Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zkojq

Re: Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread -2021

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Lofoten and Nordstjernen are both on the Norwegian historic register, they will probably end up as excursion ships like MS Sandnes which makes excursion from Stavanger.

Wasn't aware of this but that's good to keep them as working ships.

OA260

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:21 pm

Recently back from one of the Princess UK seacation cruises. I was onboard Regal Princess. Very well organised and included a C-19 test where they swabbed the nose. Waited 30 mins then got all clear. Was great to be back onboard and staff energised to see guests again. All the new protocols very well done and actually better then normal times. Maybe some of the new procedures will stay. Guest speakers were Dr Ranj / Jenny Ryan and performances by Gareth Gates.

Food was the usual great standard and Crown Grill still impresses. Met some great people and loved relaxing out on deck and in the Piazza.

CRJ200flyer

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing about your cruise! Beautiful ship and pictures. Doesn’t look like too many people - how full would you say the ship is if you had to guess? I’m going on the Allure of the Seas soon. Wish they’d just give us the covid test at the dock like you instead of having to get one on our own.

OA260

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:07 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Thanks for sharing about your cruise! Beautiful ship and pictures. Doesn’t look like too many people - how full would you say the ship is if you had to guess? I’m going on the Allure of the Seas soon. Wish they’d just give us the covid test at the dock like you instead of having to get one on our own.

The ship was around 60% capacity and due to this various aspects worked really well. Im not sure how they would work otherwise. For me the dates and itinerary were right as was the timing. I had declined various other opportunities on other lines as I personally was not ready at the time. The C-19 test at the port was a big attraction also and Princess have the system so well streamlined I doubt I would sail without that. Even if I had to pay for it I would not care. The fact it was all set up as part of the boarding / check in process was a big bonus.

OA260

Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:16 am

Celestyal sells cruiseship acquired from Costa in 2020

Greek cruise operator cites focus on regaining momentum after Covid-19 chaos

www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry ... -1-1062279

johns624

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:09 pm

My wife and I have learned that, although we like going on cruises, we're not "cruisers". We follow two cruise channels on Youtube--Don's Family Vacations and Tips For Travelers, plus another couple occasionally. We aren't interested in the shows, sales, spas, etc. on the ship. We just use it as a moving hotel to greatly simplify our planning and logistics.

Ken777

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 am

johns624 wrote:
My wife and I have learned that . . . We aren't interested in the shows, sales, spas, etc. on the ship. We just use it as a moving hotel to greatly simplify our planning and logistics.

I know dhow you feel on most issues. After BA lost our luggage on the way to Rome we had a forced interest in available clothes in the shops, which was minimal. On the positive side we do like the performances. I normally enjoy good musicals or other types of performances, as does my better half, daughter (her husband is a punk rock musician) and the grandkids.

The moving hotel concept is right on. It's so easy to go to the dining room (or buffet), stroll a short distance to watch a show or performance, and then another short stroll to get to our room, grab a shower and hit the bed.

At the same time I love waking up in a new town or city without taking a train or plane. The Med is at the top of my list for that experience.

jetwet1

Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:39 am

OA260 wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

The ship was around 60% capacity and due to this various aspects worked really well. Im not sure how they would work otherwise. For me the dates and itinerary were right as was the timing. I had declined various other opportunities on other lines as I personally was not ready at the time. The C-19 test at the port was a big attraction also and Princess have the system so well streamlined I doubt I would sail without that. Even if I had to pay for it I would not care. The fact it was all set up as part of the boarding / check in process was a big bonus.

I've been on Regal and Royal when full and even then there was no real lines or waiting for a table. Princess did a great job with the traffic flows on the Royal class.

IH8BY

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:50 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I've been on Regal and Royal when full and even then there was no real lines or waiting for a table. Princess did a great job with the traffic flows on the Royal class.

Totally agree on this one. We sailed on Regal in late 2019 and there always seemed to be loads of space - we were really surprised when the captain said we were sailing near full as it never felt like that.

Due to sail on Sky Princess in 2022 so we'll see if the changes have affected this at all.

Whilst there have apparently been some issues with the wider rollout of Ocean Medallion I can't help but think its implementation has been timely given the pandemic. It should hopefully allow them to do a lot with less contact and better tracing.

OA260

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:58 am

IH8BY wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Totally agree on this one. We sailed on Regal in late 2019 and there always seemed to be loads of space - we were really surprised when the captain said we were sailing near full as it never felt like that.

Due to sail on Sky Princess in 2022 so we'll see if the changes have affected this at all.

Whilst there have apparently been some issues with the wider rollout of Ocean Medallion I can't help but think its implementation has been timely given the pandemic. It should hopefully allow them to do a lot with less contact and better tracing.

Just to make you aware the experience has changed since C-19 so what may have worked well before may not work well under the new protocols. One way systems and areas blocked off to enable this especially in restaurants. Seats in theatre blocked off etc .. So if you have not cruised since pre Covid you will see many changes . At 100% with these protocols it would be very different to previous cruises. At 60% people were being turned away from the theatre as it filled its max capacity very quickly.

IH8BY

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:41 pm

OA260 wrote:
IH8BY wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Just to make you aware the experience has changed since C-19 so what may have worked well before may not work well under the new protocols. One way systems and areas blocked off to enable this especially in restaurants. Seats in theatre blocked off etc .. So if you have not cruised since pre Covid you will see many changes . At 100% with these protocols it would be very different to previous cruises. At 60% people were being turned away from the theatre as it filled its max capacity very quickly.

Oh I'm sure - I've been following the Seacations with interest to see how things develop. We were thinking of doing one but didn't go through with the booking (we've been a bit anxious about committing to travel plans right now). I suspect they're proving quite a learning experience for Princess and the onboard teams. Hopefully though by the middle of next year they will have worked out how to manage the onboard experience and figured out what can and what can't return to how it was. As I said, I think the Ocean Medallion may help with this as they can monitor passenger behaviour and try to predict which areas will be pressure points. We shall see...

OA260

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Some issues on MSC Virtuosa and accusations that they have allowed too many passengers onboard resulting in the spread of Covid 19.

https://twitter.com/naxenderrie/status/ ... 41184?s=21

Grandad dies with covid days after cruise holiday ends in Liverpool

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool- ... 526739.amp

This past week, Twitter has remained abuzz with complaints of COVID-19 by cruise guests on the MSC Virtuosa cruising from the United Kingdom.

www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/09/articles/ ... -virtuosa/

Toenga

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:16 pm

The return of cruise ships may bring a storm of protest to regional Australian ports.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... lian-ports

Pre pandemic Australia was reputed to be the largest contributor of passengers to the cruise ship industry per capita in the world.
The pandemic closure of the industry may well have provided a net gain to the Australian economy as money that would have bled offshore cruising has been retained in Australia.
This money may well more then offset the contribution to the Australian economy of the local providoring of the ships, and local spending from overseas cruise ship passengers.

johns624

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:38 pm

It doesn't really matter what Australia does, as long as New Zealand remains buttoned up. On my OZ/NZ cruise, I found NZ to be the more interesting country. Most of the itineraries include both countries. With the cost and length of flights from the US to Oceania, very few people are going to fly there just to see half the cruise.

Toenga

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:45 pm

johns624 wrote:
It doesn't really matter what Australia does, as long as New Zealand remains buttoned up. On my OZ/NZ cruise, I found NZ to be the more interesting country. Most of the itineraries include both countries. With the cost and length of flights from the US to Oceania, very few people are going to fly there just to see half the cruise.

Here in NZ we are bemused as to why some people, and media, find that the policies and leadership of such a small but successful country so threatening.

Given covid, we are in extraordinarily good health, economically, government debt a near world leading low of about 35% of GDP. Unemployment fallen to 3.4%.
And healthwise, life expectancy during the pandemic actually went up, compared to the US where it declined 2 years from an already far from world leading amount.
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-066768

We have achieved a lot in addressing past injustices to our more marginalised people, and are continuing good progress here

Our international border will probably reopen after our next holiday season Q2 next year.
Opening earlier is increased risk for very little economic gain given that the local holiday accomodation is most likely to be stretched just to satisfy pent up local demand.

Is it just we have a very able progressive young female leader who continues our fiercely independent foreign policies that old middle aged conservatives find so threatening? Her very success constitutes a threat.

johns624

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:36 am

Toenga wrote:
Is it just we have a very able progressive young female leader who continues our fiercely independent foreign policies that old middle aged conservatives find so threatening? Her very success constitutes a threat.
Is it "old" or is it "middle aged"?

Toenga

Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:07 am

johns624 wrote:
Toenga wrote:
Is it "old" or is it "middle aged"?

Sorry a typo. Just missed the "and" out between them

CRJ200flyer

Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Just finished a short voyage on Serenade of the Seas, my third cruise of the year. The other two were on Allure and Oasis of the Seas. I really do love the Radiance-class of ships. They’re so classically done with all the dark wood, beautiful carvings and banisters, nautical details, and immense glass features. Feels more akin to an ocean liner than a modern, simple intercontinental hotel at sea like many of the newer ships. Plus I think the class looks sleek from the outside, and less apartment building like. Our ship was about 40% full on this voyage. Here is a short video I made of the trip:

https://youtu.be/pq-vE8T_R0w

SRQLOT

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:05 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Just finished a short voyage on Serenade of the Seas, my third cruise of the year. The other two were on Allure and Oasis of the Seas. I really do love the Radiance-class of ships. They’re so classically done with all the dark wood, beautiful carvings and banisters, nautical details, and immense glass features. Feels more akin to an ocean liner than a modern, simple intercontinental hotel at sea like many of the newer ships. Plus I think the class looks sleek from the outside, and less apartment building like. Our ship was about 40% full on this voyage. Here is a short video I made of the trip:

I did the Serenade of the Seas 3 weeks ago, but to Costa Maya after Royal Caribbean changed the itinerary from Cozumel. It was my first cruise and I agree the ship size was perfect for first time! Not too big or overwhelming and looks like a ship. I also prefer to relax and wind down over constant events so it was nice to finally have done a cruise, and Costa Maya and Mahahual village was a perfect quick stop.

Toenga

Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:18 pm

The slow ramp up, and continuing covid uncertainty with new variants challenging existing vaccines, and control measures, coupled with high scrap metal prices must make the continuing existence of some older cruise ships precarious.
After the initial flush of scrap metal material, what other ships have, or are candidates to provide raw materials?

CRJ200flyer

Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:45 am

SRQLOT wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
Just finished a short voyage on Serenade of the Seas, … Here is a short video I made of the trip:

I did the Serenade of the Seas 3 weeks ago, but to Costa Maya after Royal Caribbean changed the itinerary from Cozumel. It was my first cruise and I agree the ship size was perfect for first time! Not too big or overwhelming and looks like a ship. I also prefer to relax and wind down over constant events so it was nice to finally have done a cruise, and Costa Maya and Mahahual village was a perfect quick stop.

Congrats on your first cruise! Glad you enjoyed it. I also enjoy just lounging, reading, listening to the live music, wandering the ship… taking it easy! You’ll have to try a couple different classes of ships to see the different activities, and maybe a different line like Celebrity or Holland America to compare service and decor.

WidebodyPTV

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:29 am

Toenga wrote:
The slow ramp up, and continuing covid uncertainty with new variants challenging existing vaccines, and control measures, coupled with high scrap metal prices must make the continuing existence of some older cruise ships precarious.
After the initial flush of scrap metal material, what other ships have, or are candidates to provide raw materials?

Even before COVID, there was too much cruise capacity. In 2019, the costs of traveling reached record highs yet the price of inside staterooms continued to decrease. For example, In the US, with the exception of a few weeks, It really wasn’t hard for a couple to find an inside stateroom on a 7-night Carnival cruise for less than $700 (including taxes and fees, not including gratuity) - sometimes as low as $500. Carnival claimed it could make plenty of money via upsells onboard the ship, but that was always questionable, since bargain hunters aren’t likely to shell out an additional $50 for lunch vs. what’s included.

Carnival’s newest ship contains a larger number/proportion of balcony rooms, and less inside rooms. This will probably be the trend going forward, and ships that can’t produce enough balcony rooms/revenue are likely to meet an early demise. Just MO.

ArchGuy1

Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:55 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Toenga wrote:

Even before COVID, there was too much cruise capacity. In 2019, the costs of traveling reached record highs yet the price of inside staterooms continued to decrease. For example, In the US, with the exception of a few weeks, It really wasn’t hard for a couple to find an inside stateroom on a 7-night Carnival cruise for less than $700 (including taxes and fees, not including gratuity) - sometimes as low as $500. Carnival claimed it could make plenty of money via upsells onboard the ship, but that was always questionable, since bargain hunters aren’t likely to shell out an additional $50 for lunch vs. what’s included.

Carnival’s newest ship contains a larger number/proportion of balcony rooms, and less inside rooms. This will probably be the trend going forward, and ships that can’t produce enough balcony rooms/revenue are likely to meet an early demise. Just MO.

Hope to see some of them turned into hotel and museum ships.

N626AA

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Just booked my first cruise. Feb 28 - Mar 5, 2022 on the Carnival Breeze. 5 day Western Caribbean starting in Galveston, TX to Costa Maya, then Cozumel, than back to Galveston. Pretty excited but debating if I should purchase the alcoholic drink package or not.

Has anyone been on a Carnival Cruise recently? How was it? Where did you go?

OA260

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 pm

N626AA wrote:
Just booked my first cruise. Feb 28 - Mar 5, 2022 on the Carnival Breeze. 5 day Western Caribbean starting in Galveston, TX to Costa Maya, then Cozumel, than back to Galveston. Pretty excited but debating if I should purchase the alcoholic drink package or not.

Keep an eye out on offers that pop up every now and then as they sometimes do 10-20% off drink packages bought ahead of time . If you will drink on average 4-5 a day then the package is usually the way to go .

OA260

Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Former CMV cruises now with Nicko cruises called into Arrecife port . I took this pic . There were a few TUI and AIDA calls also .

johns624

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 am

I just got off the Norwegian Gem. It was a 5 day cruise from NYC to Bermuda and return. It was nice not having to wear a mask onboard. Everyone has to be vaccinated and undergo 3 tests prior to boarding. Once at home and then an antigen and PCR test at the pier. Bermuda was wonderful. Sunny, breezy and temps in the mid 60s to low 70s.

bananaboy

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:58 am

johns624 wrote:
I just got off the Norwegian Gem. It was a 5 day cruise from NYC to Bermuda and return. It was nice not having to wear a mask onboard. Everyone has to be vaccinated and undergo 3 tests prior to boarding. Once at home and then an antigen and PCR test at the pier. Bermuda was wonderful. Sunny, breezy and temps in the mid 60s to low 70s.

You did it at just the right time it seems.. mask policy on NCL has just been updated, as it has for Carnival & Royal Caribbean.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/666 ... &posfrom=1

Did you do much in Bermuda? Looks like a nice place to go. Smooth seas?

johns624

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:10 pm

bananaboy wrote:
johns624 wrote:

You did it at just the right time it seems.. mask policy on NCL has just been updated, as it has for Carnival & Royal Caribbean.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/666 ... &posfrom=1

Did you do much in Bermuda? Looks like a nice place to go. Smooth seas?
I saw about the changed policy. The first day, we took the ferry to Hamilton and just walked around, absorbing the atmosphere. The second day, we spent touring the Royal Navy Dockyard. I'm a military history buff, so the old coastal artillery fortifications were fascinating. We mainly went to relax. There's a brewpub there called the Frog & Onion. Good porters and stouts and fish and chips. Seas were about 8ft, so a little motion the first day, but pretty calm after that.

jfklganyc

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:46 pm

N626AA wrote:

Carnival gets a bad rap.

Product is good. Problem is really the class of passengers on board.

johns624

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:51 am

I've been on six cruises and never had a problem with other passengers. Of course, they've all been on NCL and none have been to the Caribbean. All have been on itineraries that favor smaller ships and a slightly older crowd. Alaska, Baltic, Norway, Oz&NZ, AMS-FCO and now an offseason one to Bermuda. We're booked on a May one from Southampton to Iceland via Scotland and Norway. We're also looking at one from Buenos Aires to the Falklands and Antarctica and another to Spitzbergen from Iceland.

ArchGuy1

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:33 am

The Queen Mary 2 will not be returning to New York City as planned, but instead headed directly from Barbados to Southampton as a number of COVID-19 cases have happened onboard.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbus ... vid-19.amp

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 am

Please continue discussion in Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread - 2022

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1468419