Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: Pro-Trump Riot in US Capital Building

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
A Trump supporter interviewed this morning in a video shown on CNN (I was watching both Fox News and CNN so I'm pretty sure it was on the former) stated that:

All races have experienced slavery but the blacks are the only ones complaining about it.

I mean, how can you even begin to have discussion with that kind of.... ignorance?

You can't. But please be assured that various far right groups took part in being traitors.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/19/95824053 ... capitol-si

Federal investigators say they have arrested several alleged members of extremist and white supremacist groups who participated in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol building.

At least eight people allegedly affiliated with organizations such as The Three Percenters, The Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, Texas Freedom Force, and other self-described Nazis and white supremacists were among those who joined the thousands that stormed the U.S. Capitol building, according to federal investigators.

Details of their arrests highlight how different, yet organized, extremist groups, with members throughout the country, coalesced to support Trump and his (disproven) claims that the November election was stolen. Law enforcement officials were able to track suspects down by using information gleaned from tipsters, social media posts shared by the accused, and news media coverage.

Then to further prove how racist the Trump Administration is, on Martin Luthor King Jr day, they released the 1776 commission report. A racist challenge to the 1619 report. No real historian was asked to take part in the racist commission. Those that did , including Pompeo, produced a lasting racist document that will instantly tarnish any person that tries to use it for any school curriculum,

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/18/us/p ... eport.html

The report drew intense criticism from historians, some of whom noted that the commission, while stocked with conservative educators, did not include a single professional historian of the United States.

James Grossman, the executive director of the American Historical Association, said the report was not a work of history, but “cynical politics.”

“This report skillfully weaves together myths, distortions, deliberate silences, and both blatant and subtle misreading of evidence to create a narrative and an argument that few respectable professional historians, even across a wide interpretive spectrum, would consider plausible, never mind convincing,” he said.

Continue reading the main story

seb146

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Republicans got their base to attempt a violent coup and got their base to believe the election was a fraud. I don't think that will work with Democrats because we tend to ask questions and provide facts as we have been doing with the election results since November.

Not accurate. MAGA did that. 45's base and the Q-anon/Parler crowd did that. Republicans are a group with an ideological conservatism WRT governance that we do not feel is ideal for the nation, and do in fact profoundly disagree with at times. That is not the same as the malignant fascist populism —amazing to believe that is literally a thing now— and willful bullshit harvesting 45 is spearheading.

Here is why that distinction is important. They just happened to draw the short straw and go first. There is nothing preventing that happening within the structure of the DNC or liberalism in general, save the fact that we are generally more aware of such things. And I am not even convinced that would be the case had 45 or someone like that happened to our team first.

Republicans (Romney is the glaring exception) did nothing to stop any of the lies from right wing media. The whole "stop the steal" was cheered on by Republicans and right wing media and played to Republicans. Four Republicans in Congress that I can think of right off are still demanding the election was fake. Now, of course, some Republicans are saying the whole thing was wrong without blaming anyone.

Elected Republicans did nothing to stop any of the lies. They are as much to blame as Qanon and Parler and OANN and Fox. Elected Republicans were out there insisting the vote be redone or simply not saying anything at all and going along with the lies. So, yes, they are to blame.

casinterest

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Republicans got their base to attempt a violent coup and got their base to believe the election was a fraud. I don't think that will work with Democrats because we tend to ask questions and provide facts as we have been doing with the election results since November.

Not accurate. MAGA did that. 45's base and the Q-anon/Parler crowd did that. Republicans are a group with an ideological conservatism WRT governance that we do not feel is ideal for the nation, and do in fact profoundly disagree with at times. That is not the same as the malignant fascist populism —amazing to believe that is literally a thing now— and willful bullshit harvesting 45 is spearheading.

Here is why that distinction is important. They just happened to draw the short straw and go first. There is nothing preventing that happening within the structure of the DNC or liberalism in general, save the fact that we are generally more aware of such things. And I am not even convinced that would be the case had 45 or someone like that happened to our team first.

Republicans (Romney is the glaring exception) did nothing to stop any of the lies from right wing media. The whole "stop the steal" was cheered on by Republicans and right wing media and played to Republicans. Four Republicans in Congress that I can think of right off are still demanding the election was fake. Now, of course, some Republicans are saying the whole thing was wrong without blaming anyone.

It took until today for McConnell to actually call out Trump for anything of substance.

Trump caused the riot per McConnell.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics ... index.html

The typically tight-lipped Senate Republican leader rarely broke from Trump in his four years as president. But he led the Senate's certification of the presidential election that the rioters pledged to overturn, and has strongly condemned the violence at the Capitol he has served in as a senator for 36 years.
"The mob was fed lies," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on the Senate floor. "They were provoked by the President and other powerful people."

Elected Republicans did nothing to stop any of the lies. They are as much to blame as Qanon and Parler and OANN and Fox. Elected Republicans were out there insisting the vote be redone or simply not saying anything at all and going along with the lies. So, yes, they are to blame.

GDB

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 pm

Another one bites the dust and hopefully does some hard time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0XJJJGYlgE

Check the dinky 'C4T' logo he wore, more accurate to replace the 4 with 'UN'.

What charming people these Trumpists are.

mjba257

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
A Trump supporter interviewed this morning in a video shown on CNN (I was watching both Fox News and CNN so I'm pretty sure it was on the former) stated that:

All races have experienced slavery but the blacks are the only ones complaining about it.

I mean, how can you even begin to have discussion with that kind of.... ignorance?

You can't. But please be assured that various far right groups took part in being traitors.

Federal investigators say they have arrested several alleged members of extremist and white supremacist groups who participated in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol building.

At least eight people allegedly affiliated with organizations such as The Three Percenters, The Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, Texas Freedom Force, and other self-described Nazis and white supremacists were among those who joined the thousands that stormed the U.S. Capitol building, according to federal investigators.

Details of their arrests highlight how different, yet organized, extremist groups, with members throughout the country, coalesced to support Trump and his (disproven) claims that the November election was stolen. Law enforcement officials were able to track suspects down by using information gleaned from tipsters, social media posts shared by the accused, and news media coverage.

Then to further prove how racist the Trump Administration is, on Martin Luthor King Jr day, they released the 1776 commission report. A racist challenge to the 1619 report. No real historian was asked to take part in the racist commission. Those that did , including Pompeo, produced a lasting racist document that will instantly tarnish any person that tries to use it for any school curriculum,

The report drew intense criticism from historians, some of whom noted that the commission, while stocked with conservative educators, did not include a single professional historian of the United States.

James Grossman, the executive director of the American Historical Association, said the report was not a work of history, but “cynical politics.”

“This report skillfully weaves together myths, distortions, deliberate silences, and both blatant and subtle misreading of evidence to create a narrative and an argument that few respectable professional historians, even across a wide interpretive spectrum, would consider plausible, never mind convincing,” he said.

The 1619 project is a garbage report written by a know-nothing pseudohistorian. Don't you listen to Ben Shapiro?

SYRAVGEEK

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 pm

mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

The 1619 project is a garbage report written by a know-nothing pseudohistorian. Don't you listen to Ben Shapiro?

Buddy, the fact that hes saying the 1619 project is better than the 1776 Bull Shit proves that he doesn't listen to that little boy with a crush on AOC

casinterest

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 pm

mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

I don't waste my time listening to liars as they try to sell fear and ignorance. But if that is your thing, enjoy your time with Ben.

mjba257

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 am

casinterest wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I don't waste my time listening to liars as they try to sell fear and ignorance. But if that is your thing, enjoy your time with Ben.

So do you live in an echo chamber? Who do you get your news from? Do you listen to anyone on the other side?

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:52 am

mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

So do you live in an echo chamber? Who do you get your news from? Do you listen to anyone on the other side?

I listen to people with intelligence. I do not listen to liars. So honestly, I will never listen to the :"other side". I don't need fraud to get me by.

mjba257

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:05 am

casinterest wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I listen to people with intelligence. I do not listen to liars. So honestly, I will never listen to the :"other side". I don't need fraud to get me by.

So you do live in an echo chamber? Gotcha

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 am

mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

So you do live in an echo chamber? Gotcha

That is a very laughable statement form someone that listens to a liar. you lack credibility and standing.

Virtual737

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:34 am

casinterest wrote:
That is a very laughable statement form someone that listens to a liar. you lack credibility and standing.

Listening to a liar doesn't mean that you support or agree with what they have to say. In fact, if you never listen to a liar then how do you know they are a liar in the first place? By taking someone else's opinion as gospel?

Pretty much all of the US media has an agenda one way or another. Some are clearly extreme and I would only go there just to see what crazy looks like, but I do look at many angles before forming an opinion. Does the US have any news outlet that is akin to the BBC, whereby the reporting is balanced and typically without opinion, based solely on fact wherever possible?

I'm not American. I'm not Republican or Democrat, but pretty much any US citizen would label me as a Liberal. In the UK I would be labeled a Conservative. This doesn't mean I agree with all the Democrat's policies. It also doesn't mean that I don't agree with any Republican policies.

One of the biggest problems with much of western politics (and this seems to apply in the US more than anywhere else I've seen, although it does apply elsewhere) is that a member of party A can almost never support a policy from party B, not because it's not a good policy, but because the enemy came up with it. This typically means that the country and the people get a shit deal and the division just gets greater. With a 2 party political system, that means that close to half the country is always unhappy.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:37 am

Virtual737 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Listening to a liar doesn't mean that you support or agree with what they have to say. In fact, if you never listen to a liar then how do you know they are a liar in the first place? By taking someone else's opinion as gospel?

once you get to the realization that someone has no honesty other than incidental, you stop listening. If you don´t, you just end up shaking your head and considering anyone listening to them yetto be a fool. Listening to liars makes you invariably judge people you don´t know yet. So better don´t listen to liars.

Ben Shapiro wrote:
We’re above 800 million Muslims radicalized, more than half the Muslims on Earth That’s not a minority. That’s now a majority.

His lies are not harmless, and have probably already lead to the death of people.

best regards
Thomas

Virtual737

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
once you get to the realization that someone has no honesty other than incidental, you stop listening. If you don´t, you just end up shaking your head and considering anyone listening to them yetto be a fool. Listening to liars makes you invariably judge people you don´t know yet. So better don´t listen to liars.

That's fine once you've come to the realisation that they are fundamentally liars on what you've observed yourself. My point is/was that too many don't even take the first step to decide for themselves.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:11 am

Virtual737 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

That's fine once you've come to the realisation that they are fundamentally liars on what you've observed yourself. My point is/was that too many don't even take the first step to decide for themselves.

:checkmark:
Yup. That step is crucial, just like going to primary sources instead of relying on reporting about those sources.

best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Pretty much all of the US media has an agenda one way or another. Some are clearly extreme and I would only go there just to see what crazy looks like, but I do look at many angles before forming an opinion. Does the US have any news outlet that is akin to the BBC, whereby the reporting is balanced and typically without opinion, based solely on fact wherever possible?

I'm not American. I'm not Republican or Democrat, but pretty much any US citizen would label me as a Liberal. In the UK I would be labeled a Conservative. This doesn't mean I agree with all the Democrat's policies. It also doesn't mean that I don't agree with any Republican policies.

One of the biggest problems with much of western politics (and this seems to apply in the US more than anywhere else I've seen, although it does apply elsewhere) is that a member of party A can almost never support a policy from party B, not because it's not a good policy, but because the enemy came up with it. This typically means that the country and the people get a shit deal and the division just gets greater. With a 2 party political system, that means that close to half the country is always unhappy.

The issue in the US though is that folks like Ben Shapiro, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, Tucker Carlson, ....etc, etc have been on the airways for a long time. They sell time to advertisers to pay their way. They are what we in the US call Conservative Commentators. By Definition, they are opinion artists with a viewpoint that is strongly conservative. By itself, this would not be an issue, however they have figured out that starting stories with outright false statements and opining from there gives them a wider audience ,and allows them to obfuscate the truth. gaslight folks doing their jobs, attack identities, sell fear, and a host of other less than moral items. All for money from the wider audience and more lucrative advertisements that come with it. . In the US there is no law to limit their liability and they pass the ball between themselves setting up longer narratives for a few weeks, and crossover items to carry the lies and mistruths ever further. . They sell themselves as trustworthy news sources, but when brought to court, they get out of charges by saying that "No Reasonable Person" would believe what they are saying. However as we saw a few weeks ago reasonable people are not the issue. It is the unreasonable people that actually bought into the lies about election fraud that these folks all peddled with the politicians. And as seen by another thread. These Unreasonable people have been gaslighted for so long they don't even know where the lines of healthy debate and lies are. So dismissing the above folks is not done lightly. It is done after years of experience and watching the damage these folks have done to previously reasonable people.

If people want to have reasonable debates about subjects, don't start with one of the above folks , because you can't trust them at all.

luckyone

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Well, President Trump appears to have released all the pardons he is to issue before he’s officially done. None of the “special people,” whom he loves were recipients in spite of their insistence they deserved one. Oh to be a fly in the windmills of some of their minds. “Hold up, I was just doing what the President told me to do, and here I am in jail...but Lil Wayne got a pardon??” To quote the rapper himself, I guess it’s all about how you “lick lick lick lick lick lick it like a lollipop.”
Last edited by luckyone on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Instead of people in the National Mall, there are 200,000 flags and 56 light works representing the USA, states and territories and the 400,000 who are dead from Covid-19 to date. Last night, Biden, Harris and a few others attended a memorial ceremony to those dead from Covid-19. That is something Trump never did in any significant way. Due to security and Covid-19 the usual 100's of 1000's who appear in the Mall won't be there so those flags stand in our stead.

'Elvis has left the building' - Trump is on his way to Florida and his post-Presidential life.

Biden, Harris, political leaders of both parties attended a Catholic mass this morning.

The Capital area and much of the core government area of DC continues under a massive lockdown as the Inauguration will take place today. The question is when the 25,000 National Guard and other security persons will be withdrawn from the Capital and Mall area and what levels of security will be left in place.

Hopefully under President Biden we can unify to deal with the many issues from Covid-19 and related economic issues to our relations in the world

We must also hope that never again will we see our Capital become a scene of horror, to be accessible once again to the general public.

seb146

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Instead of people in the National Mall, there are 200,000 flags and 56 light works representing the USA, states and territories and the 400,000 who are dead from Covid-19 to date. Last night, Biden, Harris and a few others attended a memorial ceremony to those dead from Covid-19. That is something Trump never did in any significant way. Due to security and Covid-19 the usual 100's of 1000's who appear in the Mall won't be there so those flags stand in our stead.

'Elvis has left the building' - Trump is on his way to Florida and his post-Presidential life.

Biden, Harris, political leaders of both parties attended a Catholic mass this morning.

The Capital area and much of the core government area of DC continues under a massive lockdown as the Inauguration will take place today. The question is when the 25,000 National Guard and other security persons will be withdrawn from the Capital and Mall area and what levels of security will be left in place.

Hopefully under President Biden we can unify to deal with the many issues from Covid-19 and related economic issues to our relations in the world

We must also hope that never again will we see our Capital become a scene of horror, to be accessible once again to the general public.

Explain again why we need to unify with racists and people who attempted a violent overthrow of the government?

tommy1808

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:23 am

Geez, guess who was in the room when National Guard help was delayed..... Charles Flynn, brother of Michael Flynn.The Army denied him being in on any of the calls until now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 am

seb146 wrote:
Explain again why we need to unify with racists and people who attempted a violent overthrow of the government?

Because those are citizens just like you.

Even if reintegration may be a foreign concept in the US:
Mending is needed to continue without starting a civil war.

You currently have 1..2 million prison inmates ( mostly on more or less racist motivated pretexts.)
You can't expand that to 70+ million :-)

Jesus' philosophic attitudes should come in as an aid.
( Thumping the bible is so strong in the US, but that is a totally different thing.)

seb146

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 pm

WIederling wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because those are citizens just like you.

Even if reintegration may be a foreign concept in the US:
Mending is needed to continue without starting a civil war.

You currently have 1..2 million prison inmates ( mostly on more or less racist motivated pretexts.)
You can't expand that to 70+ million :-)

Jesus' philosophic attitudes should come in as an aid.
( Thumping the bible is so strong in the US, but that is a totally different thing.)

Racists have been embraced and emboldened by the Republican party. Why should the rest of us embrace them too when it clearly goes against "liberals" and Jesus for that matter.

EDIT:

These same people who were so offended over people kneeling during the National Anthem saying it was disrespectful fly disrespectful flags. So, why should we unite with such disrespectful people and people who practice such blatant double standards?

Dogman

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 pm

Is that the same Ben Shapiro who said that the ocean level will rise everywhere, and the owners of the houses that will get flooded, will just sell them and move elsewhere? I am not sure that he is a liar, maybe he is just not playing with a full deck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FGRkqUdf8

bennett123

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Two questions;

1. Who is the guy with the axe?.

2. What are security doing?.

Dogman

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Two questions;

1. A real estate agent.
2. Drowned.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Two questions;

1. Lumber Jack

2. Tree

MaverickM11

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Buddy, the fact that hes saying the 1619 project is better than the 1776 Bull Shit proves that he doesn't listen to that little boy with a crush on AOC

He has a crush on AOC? It seems like he pines for a big masc dom man more than my Grindr friends.

MaverickM11

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

Turning Point USA (of Charlie Kirk fame and his partner who he probably killed w/ covid) has a video on why SOSHULIZM BAD because Indian reservations, of course with zero context of how Native Americans wound up on reservations in the first place. This is right up there with Devos calling HBCUs 'pioneers of school choice'. It's not just the outright racism that can be seen from Mars--it's the stupidity that has inoculated their racism from any form of reality.

FGITD

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:35 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

He has a crush on AOC? It seems like he pines for a big masc dom man more than my Grindr friends.

As I recall, it originated when Ben claimed AOC was obsessed with the right, and he then proceeded to tweet at, or about her, something like 60 times in 2 days.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm

CNN has put together a list of some of the arrests so far. Me still wonders

Washington (CNN)Authorities are investigating hundreds of people in connection with the deadly pro-Trump riot at the US Capitol.
Some of the defendants are accused of bringing weapons to Capitol Hill. Others were photographed ransacking the building. Many are charged with unlawful entry or violent entry.
Here's what we know about some of those who have been charged.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/13/poli ... index.html

Other Good news is that Jon Schaffer, guitarist in Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards, also has been arrested and is facing six charges.
I assume that he can look forward to wearing orange for a decade or two.

Iced Earth founder and electric guitar player Jon Schaffer has been taken into custody and is facing six criminal charges relating to the violent riot at the
US Capitol building in Washington DC on January 6.

The FBI Indianapolis Field Office announced on Twitter that Schaffer, who resides in Columbus, IN, “faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with "bear spray."

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/iced-e ... ding-riots

Jon Ryan Schaffer, a native of Indiana and founder of the band Iced Earth, is accused of using "bear spray," a pepper-based irritant sold by
many outdoor retailers, on police officers as rioters forced their way into the Capitol building. A federal statement of facts in his case says
Schaffer was seen in photographs and video "engaging in verbal altercations with Capitol Police insider the Capitol building" and holding a container of bear spray.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertain ... 207250001/

Hopefully all of these will be convicted (and set to serve long sentences) which shouldn't be so hard with the amount of evidence provided by the terrorists themselves.

phatfarmlines

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Representative Kevin McCarthy insists all Americans bear responsibility for the insurrection. :lol:

Kevin McCarthy Slammed for Saying 'Everybody Across This Country' to Blame for Capitol Attack (Source: Newsweek)

I don't know Representative McCarthy, I was just watching the Electoral College meeting from the comfort of my own home.

bennett123

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 am

Nice try.

Does he really think that people will take this seriously.

GDB

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm

In the UK we had, maybe still have, a small joke party originally formed by 60's novelty rock act 'Screaming Lord Sutch', (a depressive who killed himself over 20 years ago), however it seem they re-branded and moved;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... false-flag

seb146

Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:24 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Nice try.

Does he really think that people will take this seriously.

The MAGA fans will. They never take responsibility for their illegal actions but, instead, blame everyone else. Look how quickly they blamed Democrats and "liberals" and MSM and Obama and literally everyone else for the MAGA terrorism of Jan. 6.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Representative Kevin McCarthy insists all Americans bear responsibility for the insurrection. :lol:

Kevin McCarthy Slammed for Saying 'Everybody Across This Country' to Blame for Capitol Attack (Source: Newsweek)

I don't know Representative McCarthy, I was just watching the Electoral College meeting from the comfort of my own home.

It's true, if all those people had been more patriotic and voted for Trump, there wouldn't have been the 'peaceful' insurrection. ;)

casinterest

Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:49 pm

cpd wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

It's true, if all those people had been more patriotic and voted for Trump, there wouldn't have been the 'peaceful' insurrection. ;)

I just don't think sarcasm cuts it for traitor McCarthy. His assertion that All Americans bear responsibility for the lies fostered and pushed by the GOP is not grounded in any clear logic. Those that donate to him might as well go to the Casino and throw the money on 0 at the roulette wheel. They will have a better chance for a return on their money.

skyservice_330

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 pm

Today, January 27, is International Holocaust Remembrance Day. This date marks the anniversary of the Soviet army's liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi concentration and death camp.

Exactly three weeks ago today on January 6 - 76 years later - a man stormed the capitol wearing a shirt that said ‘Camp Auschwitz’ and ‘Work Brings Freedom.’

76 years later. A stark reminder that dangerous and hateful views do not die easily. And, also, why fair minded, moral and principled people must always stand up to threats to democracy and its institutions.

GDB

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am

Meanwhile, another 'very fine person' has a past. Guess all that initiation by abstaining from 'Gentleman's Relaxation' and being punched by prospective comrades in arms had a few holes;
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -informant

bennett123

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:58 pm

I agree with the guy in the picture that the gentleman did nothing wrong.

The help that he gave to the FBI is commendable.

Might raise some concerns for his friends now ....

ltbewr
Topic Author

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:05 pm

And the stupidity continues. Due to hostile and offensive behaviors by Trump cultist and general RWNJ Rep. Greene (R-Ga) toward Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo and an Black woman) Speaker Peolosi has reassigned Rep. Bush's office for Rep. Bush's safety and to avoid confrontations. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1ddsU0

casinterest

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:14 pm

ltbewr wrote:
And the stupidity continues. Due to hostile and offensive behaviors by Trump cultist and general RWNJ Rep. Greene (R-Ga) toward Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo and an Black woman) Speaker Peolosi has reassigned Rep. Bush's office for Rep. Bush's safety and to avoid confrontations. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1ddsU0

Added stupidity still happening.

The Trump Cultist Representative Chip Roy is complaining about Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's tweets to Seditionist Ted Cruz.

"I am happy to work with Republicans on this issue where there's common ground, but you almost had me murdered 3 weeks ago so you can sit this one out," the New York congresswoman wrote in a tweet directed at the Texas senator Thursday. "Happy to work w/ almost any other GOP that aren't trying to get me killed. In the meantime if you want to help, you can resign."
She continued, "You haven't even apologized for the serious physical + mental harm you contributed to from Capitol Police & custodial workers to your own fellow members of Congress. In the meantime, you can get off my timeline & stop clout-chasing. Thanks."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/politics ... index.html

FGITD

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Chip Roy says they'll seek condemnation via other means if AOC doesn't apologise. Like what, they'll try to to get a mob to kill her again?

Hard to argue with AOC on this one. Cruz's tweet was a terrible tag along, basically saying "yea, me too! Look everyone, I'm trying to win back your support!"

Cruz is a traitor to the US, and his words carry less honor than a take out menu. Let him think he's the victim and let him rot.

casinterest

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 pm

Fox news, Giuliani , and Powell getting sued for 2.7 Billion for their roles in undermining the US elections that led to the riot.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/media/re ... index.html

Smartmatic filed a $2.7 billion lawsuit on Thursday against Fox News, some of the network's star hosts, including Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro and pro-Trump attorneys Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell, alleging the parties worked in concert to wage a "disinformation campaign" about the company. Read the full lawsuit below:

I think this one will be interesting to see how right wing media plays out the coming trial.

petertenthije

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
I think this one will be interesting to see how right wing media plays out the coming trial.

If they feel confident about their claims, they’ll go on a full media offensive.

If they don’t feel confident they will keep very quiet and settle out of court for a few million.

My guess is on the latter.

seb146

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:22 pm

Was anyone else underwhelmed and not surprised by MTG unpology and spin to make herself the victim? She said what she said. It is out there. It was not mashed up like the episode of Simpsons where Homer was accused of sexual harassment by the babysitter.

The House members who are putting together the prosecution have asked the former golfer in chief to testify under oath

https://apnews.com/article/house-dems-t ... 5ec8c37000

Of course, he has more important things to do than defend his role in the attempted violent coup.

luckyone

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:13 am

seb146 wrote:
Was anyone else underwhelmed and not surprised by MTG unpology and spin to make herself the victim? She said what she said. It is out there. It was not mashed up like the episode of Simpsons where Homer was accused of sexual harassment by the babysitter.

The House members who are putting together the prosecution have asked the former golfer in chief to testify under oath

Of course, he has more important things to do than defend his role in the attempted violent coup.

MTG is a provocateur (the kind that conservatives love to hate until its one of their own, she reminds me a lot of Madonna), and ultimately a 21st Century carpetbagger. This drama with her committee appointments was entirely predictable, and quite possibly a fight the GOP intentionally picked. She would be a millstone around the GOP in a statewide or national election, and they knew this. They could throw her to the wolves and then play martyr.

seb146

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:51 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:

MTG is a provocateur (the kind that conservatives love to hate until its one of their own, she reminds me a lot of Madonna), and ultimately a 21st Century carpetbagger. This drama with her committee appointments was entirely predictable, and quite possibly a fight the GOP intentionally picked. She would be a millstone around the GOP in a statewide or national election, and they knew this. They could throw her to the wolves and then play martyr.

I think Republicans are going to continue to point to her and claim they are patriots for punishing one of their own while, at the same time, encouraging all the others like Cruz and Hawley.

luckyone

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:57 am

seb146 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I think Republicans are going to continue to point to her and claim they are patriots for punishing one of their own while, at the same time, encouraging all the others like Cruz and Hawley.

Except they didn’t punish her. True, 11 Reps voted with Democrats (one more than voted to impeach), the Republican leadership said and did very little. They’re divided and rather toothless right now, as seen by the Cheney vote. As for Hawley and Cruz, they would be foolish to subject themselves to such a liability.

casinterest

Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:48 pm

petertenthije wrote:
casinterest wrote:

If they feel confident about their claims, they’ll go on a full media offensive.

If they don’t feel confident they will keep very quiet and settle out of court for a few million.

Me too, and it appears it is only the leading edge of the avalanche of cases to come.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dominio ... uit-2021-2
luckyone wrote:
Except they didn’t punish her. True, 11 Reps voted with Democrats (one more than voted to impeach), the Republican leadership said and did very little. They’re divided and rather toothless right now, as seen by the Cheney vote. As for Hawley and Cruz, they would be foolish to subject themselves to such a liability.

The GOP is continuing to sell themselves out to the uneducated right wing side of the party. That only 11 Republicans decided ejecting a woman that rejects knowledge from an education board was a good idea is a telling sign.

Cheney's secret ballot vote was only by a margin so wide because the GOP could hide their vote from the constituents using a secret ballot.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/politics ... index.html
The vote was 145 to keep her in her position as House Republican Conference chair, and 61 to remove her, plus one member who voted present, according to several people in the room.

luckyone

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:26 pm

petertenthije wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Indeed. These lawsuits filed by Dominion and Smartmatic aren't intended to gain any significant financial benefits. The lawsuits are intended to get a gag order.