Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NYCVIE
Topic Author

Twitter permanently suspends Trump's account

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:13 am

A little under an hour ago, Twitter announced they would permanently be suspending Trump's account "due to the risk of further incitement of violence". I figure people may have thoughts about this specifically and what it means so here's a dedicated thread.

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/statu ... 7634838528 - Twitter's response.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump - Trump's deactivated account.

B717fan

Re: Twitter permanently suspends Trump's account

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:15 am

From the Twitter statement:

"Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021. "

Wow...

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:16 am

It should have been removed years ago. However, Twitter allowing CCP officials, for example, to remain on its platform is a bit ironic. Some say this sets a dangerous precedent but I disagree. Hate, incitement of violence, of all types should not be granted a platform. Apple and Google are threatening the removal of Parler, which I support. You do not have a First Amendment right to a Twitter account (or a book deal, Senator Hawley).
PNW-based private pilot and engineer. #fatpnw

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 am

B717fan wrote:

"Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021. "

Wow...

I remember the horrors of Oklahoma City. Literally a couple weeks ago a single man amassed enough explosives to basically level several blocks of downtown Nashville. That should scare the hell out of everyone. Security around state houses and legislatures needs to be stepped up 100%. Dark days ahead.

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
It should have been removed years ago. However, Twitter allowing CCP officials, for example, to remain on its platform is a bit ironic. Some say this sets a dangerous precedent but I disagree. Hate, incitement of violence, of all types should not be granted a platform. Apple and Google are threatening the removal of Parler, which I support. You do not have a First Amendment right to a Twitter account (or a book deal, Senator Hawley).

Agree. But as for Parlar, not so sure. There is a finite amount of minutes in the day. If the crazies use up all of theirs there, it keeps the lanes clear elsewhere by simple market fragmentation. OTOH, I do get the concern of giving potential troublemakers a place to meet...
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:57 am

Trump back on Twitter: https://twitter.com/barronjohn1946

Aaron747

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:59 am

ArcticSEA wrote:

Well no - important to recognize that official government accounts don’t get banned. Trump’s personal account is suspended, but he can still post on the official POTUS account (which he hardly uses)
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

alfa164

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
Trump back on Twitter: https://twitter.com/barronjohn1946

That's funny! Almost like Devin Nunes Cow...

;)

https://twitter.com/devinnunescow?lang=en
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

NIKV69

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:20 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Agree. But as for Parlar, not so sure. There is a finite amount of minutes in the day. If the crazies use up all of theirs there, it keeps the lanes clear elsewhere by simple market fragmentation. OTOH, I do get the concern of giving potential troublemakers a place to meet...

I went there to see what was it about the first page I saw the graphics looked like 7 year old did them so I will stay with Twitter.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

art

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 am

B717fan wrote:

Wow...

Seems like madness to me, I would expect any attempt to repeat forced entry into the Capitol building to be countered with whatever measures are needed. I hope these people come round to realising that and abandon any such plans.

Aesma

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:
ArcticSEA wrote:

Well no - important to recognize that official government accounts don’t get banned. Trump’s personal account is suspended, but he can still post on the official POTUS account (which he hardly uses)

What matters is the content. I doubt Trump has direct control of the POTUS account, else it would show the same stuff as his personal one, and should be banned too (until Trump is no longer POTUS).

Twitters only wants to remove the worst content. And nipples of course. Nipples are very dangerous.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:41 am

I heard Trump went to the racist Parlar account so he can be surrounded by the cult. He won't care anyway.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

ltbewr

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:46 am

There needs to be a new law in the USA that the President, VP, certain Cabinet and security staff cannot have a personal Twitter or other social media account while in office but can use 'official' accounts. The rule should also include all personal e-mails of such officers and staff to have to go through a Government controlled secured server.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 am

ltbewr wrote:
There needs to be a new law in the USA that the President, VP, certain Cabinet and security staff cannot have a personal Twitter or other social media account while in office but can use 'official' accounts. The rule should also include all personal e-mails of such officers and staff to have to go through a Government controlled secured server.

Alternatively, we can elect people to office that don't have a mental illness.

ThePointblank

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:52 am

Apparently, Google has yanked the Parler app from their App Store, and Apple has warned Parler that either they start moderating their platform within 24 hours, or they'll be removed as well.

moo

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 am

ltbewr wrote:

Im surprised this isnt already the case - consider that Twitters private messaging system is completely outside of official monitoring, and the type of people Trump likes to discuss things with. Its a perfect mechanism for discussing particular topics under the radar.

But her emails...

Newark727

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 am

I suppose it's better to do it now, than to not do it at all, but still. Four years too late.

seb146

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:32 am

Newark727 wrote:
I suppose it's better to do it now, than to not do it at all, but still. Four years too late.

I disagree. There is now a digital record of his incitement of violence and treason. If they would have banned him four years ago, there would be no evidence of how terrible he is.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 am

ltbewr wrote:

No. Their personal social media accounts should be part of the public record. I want to see who these people are who represent us. I want to see how their personal lives will shape legislation. There should be protections for those who raise red flags and report emails, even on personal accounts, over things like racist support or terrorist activities.

seb146

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:40 am

I am concerned because has anyone ever dealt with someone with an addiction? Or ever watched the show "Intervention"?

flyguy89

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:57 am

The legality of Twitter suspending Trump’s account is clear, and I’m not sorry to see them do it. Apple and Google’s move vis a vis Parler is concerning to me however.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 am

@TeamTrump has also been banned.

Aesma

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:28 am

moo wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Im surprised this isnt already the case - consider that Twitters private messaging system is completely outside of official monitoring, and the type of people Trump likes to discuss things with. Its a perfect mechanism for discussing particular topics under the radar.

But her emails...

Public stuff and private stuff aren't the same thing (can you even do private stuff on twitter ?). Telegram is useful for private stuff, although I'm not sure it's that private anymore.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

stratosphere

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:42 am

Well FB just removed the walk away campaign group so tell me what was wrong with that? Just people who disagreed with the Democrats that they were a part of and switched sides. So now that is a threat too? This is a slippery slope we are on now. Liberals and progressives generally always tried to stifle conservative speech. This proves it. We should all be scared of this. This is no better than the communists and what China does. You don't like Trump I get it I don't much like him either. But to shut down dissenting opinion because you don't like it is a real problem.
Last edited by stratosphere on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:47 am

stratosphere wrote:
Well FB just removed the walk away campaign group so tell me what was wrong with that? Just people who disagreed with the Democrats that they were a part of and switched sides. So now that is a threat too? This is a slippery slope we are on now. Liberals and progressives generally always tried to stifle conservative speech. This proves it. We should all be scared of this. This is nothing better than the communists and what China does. You don't like Trump I get it I don't much like him either. But to shut down dissenting opinion because you don't like it is a real problem.

This is not a rights issue - the first amendment explicitly does not apply to privately owned platforms like FB. You agreed to an end-user license agreement when you signed up that almost assuredly gives them the power to do this. Is that a crappy way to have our national conversation? Certainly. But we probably should have thought of that before we made these some of the most powerful private companies on earth.

luckyone

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 am

stratosphere wrote:
Well FB just removed the walk away campaign group so tell me what was wrong with that? Just people who disagreed with the Democrats that they were a part of and switched sides. So now that is a threat too? This is a slippery slope we are on now. Liberals and progressives generally always tried to stifle conservative speech. This proves it. We should all be scared of this. This is no better than the communists and what China does. You don't like Trump I get it I don't much like him either. But to shut down dissenting opinion because you don't like it is a real problem.

Two words: Dixie...Chicks...

stratosphere

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 am

Newark727 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
Well FB just removed the walk away campaign group so tell me what was wrong with that? Just people who disagreed with the Democrats that they were a part of and switched sides. So now that is a threat too? This is a slippery slope we are on now. Liberals and progressives generally always tried to stifle conservative speech. This proves it. We should all be scared of this. This is nothing better than the communists and what China does. You don't like Trump I get it I don't much like him either. But to shut down dissenting opinion because you don't like it is a real problem.

This is not a rights issue - the first amendment explicitly does not apply to privately owned platforms like FB. You agreed to an end-user license agreement when you signed up that almost assuredly gives them the power to do this. Is that a crappy way to have our national conversation? Certainly. But we probably should have thought of that before we made these some of the most powerful private companies on earth.

You are correct private companies can do what they want. .They also do not need 230 protection either. When all media platforms available take one side and try to bury any other opinions that is a major problem in my book .

luckyone

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:52 am

stratosphere wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

You are correct private companies can do what they want. .They also do not need 230 protection either. When all media platforms available take one side and try to bury any other opinions that is a major problem in my book .

The irony in your protest is that without 230 protection, social media platforms would be MORE scrupulous about whom and what they permit to be posted.

Newark727

Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:57 am

stratosphere wrote:

I'm not automatically opposed to reexamining social media companies' liability requirements. We have to take it from a position of honesty though, not just retaliation for banning the wrong people.

BN747

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 am

stratosphere wrote:
Well FB just removed the walk away campaign group so tell me what was wrong with that? Just people who disagreed with the Democrats that they were a part of and switched sides. So now that is a threat too? This is a slippery slope we are on now. Liberals and progressives generally always tried to stifle conservative speech. This proves it. We should all be scared of this. This is nothing better than the communists and what China does.

'Conservative speech' (if Hannity & Limbaugh) are the flag bearers of such is proving to morph into something else..
When facts don't matter and historical context is consistently omitted, then 'Conservative speech' needs to called by it's name...
'Ignorant Speech' we cannot allow a standard of such high regard (facts) to be pissed on, watered down and dismissed in any setting or scenario where the livelihoods of people are concerned.

Think about that.

Should the Mentality Challenge have a say at the table of decision? Mentality Challenge Speech, now?

'Conservative speech' needs to clean up it's act and infuse a mix of intellect, fact-based components in order to be considered worth anything.

A recent listening to a Hannity radio broadcast scared the daylights out of me after him ginning up his millions of followers over false bullshit. I couldn't believe any educated person would tune in daily to listen to such an assault on the human brain.

[quote="stratosphere"You don't like Trump I get it[/quote]

Hearing conservatives say that, just drives me nuts. My settled up reply now is 'No, I hate all ignorant people equally...."

[quote="stratosphere"I don't much like him either. But to shut down dissenting opinion because you don't like it is a real problem.[/quote]

When a world leader doesn't hold back from ginning up a street mob to cause damage (I don't think lesser leaders like Louis Farrakhan has reached that level) to attack the US Govt himself?

Yeah, he needs to be shut down. Thankfully Pelosi didn't by his 'concession skit' for one second, as his next set of tweets wiped that all out.
Pelosi went to work on ousting his ass anyway necessary. His speech for the foreseeable future is extremely dangerous...

...a greedy criminal idiot addressing millions of who will listen and act on anything he says..is dangerous.

Just ask some family members of Covid deaths.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Virtual737

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 am

ArcticSEA wrote:
Alternatively, we can elect people to office that don't have a mental illness.

Lol. I was wondering why that wasn't the first response. Unfortunately we'd need voters that don't have a mental illness too, but can live in hope.

moo

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:10 am

stratosphere wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

You do realise that Facebook and Twitter are the only companies that would survive a repeal of Section 230, right? This forum, gone. Gmail, Yahoo mail, gone. Newsgroups, gone. Forums, gone. Comments sections on websites, gone. Forget getting someone to host a website for you, it wouldnt be worth it for them, so you would be hosting your own website on your own internet connection - same goes for email. A section 230 repeal would have seen Trump off of Twitter before he took office.

Section 230 is what allows Parlor to exist when people dont like Twitter.

ArcticSEA

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:17 am

c933103

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:29 am

I have saw many comments like, if what Trump wrote on Twitter is bannable on the grounf being given, then why won't Twitter do more in Japan where "countless" amount have died to online bullying occurring through Twitter? And why won't Twitter do more to posts made by representative of authoritarian that are promoting more significant evils?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

moo

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:36 am

c933103 wrote:
I have saw many comments like, if what Trump wrote on Twitter is bannable on the grounf being given, then why won't Twitter do more in Japan where "countless" amount have died to online bullying occurring through Twitter? And why won't Twitter do more to posts made by representative of authoritarian that are promoting more significant evils?

Because they arent required to, and they think Trump is a more important and immediate topic right now?

Twitter, Facebook et al are not required to sort out the entire worlds ills before getting around to Trump, they can do it in whatever order they want.

NIKV69

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:43 am

stratosphere wrote:

Yep they couldn't get the fairness doctrine so. This is getting ridiculous.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:43 am

I remember when Facebook and Twitter both declined Nancy Pelosi request to delete Trump's video he posted on line.

It was a mocked up video. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/07/faceboo ... video.html

designed to divide both parties.

Newark727

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:46 am

c933103 wrote:

With companies like Twitter, assume indifference until proven otherwise. They've grown too large to meaningfully review most of their content. But people are going to pay attention to how well they enforce their own rules, when the person violating them is the president of the United States.

tommy1808

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:48 am

stratosphere wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

If you go outside the TOS you'd get banned regardless of left or right.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

c933103

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:39 am

moo wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Because they arent required to, and they think Trump is a more important and immediate topic right now?

Twitter, Facebook et al are not required to sort out the entire worlds ills before getting around to Trump, they can do it in whatever order they want.

The question would be why would they thibk Trump as a more important and inmediate topic? Of course, under the current rule in the US, these internet companies have the right to decide their own priority, but why would their priority be as such?
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones

c933103

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:41 am

Newark727 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

With companies like Twitter, assume indifference until proven otherwise. They've grown too large to meaningfully review most of their content. But people are going to pay attention to how well they enforce their own rules, when the person violating them is the president of the United States.

What happened with the account over the past days seems to indicate ad-hoc decision making on how to balance different kind of interest (society, history, platform name, etc) more than application of any rules.

moo

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 am

c933103 wrote:
moo wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The question would be why would they thibk Trump as a more important and inmediate topic? Of course, under the current rule in the US, these internet companies have the right to decide their own priority, but why would their priority be as such?

If you have to ask that question, then its not worth answering you.

c933103

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 am

moo wrote:
c933103 wrote:
moo wrote:

And I think that's part of the problem, while companies like Twitter have become multinational compabies, they're still intrinsically America, and think millions in Xinjiang getting cultural genocided is less of a problem than some disorder in their own country, with those who pronote the forner idea still being allowed in the platform.

Aaron747

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 am

c933103 wrote:
moo wrote:
c933103 wrote:

And I think that's part of the problem, while companies like Twitter have become multinational compabies, they're still intrinsically America, and think millions in Xinjiang getting cultural genocided is less of a problem than some disorder in their own country, with those who pronote the forner idea still being allowed in the platform.

Again, legally that isn’t what’s happening. They shut down Trump’s personal account and those of very active malingerers in the alt-right. The official POTUS account is open, in accordance with their policy regarding official accounts globally. They basically do not moderate official government accounts because they think the world should see what their official statements are.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

aerosreenivas

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:29 am

Now that Trump has been banned from Twitter, will that change anything with regards to the thinking of his supporters?

Meaning, will they accept the 'Election Verdict' and look forward to Biden's governance for the next four years?

cpd

Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:50 am

aerosreenivas wrote:
Now that Trump has been banned from Twitter, will that change anything with regards to the thinking of his supporters?

Meaning, will they accept the 'Election Verdict' and look forward to Biden's governance for the next four years?

No way, they'll keep carrying out insurgency. :banghead:

ThePointblank

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:23 am

stratosphere wrote:

This comic explains everything about the First Amendment in a nutshell:

https://xkcd.com/1357/

petertenthije

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:38 am

aerosreenivas wrote:

What gives you the impression they were thinking at all? They are just sheep following whatever is said by Trump and various other right wing pundits and commentators.

They will continue doing so, they’ll just change the medium. Just like they changed to OANN once FOX (on rare occasions!) decided to go of-script.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

flipdewaf

Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 am

Do we think trump will be going through the 5 (6 in trunks case) stages of grief over this? Do you think he might have tried to set up another account?

He will be in the sweats because of a removed compulsion no doubt.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bennett123

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:14 am

Has the official WH account tended to follow the same line as his personal account.