wouldn’t have any worries as you can lock it all down and control the purchases as well..
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

DL717

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:45 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

tu204 wrote:

I think locking him out crosses the line of mutual trust. I have tried to do my best at limiting his screen time. When I tell him he has 5 or 10 minutes remaining, he's very good at respecting those commands and putting away the phone/tablet. But the key is to give him the early warning.

He’s 5. Mutual trust? Please.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

tu204

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

tu204 wrote:

It's 50/50.

Sometimes yeah sure. Other times "just a couple more minutes" (over and over again, till the argument and tears start).
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

casinterest

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Is the tablet compatible with family link?

if so you can control using google accounts, without having your actual account on the device.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

douglesmiller

Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:00 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I hope this app is still available for use? Because the mentioned link doesn't work So can you please share another valid source where I can easily download these apps. thanks in advance.

stlgph

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Set his internet connection to the HotSpot on your phone.
You can then turn your HotSpot off or on to get his ass off the screen.
You can also set it so that the only APPS and games on there serve as some sort of education and learning purpose.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Aaron747

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:37 pm

DL717 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

tu204 wrote:

He’s 5. Mutual trust? Please.

Seconded...the way I was raised, there was no negotiating on anything till 12 or so.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:29 pm

douglesmiller wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I hope this app is still available for use? Because the mentioned link doesn't work So can you please share another valid source where I can easily download these apps. thanks in advance.

Which link? I'm still able to access both links, actually.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:20 am

LittleFokker wrote:

I would take it off him and give it back when he's 9. 5 year olds should be outside playing not inside on a tablet.

douglesmiller

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
douglesmiller wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Which link? I'm still able to access both links, actually.

Thank you so much for your reply and I have also got solved my issue I just checked those link's on other browser and it's working well.

JJJ

Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 am

DL717 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

An iPad would have given you complete control over what you describe. If you own an iPad yourself, you wouldn’t have any worries as you can lock it all down and control the purchases as well..

So does android.

Family link is what the OP is looking for. It's android native and very intuitive to use.

Sokes

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 am

We bought our first smartphone when my son was 10, about two years ago. I wish I had never bought it.
That's true for my son as well as myself. I used to read such a lot of books.
On the other side posting here makes me think about topics in depth and makes me realize unfounded assumptions and gaps in knowledge. So there is a positive side to it. Though at the moment I sit on the computer, not the smartphone.

On the positive side my son recently said that he has not as much interest in gaming as before. These last months he found an artist who was willing to teach him drawing, became friendly with a guy which has a snooker table and also spent more times outdoor.

I think you should take it away again.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?