Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

art
Topic Author

Re: Does Trump have sufficient capacity to continue?

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:46 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Any use of impeachment or the 25th against Trump will most likely turn political - the judge, jury and jailers are all politicians.
As such, any decisions as to what to do will invariably be somewhat political in nature

It sounds like the US is so highly politicised that politics has crippled the application of the law.

GDB

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 am

art wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
Any use of impeachment or the 25th against Trump will most likely turn political - the judge, jury and jailers are all politicians.
As such, any decisions as to what to do will invariably be somewhat political in nature

It sounds like the US is so highly politicised that politics has crippled the application of the law.

Well it certainly affected their response to the biggest public health crisis in 100 years, not only in the typically incompetent Trump admin response but the general anti science / conspiracy wack job attitude which exist elsewhere too though nowhere near the levels of the US and not embraced by much of one of the major political parties/President.

MAGA? Don't make me laugh. 'Great Again?' Risible, 50 years ago the US was sending people to the Moon and the world looked on in admiration and wonder. Now? A hotbed of anti rationalism led from the very top.

seahawk

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 am

GDB wrote:
MAGA? Don't make me laugh. 'Great Again?' Risible, 50 years ago the US was sending people to the Moon and the world looked on in admiration and wonder. Now? A hotbed of anti rationalism led from the very top.

That is the amazing thing. The country that put a man on the moon now has a large part of the population that the earth is flat and the moon landing was a lie.

Aesma

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:00 am

Imagine if there had been less tax cuts under Reagan, but instead a Mars landing programme ? Prompting kids to study science and engineering instead of finance and law ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Zeppi

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:17 am

seahawk wrote:
That is the amazing thing. The country that put a man on the moon now has a large part of the population that the earth is flat and the moon landing was a lie.

And you can't even fully credit the US with that achievement, all they really did was throw virtually unlimited amounts of money at von Braun's team to make it happen...

The USA of today are really two fundamentally different countries in one. Along the coasts you have a generally pretty well educated, secular and science driven population which shows in terms of innovative, social and economic progress. In between you basically have a rudimentary backwater society driven by religion, superstition and archaic values which again, shows in terms of lack of innovative, social and economic progress.

bennett123

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 am

My main concern is that he is also Commander in Chief.

Could he declare a state of emergency and essentially establish martial law.

I know that this sounds crazy but...

Aesma

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 am

If rumours are true that Trump prevented the military from sending the national guard on multiple occasions, until Pence gave the order, then in practice the 25th is already in effect.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VolvoBus

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:26 pm

WIederling wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Security codes are routinely changed, even at work.

Perhaps the codes HAVE been changed and they forgot to tell him.

0 - 0 - 0 - 0

.. for a long time afaik.

I hope they are more secure than the access code to Trump's Twitter account. A Dutch hacker claimed that it took less than 5 attempts to find maga2020 !

VolvoBus

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:40 pm

Newark727 wrote:
25th seems unlikely - seems a lot of the cabinet would rather resign.

My newsfeed says that Betsy DeVos (Education) and Elaine Chao (Transportation) aka Mrs Mitch McConnell have handed in their resignations.

Have they finally had enough, or get out now rather than have to make a very public decision over a 25th Amendment vote ?

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
No, he doesn't. But options like 2nd impeachment or 25th are not good in a divided nation.

"Don´t enforce laws because some people may not like it" is a fairly novel approach to "Law & Order".

best regards
Thomas

My goal is to keep USA calm and peaceful for the next four years. We had enough drama last four years.

Red states are mostly still red. Blue states are still blue. Swing states are 50.1:49.9, it is a highly divided nation.

All it does is Trump bragging for years to come I am the only one impeached twice, never happened in the history of the USA.

I would like to have few articles/amendments left alone during one presidency.

Now that Presidency, House and Senate are with Democrats, do something good for the people.
All posts are just opinions.

WIederling

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:45 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
WIederling wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Security codes are routinely changed, even at work.

Perhaps the codes HAVE been changed and they forgot to tell him.

0 - 0 - 0 - 0

.. for a long time afaik.

I hope they are more secure than the access code to Trump's Twitter account. A Dutch hacker claimed that it took less than 5 attempts to find maga2020 !

According to nuclear safety expert Bruce G. Blair, the US Air Force's Strategic Air Command worried that in times of need the codes for the Minuteman ICBM force would not be available, so it quietly decided to set the codes to 00000000 in all missile launch control centers.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permissive_Action_Link

(obviously) disputed by the US AF.
true? in view of a wide range of other "hack me" gaffes originting with US institutions ...
Murphy is an optimist

ltbewr

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:01 pm

On Thursday evening, Trump put out a recorded message that some described as something a hostage would read. He barely acknowledges Biden will be the President on 1/20, states that there will be a 'peaceful transition' but still has the delusion that the results were 'rigged' against him. It is likely he was told to do it or face the 25th Amendment temporary removal from office.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp

Despite the calls for Impeachment, invoking the 25th Amendment, resignation, none are likely to happen with only a few days left of his term.for practical and timing reasons. We must ask those around Trump to keep him in check as best as possible, keep him away from social media and hope he doesn't do anything stupid. Maybe they could slip some sedatives into his cheeseburgers and diet Cokes to keep him in control until he takes that last ride from the WH to Mar-A-Largo and hopefully an end to this 'long national nightmare'.

GDB

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm

While I do understand the calls to 'let him be' etc, my fear is that the principal actors in all this will escape justice.
Comparisons are being made with Weimar Germany, well Hitler's jail term for instigating the 1923 riot was very soft, delivered by a sympathetic judge.

In 1997, the BBC did a groundbreaking series 'The Nazi's, A Warning From History', the first episode dealt in detail about how in effect the Nazi's were helped to power, including by right wing businessmen and groups, not affiliated with the Nazi's who nonetheless saw this odd ex WW1 Junior NCO, lower class as he was, as a useful tool for their aims and fear of Communists. And when he got into power, well they'd be able to control him, wouldn't they?

Who would have thought the US would have as President just 19 years later someone who fit that description rather well.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:45 pm

GDB wrote:
While I do understand the calls to 'let him be' etc, my fear is that the principal actors in all this will escape justice.

There are other venues to serve justice. No one is asking to drop any existing or not to bring any future charges.

Using the federal legislative or executive branches to achieve this is unworthy.

casinterest

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Looks like Trump is working hard on the 25th Amendment getting invoked.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 6863553542

And he is still a sore loser.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 0578266115

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·

To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aesma

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:19 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
GDB wrote:

There are other venues to serve justice. No one is asking to drop any existing or not to bring any future charges.

Using the federal legislative or executive branches to achieve this is unworthy.

The 25th was probably possible after about a week of Trump in power, what is "unworthy" is that it had to get to this point before some GOP members finally consider it.

Impeachment has already happened, and there is grounds to impeach him 10 times over, but of course you need people with integrity in the Senate to convict...

luckyone

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
Looks like Trump is working hard on the 25th Amendment getting invoked.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 6863553542

And he is still a sore loser.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 0578266115

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·

To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.

Bless his heart...

LittleFokker

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:00 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
25th seems unlikely - seems a lot of the cabinet would rather resign.

My newsfeed says that Betsy DeVos (Education) and Elaine Chao (Transportation) aka Mrs Mitch McConnell have handed in their resignations.

Have they finally had enough, or get out now rather than have to make a very public decision over a 25th Amendment vote ?

They're just cowardly rats getting off the ship. They don't have the courage to participate in a 25A vote, so they're resigning and pretending that they were bothered by Trump's stoking of the riots (as if it was something new). They were not worthy of respect because of the way each treated their office and they still don't deserve any respect for cowardly leaving out the side door.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

art
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Aesma wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
GDB wrote:

The 25th was probably possible after about a week of Trump in power, what is "unworthy" is that it had to get to this point before some GOP members finally consider it.

Impeachment has already happened, and there is grounds to impeach him 10 times over, but of course you need people with integrity in the Senate to convict...

I don't think that there would be much point in impeaching him now but I see him leaving him in power for the balance of his term as a risk (desperate and possibly deranged as he appears to be), so I want him out of control ASAP.

Come to think of it, he is out of control but not in the way I meant.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Both Trump and Pence can resign and President Pelosi can cancel the elections. I am ok with that, we will have better progress next four years.

Aesma

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:47 pm

French TV reporting that Pelosi asked the military what was being done to prevent Trump from launching a nuclear strike.

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
French TV reporting that Pelosi asked the military what was being done to prevent Trump from launching a nuclear strike.

The French should know that Trump cannot (it is IMPOSSIBLE) launch a nuclear weapon on his own. He needs two or three other American officials to concur before launching any strike in coordination with the Joint Chiefs. Trump cannot get that far no matter how hard he even tried. Trust me on this.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

acavpics

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm

cpd wrote:
How do we know that he won’t just continue to organise unrest and mob violence from his supporters even after Biden takes over as President?

After he leaves office, press charges on him for inciting violence, and arrest him. Plain and simple.
Even if he is a billionaire, he will just be an ordinary man after he is no longer president, making an arrest way easier.

vrbarreto

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:31 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The French should know that Trump cannot (it is IMPOSSIBLE) launch a nuclear weapon on his own. He needs two or three other American officials to concur before launching any strike in coordination with the Joint Chiefs. Trump cannot get that far no matter how hard he even tried. Trust me on this.

Has he noticed that they show him a speak'n'spell when he asks to look in the briefcase?

And I suppose he couldn't possibly get past the first question either..

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:34 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Has he noticed that they show him a speak'n'spell when he asks to look in the briefcase?

And I suppose he couldn't possibly get past the first question either..

I don't think he really cares. He only cares about himself and no one but himself.

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:46 pm

NBC News is reporting that Trump loyalist Hope Hicks is leaving the White House next week. The LIVE blog article goes on to state that her leaving early had no bearing on the insurrection itself, and that her leaving was planned weeks before.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... BlogHeader

wingman

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I think Pelosi, all of us really, have to be concerned about those 2-3 "other" officials. For all his faults Trump successfully assembled the greatest collection of sychophantic cultists is American history. Of the 70M that didn't have the intelligence or courage to see through his treasonous bullshit don't you think 2-3 of them may have ended up being part of this nuclear launch team? I haven't seen the numbers but I'm pretty sure more than half of senior military officers voted for this Russian puppet. They may have "discipline" and "leadership skills" but like many F500 CEO's they were more than willing to turn a blind eye to Trump's brutal destruction of American values and unity in the name of tax savings or shiny new weapons systems. I guarantee you'd find more than a few "nuke code" folks just as unhinged and bat-shit crazy as Trump. Look at that Air Force vet that died. I bet that outside of social media anyone that met her would've come away thinking "nice lady, I admire her for serving her country". But in reality she was mentally disturbed and swayed by the most infantile, yet lethally dangerous rantings of a lunatic. I bet some of her former commanding officers are just as unstable.

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:47 pm

wingman wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Pelosi

I am not defending Pelosi, but I will admit that I have no idea where Pelosi gets off by being so worried about nuclear launch codes when the protocol for launching them has a set of procedures that has to be done prior to doing so. I am amazed that she forgot about that part. Launching a nuclear weapon might sound easy, but in reality, it is not.

VolvoBus

Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm

GDB wrote:
Comparisons are being made with Weimar Germany, well Hitler's jail term for instigating the 1923 riot was very soft, delivered by a sympathetic judge.

In 1997, the BBC did a groundbreaking series 'The Nazi's, A Warning From History', the first episode dealt in detail about how in effect the Nazi's were helped to power, including by right wing businessmen and groups, not affiliated with the Nazi's who nonetheless saw this odd ex WW1 Junior NCO, lower class as he was, as a useful tool for their aims and fear of Communists. And when he got into power, well they'd be able to control him, wouldn't they?

Who would have thought the US would have as President just 19 years later someone who fit that description rather well.

'Odd ex WW1 Junior NCO' who was wounded twice serving on the Western Front against Donald 'I will fight to the last drop of your blood' Trump's bone spurs ?

tommy1808

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:19 pm

art wrote:
Aesma wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

I don't think that there would be much point in impeaching him now but I see him leaving him in power for the balance of his term as a risk (desperate and possibly deranged as he appears to be), so I want him out of control ASAP.

Come to think of it, he is out of control but not in the way I meant.

No pension, no government funded health care, no secret service protection and no running for office again seem a worthwhile goal in itself.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

tommy1808

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:22 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
wingman wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Pelosi

I am not defending Pelosi, but I will admit that I have no idea where Pelosi gets off by being so worried about nuclear launch codes when the protocol for launching them has a set of procedures that has to be done prior to doing so. I am amazed that she forgot about that part. Launching a nuclear weapon might sound easy, but in reality, it is not.

Ah.. he explained why she has every right to worry, considering Trump had been installing cronies for years.
And he absolutely can create a mess for the US without nukes.

Best regards
Thomas

STT757

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:32 pm

The next shoe to drop is the pardons, that's when we will know we're at the end. After what happened I don't see Trump resigning and Vice President Pence issuing him a pardon. I see Trump issuing a self pardon, which will not work. I see severe charges being brought against Trump both in State courts and Federal.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AirframeAS

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:52 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
wingman wrote:

Pelosi

Keywords here: Without nukes. He can create messes as he seems fit (not that I would legally advise to do so), but he cannot do anything with the nukes, again, no matter how hard he tries. I will say that the worry is warranted, and should be brought up.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:37 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Keywords here: Without nukes. He can create messes as he seems fit (not that I would legally advise to do so), but he cannot do anything with the nukes, again, no matter how hard he tries. I will say that the worry is warranted, and should be brought up.

Unless he has the right people installed to confirm his order, or uses conventional weapons to goat the other guy into shooting first. North Korea would come to mind. Or a Chinese missile boat. Have you seen the videos of cops waving terrorists into the Capitol, who knows where else his 5th column is...

Best regards
Thomas

rlwynn

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:23 pm

They have to inpeach him. There is not enough time for that but on the 20th however far it is along the work can just be stopped. There can be no situation where a President can be allowed to get away with all he has done without consequence.
I can drive faster than you

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 am

If the Department of Defense is, as rumored, following plans that would ignore a nuclear launch order from the sitting POTUS, then by definition the President is no longer leading the county and should be removed IMMEDIATELY or be forced out. Talk about a Constitutional crisis.
PNW-based private pilot and engineer. #fatpnw

jetmatt777

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:16 am

Is there any clause in the 25th that instructs when the American people are to be made aware of such a decision? What if it has already happened, but in order to prevent an uprising by the trump cult it will not be made public until after Jan 20?

This may explain his cabinet members resigning. (after invoking it)
Trump announced he won't be at the inauguration.
Congress seems pretty slow to move on the impeachment, waiting over the weekend. This could be to buy time to show that "something" is being done.
Military rumored to be instructed to ignore any launch orders by POTUS.
All of the sudden all social media companies have blocked him, changing their tune that "elected leaders" should have access to the platform even if rules are broken.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
If the Department of Defense is, as rumored, following plans that would ignore a nuclear launch order from the sitting POTUS, then by definition the President is no longer leading the county and should be removed IMMEDIATELY or be forced out. Talk about a Constitutional crisis.

This is what I'm referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CbabWH56Y

Aesma

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:45 am

AirframeAS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Tell that to Pelosi, because she did ask : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KyKxphDIU

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:07 am

Republican Governor Larry Hogan calls for Trump's removal https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/20 ... 580215002/

luckyone

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Is there any clause in the 25th that instructs when the American people are to be made aware of such a decision? What if it has already happened, but in order to prevent an uprising by the trump cult it will not be made public until after Jan 20?

This may explain his cabinet members resigning. (after invoking it)
Trump announced he won't be at the inauguration.
Congress seems pretty slow to move on the impeachment, waiting over the weekend. This could be to buy time to show that "something" is being done.
Military rumored to be instructed to ignore any launch orders by POTUS.
All of the sudden all social media companies have blocked him, changing their tune that "elected leaders" should have access to the platform even if rules are broken.

An off the record 25th would be it’s own coup. And not appropriate. I would not be surprised if it’s been drafted used as a threat behind closed doors, though. If true, to her credit, DeVos said she resigned after the 25th wasn’t invoked.

acavpics

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 am

Can someone just give a wild guesstimate: What are the odds that Trump will be arrested (for whatever crime(a)) after he leaves office?

I just want him out of public influence forever!

luckyone

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:17 am

acavpics wrote:
Can someone just give a wild guesstimate: What are the odds that Trump will be arrested (for whatever crime(a)) after he leaves office?

I’m not an odds maker. But let’s look at from this angle: Senator Sasse claims he was speaking to someone in the White House who witnessed Trump celebrating. If that person is named or otherwise identified they can be subpoenaed. What would be the charge for not doing anything to quell a riot or refusing to assist law enforcement?

prebennorholm

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 am

acavpics wrote:

Trump isn't THE problem. Among millions of random people there will always be people like Trump.

The problem is a large political party which is so poorly organized that it can nominate such people to be elected to serve important jobs.

Trump's acts during the last four years were not based on his fear of fines or prison. The goal shall be to avoid a similar disaster in the future. Trump or similar people cannot help with that. It takes decent work from ordinary intelligent people.

The GOP has a lot of hard work to do.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

AirframeAS

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:03 am

tommy1808 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Unless he has the right people installed to confirm his order, or uses conventional weapons to goat the other guy into shooting first. North Korea would come to mind. Or a Chinese missile boat.....

No one in the U.S. Government is that stupid, given the situation that we have with Trump at the moment. Trust me, these people know the difference between right and wrong....and Trump's current mental state.

tommy1808

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:17 am

AirframeAS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Unless he has the right people installed to confirm his order, or uses conventional weapons to goat the other guy into shooting first. North Korea would come to mind. Or a Chinese missile boat.....

No one in the U.S. Government is that stupid, given the situation that we have with Trump at the moment. Trust me, these people know the difference between right and wrong....and Trump's current mental state.

Three days ago I would have trusted law enforcement in DC to fend of a terrorist attack on the Capitol, alas, we have seen them waving those folks in and take selfies with them.

Best regards
Thomas

GDB

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:29 am

tommy1808 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Three days ago I would have trusted law enforcement in DC to fend of a terrorist attack on the Capitol, alas, we have seen them waving those folks in and take selfies with them.

Best regards
Thomas

Quite right, really the rest of the world and I expect much of the US, won't be easily convinced by breezy assurances after these events, which are shaping up to be much more serious than just a mob incited by a sitting president - which is enough in itself to warrant huge concern about the security of major US institutions including the POTUS as C in C.
And there is a precedent, you won't be surprised from the last GOP crook as President, Nixon.

As the Watergate investigation closed in on the White House, Kissinger and the Secretary Of Defense apparently took steps to ensure any military order relayed by Nixon went through them first, Unconstitutional? Maybe, however Kissinger had a right to be worried when he got calls from Nixon, depressed, drunk, the usual self pity and lashing out at imagined opponents but it was the 'we gotta nuke 'em Henry' that was the worry.

And he has still not been arrested for sedition, this is what the rest of the world really do not get.

art
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:47 am

GDB wrote:
And he has still not been arrested for sedition, this is what the rest of the world really do not get.

To me the first step would be to strip him of power. I think there are probably people in his cabinet who would fear for their safety if they voted to remove him from office using the 25th Amendment.

acavpics

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 pm

prebennorholm wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Trump isn't THE problem. Among millions of random people there will always be people like Trump.

The problem is a large political party which is so poorly organized that it can nominate such people to be elected to serve important jobs.

Trump's acts during the last four years were not based on his fear of fines or prison. The goal shall be to avoid a similar disaster in the future. Trump or similar people cannot help with that. It takes decent work from ordinary intelligent people.

The GOP has a lot of hard work to do.

And that’s precisely why I want him arrested. Then people in the GOP will likely learn a lesson: “This (arrest) is what will happen to you if you pull off a Donald Trump.”

That will definitely make them more careful next time. If Trump is just released as a free man, he will likely fuel right wing nuts even more.

ArcticSEA

Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Nearly 60% of Americans want Trump removed
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2021/1/1 ... auguration