Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread -2021

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:33 pm

From 5th December 2021 to 17th April 2022 RCI Grandeur of the Seas will be home porting in Bridgetown, Barbados.

Ports that she will be visiting include:

-Scarborough, Tobago
-Port Of Spain, Trinidad
-Castries, St. Lucia
-St. George's, Grenada
-Kingstown, St. Vincent

ArchGuy1

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

The Vasco de Gama will sail for the Nicko Cruises, which is the German based brand for Mystic Cruises. The ship will help expand the Nicko footprint and has already done so under Cruise & Maritime Voyages. Some good news, while many ships about her age are being scrapped.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... uises.html

bennett123

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 pm

It is somewhat smaller than many of the scrapped ships.

I suspect that this may be a factor in it's favour.

ArchGuy1

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:18 pm

bennett123 wrote:
It is somewhat smaller than many of the scrapped ships.

I suspect that this may be a factor in it's favour.

Are the Rotterdam and Amsterdam also smaller than many of the scrapped ships?

DocLightning

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 pm

So I have been reading about a new generation of LNG-fuel cell vessels. It appears that for now with RCCL's new Icon class, the fuel cells will be primarily tasked with the hotel load, while conventional internal combustion engines that can burn LNG or conventional fuel oil will be tasked with the propulsion load. I'm not sure if this will be strict because most modern cruise ships connect all of their generators (be they diesel or gas turbine) to a single electric bus and then both the hotel and propulsion loads are drawn from that.

But this could be a true game changer. LNG fuel cells can offer a 70% reduction in fuel consumption over ICE engines because they directly tap the transfer of electrons in the oxidation reaction without any mechanical losses and minimal thermal losses. In addition, because the reaction is mediated by the fuel cell, byproducts such as soot and NoX are not generated.

So I am excited to see these ships.

bennett123

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 pm

I was referring to the ships scrapped recently.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 am

Was the burning of the RMS Queen Elizabeth talked about by average everyday people on the street when it happened in January 1972, since it made headline news across the world?

bennett123

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 am

I think that the man in the street would have been aware of it to a greater extent than if it happened to a modern ship.

Firstly it was an ocean liner, not a cruise ship with all that implies.

Secondly, news was communicated differently in those days. Newspapers were much more important and there were only 3 TV stations in the UK. The TV News on BBC1 was at 6.00 PM and 9.00 PM daily and 5.45 PM and 10.00 PM on ITV. Consequently, the TV News was a fixed event in your daily life.

I think that at the time people were shocked to see this huge ship destroyed by fire. It was not something that people would have believed COULD happen.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 am

bennett123 wrote:
I think that the man in the street would have been aware of it to a greater extent than if it happened to a modern ship.

Firstly it was an ocean liner, not a cruise ship with all that implies.

Secondly, news was communicated differently in those days. Newspapers were much more important and there were only 3 TV stations in the UK. The TV News on BBC1 was at 6.00 PM and 9.00 PM daily and 5.45 PM and 10.00 PM on ITV. Consequently, the TV News was a fixed event in your daily life.

I think that at the time people were shocked to see this huge ship destroyed by fire. It was not something that people would have believed COULD happen.

Was the Costa Concordia more well known by the average person on the street when it capsized about 9 years ago today?

bennett123

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:03 am

It was well known at the time, probably not to the same degree.

Again, I think that the circumstances of it being lost made it memorable. Firstly because the Captain was showing off and secondly because the Captain was supposed to be last to leave drew public attention.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
What’s equally confusing is that I’ve read a few different sources for the “outcry” that all seem to be copy/pasted from each other, seemingly originating on one blog with no primary source.. And there’s no actual evidence that the alleged outcry did anything to save the SS Rotterdam. It just seems there was more desire and more importantly, funding, put up for Rotterdam

Here is a source to back up my claims about the outcry that was seen with the SS Nieuw Amsterdam being scrapped.
http://ssmaritime.com/nieuwamsterdam-II.htm

So this one sentence is what you’re basing your argument on?

“ There was a massive outcry in The Netherlands and it was suggested that she returned to Rotterdam for the use as a hotel and museum.”

Where are the sources for this comment? There’s nothing. As far as I know the writer of this blog might have made it up.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:39 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
What’s equally confusing is that I’ve read a few different sources for the “outcry” that all seem to be copy/pasted from each other, seemingly originating on one blog with no primary source.. And there’s no actual evidence that the alleged outcry did anything to save the SS Rotterdam. It just seems there was more desire and more importantly, funding, put up for Rotterdam

Here is a source to back up my claims about the outcry that was seen with the SS Nieuw Amsterdam being scrapped.

“ There was a massive outcry in The Netherlands and it was suggested that she returned to Rotterdam for the use as a hotel and museum.”

Where are the sources for this comment? There’s nothing. As far as I know the writer of this blog might have made it up.

The writer is an industry expert who worked in the industry since 1960 and even owned a shipping company at one time.

FGITD

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The writer is an industry expert who worked in the industry since 1960 and even owned a shipping company at one time.

Even a professional needs to be able to cite a source, otherwise it’s just anecdote or opinion. No news articles, interviews, or primary sources to back up the claim makes it questionable especially because he worked in the industry. I’m an airline professional, but I can’t go writing “the retirement of the 747 was a welcome relief to the aviation world, and was celebrated by children throwing rocks at the retired frames” because there’s simply no source to back it up.

johns624

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:41 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Was the Costa Concordia more well known by the average person on the street when it capsized about 9 years ago today?
Not even close. Costa isn't that well known in the US since it is a European line. The QE was an ocean liner that regularly called at New York before her retirement. She also transported untold thousands of servicemen to Europe in World War Two.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Not even close. Costa isn't that well known in the US since it is a European line. The QE was an ocean liner that regularly called at New York before her retirement. She also transported untold thousands of servicemen to Europe in World War Two.

Do you personally remember a lot of talk about the Queen Elizabeth burning down by the average person on the street when it happened?

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Here are some articles article that talks about the challenges faced with converting SS Rotterdam into a hotel, museum, and tourist attraction.
http://ssmaritime.com/Rotterdam-V-P8.htm
http://www.castlesoftheseas.nl/rotterdam-v-2.html
http://www.cruiseshipodyssey.com/ss-rotterdam-v-1959/

johns624

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:57 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Do you personally remember a lot of talk about the Queen Elizabeth burning down by the average person on the street when it happened?
I was just a kid at the time but I remember it being on the evening TV news...it was a different time back then...

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:58 pm

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

I was just a kid at the time but I remember it being on the evening TV news...it was a different time back then...

Do you personally remember the sinking of the Costa Concordia being talked about?

bennett123

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm

Yes, but mostly how they managed to run it aground, and that the normal convention of the Captain being last to leav apparently did not happn.

I suspect if it had been a fire with no loss of life that it would have been less of a splash.

OA260

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

bennett123 wrote:
the normal convention of the Captain being last to leav apparently did not happn.

Certainly a diplomatic way of putting it ;) lol

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm

James Cameron's Titanic was the first movie to exceed a billion dollars at the box office and led to an increased interest in ocean liners in general by the average person on the street for a while. In the case of Titanic, it certainly increaed interest in that ship permnantely. What led to that happening back in 1997 and 1998?

OA260

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Another one bites the dust

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25 pm

OA260 wrote:
Another one bites the dust

This is the Grand Celebration, built in 1987.

bennett123

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 pm

Somewhat smaller than most of the recent scrappings, but the same age band mid 1980's to mid 1990's.

ArchGuy1

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:19 am

The Marco Polo has been beached at Alang after sailing for 55 years and this is a ship that would have been a worthy candidate for preserving as a hotel and museum ship like what was done with the SS Rotterdam.
https://www.cruisehive.com/ms-marco-pol ... ched/45898

northstardc4m

Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42 pm

It seems the MV Magellan (nee Holiday for Carnival) has been sold for scrap as well... She is the last of the Holiday class, and when gone it will leave the Carnival Ecstacy as the oldest Carnival new build surviving. Magellan is reportedly headed for Alang for expected beaching in February.

Recent videos from Aliaga show Sovereign is about 80% gone, Astor about 40% and Fantasy maybe 65% gone, work on Monarch has accelerated and she is being cut into heavily now.

https://fb.watch/31zbAV5MGK/

https://youtu.be/JWNfh0l-mlQ

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

ArchGuy1

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:09 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
It seems the MV Magellan (nee Holiday for Carnival) has been sold for scrap as well... She is the last of the Holiday class, and when gone it will leave the Carnival Ecstacy as the oldest Carnival new build surviving. Magellan is reportedly headed for Alang for expected beaching in February.

Recent videos from Aliaga show Sovereign is about 80% gone, Astor about 40% and Fantasy maybe 65% gone, work on Monarch has accelerated and she is being cut into heavily now.

https://fb.watch/31zbAV5MGK/

https://youtu.be/JWNfh0l-mlQ

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Have not seen any work done on Carnival Inspiration or Imagination.

OA260

Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 am

Costa Toscana Floats Out at Meyer Turku

The 5,224-passenger Costa Toscana has floated out to the outfitting pier at the Meyer Turku shipyard in Finland, according to a press release.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... turku.html

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:47 pm

The construction of the Sydney Opera House from 1959 to 1973 saw massive cost overruns, political scandals, and the resignation of the architect Jorn Utzon. However, since it opened in 1973, it has become an iconic landmark and a commercial success. Similar cost overruns and political scandals were seen with the conversion of the SS Rotterdam from 2004 to 2010 into a hotel and museum ship in her namesake city, but the ship also became a success afterwards and the Dutch people are proud of this ship. Both projects had to deal with a similar set of circumstances, but in the end, they were worth it. The pilings holding the Sydney Opera House are placed in saltwater, so they have to deal with the same conditions as an static ship docked at a pier like the Queen Mary. Hopefully that this can mean ships like the SS United States and MV Albatros, which are undergoing conversion work or feasibility studies for conversion into static attractions will pull through and become successful, even if similar circumstances to the Sydney Opera House and SS Rotterdam occur.

petertenthije

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:14 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
the Dutch people are proud of this ship.
We are?

If you ask anyone in the Netherlands, except in Rotterdam area itself, to name Dutch ships... I’d be surprised if half of them mentioned the SS Rotterdam. It’s not something we are particularly proud of, or are particularly ashamed of... it’s just not on anyone’s mind.

For reference, the vessels that will be named are most likely old ships from the 17th/18th century and their replicas / modern namesakes. Think VOC liners or admiral Michiel de Ruyter’s flagship.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Both projects had to deal with a similar set of circumstances, but in the end, they were worth it.
Jury’s still out on that one.

There is a the massive shortage housing in the Netherlands in general and the Randstad area (including the greater Rotterdam area) in particular. I think most people, certainly those not on the property ladder, would have preferred Woonbeheer to have done what they were supposed to do: Build houses instead of party boats.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The pilings holding the Sydney Opera House are placed in saltwater, so they have to deal with the same conditions as an static ship docked at a pier like the Queen Mary.
There’s a huge difference between steel reinforced concrete pilings covered in sand/mud, and steel hulls exposed to the elements.

FGITD

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 pm

Except the pilings are almost certainly reinforced steel surrounded by concrete. And in due time, they will also need work. Hardly comparable to a steel ship hull that at the start of any conversion will have already spent decades in the water.

Thanks to the pandemic, the already bleak financial case to be made for a ship conversion is looking even worse. Take for example your beloved Rotterdam. Almost €200 million over budget, and supposedly still has yet to make a profit. And it was still in reasonably decent condition at the start.

I’d love to see the SS United States saved, but there’s just no way. At this point the rust and asbestos are probably what’s keeping her afloat. It would almost certainly be cheaper to build a lookalike, purpose built hotel.

Seeing what happens to some of these ships makes me thankful that the Normandie unceremoniously went down in port. It’s better to see old photos of the glory days than new photos of them wasting away

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:30 pm

petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
We are?

If you ask anyone in the Netherlands, except in Rotterdam area itself, to name Dutch ships... I’d be surprised if half of them mentioned the SS Rotterdam. It’s not something we are particularly proud of, or are particularly ashamed of... it’s just not on anyone’s mind.

For reference, the vessels that will be named are most likely old ships from the 17th/18th century and their replicas / modern namesakes. Think VOC liners or admiral Michiel de Ruyter’s flagship.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Both projects had to deal with a similar set of circumstances, but in the end, they were worth it.

There is a the massive shortage housing in the Netherlands in general and the Randstad area (including the greater Rotterdam area) in particular. I think most people, certainly those not on the property ladder, would have preferred Woonbeheer to have done what they were supposed to do: Build houses instead of party boats.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The pilings holding the Sydney Opera House are placed in saltwater, so they have to deal with the same conditions as an static ship docked at a pier like the Queen Mary.
There’s a huge difference between steel reinforced concrete pilings covered in sand/mud, and steel hulls exposed to the elements.

Did the average person on the street in the Netherlands know about the SS Rotterdam in the early 2000's?

petertenthije

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Did the average person on the street in the Netherlands know about the SS Rotterdam in the early 2000's?

No

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:37 pm

petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
We are?

ArchGuy1 wrote:

ArchGuy1 wrote:

How were things different with the Sydney Opera House from the SS Rotterdam, even though that project also faced political scandals and ended up way over budget as well?

bennett123

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Not clear if you regard past cost over runs and political scandals as a selling point.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
We are?

ArchGuy1 wrote:

ArchGuy1 wrote:

How were things different with the Sydney Opera House from the SS Rotterdam, even though that project also faced political scandals and ended up way over budget as well?

One is an iconic building known worldwide, one is a ship which isn’t well know at all.

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
We are?

One is an iconic building known worldwide, one is a ship which isn’t well know at all.

Both the conversion of the SS Rotterdam and construction of Sydney Opera House had massive delays, in addition to political scandals and cost overruns.
Last edited by ArchGuy1 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FGITD

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

This is the wrong conversation to have. The real question afoot here is if you could take the Sydney Opera House, and turn it into an ocean liner, then convert it to to a hotel/museum at a later date.

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 pm

FGITD wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

This is the wrong conversation to have. The real question afoot here is if you could take the Sydney Opera House, and turn it into an ocean liner, then convert it to to a hotel/museum at a later date.

Like the conversion of the SS Rotterdam and the construction of the Sydney Opera House, the construction of the eastern span replacement of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge led to delays, massive cost overruns, and political scandals. The eastern span of the Bay Bridge also has to deal with a brackish water environment and is much larger than a ship like the SS Rotterdam.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... -5-billion

petertenthije

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The eastern span of the Bay Bridge

Have you ever considered becoming a politician? Your ability to change subject when confronted with unpleasant truths is quite impressive! :D

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 pm

petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Have you ever considered becoming a politician? Your ability to change subject when confronted with unpleasant truths is quite impressive! :D

The new Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge has become a local landmark for the area like the SS Rotterdam has become for her namesake city.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:08 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The new Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge has become a local landmark for the area like the SS Rotterdam has become for her namesake city.

Actual Dutch people on this forum have told you that Dutch people just aren’t that into the Rotterdam, your ability to ignore facts is rather Trumpian.

johns624

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:54 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I believe ArchGuy has a trademark on the word "Iconic"...

johns624

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:03 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
the construction of the eastern span replacement of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge led to delays, massive cost overruns, and political scandals. The eastern span of the Bay Bridge also has to deal with a brackish water environment and is much larger than a ship like the SS Rotterdam.

The difference is that the Bay Bridge was a needed piece of infrastructure to replace a damaged segment. It was money well spent. Saving almost anything you have suggested is just a waste of money that very few will use or enjoy. Here's a quick question...you said that you've been to the Queen Mary and USS Lexington (or Yorktown). Was it a nice day? How many people were there? Do you think there were enough for it to be self-supporting? How many visitors do you think they get in the off season or a bad weather day? You also should know that as society gets older, the things that were important to the older generations mean nothing to the younger. I was on a cruise that stopped at LeHavre a few years ago. The vast majority of people went on excursions to Paris that day. Not that many went to Omaha Beach (we did) and it was mainly baby boomers whose fathers fought in World War Two. What was heartening was all the French school children there on school field trips. We also saw a lot of Dutch children at the British cemetery near Arnhem. The sad thing is that they probably know more about what the US and UK did in the war than British and American children.

ArchGuy1

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:11 am

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
the construction of the eastern span replacement of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge led to delays, massive cost overruns, and political scandals. The eastern span of the Bay Bridge also has to deal with a brackish water environment and is much larger than a ship like the SS Rotterdam.

The difference is that the Bay Bridge was a needed piece of infrastructure to replace a damaged segment. It was money well spent. Saving almost anything you have suggested is just a waste of money that very few will use or enjoy. Here's a quick question...you said that you've been to the Queen Mary and USS Lexington (or Yorktown). Was it a nice day? How many people were there? Do you think there were enough for it to be self-supporting? How many visitors do you think they get in the off season or a bad weather day? You also should know that as society gets older, the things that were important to the older generations mean nothing to the younger. I was on a cruise that stopped at LeHavre a few years ago. The vast majority of people went on excursions to Paris that day. Not that many went to Omaha Beach (we did) and it was mainly baby boomers whose fathers fought in World War Two. What was heartening was all the French school children there on school field trips. We also saw a lot of Dutch children at the British cemetery near Arnhem. The sad thing is that they probably know more about what the US and UK did in the war than British and American children.

When I went on the USS Lexington, it started out cloudy and later became partly cloudy. There were quite a lot of people onboard the ship and it was fairly busy with people of all age ranges onboard. That was March 11, 2020, right before COVID-19 shut everything down. As for the Queen Mary, I actually did not go onboard, so I have no idea how many people visited that day. Saw the Queen Mary June 30, 2017

OA260

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 am

Royal Caribbean trademarks 15 names for possible cruise ship venues

Royal Caribbean has started off 2021 getting busy at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/01/15/r ... hip-venues

Cruise Ship Construction Proceeding Despite Continuing Industry Pause

Cruise ship construction is continuing with fitting out progressing on existing projects while work is also commencing on existing orders from the major cruise companies. While the construction timelines and delivery dates have been extended, no large cruise ship orders have been canceled in the nine months since the industry went on pause.

www.maritime-executive.com/article/crui ... stry-pause

ArchGuy1

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:23 am

A few days ago, the first sheet of steel was cut for the Carnival Celebration at the Meyer Turku yard in Finland and will become the second Excel class ship in the Carnival fleet. Celebration is a sister ship of Carnival Mardi Gras and will start sailing from Miami in November 2022. Celebration will have the BOLT roller coaster seen on Mardi Gras, but also some new features specific for this ship. Very exciting ship entering the Carnival fleet soon.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... -ship.html

OA260

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 pm

RCI are selling off the Azamara brand

Royal Caribbean To Sell Azamara Brand To Sycamore Partners

Royal Caribbean Group today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Azamara brand to Sycamore Partners, a private equity firm specializing in consumer, retail and distribution investments, in an all-cash carve-out transaction for $201 million, subject to certain adjustments and closing conditions.

www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/ ... tners.html

OA260

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Saga cruises says all customers must be vaccinated

Anyone going on a Saga holiday or cruise in 2021 must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, the tour operator has said.

Saga, which specialises in holidays for the over-50s, said it wanted to protect customers' health and safety.

The firm said it would delay restarting its travel packages until May to give customers enough time to get jabs.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-55738918

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:17 pm

Concerns are growing over the future of the famous ocean liner Queen Mary, which has an impressive history in both wartime and peacetime. Concerns have rose about the upkeep and condition of the famous ocean liner now in Long Beach around the complex of businesses operating her. A group of supporters say their efforts to raise awareness on this are being ignored. The engineer that looked after the ship for 25 years was dismissed after he said conditions were the worst he ever saw. Urgent repairs are expected to cost $23 million, while further repairs are estimated to cost $200 million. Hopefully, the ship can be restored and proper upkeep can be provided.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/189 ... pbuilding/