Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1

Re: Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread -2021

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:26 am

MARD is currently collecting proposals for the future of the NS Savannah and the dealine is tomorrow March 15. Hope this ship will be saved.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... s-savannah

bennett123

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:09 am

Surprised you did not post this earlier.

Frankly, if there are no takers for this, then there is no hope for old cruise ships.

OA260

Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 pm

So it looks like a few of the cruise lines are home porting out of non US destinations and opting for Caribbean countries to get round the US restrictions.

Also today RCI announced cancellations in Europe and is moving Adventure of the Seas to the Caribbean .

Meanwhile Princess / P&O / Cunard and MSC will offer cruises around the British Isles this Summer . Some require vaccinations and others like MSC are saying you will not need to be vaccinated . Only UK residents will be permitted onboard.

OA260

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Celebrity Cruises Sets Summer Debut in Greece for Celebrity Apex

Celebrity Cruises will resume cruising in Europe this summer with the brand-new, 2,910-passenger Celebrity Apex, the second ship in the ground-breaking Edge Series.
The 129,500-gross-ton ship – which was supposed to be christened in March 2020 – will make its debut in Greece beginning June 19.
The Celebrity Apex will operate seven-night sailings roundtrip from Athens through September 2021, visiting places such as Mykonos, Rhodes and Santorini, Greece; Limassol, Cyprus; and Haifa and Jerusalem, Israel. Bookings open on March 30. For details on the new Greek Isles cruises

www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/celebri ... -apex.html

bananaboy

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:30 pm

NCL has announced 3 new itineraries for summer 2021: Norwegian Gem will be based in Punta Cana offering 7-night Eastern Caribbean sailings, Norwegian Jade will sail from Athens to the Greek Islands and Norwegian Joy from Montego Bay to the Western Caribbean. Sailings start 15th Aug, 25th July and 7th Aug respectively. Vaccinations mandatory for all crew and guests.

https://www.ncl.com/return-to-service

Drafran

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:14 pm

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
na wrote:

I thought of it the other day. Not surprising in the current climate.
Be it as it is, the Queen Mary is the world´s sole survivor of an era. And it significantly contributed to winning WWII by transporting a large part of the US troops to Europe which together with the British liberated France and conquered Nazi Germany. Churchill once said, she and near sistership Queen Elizabeth shortened the war by a year. Therefore, historically, its a much more important vessel than any battleship or aircraft carrier that did survive.

Btw I spend two nights on QM two years ago. Got to love that Grand Old Lady.

The Queen Mary certainly sees about 1.5 million paying visitors a year, which is about the same as the Seattle Space Needle and the observation deck of the Sears Tower.

And yet somehow seemingly every company that touches Queen Mary ends up bankrupt. What does that tell you?

Allow me to remind you of a little company called Disney that ran the attraction at one time. Rumor has it, it's still around. :wave:

KFTG

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:32 pm

A good move...
The State of Florida has sued the Federal government and the CDC in an effort to re-open the cruise industry in the US
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politic ... story.html

FGITD

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Drafran wrote:
FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Queen Mary certainly sees about 1.5 million paying visitors a year, which is about the same as the Seattle Space Needle and the observation deck of the Sears Tower.

And yet somehow seemingly every company that touches Queen Mary ends up bankrupt. What does that tell you?

Allow me to remind you of a little company called Disney that ran the attraction at one time. Rumor has it, it's still around. :wave:

I think that might prove my point in a more solid way. If a company with pockets as deep as Disney gets out of the lease as quickly as they did, it’s not a good sign. Granted, they had much more ambitious plans than just running it as a hotel. But all the same, they realized this ship wasn't going to make them money

Drafran

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:26 am

FGITD wrote:
Drafran wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I think that might prove my point in a more solid way. If a company with pockets as deep as Disney gets out of the lease as quickly as they did, it’s not a good sign. Granted, they had much more ambitious plans than just running it as a hotel. But all the same, they realized this ship wasn't going to make them money

Without knowing the specifics around Disney's decision to bail, I'm not going to comment. I agree that, on the face of it, the fact that "this ship wasn't going to make them money" could have been the reason they metaphorically made for the lifeboats, however, I sincerely doubt a company like Disney, whom you have to reasonably believe had access to all the facts before getting involved initially, just decided that running Queen Mary wasn't going to work for them.

jetwet1

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Disney inherited the Queen Mary lease with it's take over of the Wrather Corporation which they bought primarily to get control of the Disneyland Hotel.

They made a go of it for sure, but once the plans for "Port Disney" fell through they quickly bailed on the lease, without the additional draw that Port Disney would have brought they were unable to reach a point where the ship and Spruce Goose could be self sustaining. Evn now there are plans to redevelop the area around the ship which would no doubt help it, if only the citizens of Long Beach would go along with it.

CRJ200flyer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm

I really want to go on a cruise, but am holding off to see what becomes of mask mandates. I saw a Celebrity itinerary I was very interested in, and spoke via chat with a Celebrity representative last night regarding if masks would be required. He said Celebrity would let me know once the date got closer; however if all passengers and crew are vaccinated, I don’t see the point of masks, and feel it would significantly degrade the cruise experience. Hopefully the industry can issue some clarification on this in the future as several friends and family I know are waiting it out on this question.

I was fortunate enough to go on three cruises in the beginning of 2020. I finally got around to creating a video of my last one, and also the last sailing for the Celebrity Summit before the industry came to a halt. We ended up diverting to Fort Lauderdale after San Juan refused our entry.

https://youtu.be/YJacgqd1UlY

northstardc4m

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
I really want to go on a cruise, but am holding off to see what becomes of mask mandates. I saw a Celebrity itinerary I was very interested in, and spoke via chat with a Celebrity representative last night regarding if masks would be required. He said Celebrity would let me know once the date got closer; however if all passengers and crew are vaccinated, I don’t see the point of masks, and feel it would significantly degrade the cruise experience. Hopefully the industry can issue some clarification on this in the future as several friends and family I know are waiting it out on this question.

I was fortunate enough to go on three cruises in the beginning of 2020. I finally got around to creating a video of my last one, and also the last sailing for the Celebrity Summit before the industry came to a halt. We ended up diverting to Fort Lauderdale after San Juan refused our entry.

My wife and I are of similar mindset... We've decided to wait until 2022 to cruise again... We just don't feel confident that the mask mandates and restrictions on shore visits will be dropped this summer/fall when we could get time to go... We've already booked in June 2022 and thats that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

CRJ200flyer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

My wife and I are of similar mindset... We've decided to wait until 2022 to cruise again... We just don't feel confident that the mask mandates and restrictions on shore visits will be dropped this summer/fall when we could get time to go... We've already booked in June 2022 and thats that.

Thanks for sharing. We might do the same, or make some pretty last minute plans if things change significantly this summer. Which ship and destination next for you in 2022?

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Thanks for sharing. We might do the same, or make some pretty last minute plans if things change significantly this summer. Which ship and destination next for you in 2022?
Carnival Magic out of NYC to San Juan , StThomas, Grand Turk... It was a good deal when we booked and it's a driving distance which is so much more convenient than flying.

VSMUT

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:54 am

northstardc4m wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Out of curiosity, has the pandemic had an effect on where you decided to go on a cruise?

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Not us no... We've gotten used to driving to Caribbean cruises... This will be the second for us from NYC

ArchGuy1

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 pm

There are well over a hundred museum/static attraction ships of various types that used to sail around the world before being retired. These includes warships, freighters, oil tankers, tugboats, and ocean liners. In the case of ocean liners, this started with the Hikawa Maru in 1961 for use in Yokohama as a museum ship and was followed by the Queen Mary in 1967, which became a hotel, museum, and static attraction in Long Beach. The idea was nothing new though with the SS Great Eastern being used as an attraction in Liverpool for a while in about the late 19th century. In about 1935, there was a proposal to preserve the Olympic as a hotel on the French Rivera. While a number of ocean liners turned into cruise ships have become floating hotel and museum ships like the SS Rotterdam in her namesake city of Rotterdam and QE2 in Dubai, it is only now that purpose built cruise ships are starting to become floating hotel or museum ships in a Queen Mary or SS Rotterdam type role. The MV Albatros and Carnival Fascination, which were retired and brought to that role due to COVID-19 are becoming floating hotels in Hurghada, Egypt and apparently Zhousan, China respectively. It will be nice to see some purpose built cruise ships turned into a static attraction rather than scrapped, which will be a first. Wish the Sovereign of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Carnival Fantasy, Costa Victoria, Columbus, two Love Boat ships, Crown Princess/Karnika, Aegean Queen, and Tropicale had gone that route.

Chemist

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:33 am

We took our first trip to Australia/New Zealand in February 2020. We had been going to go in fall 2020 but decided in late 2019 to go in February instead. What a good decision given what happened. At the time we flew to Australia in late February, we knew about the pandemic in China and took some wipes and gloves with us. A few days sightseeing in Melbourne, and then Sydney, and finally we boarded the Ruby Princess on a cruise to New Zealand and then back to Sydney. We watched the news on our cabin TV on our cruise to NZ as the Grand Princess had its huge COVID breakout in Japan. We ate in the Ruby's buffet late hours and wore gloves when using serving utensils. We were extra careful. We finished our cruise and disembarked in Sydney on March 8, 2020. By that time the pandemic was getting under way around the world. We had been worried that they might not let us disembark the ship in Sydney, or have a long delay, but we only had to fill out a health questionnaire.

We were staying near the port in Sydney. The port is at circular quay which unlike many cruise ports is right in the city and you can walk right by the cruise terminal. We walked back to the port later that day, around 6pm. The Ruby Princess should have sailed but still had long lines of passengers waiting outside the terminal. We asked somebody and they told us that there was a boarding delay. I even took a photo of the long lines. Apparently later that night the Ruby Princess finally sailed. We spent a few more days in Sydney and were buying PPE as we heard there was a run on supplies in the States. We put the PPE in our additional free checked bag that we didn't really need. Our Qantas flight got cancelled due to mechanical issues so we ended up flying to Melbourne then to Los Angeles. We arrived home on March 12, 2020.

The Ruby Princess cruise that left after we disembarked was aborted mid-cruise in New Zealand when they closed all of their ports to cruise ships, and headed back to Sydney. Those poor passengers we saw waiting in line missed their full cruise. And due to screwups in Australia, they were allowed to disembark, and the Ruby Princess ended up being a scandal and responsible for a huge number of Australia's cases and a number of deaths, as some passengers were infected and spread COVID to others in Australia.

We hunkered down here in California for the better part of a year, and are now fully vaccinated. We will wait until next year at the earliest to see where the pandemic goes before we consider cruising again.

We were lucky.

Dano1977

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Third time lucky....

Booked a cruise for 2022 from a cancelled trip in 2021 and 2020.

On the good ship Iona with P&O Cruises, Southampton-Madeira-Lanzarote-Tenerife-Gran Canaria-Cadiz-Lisbon-Southampton

Fully utilised our cancelled cruise credit, booked a deluxe balcony room, and got £500 on board spend.

OA260

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:34 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Third time lucky....

Booked a cruise for 2022 from a cancelled trip in 2021 and 2020.

On the good ship Iona with P&O Cruises, Southampton-Madeira-Lanzarote-Tenerife-Gran Canaria-Cadiz-Lisbon-Southampton

Fully utilised our cancelled cruise credit, booked a deluxe balcony room, and got £500 on board spend.

Good choice Iona a great new ship to go on especially for a few sea days down to Madeira. Nice itinerary too.

CRJ200flyer

Sun May 09, 2021 4:55 pm

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-removes-most-cruises-until-september/50631

Looks like Carnival has now canceled much of August too. I recently cracked and booked a September cruise on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas thinking the summer would iron out most of the issues and get things back to normal. I’m now guessing that wasn’t enough of a buffer...

OA260

Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-removes-most-cruises-until-september/50631

Looks like Carnival has now canceled much of August too. I recently cracked and booked a September cruise on the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas thinking the summer would iron out most of the issues and get things back to normal. I’m now guessing that wasn’t enough of a buffer...

Very hard to tell what the Summer will bring. The UK are doing cruise staycations for fully vaccinated guests which the majority of reputable cruise lines are not allowing unvaccinated guests onboard . Those will be a good test to see what issues if any arise and if any C-19 outbreaks happen onboard.

bananaboy

Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 pm

First Project Leonardo ship from NCL has a name.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/shipbui ... l-showcase

Norwegian Prima will be their first entirely new class of ship since Norwegian Breakaway in 2013 and is bucking the trend of ever-larger vessels. She will be 142500 GRT and have capacity for around 3200 guests.

Have to say I like this idea - I enjoyed the bigger ships but these smaller ships should offer a different appeal us increased flexibility for itinerary planners. Can't wait to see further details on the ship.

bananaboy

Mon May 10, 2021 7:32 pm

OA260 wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Very hard to tell what the Summer will bring. The UK are doing cruise staycations for fully vaccinated guests which the majority of reputable cruise lines are not allowing unvaccinated guests onboard . Those will be a good test to see what issues if any arise and if any C-19 outbreaks happen onboard.

Do you think MSC are "disreputable" then? They've got a good track record in the Med - clearly their COVID-19 protocols worked there. I think they had 2 seperate cases since they restarted, none of which made the news as they were handled well. Guests were isolated, as were guest and crew contacts. All were tested and the guests who had tested positive were off-loaded for treatment.

Personally, I think MSC will eventually move to vaccination as a mandatory requirement but as their source markets are so diverse, I think they'll be the last of the big companies given the different speeds of vaccination programs across those countries.

OA260

Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 pm

bananaboy wrote:
OA260 wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Do you think MSC are "disreputable" then? They've got a good track record in the Med - clearly their COVID-19 protocols worked there. I think they had 2 seperate cases since they restarted, none of which made the news as they were handled well. Guests were isolated, as were guest and crew contacts. All were tested and the guests who had tested positive were off-loaded for treatment.

Personally, I think MSC will eventually move to vaccination as a mandatory requirement but as their source markets are so diverse, I think they'll be the last of the big companies given the different speeds of vaccination programs across those countries.

I did not mention specific lines but I personally will not step on a cruise ship where it is not mandatory for all guests to be vaccinated. It offers an extra layer of protection and safer for everyone. Those that want to juggle with their health in a pandemic can do as they wish.

CRJ200flyer

Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 am

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/05/12/cdc-updates-some-of-its-rules-cruise-ships

“The new update continues to treat vaccinated sailings the exact same as sailings that include a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers.”

“All passengers (vaccinated or not) must still wear a mask in between bites and sips while dining indoors.”

“Buffets are still prohibited, even on fully vaccinated sailings.”

This absurdity needs to stop. I’ve written a letter to the CDC a few days ago, but maybe I should submit another. A fully vaccinated cruise should be free from these ridiculous restrictions.

OA260

Thu May 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Great to see this product back again under Ambassador always had a good following Ex Tilbury.

New UK brand Ambassador Cruise Line launches

A new UK-based operator, Ambassador Cruise Line deploying first ship Ambience — formerly Pacific Dawn — and run by a senior management team previously with Cruise & Maritime Voyages, has launched.

www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations ... e-launches

bananaboy

Fri May 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Long way to go but interesting that they are now considering legislation to temporarily allow non-US registered cruise vessels to bypass Canada on Alaska cruise itineraries until Canada's cruise ban is lifted. Long way to go on this though, and would still require the CDC to act too.

https://www.travelweek.ca/news/u-s-sena ... or-canada/

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... -bill.html

https://www.porthole.com/alaska-tourism ... se-season/

OA260

Sat May 15, 2021 9:02 pm

Due to the current rocket attacks on Israel Royal Caribbeans plans to base cruises out of Haifa have been shelved. It was to be one of their flagship restart itineraries in Europe this year.

Israel unrest leads Royal Caribbean to cancel Odyssey of the Seas June through October sailings from Haifa

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5108878001

usxguy

Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 am

bananaboy wrote:
NCL has announced 3 new itineraries for summer 2021: Norwegian Gem will be based in Punta Cana offering 7-night Eastern Caribbean sailings, Norwegian Jade will sail from Athens to the Greek Islands and Norwegian Joy from Montego Bay to the Western Caribbean. Sailings start 15th Aug, 25th July and 7th Aug respectively. Vaccinations mandatory for all crew and guests.

https://www.ncl.com/return-to-service

Some friends and I are booked on the Gem on the 15th of August. The itinerary looks good and the rate wasn't bad - then again, we all have like $3k in FCC's that need to be used. Surprised by the lack of choices of cabins on the ship; seems to be fairly strong with bookings. Also very curious to see how things have changed.

ArchGuy1

Tue May 18, 2021 7:42 pm

The Boudicca has been beached at Aliaga for scrapping and the Black Watch will soon follow. These ships sailed close to 50 years and I personally think they would have been great for use as a hotel or museum ship like Hikawa Maru.
https://cruisemarsh.wordpress.com/2021/ ... in-aliaga/

northstardc4m

Wed May 19, 2021 3:22 am

Ok folks...

Have a decision to make...

14 night transatlantic fall 2022...

Anthem of the Seas (Barcelona-Galveston) vs Carnival Celebration inaugural (Southampton-Miami)

What does everyone think?

FGITD

Wed May 19, 2021 3:28 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Boudicca has been beached at Aliaga for scrapping and the Black Watch will soon follow. These ships sailed close to 50 years and I personally think they would have been great for use as a hotel or museum ship like Hikawa Maru.
https://cruisemarsh.wordpress.com/2021/ ... in-aliaga/

Why am I not surprised...

Actually archguy, I found a YouTube channel called “Big Old Boats” (just search it) that does 20 minute mini documentaries, each about a specific ocean liner. Great photos, video, and they’re well made. I think it’s something you might enjoy. (I’m unaffiliated, not advertising...just recommending)

To the topic at hand...I can’t wait to get back out on a cruise. Trying to take one next summer, hopefully

OA260

Wed May 19, 2021 6:35 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Ok folks...

Have a decision to make...

14 night transatlantic fall 2022...

Anthem of the Seas (Barcelona-Galveston) vs Carnival Celebration inaugural (Southampton-Miami)

What does everyone think?

Anthem of the Seas . I was on it great ship.

bananaboy

Thu May 20, 2021 5:43 pm

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021 ... t-stopping

Looks like the bill to allow Canada to be bypassed this year for a limited Alaska season has been passed.

EIBPI

Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 pm

I used to very much enjoying cruising so was wondering what to do for my first proper holiday since the start of COVID. Looked at booking a cruise:

- COVID-19 testing and mask wearing (makes sense);
- Reduced services including no live shows (understandable);
- Fewer dining options (suppose I can live with that);
- No parties (not a big dancer anyway);
- Many itineraries cancelled at the last minute (starts to be annoying);
- Cannot leave the ship without an excursion. If you leave a booked excursion, you are kicked off the ship (= a prisoner of the cruise line. No way).

I think my next few trips will be land based.

OA260

Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 pm

People thinking about booking cruises are thinking its a mask then business as usual. Its far from it and will be like no cruise taken before. For many under these current restrictions its not a holiday at all. Only the truly dedicated will go currently. You then have a raft of new T&C’s to contend with . See RCI’s here :

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/183 ... 8BC2E&dl=1

bananaboy

Fri May 21, 2021 6:39 am

EIBPI wrote:
I used to very much enjoying cruising so was wondering what to do for my first proper holiday since the start of COVID. Looked at booking a cruise:

- COVID-19 testing and mask wearing (makes sense);
- Reduced services including no live shows (understandable);
- Fewer dining options (suppose I can live with that);
- No parties (not a big dancer anyway);
- Many itineraries cancelled at the last minute (starts to be annoying);
- Cannot leave the ship without an excursion. If you leave a booked excursion, you are kicked off the ship (= a prisoner of the cruise line. No way).

I think my next few trips will be land based.

That varies by cruise line and destination at the moment. In order of your points above:

1. Yes. Seems to be universal
2 & 3. Haven't heard that one. MSC Virtuosa, sailing from UK for first time yesterday, has everything open. Live entertainment in the theatre is on. Which cruise line have you seen confirm
4. Yes, although I'd imagine parties on deck may have a higher chance of happening
5. The cruise lines are getting a little better at proactively cancelling IMHO. Booking closer to departure than you otherwise might will give you the best chance. At least with a cruise, if there's a lockdown in one port, they can go elsewhere. On a land holiday, you're stuffed.
6. This policy is evolving and will also depend on the destination. For example, Norwegian Jade from Athens was launched with that policy - they have since amended it and you will be free to go ashore independently if you wish. Like everything else, it could all change again.

Totally get that it's going to be different for a while, and may only be attractive to die-hard fans but, in my opinion, much of what I'd be required to do in terms of behaviour around COVID is similar on land to afloat.

Well, that's my theory at least. I've got up to 3 potential test cruises between now and the end of July, plus maybe one more onboard MSC Virtuosa too, so I can see for myself.

Going to be an interesting summer for the industry.

DL717

Fri May 21, 2021 3:46 pm

FGITD

Wed May 26, 2021 8:10 pm

It would appear the Queen Mary is once again in more trouble than previously thought.

I just don’t see a way back for her. $23 million, basically just to keep her afloat. Remove the oceanliner-nostalgia glasses, and imagine the proposal of trying to sell a hotel that never makes money, has higher than usual maintenance costs, and right from the outset needs at least $23mil in repairs.

Good luck with that...

https://abc7.com/business/queen-mary-in ... /10661953/

It’s very difficult to drum up business for these types of places, and in my opinion it's because people are too far removed from them and their history. Big passenger ships are for fun trips these days. There's a waning number of people who traveled on the ocean liners and have those memories. For everyone else, it's just an old ship

ArchGuy1

Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 pm

FGITD wrote:
It would appear the Queen Mary is once again in more trouble than previously thought.

I just don’t see a way back for her. $23 million, basically just to keep her afloat. Remove the oceanliner-nostalgia glasses, and imagine the proposal of trying to sell a hotel that never makes money, has higher than usual maintenance costs, and right from the outset needs at least $23mil in repairs.

Good luck with that...

https://abc7.com/business/queen-mary-in ... /10661953/

It’s very difficult to drum up business for these types of places, and in my opinion it's because people are too far removed from them and their history. Big passenger ships are for fun trips these days. There's a waning number of people who traveled on the ocean liners and have those memories. For everyone else, it's just an old ship

In addition to ship and liner enthusiasts, the Queen Mary is well known by people interested in Art Deco, military history, World War 2, history in general, transportation, architecture, all things haunted, and the average person aged at least 50 years old. Also known by just about anyone in the Long Beach area.

FGITD

Wed May 26, 2021 9:45 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
In addition to ship and liner enthusiasts, the Queen Mary is well known by people interested in Art Deco, military history, World War 2, history in general, transportation, architecture, all things haunted, and the average person aged at least 50 years old. Also known by just about anyone in the Long Beach area.

And once again for all that purported interest, her she rests; burned through multiple owners, hardly, if ever making a profit, with minimal interest, and a massive pile of necessary repairs that no one wants to make.

ArchGuy1

Wed May 26, 2021 9:49 pm

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

And once again for all that purported interest, her she rests; burned through multiple owners, hardly, if ever making a profit, with minimal interest, and a massive pile of necessary repairs that no one wants to make.

The Statue of Liberty was restored before her Centennial in the 1980's after decades of neglect and the structure was in bad shape at the time. There were in fact design defects with the torch.

petertenthije

Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Statue of Liberty was restored before her Centennial in the 1980's after decades of neglect and the structure was in bad shape at the time. There were in fact design defects with the torch.

The statue of liberty is a global icon recognised the world over. An icon that not just NYC, but the whole of the USA identify with.

The QM is just a ship. Nothing more, nothing less.

The only one that cares about it are fans of ships like yourself. That is not even remotely enough, as can be easily demonstrated by numerous companies loosing big money on the QM and ships like her. Not to mention the countless ships like her that were sent to the breaker.

johns624

Wed May 26, 2021 10:41 pm

Well, NCL just cancelled our 1-2/2021 AKL-SYD cruise. Now we're contemplating Plan B. It might be the Falklands, Straits of Magellan and a drive-by of Antarctica out of EZE. Same timeframe.

FGITD

Thu May 27, 2021 2:22 am

petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The statue of liberty is a global icon recognised the world over. An icon that not just NYC, but the whole of the USA identify with.

The only one that cares about it are fans of ships like yourself. That is not even remotely enough, as can be easily demonstrated by numerous companies loosing big money on the QM and ships like her. Not to mention the countless ships like her that were sent to the breaker.

Terrible comparison. The Statue of Liberty is an icon of Americana.

Queen Mary was a commercial ship, owned by a foreign company, and primarily operated between 2 cities, neither of which she is currently berthed in.

Best thing Queen Mary could do for Long Beach these days is be broken up on site, to provide jobs and scrap metal. (Actual question...surely ships like the QM or SSUS wouldn’t be able to stand a voyage to the traditional breakers, so how would they be scrapped?)

ArchGuy1

Thu May 27, 2021 2:33 am

FGITD wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Queen Mary was a commercial ship, owned by a foreign company, and primarily operated between 2 cities, neither of which she is currently berthed in.

Best thing Queen Mary could do for Long Beach these days is be broken up on site, to provide jobs and scrap metal. (Actual question...surely ships like the QM or SSUS wouldn’t be able to stand a voyage to the traditional breakers, so how would they be scrapped?)

The USS Lexington is an icon for Corpus Christi, self sufficient and in good shape structurally despite having no real connection for Corpus.

FGITD

Thu May 27, 2021 3:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

The USS Lexington is an icon for Corpus Christi, self sufficient and in good shape structurally despite having no real connection for Corpus.

No real connection to Corpus Christi, aside from the frequent visits to the area, and the decades spent as a training carrier for naval aviators based in Corpus Christi...

ArchGuy1

Thu May 27, 2021 3:32 am

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

No real connection to Corpus Christi, aside from the frequent visits to the area, and the decades spent as a training carrier for naval aviators based in Corpus Christi...

Does the USS Lexington have more of a connection with Corpus Christi than the Queen Mary does for Long Beach?

Kiwirob

Thu May 27, 2021 6:26 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Does the USS Lexington have more of a connection with Corpus Christi than the Queen Mary does for Long Beach?

Queen Mary has no historic connection to Long Beach, in service she never visited it, she was a trans Atlantic liner, not a trans Pacific liner.