Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyEndeavorAir

Re: Pro-Trump Riot in US Capital Building

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am not saying violence does not happen during protests. Obviously it does. But to compare BLM to the domestic terror attack of 1/6 is crazy.

If I was a business owner watching my store burn to the ground and others looted I would probably disagree with you.

And you could file an insurance claim. Do we have that for a violent coup?

Spoken by someone who doesn't have nor has ever dealt with insurance.

petertenthije

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm

stratosphere wrote:
We the taxpayers paid for the damage much like we the taxpayers paid for the fence at the Mexican border and extra security and for this soon to be biased sham Benghazi investigation which will go no where much like we the taxpayer paid for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Nth investigation into Benghazi that also went no where. Government sure knows how to waste our money.

Fixed that for you to illustrate it goes both ways… with republicans waaaaaay in the lead.

luckyone

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 pm

petertenthije wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
We the taxpayers paid for the damage much like we the taxpayers paid for the fence at the Mexican border and extra security and for this soon to be biased sham Benghazi investigation which will go no where much like we the taxpayer paid for the2nd, 3rd, 4th, Nth investigation into Benghazi that also went no where. Government sure knows how to waste our money.

Fixed that for you to illustrate it goes both ways… with republicans waaaaaay in the lead.

Lest we not forget the taxpayers bailed out the residents of Texas for a short sighted energy grid in the name of "freedom," "state's rights," and "less regulation." Yet they all took the cash that somebody else paid for...

Aaron747

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 pm

What we confirmed today is that ‘blue lives matter’ to rank and file GOP only when talking like MAGA. It’s mind numbing to watch.

skyservice_330

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:30 pm

I guess it is easy to be the party of law and order, and for 'the blue' ... until the supporters and insurrectionists your party has offered solace to, and who have been encouraged by your party leader, find themselves on the wrong side of the law by destroying federal property and attempting to stop the democratic process.

But I am sure the usual cast of characters will find a way to blame Pelosi. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't tried to blame it on the Clintons LOL

Aaron747

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:37 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:
I guess it is easy to be the party of law and order, and for 'the blue' ... until the supporters and insurrectionists your party has offered solace to, and who have been encouraged by your party leader, find themselves on the wrong side of the law by destroying federal property and attempting to stop the democratic process.

But I am sure the usual cast of characters will find a way to blame Pelosi. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't tried to blame it on the Clintons LOL

The usual suspects were trying to blame Pelosi but their presser ended early when they ran away from protesters:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5650 ... aetz-event

seb146

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:38 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

If I was a business owner watching my store burn to the ground and others looted I would probably disagree with you.

We the taxpayers paid for the damage much like we the taxpayers paid for the fence and extra security following 1/6 and for this soon to be biased sham Pelosi investigation which will go no where much like we the taxpayer paid for the Trump Russian collusion investigation that also went no where. Government sure knows how to waste our money.

Of course you fail to mention the huge waste of taxpayer dollars known as Benghazi. As far as Russian interference, it happened. Russia said it happened, EU said it happened, United States said it happened. It happened. He was a plant. All those people wearing MAGA hats and MAGA shirts and waiving MAGA flags and Confederate flags and beating officers were not BLM or "antifa" or "liberals" and this "sham" and "biased" investigation will tell everyone, again, who exactly was there trying to overthrow the government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56423536

ltbewr
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:45 am

The testimony of 4 CPD officers who's excerpts of and of MSNBC's commentators I saw/heard shortly after it was very emotional and sad to hear so called fellow Americans do such acts of terror in the Capitol and to those CPD officers. This is only the beginning of these hearings, it started with a clear indictment of the terrorists and Trump that day. I just hope they lead to making sure no such event ever happens again.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:26 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

We the taxpayers paid for the damage much like we the taxpayers paid for the fence and extra security following 1/6 and for this soon to be biased sham Pelosi investigation which will go no where much like we the taxpayer paid for the Trump Russian collusion investigation that also went no where. Government sure knows how to waste our money.

Old man yells at cloud

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 am

Aaron747 wrote:
What we confirmed today is that ‘blue lives matter’ to rank and file GOP only when talking like MAGA. It’s mind numbing to watch.

To them, this is the blue life that matters:

A woman was handcuffed on the ground when a police sergeant kicked her in the head
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... oman-head/

Aaron747

Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:30 am

If I had a dollar for every right wing host criticizing the Capitol Police’s ‘grown men crying’ in yesterday’s hearing, I could retire tomorrow with immediate effect.

Aaron747

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 am

Aaaaand here’s Rep. Jordan nervously admitting to Fox’s Bret Baier that he in fact spoke to Trump on Jan 6th:

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/ ... 68800?s=21

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:35 am

Aaron747 wrote:
If I had a dollar for every right wing host criticizing the Capitol Police’s ‘grown men crying’ in yesterday’s hearing, I could retire tomorrow with immediate effect.

What blue lives matter and what troops do they support at this point? They've shat on all of them.

Aaron747

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 am

In a rare moment, ND GOP Senator Kevin Cramer called Ashli Babbitt a 'criminal' and argued with a radio caller who demanded to know the name of her shooter.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/565 ... p-who-shot

"The person that shot her is a police officer shooting a criminal not complying with officers telling her, 'Stop. Don't come through that window. We have guns drawn. Don't do it.' They're protecting people, and the officer was found to be innocent of any wrongdoing," Cramer told the caller. "So then what would be the purpose of releasing that officer's name? What do you need to know the officer's name for?"

casinterest

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
In a rare moment, ND GOP Senator Kevin Cramer called Ashli Babbitt a 'criminal' and argued with a radio caller who demanded to know the name of her shooter.

"The person that shot her is a police officer shooting a criminal not complying with officers telling her, 'Stop. Don't come through that window. We have guns drawn. Don't do it.' They're protecting people, and the officer was found to be innocent of any wrongdoing," Cramer told the caller. "So then what would be the purpose of releasing that officer's name? What do you need to know the officer's name for?"

These hearings are going to be tough for the GOP. At some point you need to lead instead of following the big lie that has created this world of crazy folks. I applaud Kevin Cramer for trying to stand up for law and order in this case, but his vote in the Senate for impeachment and hearings indicates that he doesn't always stand tall for the US and it's institutions when the GOP is pulling the strings.

luckyone

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

These hearings are going to be tough for the GOP. At some point you need to lead instead of following the big lie that has created this world of crazy folks. I applaud Kevin Cramer for trying to stand up for law and order in this case, but his vote in the Senate for impeachment and hearings indicates that he doesn't always stand tall for the US and it's institutions when the GOP is pulling the strings.

The gamble the GOP is taking is keep the most resolute supporters vs. distill the party into TRUMP! supporters while alienating people who voted Republican but aren't enamored with Trump and will walk if things get too crazy.

casinterest

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 pm

luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The gamble the GOP is taking is keep the most resolute supporters vs. distill the party into TRUMP! supporters while alienating people who voted Republican but aren't enamored with Trump and will walk if things get too crazy.

There is going to be a lot of crazy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/politics ... index.html

During the December 27, 2020, call, Trump pressured Rosen and Donoghue to falsely declare the election "illegal" and "corrupt" even after the Justice Department had not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud.
"Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen," Trump said on the call, according to Donoghue's notes.

Donoghue's notes show how Trump continued to push false claims of voter fraud in several states. Trump said that "people are angry" and blaming the Justice Department for inaction, suggesting that -- blaming DOJ + for inaction."
"We have an obligation to tell people that this was an illegal, corrupt election," Trump said, according to the notes.
Rosen and Donoghue's pushed back, telling Trump "We are doing our job. Much of the info you're getting is false," according to Donoghue's notes. The notes included a reference to Trump's false claim that the error rate of ballot counting in Michigan was 68%, when in fact it was 0.0063%, or one-in-15,000.

When Trump didn't like what Donoghue was telling him, he threatened to replace him.

Trump suggested during the call that he might replace Rosen with then-Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark, who had who reportedly urged Trump to make him acting attorney general instead of Rosen.
"People tell me Jeff Clark is great, I should put him in," Trump said, according to Rosen's notes. "People want me to replace DOJ leadership."

So much pay to play and misinformation being pushed by Trump, and he flat out ignored any evidence that he was wrong. Trump is going to take the GOP down with him on the big lie that has no corroboration in any audit.

luckyone

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:

During the December 27, 2020, call, Trump pressured Rosen and Donoghue to falsely declare the election "illegal" and "corrupt" even after the Justice Department had not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud.
"Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen," Trump said on the call, according to Donoghue's notes.

Donoghue's notes show how Trump continued to push false claims of voter fraud in several states. Trump said that "people are angry" and blaming the Justice Department for inaction, suggesting that -- blaming DOJ + for inaction."
"We have an obligation to tell people that this was an illegal, corrupt election," Trump said, according to the notes.
Rosen and Donoghue's pushed back, telling Trump "We are doing our job. Much of the info you're getting is false," according to Donoghue's notes. The notes included a reference to Trump's false claim that the error rate of ballot counting in Michigan was 68%, when in fact it was 0.0063%, or one-in-15,000.

When Trump didn't like what Donoghue was telling him, he threatened to replace him.

Trump suggested during the call that he might replace Rosen with then-Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark, who had who reportedly urged Trump to make him acting attorney general instead of Rosen.
"People tell me Jeff Clark is great, I should put him in," Trump said, according to Rosen's notes. "People want me to replace DOJ leadership."

So much pay to play and misinformation being pushed by Trump, and he flat out ignored any evidence that he was wrong. Trump is going to take the GOP down with him on the big lie that has no corroboration in any audit.

I'm pretty sure Nixon was about to be impeached for something very similar. Let's see how many people stick with him. With that last bit I agree with you, and that's the real danger of Trump -- his reckless self-indulgence. Sometimes I think he is smart enough to know how to manipulate people and but then again it often appears he was dumb enough to think he was still operating in his NYC bubble where he could just buy anybody off or sue them into submission. People who actually have something to lose (and weren't getting paid by grifting the foolish masses) knew they would have to back this stuff up in court for the whole world to see. Trump possibly knows this but his narcissism blinds him if he does or he doesn't care how his horse squeeze impacts others as he has no actual intention of seeing it through and just wants to beat the drum for his own benefit (see where the Trump campaign withdrew its lawsuit in Georgia the day before an evidentiary hearing was scheduled). I, personally, think the evidence suggests that the GOP was more than happy to play along with Trump while it benefited them in the short term, but there's just enough of them that won't follow him off the cliff if he costs them more elections, and that's certainly the case with voters. The GOP is firmly under his influence, but whether that is able to move forward or is just distilled into his little vanity project remains to be seen.

casinterest

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 pm

luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nixon was about to be impeached for something very similar. Let's see how many people stick with him. With that last bit I agree with you, and that's the real danger of Trump -- his reckless self-indulgence. Sometimes I think he is smart enough to know how to manipulate people and but then again it often appears he was dumb enough to think he was still operating in his NYC bubble where he could just buy anybody off or sue them into submission. People who actually have something to lose (and weren't getting paid by grifting the foolish masses) knew they would have to back this stuff up in court for the whole world to see. Trump possibly knows this but his narcissism blinds him if he does or he doesn't care how his horse squeeze impacts others as he has no actual intention of seeing it through and just wants to beat the drum for his own benefit (see where the Trump campaign withdrew its lawsuit in Georgia the day before an evidentiary hearing was scheduled). I, personally, think the evidence suggests that the GOP was more than happy to play along with Trump while it benefited them in the short term, but there's just enough of them that won't follow him off the cliff if he costs them more elections, and that's certainly the case with voters. The GOP is firmly under his influence, but whether that is able to move forward or is just distilled into his little vanity project remains to be seen.

Over the last week, I have had to deal with some folks that are part of the GOP right wing machine. They are so manipulated into listening to Trump, that everything else is just wrong. The misinformation stream in the right wing is dealing body blows to conservatives that don't buy the lies. They have to be part of the lie to survive politically within the GOP. I still think the GOP needs to have a destructive breakup of some sort, either with sanity based realists bailing on the party, or a take down of Trump and his enablers through the Jan 6 commissions, which will also ensnare the media outlets.

Without that happening, any GOP member that crosses Trump is in danger.

ER757

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
luckyone wrote:
casinterest wrote:

This is just more evidence (as if any more were needed) showing how fragile and insecure Trump's ego is. He just couldn't accept the reality that he wasn't the most popular kid in class and would do just about anything to forestall the public acknowledgement of that fact.

FGITD

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:14 pm

ER757 wrote:
This is just more evidence (as if any more were needed) showing how fragile and insecure Trump's ego is. He just couldn't accept the reality that he wasn't the most popular kid in class and would do just about anything to forestall the public acknowledgement of that fact.

For me it’s more concerning just how close the US government is to easily being manipulated. Change out a few of these individuals to more Trump loyal people, make Trump a little less dumb…whole different picture

MaverickM11

Trump to AG: Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and GOP

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 pm

In related news, water wet, earth warmed by nearby star:

Trump urged Justice officials to declare election ‘corrupt’

https://apnews.com/article/trump-urged- ... ce=Twitter

"President Donald Trump urged senior Justice Department officials to declare the results of the 2020 election “corrupt” in a December phone call, according to handwritten notes from one of the participants in the conversation.

“Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,” Trump said at one point to then-Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen, according to notes taken by Richard Donoghue, who was then Rosen’s deputy and who was also on the call."

scbriml

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:15 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

If only she'd followed the officer's instructions, she'd still be alive. Isn't that how this works?

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am

scbriml wrote:
If only she'd followed the officer's instructions, she'd still be alive. Isn't that how this works?

Yes that is exactly how it works especially if you are a terrorist like this woman.

casinterest

Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Wow,
Hammer to the Head of a Nail. This should make the top billing on right wing sites right?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/04/politics ... index.html

"You called yourself and everyone else patriots, but that's not patriotism," Judge Amy Berman Jackson said of defendant Karl Dresch. "Patriotism is loyalty to country, loyalty to the Constitution, not loyalty to a head of state. That is the tyranny we rejected on July 4."
Jackson, known for her sharp criticism of the Trump administration's moves, called Dresch an "enthusiastic participant" in the effort "to subvert democracy, to stop the will of the people and replace it with the will of the mob.

FGITD

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 am

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/04/why-di ... ore-jan-6/

Boebert needs to be investigated, simple as that, and the Capitol police officer should be thrown in there as well. Late night private tours of a place she technically had to privileged access to, while not following any of the standard protocol? Not the least bit suspicious.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:49 pm

Another one pleads guilty ......

Jacob Chansley, of Phoenix, Arizona, pleaded guilty to obstructing an official proceeding when he took part in insurrection

The man who was photographed inside the US Capitol during the 6 January insurrection shirtless, wearing a horned headdress and furs, and heavily tattooed,
pleaded guilty on Friday to obstructing an official proceeding when he took part in the assault by extremist supporters of then president Donald Trump.

While the charge against Chansley carries both a maximum 20-year prison term and a fine of up to $250,000, prosecutor Kimberly Paschall indicated the
maximum sentence the government was likely to request would be much shorter.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ads-guilty

Chansley was originally charged with six federal crimes. He pleaded guilty to one of the most serious charges and could face a maximum of 20 years in prison,
though his lack of a criminal record means he'll likely receive much less. As part of the plea agreement, Chansley agreed to pay $2,000 in restitution for damage
to the Capitol. He could also face a fine of up to $250,000

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/03/poli ... index.html

....but yet again it's concerning how lightly they are sentenced. This mas actively participated in a planned terrorist attack and a coup attempt.
Sure, we don't know the sentence yet, but it doesn't sound like he will get a particular long sentence, my guess is 5-6 years at the most.

casinterest

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:42 pm

Meanwhile, Kevin McCarthy and other Congress people's phone records have been requested.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/02/politics ... index.html

The committee asked a group of telecommunication companies to preserve phone records belonging to McCarthy, along with several other House Republicans, earlier this week.
On Monday, CNN first reported the existence of an evolving list of lawmakers whose phone records the committee wanted preserved. At the time of CNN's reporting, McCarthy's name had not been added to a draft version of the list, but by the time the document was finalized and sent to the telecommunications companies later that same day, it was included.
But since the final list was submitted on Monday afternoon, CNN has received information that McCarthy's name was, in fact, included along with several other lawmakers and hundreds of other individuals.

Kevin McCarthy then had the following statement., .
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/politics ... index.html

"If these companies comply with the Democrat order to turn over private information, they are in violation of federal law and subject to losing their ability to operate in the United States," the California Republican said in a statement he posted to Twitter. "If companies still choose to violate federal law, a Republican majority will not forget and will stand with Americans to hold them fully accountable under the law."
McCarthy's office would not provide CNN with a specific federal statute that a company would be in violation of if it complied with a duly empaneled congressional committee.
California Democrat Eric Swalwell tweeted a strong response, writing, "McCarthy just made the Congressional equivalent of a 'Snitches Get Stitches' threat. When people do that in our communities we hold them accountable. If we have no law and order we've lost everything."

McCarthy is now going to be looking at an Ethics probe.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5707 ... firms-hand

A public interest group is calling for an ethics investigation into House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) after he told communications companies that the GOP “will not forget” if they turn phone and email records over to the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

The complaint from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) argues that both McCarthy and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) violated House rules by threatening to retaliate against companies that comply with legal requests.

If the Jan 6th event was really peaceful, what are McCarthy and Greene trying to hide?

chimborazo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:48 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Another one pleads guilty ......

Jacob Chansley, of Phoenix, Arizona, pleaded guilty to obstructing an official proceeding when he took part in insurrection

The man who was photographed inside the US Capitol during the 6 January insurrection shirtless, wearing a horned headdress and furs, and heavily tattooed,
pleaded guilty on Friday to obstructing an official proceeding when he took part in the assault by extremist supporters of then president Donald Trump.

While the charge against Chansley carries both a maximum 20-year prison term and a fine of up to $250,000, prosecutor Kimberly Paschall indicated the
maximum sentence the government was likely to request would be much shorter.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ads-guilty

Chansley was originally charged with six federal crimes. He pleaded guilty to one of the most serious charges and could face a maximum of 20 years in prison,
though his lack of a criminal record means he'll likely receive much less. As part of the plea agreement, Chansley agreed to pay $2,000 in restitution for damage
to the Capitol. He could also face a fine of up to $250,000

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/03/poli ... index.html

....but yet again it's concerning how lightly they are sentenced. This mas actively participated in a planned terrorist attack and a coup attempt.
Sure, we don't know the sentence yet, but it doesn't sound like he will get a particular long sentence, my guess is 5-6 years at the most.

If they were brown and had said “Allah Akbar” while doing this they would never see the light of day again.