Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

The strangeness of Japan

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:09 pm

How to get a job in Japan for young graduates : https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55344408

I find this a bit ridiculous, but I don't really understand the anguish it seems to cause to LGBT youth. LGBT people have had to hide since forever, and can only step out of the closet in some countries, since recently. It's a good thing of course and I'm not promoting discrimination, however if I imagine myself as a young trans M2F, would I really want to show up for a job interview in my female appearance/self ? Job interviews are stressful, in a way having to conform to strict etiquette would be helpful for many, in my opinion : no need to sweat it, wear the same thing as everybody, do the same thing as everybody, that's what's expected, that "works". It uncomplicates things.

What are your thoughts ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Re: The strangeness of Japan

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Japan seems a quite stressful society for non-convermistic behavior/feelings. This has some good sides and some very negative sides. As an employer myself, I am looking for authenticity and creativity in my employees. They perform the best for me and my company if they feel free and secure, so I am trying to provide such an environment.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aaron747

Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:56 am

It has always been exceptionally difficult to be ‘different’ in Japan, and the bar for entrepreneurship is absurdly high. But the ‘strangeness’ boils down to institutions and companies needing to change but not knowing how. Not hard to understand when 90% of leadership positions are men in their 60s who have a pre-1990 business worldview.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

cjg225

Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:26 am

As someone who has watched anime and read manga for nearly 25 years, all I can say, "I wasn't aware that it was news that Japan is a very, very weird place."
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

c933103

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:32 am

Rather than being LGBT specific, from the story on the experience of a gender non binary indivodual, my reading of it is that it indicate how strict the gender stereotypes and gender roles are.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Virtual737

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:36 am

They have vending machines selling used (and not cleaned) underwear. Nothing weird about that at all.

melpax

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:35 am

When I was there pre-COVID, it was strange seeing so many people wearing full business on the weekends. Most had work cases or bags with them, so it was clear that they wern't dressing up just because they felt like it. Also saw kids in their school uniforms on Saturdays, again, they had their school bags, so they wern't wearing their uniforms to be cool.

I suspect that this accounts for their well-known public intoxication. Walked back to my Tokyo hotel on a Friday night (The APA next to the Capitol Hotel, right opposite the PM's residence & near the Diet, so a heavily policed area) to find someone in full suit & tie passed out, face down still holding their bag, in a pool of their own vomit. Here in Melbourne, they would have scored a stint in the drunk tank, or carted off to Emergency. Wasn't a suprise a couple of days later in Hiroshima when I saw a shop selling machine-washable suits....

And you can buy capsule toys depicting public drunkeness...

https://soranews24.com/2020/02/28/japan ... sule-toys/

Aesma
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 pm

c933103 wrote:
Rather than being LGBT specific, from the story on the experience of a gender non binary indivodual, my reading of it is that it indicate how strict the gender stereotypes and gender roles are.

Sure, but while the dress code is clearly gendered, they're talking about business jobs, where gender shouldn't matter (especially with the demographic problem). Put on the business skirt and the high heels and go get it, if you're good at the job you can always alter your wardrobe once in.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Braybuddy

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

From the article:
"I'm not cisgender but also not transgender at the same time. I don't want to be identified as a man or woman, just me, myself," says Yumi Mizuno, an interpreter in her early 30s.

This is the sort of self-centred, narcissistic nonsense that gives the LGBTQ community a bad name. You have to dress in a certain way to get a job? What exactly is the problem here? I probably feel most comfortable and relaxed in my old boots, well-worn jeans and old fleece, but there's no way I would wear that lot to any sort of interview. It shouldn't be up to employers to accommodate prospective employees. If you want the job, you have to make sacrifices, even if it means, horror of horrors, that you have to buy and wear something you may not like.

c933103

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Aesma wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Sure, but while the dress code is clearly gendered, they're talking about business jobs, where gender shouldn't matter (especially with the demographic problem). Put on the business skirt and the high heels and go get it, if you're good at the job you can always alter your wardrobe once in.

The article didn't talk about problem with wearing dress code of the gender that is not the person's biological gender, instead it is focused on the difficulty of being forced to choose between male dress code or female dress code, when the interviewee don't want to make such choice.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

ChrisKen

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 pm

melpax wrote:
When I was there pre-COVID, it was strange seeing so many people wearing full business on the weekends. Most had work cases or bags with them, so it was clear that they wern't dressing up just because they felt like it. Also saw kids in their school uniforms on Saturdays, again, they had their school bags, so they wern't wearing their uniforms to be cool.

No doubt going to work and the kids (14-18) go to school on Saturday.
Uniforms will also be worn by kids on school trips/outings/camps, wherever in the world they end up being.