Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

King toppled from throne by gender-neutral card deck

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:40 pm

Now, for something completely different:

Indy Mellink, a Dutch card fan, was explaining a game to her cousins last summer when she asked herself: why should a king be worth more than a queen?

The 23-year-old forensic psychology graduate, encouraged by her father, decided it was time to break with the centuries-old tradition of sexual inequality in playing card decks that rank men above women.

“If we have this hierarchy that the king is worth more than the queen then this subtle inequality influences people in their daily life because it’s just another way of saying ‘hey, you’re less important,” she said in an interview. “Even subtle inequalities like this do play a big role.”

After a lot of trial and error, she designed a genderless deck in which the images of a king, queen and jack were replaced with gold, silver and bronze.

Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-neth ... SKBN29O1KH

Time to go out to the shops and get me some GSB cards...

I hope fans of silver and bronze aren't too upset by this assertion of the superiority of gold.

[ Geez, just two posts short of 25,000! ]
Last edited by Revelation on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

N867DA

Re: King toppled from throne by gender-neutral card deck

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Should we also rename chess pieces?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

slider

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Just when I think the world can't get any dumber, they go and do something like this....

VSMUT

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 pm

N867DA wrote:

Chess is in for a major reform:
The monarchy was toppled over a century ago, so the king and queen need to go.
The bishops are a dilemma. Either we need to remove them, or add in other religions. I say we add a pair of Imams and Rabbis.
In the wake of the cold war, defence budgets were slashed. One of the towers and one of the knights need to go.
Then we could add some new pieces. I'm thinking maybe drones. They would deliberately flaunt international chess rules.

Edit: How could I be so obviously racist! The black pieces need to go, for that would be racist appropriation of the skin colour. The whites need to go as well, can't have them be all proud about themselves and defeating the blacks. Need to find a way to include LGBTQ+ as well.

casinterest

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 pm

VSMUT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

The bishops are a dilemma. Either we need to remove them, or add in other religions. I say we add a pair of Imams and Rabbis.
In the wake of the cold war, defence budgets were slashed. One of the towers and one of the knights need to go.
Then we could add some new pieces. I'm thinking maybe drones. They would deliberately flaunt international chess rules.

Edit: How could I be so obviously racist! The black pieces need to go, for that would be racist appropriation of the skin colour. The whites need to go as well, can't have them be all proud about themselves and defeating the blacks. Need to find a way to include LGBTQ+ as well.

I want a Trump Piece. Does what it wants, and destroys the game.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

bennett123

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 pm

I do hope that you are joking.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
I want a Trump Piece. Does what it wants, and destroys the game.

And pardons all the other chess pieces that have been breaking the rules as it leaves the board as a final FU to the game and its players.

B777LRF

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Well, if a woman marries a king she becomes a queen. But if man marries a queen he doesn't become a king but rather a "prince consort".
Signature. You just read one.

cjg225

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:27 pm

VSMUT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

Yes, some deep consideration of the color of the chess pieces needs to be made.

Seems yellow and red will also need to be avoided, and perhaps pink and blue too.

Also the binary nature of the color scheme needs to be considered.

Bold and unique colors promote tribalism and sectarianism.

We'll need to come up with blends of colors that reflect diversity and inclusion.

seb146

Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Revelation wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

Seems yellow and red will also need to be avoided, and perhaps pink and blue too.

We'll need to come up with blends of colors that reflect diversity and inclusion.

Beige vs. taupe!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seahawk

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:01 pm

The whole game is to full of toxic masculine aggression anyway and not inclusive.

VSMUT

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:20 pm

Revelation wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

But should we be avoiding or including all colours?

We need to discuss the pressing issue of the sexist word "pawn". I suggest we rename it to the gender neutral name Pen.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 pm

https://chess.stackexchange.com/questio ... -and-pawns says:

Chess originated in India and in the Indian armies of those times, it was common to have elephants, camels, horses and the like. Even now in rural India, the rook is the "elephant", the bishop is the "camel" and the knight is the "horse". The king is still the king, the queen is the "wazir" or vizier, and pawns are foot soldiers. In fact there was a recent Indian movie called Wazir, themed on chess and the Wazir was portrayed by a male character.

Traditionally, the armies fought mostly with men, however, even Indian history has had female warrior queens (for example Rani of Jhansi). The Wazir, however, is not a queen, but a powerful minister in the kingdom, maybe even the king's prime minister or right-hand-man (person?). Traditionally, this would be a male. Similarly, the elephant riders, camel riders, horse riders and foot soldiers would traditionally be male with females being the exception to the norm. The king is obviously male.

Time to change this centuries-old "boy's club" approach!

cjg225

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:27 pm

Can we keep the cards for blackjack? Face cards are worth the same. Young, old. Male, female. Doesn't matter. All worth the same.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

chimborazo

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:47 am

VSMUT wrote:
Revelation wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

But should we be avoiding or including all colours?

We need to discuss the pressing issue of the sexist word "pawn". I suggest we rename it to the gender neutral name Pen.

What??? That’s not gender neutral- it’s sexist!! Pen is the first three letters of a five letter word that is responsible for so much “male domination”! Anyway, we shouldn’t be looking at neutrality... years of suppression to make up by going completely over the top the opposite way.

We should rename them “Vag”.

Aesma

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:55 am

B777LRF wrote:
Well, if a woman marries a king she becomes a queen. But if man marries a queen he doesn't become a king but rather a "prince consort".

Apparently the first part isn't true, I've seen that if Charles doesn't make his wife a Queen, then Kate would probably not be one either (didn't actually read the article to get the explanation).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

vikkyvik

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:56 pm

I guess I'll be the one person here saying "good for her".

I mean, this doesn't affect my life in the slightest, so there's no reason to get upset over it. And frankly, while a set of playing cards is hardly a major factor, it is one of a million things that very subtly reinforces inequality.

I'm not about to go trade in my card decks (if I even have any), but if this helps little girls to feel more empowered in some tiny way, nothing wrong with that.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 pm

What are they going to call a Royal Flush then? Olympic Flush? :-)

johnboy

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 am

I saw what you did with that headline and I applaud you, sir.

FlyingColours

Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:10 pm

VSMUT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

The last time I checked Queen Elizabeth II was still the monarch of my country ;)

I miss playing chess, not had a game in over a year now thanks to the plague :(

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

vrbarreto

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Don't even start on snooker. The objective being the white ball 'downs' the coloureds... A game that was also useless to watch on a black and white television..

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:15 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
Don't even start on snooker. The objective being the white ball 'downs' the coloureds... A game that was also useless to watch on a black and white television..

Talking about useless/futile, I remember trying to watch ice hockey on an old analog tv with a snowy signal.