Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NYCVIE
Topic Author

How do the Republicans win in 2022/24?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:35 pm

So I made a similar topic about Democrats, here's the one for Republicans. The Republicans lost the Presidency and the Senate and haven't had the House majority since 2019. Moving forward, what do they need to do to win in 2022 and 2024?

Some ideas:

1) Move on from Trump. Surely, Trump is going to remain a vocal presence but clinging on to him will only continue to drag them down. Looking at how in just four years the Republicans managed to wipe out all their gains in 2016, Trump is probably the primary reason.

2) Mending the party fracture. The Republicans will need to work on bringing the Trump factions and the more traditional Republicans together. While Democrats also have fractures within the party, I wouldn't say they're as strong as the Republican ones - there's hasn't been much, if any, room for prominent anti-Trump Republicans in the party.

Happy to hear more ideas. I'm not a Republican so it's harder for me to have suggestions for how they succeed :lol:

luckyone

Re: How do the Republicans win in 2022/24?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm

They'll have to figure out how to balance the need to parade Trump around at some rallies while keeping him away from the big media events. If Trump's Fan Base stays home that will be a challenge. I predict a lot of opening acts for Trump, if he's willing to tolerate them, wherein he shows up as the first speaker, and is by direction long gone when the actual candidate takes the stage.

It remains to be seen how successful the GOP complaints about social media policies are, but that is certainly going to be part of the narrative. Any smart candidate will need a good answer for "but private business," especially after one of their platforms for years was business being "forced" to serve people that offended their religious principles.

mjba257

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 pm

The opposition party always does better in the midterms, and historically, off year elections favor the GOP. So I am feeling pretty good about their chances in 2022. The only time in modern history that I can recall where the incumbent party increased their power during a midterm was 2002, but that was just a year after 9/11 and GWB was still widely popular from that.

As for 2024, it really comes down to the nominee. I don't think Trump will run again. I think the GOP is ready to move on from him personally, but his ideas will stay relevant. I have a very good feeling about Dan Crenshaw of Texas. He is a former Navy SEAL, popular with the online right, a pretty solid conservative, well spoken, and generally a likable guy. A formidable ticket would be Dan Crenshaw / Larry Hogan, the Maryland GOP governor. That way, you have a balanced ticket, with Crenshaw appealing to the conservative grassroots/MAGA base, and Hogan appealing to the old guard establishment GOP as well as moderates/centrists.

Another big wild card is the economy. If the economy takes a dumper over the next 4 years, then you may be looking at a GOP blowout in 2022/2024

Aaron747

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 pm

mjba257 wrote:
The opposition party always does better in the midterms, and historically, off year elections favor the GOP. So I am feeling pretty good about their chances in 2022. The only time in modern history that I can recall where the incumbent party increased their power during a midterm was 2002, but that was just a year after 9/11 and GWB was still widely popular from that.

As for 2024, it really comes down to the nominee. I don't think Trump will run again. I think the GOP is ready to move on from him personally, but his ideas will stay relevant. I have a very good feeling about Dan Crenshaw of Texas. He is a former Navy SEAL, popular with the online right, a pretty solid conservative, well spoken, and generally a likable guy. A formidable ticket would be Dan Crenshaw / Larry Hogan, the Maryland GOP governor. That way, you have a balanced ticket, with Crenshaw appealing to the conservative grassroots/MAGA base, and Hogan appealing to the old guard establishment GOP as well as moderates/centrists.

Another big wild card is the economy. If the economy takes a dumper over the next 4 years, then you may be looking at a GOP blowout in 2022/2024

Agree with you having Hogan on any ticket would be a plus, but not sure you’ve seen the latest over/under on Crenshaw. MAGA turned on him bigtime for his stand against the election fraud claims.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mjba257

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

Agree with you having Hogan on any ticket would be a plus, but not sure you’ve seen the latest over/under on Crenshaw. MAGA turned on him bigtime for his stand against the election fraud claims.

Crenshaw is a patriot. Not much negative things you can say about him personally. Of course you can object to his policies. But 4 years from now, I think MAGA's will look past any of his "flaws" (in their words) to stop a President Kamala Harris (god forbid). Remember, GOP are reliable voters. Even for people they don't like. What motivates them to vote is dislike of the other side. Even with Trump, both times the majority of his voters said they voted for him because they hated the other option more. This isn't like with lefties, who will sit an election out if the Democrat candidate doesn't put their pronouns in their Twitter bio.

luckyone

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

Unless Hogan doesn't make a run for it, or does and dumps out very early, I don't see how an experienced governor plays second fiddle to a one term Rep, even if he did make a great point about the elected officials who pandered to the blood thirsty Fan Base cowering in the corner.

The MAGA crowd is going to be the question mark. Will they turn out without their leader? Can the movement survive with it's tainted Trump association?

Aaron747

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

Crenshaw is a patriot. Not much negative things you can say about him personally. Of course you can object to his policies. But 4 years from now, I think MAGA's will look past any of his "flaws" (in their words) to stop a President Kamala Harris (god forbid). Remember, GOP are reliable voters. Even for people they don't like. What motivates them to vote is dislike of the other side. Even with Trump, both times the majority of his voters said they voted for him because they hated the other option more. This isn't like with lefties, who will sit an election out if the Democrat candidate doesn't put their pronouns in their Twitter bio.

You’re talking about traditional GOP voters though. I’m referring to the 30 million hardcore MAGA voters who called any critic of Trump an auto-RINO. It remains to be seen how much splintering of the party will occur over the next year with these bizarre factions that have opened since the election. Some of these MAGA idiots are calling for a new Patriots’ Party or something along those lines.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:03 am

The GOP needs to move on from Trump, Fox News, Newsmax , and OAN. All items that will not happen. So expect the Trump Traitor base to rise up into a white nationalist froth that finally destroys the Southern racist church convention, and fully divorces the GOP from tangible financial backingm resulting in less and less informed candidates, base members, and probably resulting in the decline of the GOP numbers as a whole.
Where ever you go, there you are.

mjba257

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 am

Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

You’re talking about traditional GOP voters though. I’m referring to the 30 million hardcore MAGA voters who called any critic of Trump an auto-RINO. It remains to be seen how much splintering of the party will occur over the next year with these bizarre factions that have opened since the election. Some of these MAGA idiots are calling for a new Patriots’ Party or something along those lines.

MAGA people will vote for Crenshaw. He check marks all the issues they care about:
- border security
- anti-wokeism
- free speech
- 2nd amendment

That's literally everything. Plus, he's always been on Trump's good side.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:34 am

mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

MAGA people will vote for Crenshaw. He check marks all the issues they care about:
- border security
- anti-wokeism
- free speech
- 2nd amendment

He wasn’t for stop the steal, and stated more than once and more than one network there was no evidence of a stolen election. That got him labeled traitor and RINO in MAGAworld. I have seen these morons claiming they will remember and primary anyone who ‘betrayed’ Trump.

mjba257

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:39 am

Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

- border security
- anti-wokeism
- free speech
- 2nd amendment

He wasn’t for stop the steal, and stated more than once and more than one network there was no evidence of a stolen election. That got him labeled traitor and RINO in MAGAworld. I have seen these morons claiming they will remember and primary anyone who ‘betrayed’ Trump.

He supported recounts and was in favor of all of Team Trump's legal challenges. Voted "no" on impeachment. Publicly called for an audit of Dominion Voting machines.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:53 am

mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

- border security
- anti-wokeism
- free speech
- 2nd amendment

He supported recounts and was in favor of all of Team Trump's legal challenges. Voted "no" on impeachment. Publicly called for an audit of Dominion Voting machines.

Right, and then he reversed on all that after 1/6:

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/rep-cren ... 15741.html

https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... utType=amp

And I have seen them calling him a RINO and traitor ever since.

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:56 am

mjba257 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

- border security
- anti-wokeism
- free speech
- 2nd amendment

What you are describing, is the current GOP. Racist nationalists. Crenshaw is not a good political candidate outside of rural/suburban border districts. He puts party first, then America. He may make a run at Senator or Governor of Texas, but that is about all for now.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 am

Another thing to watch is whether the GOP pivots hard back to deficit control. GOP members of Congress who voted for Trump tax cuts in 2017 really have no leg to stand on as the 45th WH presided over a 36% rise in the national debt. Obama added $8.6T in 8 years and Trump added $7.8T in just four.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans- ... bt-4114401

flyguy89

Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:47 am

Honestly, I hope they just collapse. I hope both parties collapse. Let the MAGAs run off and form their own Trump Party, let the Squad and Sanders form their own socialist party, and allow the sensible adults come together and govern. A guy can dream at least...

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Honestly, I hope they just collapse. I hope both parties collapse. Let the MAGAs run off and form their own Trump Party, let the Squad and Sanders form their own socialist party, and allow the sensible adults come together and govern. A guy can dream at least...

Indeed....THAT at least might get us somewhere. We need to be led from the middle. The extremists can call it 'fence sitting' all they want while they wallow in continual failure.

WingsFan

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 am

NYCVIE wrote:
So I made a similar topic about Democrats, here's the one for Republicans. The Republicans lost the Presidency and the Senate and haven't had the House majority since 2019. Moving forward, what do they need to do to win in 2022 and 2024?

Some ideas:

1) Move on from Trump. Surely, Trump is going to remain a vocal presence but clinging on to him will only continue to drag them down. Looking at how in just four years the Republicans managed to wipe out all their gains in 2016, Trump is probably the primary reason.

2) Mending the party fracture. The Republicans will need to work on bringing the Trump factions and the more traditional Republicans together. While Democrats also have fractures within the party, I wouldn't say they're as strong as the Republican ones - there's hasn't been much, if any, room for prominent anti-Trump Republicans in the party.

Happy to hear more ideas. I'm not a Republican so it's harder for me to have suggestions for how they succeed :lol:

Frankly, just do nothing! Ensure that Qanon members don't hijack the narrative and wait to democrats to sway far left and crash next election.

The election has shown that the country has had enough of Trump, the person. However, republicans down ticket have mostly gained votes overall. D margin in the house shrunk and R lost senate due to ineptness of Trump and McConnell's unwillingness to pass $2000 stimulus. It is remarkable that even after royally bungling COVID response, Trump got as many votes as he did.

All this points to only one thing, which is that country is fairly opposed to social justice woke agenda. Hopefully Biden Harris stay in centrist lane and keep social activism at bay, otherwise democrats are bound to lose both houses of congress in next mid term. It will be fairly logical for many centrist liberals and independants who voted D to get rid of Trump to sway next mid term elections.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:25 am

WingsFan wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

Some ideas:

Frankly, just do nothing! Ensure that Qanon members don't hijack the narrative and wait to democrats to sway far left and crash next election.

The election has shown that the country has had enough of Trump, the person. However, republicans down ticket have mostly gained votes overall. D margin in the house shrunk and R lost senate due to ineptness of Trump and McConnell's unwillingness to pass $2000 stimulus. It is remarkable that even after royally bungling COVID response, Trump got as many votes as he did.

All this points to only one thing, which is that country is fairly opposed to social justice woke agenda. Hopefully Biden Harris stay in centrist lane and keep social activism at bay, otherwise democrats are bound to lose both houses of congress in next mid term. It will be fairly logical for many centrist liberals and independants who voted D to get rid of Trump to sway next mid term elections.

I agree that campus woke social justice activism really has no place in national politics, but I do think there are social justice reforms that get some bipartisan support: sentencing reform, marijuana legalization, and ending qualified immunity.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:27 am

flyguy89 wrote:
WingsFan wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

Some ideas:

I agree that campus woke social justice activism really has no place in national politics, but I do think there are social justice reforms that get some bipartisan support: sentencing reform, marijuana legalization, and ending qualified immunity.

Same position / experience pay parity for women...hello? 50+% of the electorate right there.

717atOGG

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 am

Honestly, while a lot can change in the next 4 years, I'd say that the Democrats are likely the favorite at the moment to win in 2024. Generally speaking, incumbent presidents typically only lose reelection bids when the economy is bad, or at least worse than when they entered (some notable examples being Hoover in 1932, Carter in 1980, H.W. Bush in 1992, and Trump in 2020). Typically, recessions/economic slumps also occur about every 8-12 years (2020, 2008, 2000, etc), so unless a double-dip recession or some unforeseen event like COVID happens past history suggests that the economy will probably be fine come 2024.

Given these factors, at the moment I don't feel that the Republicans are the favorite to take back the White House come 2024, though by 2028 they should have a good shot of pulling it off. However, there's a lot of low-hanging fruit in the House and Senate for them to take, so if I were a Republican I'd focus my efforts there. They should be favored to take back the House, and while the Senate math is more difficult since the map isn't great for them in 2022, they can certainly try their best to take down a few incumbent Democrats there.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

DL717

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:18 am

717atOGG wrote:
Honestly, while a lot can change in the next 4 years, I'd say that the Democrats are likely the favorite at the moment to win in 2024. Generally speaking, incumbent presidents typically only lose reelection bids when the economy is bad, or at least worse than when they entered (some notable examples being Hoover in 1932, Carter in 1980, H.W. Bush in 1992, and Trump in 2020). Typically, recessions/economic slumps also occur about every 8-12 years (2020, 2008, 2000, etc), so unless a double-dip recession or some unforeseen event like COVID happens past history suggests that the economy will probably be fine come 2024.

Given these factors, at the moment I don't feel that the Republicans are the favorite to take back the White House come 2024, though by 2028 they should have a good shot of pulling it off. However, there's a lot of low-hanging fruit in the House and Senate for them to take, so if I were a Republican I'd focus my efforts there. They should be favored to take back the House, and while the Senate math is more difficult since the map isn't great for them in 2022, they can certainly try their best to take down a few incumbent Democrats there.

Biden won’t be running in 2024. He barely ran this cycle.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:28 am

Aaron747 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
WingsFan wrote:

Same position / experience pay parity for women...hello? 50+% of the electorate right there.

Which is already the law.

Virtual737

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 am

Making a presumption (and of course not totally accurate) that the reds and blues traditionally each appeal to 50% of the population, perhaps they need to find some policies that might appeal to all of the country rather than only the half that might traditionally support them. Take a long hard look at the working of what you say and tone down the part of it that divide, those that literally attack the other half of the population just because you think it makes you stronger in your half. A "perfect" Republican (or Democrat for that matter) is only aiming at 50% of the vote, so 50% is a great result. If you aim for 100% then you have a better chance of success.

But that's all just a pipe dream.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:47 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

In spirit yes, not overall application or enforcement. As an HR pro, I can tell you there are plenty of loopholes left to fill.

flyguy89

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:03 am

Aaron747 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

In spirit yes, not overall application or enforcement. As an HR pro, I can tell you there are plenty of loopholes left to fill.

I agree it’s probably not well enforced/executed. Don’t want to deviate too far from the topic at hand, but I wish people would focus the debate on how to better enforce the law instead of acting like it doesn’t exist.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:17 pm

First of all, the Republicans still control the legislatures and/or top elected offices in most states. Republicans still have disproportionate control of the Senate. That gives then certain advantages.
I am a supporter of the Democratic Party and a member of my local group.
It is likely as the majority of Americans are moderately conservative that the Republicans have a chance to gain control of the House and Senate in 2022 as a regular historical pattern but as some of what the Democrats under their control in the WH and Congress will make certain policy decisions that will cause a shift to a narrow Republican majority. As others have suggested, the Republicans need to marginalize the extremists of the party in the Congress, Trump and from certain groups of people to shift toward center. We do need a 'loyal opposition' to balance possible excesses of any party in control. Stick to tax cuts, cuts in certain areas of social spending, support firm but fair policies as to those here illegally, keep up military spending, add monies to police budgets and continue to have a 'law and order' policy.

Alias1024

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:02 pm

The Republicans have a structural advantage at this time due to the coalitions each party has built and the way senators and representatives are elected in this country. If those coalitions hold Republicans need to simply turn out their voters better than Democrats and not alienate independents. That means moving away from the behavior and rhetoric of Trump. They also need to be careful that some of their more extreme members, like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert, are not able to become the face of the party going forward.

ltbewr wrote:
It is likely as the majority of Americans are moderately conservative that the Republicans have a chance to gain control of the House and Senate in 2022 as a regular historical pattern but as some of what the Democrats under their control in the WH and Congress will make certain policy decisions that will cause a shift to a narrow Republican majority.

While I agree that historically the president's party does poorly in the midterm elections, I'd dispute that the majority of Americans are moderately conservative. The Republican party has won the popular vote for president once since the fall of the Berlin Wall. I'd argue the median is slightly progressive as seen in election results the last few decades. Republicans are able to be competitive in the House and Senate due to the design of our system and where lines are drawn on maps.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

stlgph

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Nikki Haley
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NIKV69

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:23 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Honestly, while a lot can change in the next 4 years, I'd say that the Democrats are likely the favorite at the moment to win in 2024.

How? Biden hasn't even began governing yet.

DL717 wrote:

Biden won’t be running in 2024. He barely ran this cycle.

No he won't this was all set up for Kamala to run in 2024.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

luckyone

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 pm

stlgph wrote:
Nikki Haley

She certainly is a possibility. She's shrewd, doesn't really make a mistake. She saw the Trump train coming after one episode of getting egg on her face. She got a nice line on her resume and bailed with enough time that she didn't get caught up in the unraveling. She doesn't get too bogged down in LGBT rights or other culturally conservative issues. She's pretty reasonable, IMHO. I can't say I would have too many reservations about voting for her if she were on the ticket. Her main weak spot is going to be education. South Carolina has historically been at the bottom nationwide, and she didn't do anything to change that. The other issue that may be a hang up with the Jesus wing of the Republican party is the has technically converted to Christianity, but maintains some Sikh traditions.

stl07

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 pm

stlgph wrote:
Nikki Haley

:checkmark: :checkmark:

Perfect candidate. Someone who straddled both sides of the GOP (the rationals and the trumps) and was pretty quiet throughout the trump years as to not tarnish her name.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Mortyman

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:43 pm

flyguy89 wrote:

Boeing got an aid package around 17 billion USD last year ... Guess what ? That is socialism ! So US politicians are not against socialism when it comes to their Wall street friends and companies ... Just when it comes to the average American ...

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 pm

They can win by being themselves, the party of NO.

Throw tantrum, cry on the floor, block any and every Biden proposal, and milk the weakness of Democrats called bi-partisanship.

Pick on weak Democrat incumbents, make them feel they're going to lose, they will vote against their own party.

In no time they will flip Senate or House. Lame duck term ensues.

Worked well between 2008-2016 and regained house by 2010, Senate and Presidency later.
All posts are just opinions.

Iloveboeing

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 pm

stl07 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Nikki Haley

Perfect candidate. Someone who straddled both sides of the GOP (the rationals and the trumps) and was pretty quiet throughout the trump years as to not tarnish her name.

I think Nikki Haley should run with Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) as her running mate. I think they'd make an excellent team. I think the Republicans would have a stronger chance with an all-female ticket. The Democrats need to learn that not all Republicans are anti-women.

luckyone

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
stl07 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Nikki Haley

I think Nikki Haley should run with Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) as her running mate. I think they'd make an excellent team. I think the Republicans would have a stronger chance with an all-female ticket. The Democrats need to learn that not all Republicans are anti-women.

I think there are enough conservative men that would not vote for a female-female ticket to make the GOP think twice about such a ticket. My father would be one of them as he has flatly stated he doesn't think women should be President (he wasn't going to vote Democrat either way, but the sentiment would apply to a Republican as well). I don't think they made the difference, but I think they contributed to Hillary's 2016 problems in the Midwest. The Great Lakes is traditionally Democratic voting, but it's still a rather conservative culture.

flyguy89

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:23 am

Mortyman wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

Boeing got an aid package around 17 billion USD last year ... Guess what ? That is socialism ! So US politicians are not against socialism when it comes to their Wall street friends and companies ... Just when it comes to the average American ...

Not that I particularly agree with it, but a temporary loan program in response to a national crisis is substantively different from establishing massive new permanent entitlement programs.

luckyone wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I think there are enough conservative men that would not vote for a female-female ticket to make the GOP think twice about such a ticket. My father would be one of them as he has flatly stated he doesn't think women should be President (he wasn't going to vote Democrat either way, but the sentiment would apply to a Republican as well). I don't think they made the difference, but I think they contributed to Hillary's 2016 problems in the Midwest. The Great Lakes is traditionally Democratic voting, but it's still a rather conservative culture.

I’m not so sure. While I don’t doubt some level of sexism would play a role, I really don’t think conservatives would have many qualms at all voting for a female candidate if she ticked all the right boxes and said the right things. Consider the enormous enthusiasm Sarah Palin generated among the right in 2008.

luckyone

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:27 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

Not that I particularly agree with it, but a temporary loan program in response to a national crisis is substantively different from establishing massive new permanent entitlement programs.

luckyone wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

I’m not so sure. While I don’t doubt some level of sexism would play a role, I really don’t think conservatives would have many qualms at all voting for a female candidate if she ticked all the right boxes and said the right things. Consider the enormous enthusiasm Sarah Palin generated among the right in 2008.

One female yes. And Palin was the No. 2 on the ticket and note that support for her evaporated pretty quickly outside of the talk show crowd. Some say Palin’s dingbat performance during an interview contributed to McCain’s loss.

LCDFlight

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 am

WingsFan wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

Some ideas:

I agree with these points. My feeling is this is really about Kamala Harris and her worldview, and how she plans to act on it, and with whom. We will all learn much more about how she plans to use her power in the next several years. There is a radically transformative agenda going around that would, to put it mildly, totally transform the country into a different type of country. I think a lot of people are going to find this is not a goal they share. It's all about Kamala, whether she is like Obama, or she is more radical.

NYCVIE
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:23 am

LCDFlight wrote:
WingsFan wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

Some ideas:

I agree with these points. My feeling is this is really about Kamala Harris and her worldview, and how she plans to act on it, and with whom. We will all learn much more about how she plans to use her power in the next several years. There is a radically transformative agenda going around that would, to put it mildly, totally transform the country into a different type of country. I think a lot of people are going to find this is not a goal they share. It's all about Kamala, whether she is like Obama, or she is more radical.

Can you enlighten me on what this "different type of country" you speak of is? I mean no disrespect, I actually am curious as to what you mean.

NYCVIE
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 am

flyguy89 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

I don't think this really addresses the point Mortyman was making though. Yes this is a massive national crisis, but if COVID had not happened and Boeing was close to going under in large part due to MAX related issues obviously the federal government would have stepped in with a bailout. As they have done time and time again for companies, even if said companies wounds are self inflicted. So the question is why do those companies deserve that wiggle room yet not the average American? As you say it's a "national crisis" so why are corporations favored over average Americans.

American laws are already so business friendly - in most countries AA, DL, UA (and/or their previous merged/acquired entities) would have been liquidated and not given the opportunity to restructure under Chapter 11. Some airlines have gone through that process more than once. Yet COVID hits after tax cuts and record profits and the airlines all get relief from the federal government yet the average person is given $1200 to last almost a year and has to literally beg for any more relief.

To bring this on topic, I think this is something Republicans will have to answer for going forward because people won't forget that it was only them that stood in the way of average Americans getting any substantial relief during the national crisis. This was IMO the single issue that ended up sending both Democrats in Georgia to the Senate.

flyguy89

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:10 am

NYCVIE wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

I don't think this really addresses the point Mortyman was making though. Yes this is a massive national crisis, but if COVID had not happened and Boeing was close to going under in large part due to MAX related issues obviously the federal government would have stepped in with a bailout.

No I understand his point, but it just presupposes that one agrees with corporate bailouts so they MUST then be OK with the Sanderista flavor of government when no, you can be against both. It’s also an oversimplification of the issue because the driving force behind bailouts is usually saving jobs in favored constituencies. The airlines and Boeing could have made it through this crisis without government support, they would have just needed to restructure and cut a lot of jobs...usually middle class or unionized jobs. So it’s a bit disingenuous to say companies always get bailed out while the working class gets crumbs when no, a great many in the working class are beneficiaries of such cronyism as well...but again, I don’t agree with corporate bailouts or a Sanders-sized redistributionist state.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:45 am

LCDFlight wrote:
My feeling is this is really about Kamala Harris and her worldview, and how she plans to act on it, and with whom. We will all learn much more about how she plans to use her power in the next several years. There is a radically transformative agenda going around that would, to put it mildly, totally transform the country into a different type of country.

I am also not sure what was meant by this - just what is so transformative about Harris in the vein of a 'different type of country'? A different approach to environmental protection and healthcare, sure...but beyond that? Our fundamental values as a people? We're going to change the colors on the flag? We're going to put Zinn's 'People's History' in all schools in place of local textbooks? We're going to have currency with only Tubman, Angelou, King etc. on the face? Nah.

KWexpress

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
My feeling is this is really about Kamala Harris and her worldview, and how she plans to act on it, and with whom. We will all learn much more about how she plans to use her power in the next several years. There is a radically transformative agenda going around that would, to put it mildly, totally transform the country into a different type of country.

I am also not sure what was meant by this - just what is so transformative about Harris in the vein of a 'different type of country'? A different approach to environmental protection and healthcare, sure...but beyond that? Our fundamental values as a people? We're going to change the colors on the flag? We're going to put Zinn's 'People's History' in all schools in place of local textbooks? We're going to have currency with only Tubman, Angelou, King etc. on the face? Nah.

She is too left...Most American's don't support enacting her radical experiment since those ideas have failed most everywhere they have been tried. Moderates like Biden for the same reason " the Squad" doesn't.

Alias1024

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:39 pm

KWexpress wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

She is too left...Most American's don't support enacting her radical experiment since those ideas have failed most everywhere they have been tried. Moderates like Biden for the same reason " the Squad" doesn't.

How is she too left? What policies does she advocate that are too extreme?

Like Aaron747 I’m not sure what’s so radically transformative about Kamala Harris. Is she liberal? Sure. Radical? Prove it.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:52 pm

KWexpress wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Still not following - you didn't counter or answer my questions as to how anything she says is potentially 'transformative'.

flyingclrs727

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Ditch Qanon and Trump! Convicting Trump on the Senate is the best thing that could happen for Republicans. It would make it much more difficult for Trump to organize a third party if he can't be a candidate of that party.
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCDFlight

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Have you heard of the Squad? They would like to make the federal government (which they hope to control) the center of all major decisions in American life, and global life. They envision unlimited funding for their priorities, which means, unlimited subtractions from the private sector and future American households. They see their role and scope as boundless. Potentially moving hundreds of trillions of dollars. As Rep. Omar says, the US is a “broken economic system” that needs to be replaced by a whole new system. One might assume it is hoped, one controlled by the Squad.

Is Harris an ally or member of the radical wing? The answer isn’t a clear “no” unless Harris decides to share that. Harris is not too clear about her political positions - perhaps strategically oblique. The media hasn’t done a lot of stories about it. We’ll soon know - she will be running almost certainly in 2024, which probably means she is building her team now to hit the trail in mid 2022. The radical wing is gaining tremendous traction with young people. If she chooses to be its leader, there’s nothing standing in the way of radical transformation.

Some policy planks include free college, free health care, a right to housing, basic income, food of course, broadband, historical reparations, and unlimited global asylum and migration. If you disagree, please let me know which item does not belong in the list. The list would amount to a totally new economy and society.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:01 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Have you heard of the Squad? They would like to make the federal government (which they hope to control) the center of all major decisions in American life, and global life. They envision unlimited funding for their priorities, which means, unlimited subtractions from the private sector and future American households. They see their role and scope as boundless. Potentially moving hundreds of trillions of dollars. As Rep. Omar says, the US is a “broken economic system” that needs to be replaced by a whole new system. One might assume it is hoped, one controlled by the Squad.

Is Harris an ally or member of the radical wing? The answer isn’t a clear “no” unless Harris decides to share that. Harris is not too clear about her political positions - perhaps strategically oblique. The media hasn’t done a lot of stories about it. We’ll soon know - she will be running almost certainly in 2024, which probably means she is building her team now to hit the trail in mid 2022. The radical wing is gaining tremendous traction with young people. If she chooses to be it’s leader, there’s no limit to how far this goes.

I have heard of them, but this line of thought just doesn’t track logically. Harris has been criticized by the ‘squad’ and is not identifiably among their ranks.

If you look into her primary funders on Open Secrets, her top support comes from the legal profession, retired persons, entertainment, securities, and real estate. That doesn’t sound like the donor pool for the kind of ‘transformation’ you indicate.

NYCVIE
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Some policy planks include free college, free health care, a right to housing, basic income, food of course, broadband, historical reparations, and unlimited global asylum and migration. If you disagree, please let me know which item does not belong in the list. The list would amount to a totally new economy and society.

Don't want to go off topic, but I'll say this. I think the reason I'll probably never be able to be ideologically aligned with Republicans is this militant belief that less fortunate people in our country just failed and need to work harder if they want to be able to afford basic things in our society like housing, college, and healthcare.

The argument of "The loony far left wants to give people free college and free healthcare" as a negative always truly perplexes me and I'm sure it does the majority of people in most developed countries as well.

You agreed with a post saying Reps lost the Senate largely on not wanting to pass the $2k stimulus (which you blame on McConnell but mind you the majority of Rep. senators would have been against this had Trump not forced their hand) but IMO the logic of not providing stimulus to aid Americans falls into the general Republican belief that government should not provide financial and social help to citizens.

kaitak

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:03 pm

I've always thought Nikki Haley was one to watch in the years ahead; it's interesting that apart form being UN ambassador for a time, she has stayed well clear of the Trump administration. I suspect that she expects a lot of future potential candidates to face "where were you?" and "what did you do?" questions in relation to Trump and their enabling of him. My expectation is that over the next 2-3 years, when all of the various prosecutions run their course, we'll find out a lot of more about Trump's business affairs and that will leave a lot of scars on many Republicans. Haley, having served (quite well) as UN ambassador, won't be quite so badly affected.

It would certainly interesting to see two women - and two very able, intelligent women, too - of Indian descent vie for the Presidency.

The Republicans need to ask themselves "what do we stand for?", because only an organisation which has lost its sense of purpose and direction would have allowed Trump to get anywhere near the levers of power. Trump saw a weakness in the organisation and he just went in and took full advantage of it; it would not have happened if they had actually a clear set of principles and values. We heard many people - including Cruz and Graham - condemn Trump prior to his getting the nomination, and then turn into his biggest enablers. We need to understand what happened there; was it simply a case of (as it appears), "he's a completely unprincipled S.O.B ... but look, he has money"? The whole Republican Party needs to go through a close self-examination. It needs to set itself WELL apart from QANON and other associated nutballs. It will forever carry a badge of shame over what happened over the last few years, but with the right - and brutal - surgery over the next few years, it can reclaim some level of integrity back.

Although it may cost them in the short term (electorally), it would actually help the Republicans if Trump were to set up a party of its own and, much like the Pied Piper Hamelin, take all of the nutjobs and tin hat brigade with him. Maybe they could even encourage that? That might sound radical, but rebuilding on a firm foundation and rebuilding morale is going to necessitate flushing out the lunatic fringe. Let them go with Trump; let that ship sail and then sink it. If you're going to have morale - in any organisation, be it a political party, an airline, an army or anything else, you must have standards. You must have a sense of purpose; the Republicans lost that - and Trump was their punishment for that.