Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Presidential Age Limit in the USA

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Biden looks like a walking corpse, Trump was clearly senile, Reagan had dementia, since there is a minimum age surely there should also be a maximum?
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

vikkyvik

Re: Presidential Age Limit

Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:51 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but mostly because the President (and the other members of the government) should be legislating for the future of the country and citizens.

My opinion: at the start of your term, you should be between 35 (the current minimum age) and 55.

I'm also in favor of age ranges for senators and representatives, as well as term limits.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

astuteman

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Biden looks like a walking corpse, Trump was clearly senile, Reagan had dementia, since there is a minimum age surely there should also be a maximum?

Who the hell cares what Biden looks like?
Whatever he might have looked like, he sure as hell didn't address like a walking corpse today.
It was a talk full of a passion and commitment to his country that I would be proud to display here in my 50's.

It was also the address of a President of the United States.. ALL of the United States..
You know - a real one.
Not the address of a narcissistic madman interested in no-one but himself....

I suspect a lot of the USA will be pleased to see someone with so much experience of holding the tiger of power by the tail, and someone who to the bulk of his political opponents is a known and trusted entity.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Biden looks like a walking corpse,

I made French toast this morning and I almost spit it across the room. LOL.

I doubt we will ever see an age limit. Makes you think about the VP when you vote.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

GDB

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:13 pm

astuteman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Whatever he might have looked like, he sure as hell didn't address like a walking corpse today.
It was a talk full of a passion and commitment to his country that I would be proud to display here in my 50's.

It was also the address of a President of the United States.. ALL of the United States..
You know - a real one.

I suspect a lot of the USA will be pleased to see someone with so much experience of holding the tiger of power by the tail, and someone who to the bulk of his political opponents is a known and trusted entity.

Quite, Trump ranted about 'ending the American Carnage', instead he created one with his wilful mishandling of Covid, now with a daily death rate greater than on 9/11, then he stoked an attempt at insurrection.
Just two of his many crimes.
In a lifetime of them.

Biden is not obese, unlike his predecessor, exercises and eats well.
Britain had PM's in the late 19th Century, (when it was the superpower), who started their final terms in some cases older than Biden, with 19th Century lifestyles and medical technology.

Aaron747

Re: Presidential Age Limit in the USA

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Age limit is not in the Constitution and would require a new amendment. Not gonna happen.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Age Limit is not in the Constitution, and we don't limit any elected or appointed official by such.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

N328KF

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:41 pm

And if you put an age limit in the constitution, what happens as health care improves? What if, in 50 years, a 90 year-old could have the mental acumen that a 50 year-old could have currently? And they might expect to live until 120? Arbitrary limits are unfair discrimination.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Pellegrine

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 pm

You know what? They're laughing on the TV, I can have a laugh too. Biden is a little bit touched, and Nancy has a little bit of the Parkinsons', god I love her though.

I don't care...they're not as bad off as Feinstein by any means. I'm ready to move forward. Everyone is joking and happy.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

AirframeAS

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Age discrimination is against the law on every level here in the U.S. This should end the thread right here.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Age limit is not in the Constitution and would require a new amendment. Not gonna happen.

There is a minimum age limit in the Constitution.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:41 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Those can exist concurrently. What is listed in the Constitution is not an age limit. It is an age requirement, similar to what you would have for a Driving License or authorization to commence sex operations. Not controversial.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:41 pm

There is a minimum age to be a US President as well as House member and Senate. When they were set in the Constitution in 1786, few lived beyond their mid-50's so no need for a max age. I do think there should be a maximum age to serve in elected office as well as key appointments and the Federal Judiciary on all levels, like at age 75. Many US states set a max age for judges of 70-75. A max age would mean more turnover, a form of 'term limits', some not becoming so entrenched that no one challenges them as well as gone before age health and mental fitness issues kick in.

Pi7472000

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:48 pm

I agree there should be an age limit. So glad he won, but would be great to see him resign in 2 years and give power to Harris and a younger generation. We really need term limits for people in congress too.

seb146

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:30 pm

If the upper age limit were 65, it could have saved us from two terms of Reagan! There are plenty of politicians who would be effective in the White House at older ages.

I do agree on term limits for Congress. I love Bernie and he is thinking about this country's future, but he needs to go along with McConnell and Graham and Feinstein among others.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

winginit

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:35 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Age discrimination is against the law on every level here in the U.S. This should end the thread right here.

And yet there is a mandatory retirement age for pilots, and most Fortune 500 companies have an age cap of 65 for CEOs, so I'm not sure what your point is.

There should absolutely be an age cap to hold office in the United States.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 pm

astuteman wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You know - a real one.

He doesn’t look the picture of health and vitality, more like an extra from The Walking Dead!

It’s a though job, the person in it needs to be physically and mentally fit. The last turkey wasn’t and from watching Biden I think he rapidly on the way to being a couple of sandwich’s short of a picnic, he’s very old and feeble, basically another Ronnie Reagan.

Yes he’s an improvement over Trump but is he really the best man for the job, I don’t think he is by a country mile. I sure as hell wouldn’t want him leading my country.

AirframeAS

Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 pm

winginit wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

And yet there is a mandatory retirement age for pilots, and most Fortune 500 companies have an age cap of 65 for CEOs, so I'm not sure what your point is.

There are reasons for positions mentioned above. I don't think being POTUS is a big of a deal. He is 77, so what?! Who cares.

And..... don't judge a book by it's cover. Biden may look the way he is, but that does not mean he isn't capable of doing the job he was elected to do. Give the guy a change before you flamebait him.

Biden will do just fine. Not sure what the fuss is really about....
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

winginit

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:01 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
There are reasons for positions mentioned above

Yes let's elaborate on those reasons shall we?

AirframeAS wrote:
I don't think being POTUS is a big of a deal.

... what?

meecrob

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 pm

So with all these responses saying there should be age limits, surely there is a study or report someone can link to that shows a clear correlation to age and being less effective as POTUS? If not, you lot just sound like a bunch of sour grapes. The simple fact is that although typically mental degradation occurs in advanced age, there is no proof whatsoever that mental degradation WILL occur. Similarly, there are people with dementia in their 50's and you guys are saying the cutoff age should be above that. Would it not be a superior system for Presidential candidates to get a mental evaluation rather than use a blanket max age that might not only prevent elderly mentally sound individuals from becoming POTUS, but also allow people to be POTUS who are not mentally sound, but are not past the cutoff age?

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:35 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

The age limit to be a pilot at a Part 121 air carrier in the US is 65. Why can't the president be limited when their job deals with the welfare of the whole country and most of the world? My mom and her siblings took my grandma's license away at the age of 86, would she be fit to run the country?
astuteman wrote:

Decades of experience from being a senator and a good speech writer help big time. I used to think Trump spoke well via the miracle of TV editing until he became president. Being a career politician does teach you some things.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 am

vikkyvik wrote:
I'm also in favor of age ranges for senators and representatives, as well as term limits.

I saw Patrick Leahy being confirmed as Senate Pro Tempore...the guy is the current embodiment of the need for age limits, though Chuck Grassley, Richard Shelby, and Dianne Feinstein are not that far off. I'd say no one should be elected or confirmed to federal position after age 75.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aaron747

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:38 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

I saw Patrick Leahy being confirmed as Senate Pro Tempore...the guy is the current embodiment of the need for age limits, though Chuck Grassley, Richard Shelby, and Dianne Feinstein are not that far off. I'd say no one should be elected or confirmed to federal position after age 75.

Seriously - there are several senators who are plain embarassing themselves by not having retired.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:13 am

Biden is of course much better than Trump (yes, no need to wait to say that), but I agree he's too old and by that fact alone very uninspiring. The president+VP setup of the US should naturally lead to a younger and fitter president, seconded by an older and more experienced VP, instead of the opposite, I feel.

In France when Nicolas Sarkozy was elected at 52yo in 2007, people were amazed he made it at such a "young" age, after 14 years of old Mitterrand and 12 years of old Chirac. Ten years later Emmanuel Macron was elected before he was 40. His first prime minister and his current one are both older than him.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 am

Aesma wrote:
Biden is of course much better than Trump (yes, no need to wait to say that), but I agree he's too old and by that fact alone very uninspiring. The president+VP setup of the US should naturally lead to a younger and fitter president, seconded by an older and more experienced VP, instead of the opposite, I feel.

Almost positive the last time that happened on the US (as far as a significant age difference between POTUS and VPOTUS) was JFK/LBJ.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:00 am

meecrob wrote:
So with all these responses saying there should be age limits, surely there is a study or report someone can link to that shows a clear correlation to age and being less effective as POTUS? If not, you lot just sound like a bunch of sour grapes. The simple fact is that although typically mental degradation occurs in advanced age, there is no proof whatsoever that mental degradation WILL occur. Similarly, there are people with dementia in their 50's and you guys are saying the cutoff age should be above that. Would it not be a superior system for Presidential candidates to get a mental evaluation rather than use a blanket max age that might not only prevent elderly mentally sound individuals from becoming POTUS, but also allow people to be POTUS who are not mentally sound, but are not past the cutoff age?

Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.

Francoflier

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:12 am

Age is not directly related to the mental capacity required to perform the duties of the office. This is why it is discriminatory to impose age limits.

I have 94 year old relatives who are as lucid and eloquent as they've ever been and a 70 year old one who is unfortunately slowly losing her mind...

How about a cognitive test for the President and other high ranking government officials (SCOTUS judges come to mind) that would be a little more comprehensive than identifying an elephant on a sheet of paper?...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LNCS0930

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 am

When Biden inevitably dies in office I suspect it’ll be heavily discussed. I think the max age you can run should be 65 and this means if you’re 62 when term one starts you can’t run for a 2nd one. 60 is ancient enough in my mind, 65 is very old, 70 you’re basically over 50% to be dead in the next 4 years on average

Aesma

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Almost positive the last time that happened on the US (as far as a significant age difference between POTUS and VPOTUS) was JFK/LBJ.

You're forgetting Obama/Biden
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GDB

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
When Biden inevitably dies in office I suspect it’ll be heavily discussed. I think the max age you can run should be 65 and this means if you’re 62 when term one starts you can’t run for a 2nd one. 60 is ancient enough in my mind, 65 is very old, 70 you’re basically over 50% to be dead in the next 4 years on average

Got his medical records have you? No?
And you have demonstrated that ageism is still acceptable in a way that racism and sexism isn't, well not in the civilized world at least.
'Your mind', yes, we've seen some of that, I'd not hurry to judge ability, understanding on age if I were you.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 am

GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

And you have demonstrated that ageism is still acceptable in a way that racism and sexism isn't, well not in the civilized world at least.
'Your mind', yes, we've seen some of that, I'd not hurry to judge ability, understanding on age if I were you.

Then why are there age limits on many jobs, most pilots are retired at 65, depending on flag most countries retire mariners between 55 and 60, the US military has a mandatory retirement age of 64, the FAA retires air traffic controllers at 62. Ageism is acceptable in many jobs, why should POTUS, elected officials and judges be any different.

c933103

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 am

It should be based on health level not age. As science and medicine advance, people will imevitably live longer, and hopefully we can find out ways to keep people healthier for longer period of times. Any limit set in the current time is not going to match the need of future generations.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

GDB

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am

Kiwirob wrote:
GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Then why are there age limits on many jobs, most pilots are retired at 65, depending on flag most countries retire mariners between 55 and 60, the US military has a mandatory retirement age of 64, the FAA retires air traffic controllers at 62. Ageism is acceptable in many jobs, why should POTUS, elected officials and judges be any different.

Operating a complex piece of machinery like an airliner is not the same skill set as being a political leader, with the military, it's a holdover from the time when even the top brass might in theory be in a combat situation.
With lawmakers and judges there should be regular checks, as age increases, for any decline in mental ability.

Let's have this right shall we? The poster I was replying to agenda was very clear, we saw how Trump self declared his genius with a note from his actual quack 'doctor' (straight out of central casting even), yet in reality he could barely string a sentence together, could not handle reading complex and long documents, they actually made picture books for him.
His age or the fact he's always been as thick as pigshit? His business record suggests the latter.

As I stated before, in the late 19th Century the then superpower had PM's older than Biden.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 am

Many would argue that running a country is far more difficult that operating an aircraft, ship or other kinds of complex machinery.

The ages of UK PM's way back when isn't relevant in today's world with 24/7 media, besides the oldest PM when first appointed to the job was Henry John Temple, he was 70, the oldest PM upon retirement from office was William Gladstone, he was 84.

Jetty

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:25 pm

I looked up some af the ages and it seems the main politicians in the USA are now the oldest in any country on the world ever.

Biden: 78
Pelosi: 80
McConnel: 78

Why do people in the USA prefer very old policians so much? Most developed countries don’t have many past retirement age even.

GDB

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:43 pm

From wiki, very quick search;
The oldest prime minister to assume office for the first time was Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (aged 70 years, 109 days). The oldest prime minister to be appointed overall was William Ewart Gladstone (aged 82 years, 230 days) when he was appointed for the fourth and final time on 15 August 1892.

If something goes wrong at 35,000 feet, mental acuity, quick reactions are vital, best hope your co-pilot is up to it, as it is only the two of them.
A PM or President is surrounded by staff, advisors, ministers or VP's.
It's not the same circumstances.

Whatever you think of Biden, he has a wealth of experience, 50 years of it.
Whereas the Orange brat who skulked off yesterday, didn't know anything about the job, didn't want to learn anything either, hence the unprecedented turnover of staff, most of them I suspect just gave up on him.

L410Turbolet

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
winginit wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

There are reasons for positions mentioned above. I don't think being POTUS is a big of a deal. He is 77, so what?! Who cares.

Being in control of nukes capable of destroying the Earth several times over is not a big deal?

Aesma

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:38 pm

GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

I think older people barred from some jobs can still be very useful to society/companies, as advisors for example.

The 35yo age requirement is discriminatory too, why aren't you complaining about it ?

People are getting older, and older people vote more, so things are not going to go in the right direction. What is the average age of leaders in the world ?

Didn't Biden say the other day that his son should be in his place ? Kind of says it all doesn't it ?

And I totally agree that old people can be sharp and that's great, I hope I'm one of them too one day, but unless and until this can be measured accurately and taken into account (a requirement to be at "95%" or something like that) then age will do.

My father is 72 and is publishing more papers now (as a sociology PhD) than when he was not retired...

Dieuwer

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Those can exist concurrently. What is listed in the Constitution is not an age limit. It is an age requirement, similar to what you would have for a Driving License or authorization to commence sex operations. Not controversial.

Semantics.
If there is a lower age limit or lower age requirement, there can be an upper age requirement.

GDB

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:17 pm

Aesma wrote:
GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

I think older people barred from some jobs can still be very useful to society/companies, as advisors for example.

The 35yo age requirement is discriminatory too, why aren't you complaining about it ?

People are getting older, and older people vote more, so things are not going to go in the right direction. What is the average age of leaders in the world ?

Didn't Biden say the other day that his son should be in his place ? Kind of says it all doesn't it ?

And I totally agree that old people can be sharp and that's great, I hope I'm one of them too one day, but unless and until this can be measured accurately and taken into account (a requirement to be at "95%" or something like that) then age will do.

My father is 72 and is publishing more papers now (as a sociology PhD) than when he was not retired...

While there is an argument for experience, it's also a a holdover from a time when 35 was middle aged.
They could in theory drop the minimum age but I doubt you would see a successful candidate emerge from it.

I could say that would be the choice of the people but that's all BS really, US voters cannot elect a POTUS for a 3rd term, their votes don't really count until some bunch of 'electors' decide, which wasn't seen as an issue until this election.
Seems like an 18th Century system preserved for....some reason.
The Founders were not all that keen on too much democracy it seems.

LNCS0930

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 pm

GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

The guy can barely walk. He walks like a 95 year old. If you can’t see Biden is in markedly worse shape than say Pelosi or McConnell you ain’t looking too close and he’s also in the most stressful job in the world. I personally feel he will be dead before the 2022 midterms and next to no chance he’s alive in 2023. Biden is an example of why they sometimes say some weight gain with age is healthy. Those who stay thinner or don’t add on to their frame or develop that waste fat often times are more prone or injury or body breaking down once they get past 60. Trump is overweight but something between Trump and Biden is ideal.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Semantics.
If there is a lower age limit or lower age requirement, there can be an upper age requirement.

Not really, and not at all if you take into account the variances in individuals. Ideally, I think we would all like to see people under 70 or so at the helm there, but we can make exceptions where needed. Ruth Ginsburg was known to be very sharp even through her cancer.

For under age requirement issues, there are genuine maturation and developmental milestones in play. Those are far more solid.

FWIW, I saw your original reply & do not know why it was removed. Thanks for replying again.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

Dieuwer

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:20 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Semantics.

Not really, and not at all if you take into account the variances in individuals. Ideally, I think we would all like to see people under 70 or so at the helm there, but we can make exceptions where needed. Ruth Ginsburg was known to be very sharp even through her cancer.

For under age requirement issues, there are genuine maturation and developmental milestones in play. Those are far more solid.

FWIW, I saw your original reply & do not know why it was removed. Thanks for replying again.

The major requirement would be "qualified", but I guess that is too vague. And regarding age, a sharp 70-year old is obviously not problem, but someone with Alzheimer is.

GDB

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
GDB wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

The guy can barely walk. He walks like a 95 year old. If you can’t see Biden is in markedly worse shape than say Pelosi or McConnell you ain’t looking too close and he’s also in the most stressful job in the world. I personally feel he will be dead before the 2022 midterms and next to no chance he’s alive in 2023. Biden is an example of why they sometimes say some weight gain with age is healthy. Those who stay thinner or don’t add on to their frame or develop that waste fat often times are more prone or injury or body breaking down once they get past 60. Trump is overweight but something between Trump and Biden is ideal.

He's getting on true, has had to fight a stutter, however he can speak like an adult, his inauguration speech was more rational and adult than Trump ever was in his whole 4 years. Biden did a fair amount of walking for his age yesterday.
And that obese, heavily made up (missed that part out didn't you?) old fool Trump cannot walk too good.
Biden is known to eat well and take exercise, two things alien to Trump, with his fat arse on the golf buggy or slumped on the couch ranting on twitter.

But guess what? Age affects different people in different ways, the luck of genes, or lifestyle choices.
Some get lucky, live to a ripe old age, with their faculties and go quietly in their sleep.
Others get early onset dementia.

As for your theory of weight gain is good, love to hear you tell a doctor that.
You seem to be adding medical Flat Earthism to your political one in the election threads.

LMP737

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:58 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:

. Biden is an example of why they sometimes say some weight gain with age is healthy. Those who stay thinner or don’t add on to their frame or develop that waste fat often times are more prone or injury or body breaking down once they get past 60. Trump is overweight but something between Trump and Biden is ideal.

Is this a joke? Weight gain as you get older is never good. It puts stress on your joints, can raise your blood pressure and make recovery from surgery that much harder. And surgery is something that will become more likely as we age. And Trump is not overweight, he's obese.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

cpd

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:13 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
Biden is an example of why they sometimes say some weight gain with age is healthy. Those who stay thinner or don’t add on to their frame or develop that waste fat often times are more prone or injury or body breaking down once they get past 60. Trump is overweight but something between Trump and Biden is ideal.

Who is they, and what are the qualifications of they?

I know people pushing near 60 who are still extremely fit, didn't "add to their frame" and didn't "develop that waste fat" who have no injuries, no body breaking down, none of that and can ride a bicycle very, very fast (keeping up with young elite riders).

I know plenty of other 60+ year olds who are also very active and really healthy. Also look at Walter Röhrl, over 70 years old and still very fit!

I'm not sure what sort of proper health guidance you've heard that prompted you to write that comment above, but you probably shouldn't take notice of it.

Maybe it's just your way sledge Biden, but it's not correct.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:32 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
Biden is an example of why they sometimes say some weight gain with age is healthy. Those who stay thinner or don’t add on to their frame or develop that waste fat often times are more prone or injury or body breaking down once they get past 60. Trump is overweight but something between Trump and Biden is ideal.

The entirety of the above is pseudoscientific nonsense. As he’s probably around 160 lbs, Biden is within the healthy range for a 5’11 adult male.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:55 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Age is not directly related to the mental capacity required to perform the duties of the office. This is why it is discriminatory to impose age limits.

It's not really the mental capacity. Stephen Hawking was crippled from head to toe yet his mind was as sharp as ever, yet I don't think anyone would think he would be a suitable person to be elected into politics.

After a certain age, your body simply deteriorates. Your mind may be sharp, but your motor skills slow down, or vice-versa. If you require assistance to reach a seat (and it's not a handicapped issue), then you should consider retiring.

There's also the whole generational aspect of it. The nation can't move on with the times if fossils from over 40 years ago are still calling the shots. At some point, younger minds need to take their spots. Imagine where we'd be if younger Republicans and Democrats were in charge rather than the ones we have now.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bennett123

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:19 pm

LNCS0930

I am currently pushing 62.

I don't expect my body to 'break down' any time soon.

Iloveboeing

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:58 am

[twoid][/twoid]
vikkyvik wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with this, but mostly because the President (and the other members of the government) should be legislating for the future of the country and citizens.

My opinion: at the start of your term, you should be between 35 (the current minimum age) and 55.

On Congress, absolutely! Senator Dianne Feinstein (the oldest senator) is 87 and has already filed to run for re-election in 2024 (when she will be 91)! Robert Byrd from West Virginia served until his death (age 92) and Strom Thurmond from South Carolina who died 6 months after leaving the Senate at age 100.

I was born and raised in Maryland and Barbara Mikulski was first elected to the Senate in 1986 (the year I was born). I was jokingly told by a friend in the late 2000s, “that seat’s hers for life if she wants it.” She retired after 2016, after serving in the Senate for 30 years.

I think there needs to be term limits on Congress. Some act as if it’s a lifetime appointment and then they forget why they were elected in the first place. I think that both members of the House and Senate should be allowed to serve 12 years maximum in each chamber (six terms in the House and two terms in the Senate). This way, they’d be motivated to actually get things done.