Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

Manure smell is now protected sensory heritage in France

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:30 pm

You can't make this up !

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sy-rooster

I guess some people figured they could sue with impunity like in the US, so they did, about a rooster chanting, bells ringing, etc., and this has caused backlash.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Bricktop

Re: Manure smell is now protected sensory heritage in France

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Not really that different from the people who buy property next to an airport and whine about the noise IMO. Preserve the rural life!

Good for the French!

VSMUT

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:07 am

Good. It's like that mad Dutch woman in Switzerland who moved to the countryside and then started campaigning against cowbells and churchbells.

JJJ

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Not really that different from the people who buy property next to an airport and whine about the noise IMO. Preserve the rural life!

Good for the French!

From time to time some neighbor comes to the local airfield office to complain about the noise or a letter from some homeowners association.

The answer is always pointing to the aerial picture hanging on the wall (dating back to the 60s I believe) where the airfield is just surrounded by fields and the odd shack to keep utensils.

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:14 am

Aesma wrote:
You can't make this up !

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... sy-rooster

I guess some people figured they could sue with impunity like in the US, so they did, about a rooster chanting, bells ringing, etc., and this has caused backlash.

I live in a semi rural environment, summer smells like shit and the neighbours have chickens, the cock crows every morning. It’s part of the ambience of living in the countryside, I love it.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:27 am

Personally I would probably not like a cock just beside my house. But my reason to move to the countryside (still not that far from civilization, though) is precisely to have my own, large enough land, so that the cock would be some distance away. Then I wouldn't mind.

My parents' have a house in the historic center of a medieval city, the bedrooms' windows have a nice view of the cathedral church's bell towers, in summer if you sleep with the windows opened, no sleeping in possible !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

THS214

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:45 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Good. It's like that mad Dutch woman in Switzerland who moved to the countryside and then started campaigning against cowbells and churchbells.

Out of curiosity why church bells should affect everyone in a few kilometres from the church? Freedom of religion? For who? I mean that those bells can be played INSIDE a church and all those who want can hear them. Those who don't want to hear them don't have to. Easy to arrange if there is a will.

moo

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:54 pm

THS214 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Out of curiosity why church bells should affect everyone in a few kilometres from the church? Freedom of religion? For who? I mean that those bells can be played INSIDE a church and all those who want can hear them. Those who don't want to hear them don't have to. Easy to arrange if there is a will.

Many rural churches chime on the hour, half hour etc.

Its significantly less about religion that you think it is - in many cases rural churches have been part of time keeping in the countryside for hundreds of years. Yes, its largely tradition these days, but its still about a newcomer interfering with something thats been going on for a long time in the community they are joining. Silencing those bells takes something away from the people who have lived with them for their entire lives, it takes away something from the community.

As a separate anecdote, the development my house in the UK is part of was built on the site of a victorian factory, which was built on the site of an even earlier factory etc. All the buildings around this development are industrial in nature - its set back from the non-industrial part of this city by a long road (its basically alongside the old high street, set back from it).

Of course, opposite one side of the development is an active factory, I think they build boxes and packaging materials. Trucks going in, coming out - the only goods inwards the factory has is on the shared road with this development, which when the factory was built would have been shared with other factories...

Of course, 3 years on, who is now complaining about noise, vibration, traffic etc? The people who bought houses opposite a factory... They now want the factory shut.

I refused to sign that petition, which caused a few angry words to come my way.

THS214

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:07 am

moo wrote:
THS214 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Many rural churches chime on the hour, half hour etc.

Its significantly less about religion that you think it is - in many cases rural churches have been part of time keeping in the countryside for hundreds of years. Yes, its largely tradition these days, but its still about a newcomer interfering with something thats been going on for a long time in the community they are joining. Silencing those bells takes something away from the people who have lived with them for their entire lives, it takes away something from the community.

As a separate anecdote, the development my house in the UK is part of was built on the site of a victorian factory, which was built on the site of an even earlier factory etc. All the buildings around this development are industrial in nature - its set back from the non-industrial part of this city by a long road (its basically alongside the old high street, set back from it).

Of course, opposite one side of the development is an active factory, I think they build boxes and packaging materials. Trucks going in, coming out - the only goods inwards the factory has is on the shared road with this development, which when the factory was built would have been shared with other factories...

Of course, 3 years on, who is now complaining about noise, vibration, traffic etc? The people who bought houses opposite a factory... They now want the factory shut.

I refused to sign that petition, which caused a few angry words to come my way.

That's understandable. Not the same in Finland.

WildcatYXU

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:31 am

Aesma wrote:
Personally I would probably not like a cock just beside my house. But my reason to move to the countryside (still not that far from civilization, though) is precisely to have my own, large enough land, so that the cock would be some distance away. Then I wouldn't mind.

Yes, I know exactly where you're coming from. I spent 7 months last year at STX. For some reason, there are many chickens living there. They are all over the place. Including the condo complex where I was renting a condo. There was a rooster living just under my bedroom window. He started crowing around 04:00 every single morning. And wouldn't stop until daylight...
I threatened him with catching him and turning him into a chicken soup, but he didn't care.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Aesma
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 am

About church bells compromises can be found. In many places they stopped giving hours too early, starting say at 8AM instead of 6AM.

The call for Mass is once a day, quite short on week days and only longer for Sunday, something like that.

My main complaint would rather be that my taxes pay for the church building rather than the bells, but where I live this isn't the case (modern church so not owned by the state) and the cathedral I mentioned earlier is an historic and very nice building so that's OK too, I even gave money to restore it, despite being anticlerical.

VSMUT

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:32 am

THS214 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Cultural heritage. Those churches and sounds have been around for hundreds of years. We aren't talking something that was erected in the past 50 years. My own local church has been around for over 900 years.

WanderLust744

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 pm

Manure definitely smells nostalgic if you grew up in a rural area. It also doesn't smell foul like human feces, far from it.