Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

petertenthije

Re: Trump Impeachment "Trial" Underway

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:13 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
If it was a real court of law you would expect anyone with even the slightest conflict of interest to recuse themselves.

Would that not rule out everyone in the USA? Everyone in the USA already has an opinion on Trump and his merry band of misfits.

So, basically, as long as your position and influence is big enough, you can do whatever your want?
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

seb146

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:34 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
The only thing I want to see out of this "trial" is to see Trump banned from being elected to office. If we are to prosper as a nation, we cannot elect someone like him ever again. This "experiment" of Trump in office was one that went so, so bad to the point that most Americans are embarrassed.

Honestly, I don't care if he gets 'convicted'. I just don't think he should be eligible to run for office ever again. The guy was never a politician to begin with (he admitted that himself), and he screwed that up royally as POTUS.

There are politicians who will use what he did and go with it so it happens again. Then what?

Then we will deal with that politician when we cross that bridge. Hopefully, we won't have to go through this crap again.

WHEN it happens again, the rhetoric will be "no one was punished last time, so we have precedent". We need to show other countries around the world that we will not allow those who attempt a coup in the United States will be held accountable and, more important, that we will hold those accountable who attempt a coup in the United States.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

art

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:59 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
If it was a real court of law you would expect anyone with even the slightest conflict of interest to recuse themselves.

Would that not rule out everyone in the USA? Everyone in the USA already has an opinion on Trump and his merry band of misfits.

So, basically, as long as your position and influence is big enough, you can do whatever your want?

That's the way it is in banana republics, dictatorships (military or otherwise) and... now... it seems... the USA. Isn't a poltical system reduced to tribalism and self interest just wonderful?

MaverickM11

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 am

Two of Trump's impeachment defense attorneys leave team less than two weeks before trial

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/politics ... index.html

I'm sure they got paid for their work thus far :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

MaverickM11

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:48 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Two of Trump's impeachment defense attorneys leave team less than two weeks before trial

I'm sure they got paid for their work thus far :rotfl:

Scratch that.

FIVE attorneys have dropped him like a bad habit.

Five of Trump's impeachment defense attorneys leave team less than two weeks before trial

Is that Christian nutjob Jenna available? Is Rudy still talking to him? Who is left?

scbriml

Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:39 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Who is left?

A team of sweaty Rudy, Sidney "Kraken" Powell and Lin Wood would be pretty awesome. But, they absolutely have to get Mellissa Carone to testify! :rotfl:

Or let Trump defend himself!

Either was, it's all a bit of a dog and pony show because he's very unlikely to be found guilty since there aren't enough honest republican senators.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:01 pm

Trump seems to want to have his lawyers argue that the election 'was rigged' and that he actually won instead of doing a more normal defense.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

He has intimidated the jury of the Senators so if any Republicans (and a few Democrats) vote to remove him, they will lose their next election (either a primary or general) and they and the families will face violence from his supporters. Sadly that intimidation has worked and along with other factors, he will not be convicted. Lets face it, Trump is indefensible. He caused the most extreme act of insurrection since the Civil War. He has tried to extort state governments to overthrow election results. For that he needs to be severely punished.

Francoflier

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Trump seems to want to have his lawyers argue that the election 'was rigged' and that he actually won instead of doing a more normal defense.

He has intimidated the jury of the Senators so if any Republicans (and a few Democrats) vote to remove him, they will lose their next election (either a primary or general) and they and the families will face violence from his supporters. Sadly that intimidation has worked and along with other factors, he will not be convicted. Lets face it, Trump is indefensible. He caused the most extreme act of insurrection since the Civil War. He has tried to extort state governments to overthrow election results. For that he needs to be severely punished.

It's unbelievable... well, at least it would have been a few years ago.
His ego seems to take precedence over any sort of rational decision or thought, even if it means putting his own fate in jeopardy. He literally is mentally insane, and I think that should be his defense.

The worst of all? He will rock up to his trial with no defense, no plan and, as usual, no clue, and still be acquitted by the Republicans.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

AirWorthy99

Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Impeachment 2.0. Yawn.... forgone conclusion 2.0.

I am desperately waiting in this forum for someone to open a thread on anything relating to Biden's first days in office or at least his agenda. Absolutely zero threads on it. Either people only want to talk about Trump despite him being away from office, or Biden's agenda is meaningless, perhaps boring or simply disastrous because no one is willing to discuss about it. Crossing my fingers.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Virtual737
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:32 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Impeachment 2.0. Yawn.... forgone conclusion 2.0.

I am desperately waiting in this forum for someone to open a thread on anything relating to Biden's first days in office or at least his agenda. Absolutely zero threads on it. Either people only want to talk about Trump despite him being away from office, or Biden's agenda is meaningless, perhaps boring or simply disastrous because no one is willing to discuss about it. Crossing my fingers.

Why don't you create said thread?

Virtual737
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:38 pm

seb146 wrote:
There are politicians who will use what he did and go with it so it happens again. Then what? He needs to be held accountable and so do the elected officials who enabled him.

Either that or the US needs to totally keep its nose out of the affairs of every other country.

For decades to come, any time the US tries to apply pressure to any foreign power based on the will of that country's people they have absolutely zero credibility.

When some of Trump's supporters were questioned about the US being a democracy, they replied "we are not a democracy, we're a republic", not knowing that the two are not mutually exclusive. A republic is how the nation is governed and democracy is how the people choose who does the governing. Again, you can't fix stupid.

casinterest

Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:43 pm

Francoflier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

His ego seems to take precedence over any sort of rational decision or thought, even if it means putting his own fate in jeopardy. He literally is mentally insane, and I think that should be his defense.

The worst of all? He will rock up to his trial with no defense, no plan and, as usual, no clue, and still be acquitted by the Republicans.

Trump is playing to the uneducated. At this point, those that keep repeating this lie need to be sued for defamation as Dominion is currently doing.

The right wing and it's misinformation machines needs to be put in it's place.

A good start would be for every Senator to find trump guilty of incitement of insurrection. The GOP is in a bad place now. It is either a party working for this country, or a cult built on lies and idol worship. A vote to save Trump means that it is more of a cult than anything resembling a democratic institution.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

MaverickM11

Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Trump is playing to the uneducated. At this point, those that keep repeating this lie need to be sued for defamation as Dominion is currently doing.

A good start would be for every Senator to find trump guilty of incitement of insurrection. The GOP is in a bad place now. It is either a party working for this country, or a cult built on lies and idol worship. A vote to save Trump means that it is more of a cult than anything resembling a democratic institution.

The GOP will not find him guilty. They will not do anything about Marjorie Taylor Greene. In fact she will be the leading edge of what the GOP turns into, and arguably already is--an unhinged, conspiracy laden murderous mob of white rage. It is what it is. The only question is will they destroy the country along with themselves.

tomaheath

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:13 pm

afcjets wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The after-office Impeachment trial of now ex-President Trump for his acts as President is going to fail to convict him, but it will still be a stain on Trump forever in his remaining life and in history. It is necessary to hold this trial to also put the Republicans who supported him on historical records of their complicity by supporting him it led to an act of violent insurrection, threats to the Congress members and others that is unacceptable. The idea that a conviction in an Impeachment trial is to keep Trump from running for President or any other office in the future isn't necessary. Trump is likely to be financial destroyed due to his severe debts, mismanagement, bad investments, his name now worthless to license, cheating and fraud on taxes of his companies and himself, insurance and financial fraud, convicted or a plea deal on felony charges, possibly jail time, so won't be able to run for office again anyway.

I am glad Trump is being impeached twice. Just like a double negative they cancel each other out ;)

In all seriousness for centuries to come future generations will realize it totally was a witch hunt, with two unsuccessful and absurd impeachments.

I am glad you aren't wanting him impeached so he can't run again. The media and Democrats sound so desperate and pathetic when they use that as justification for impeaching after his presidency. The irony of them crying undermining democracy when they want to make damn sure it's undermined should the people want Trump again after Biden is done with us.

They're absolutely going to convict him for something, likely taxes. But the real crime IMO is he dared to run and actually win as an outsider and upset the apple cart/gravy train of the political establishment.

Bingo! I agree 100%

phluser

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 pm

A number of Republican Senators state that the trial is unconstitutional as Trump is no longer in office.

I reviewed the text of the Constitution regarding impeachment, and this line in bold stands out indicating this trial would be constitutional:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Do these GOP Senators that are trying to avoid the trial on constitutionality grounds have a basis when the trial can serve the purpose for the disqualification from holding office? The House sent the impeachment articles when Trump was still in office, so once the Senate led by Schumer tries it, I don't know how the GOP Senators can still stay it's unconstitutional.

FGITD

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:19 pm

phluser wrote:
A number of Republican Senators state that the trial is unconstitutional as Trump is no longer in office.

I reviewed the text of the Constitution regarding impeachment, and this line in bold stands out indicating this trial would be constitutional:

"The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

Do these GOP Senators that are trying to avoid the trial on procedural grounds have a basis when the trial can serve the purpose for the disqualification from holding office. The House sent the impeachment articles when Trump was still in office, so once the Senate led by Schumer tries it, I don't know how the GOP Senators can still stay it's unconstitutional.

Very simple answer. For bring the party that likes to bang the old “but the constitution says...!” drum, most of them have almost certainly never actually read the document. Likely the same for both parties.

The constitution I fear is going to slowly turn into the Bible. Certain parts are meant to be taken literally, and others you must interpret...depending on which view is more beneficial at any given moment.

I firmly believe the way the Declaration and especially the Constitution have been elevated to sacred text status will lead to considerable problems in the future. It was never intended to last this long in its original form, and perpetual renewal for modernization was always the hope. Just imagine Congress trying to ratify an amendment these days. You could try to pass an amendment that just says “terrorism is bad” and it would likely stall in the senate while they argue over the definitions of terrorism, is, and bad.

petertenthije

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:37 pm

If Trump can no longer be prosecuted because he is no longer president, could some savvy lawyer use the same argument and say “my client has not murdered someone in over a week, therefor you can not convict him”. Would be interesting how a judge would respond to that defence. Especially if the judge were appointed by a republican.

Also, it is interesting that McConnel is saying he won’t allow a trial because the Democrats are too late, while at the same time being the reason Trump was not trialled while still in office by not convening the senate.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Virtual737
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:59 am

tomaheath wrote:
afcjets wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The after-office Impeachment trial of now ex-President Trump for his acts as President is going to fail to convict him, but it will still be a stain on Trump forever in his remaining life and in history. It is necessary to hold this trial to also put the Republicans who supported him on historical records of their complicity by supporting him it led to an act of violent insurrection, threats to the Congress members and others that is unacceptable. The idea that a conviction in an Impeachment trial is to keep Trump from running for President or any other office in the future isn't necessary. Trump is likely to be financial destroyed due to his severe debts, mismanagement, bad investments, his name now worthless to license, cheating and fraud on taxes of his companies and himself, insurance and financial fraud, convicted or a plea deal on felony charges, possibly jail time, so won't be able to run for office again anyway.

I am glad Trump is being impeached twice. Just like a double negative they cancel each other out ;)

In all seriousness for centuries to come future generations will realize it totally was a witch hunt, with two unsuccessful and absurd impeachments.

I am glad you aren't wanting him impeached so he can't run again. The media and Democrats sound so desperate and pathetic when they use that as justification for impeaching after his presidency. The irony of them crying undermining democracy when they want to make damn sure it's undermined should the people want Trump again after Biden is done with us.

They're absolutely going to convict him for something, likely taxes. But the real crime IMO is he dared to run and actually win as an outsider and upset the apple cart/gravy train of the political establishment.

Bingo! I agree 100%

For both tomaheath and afcjets - why do you believe this latest impeachment was a witch hunt?

If its because he's already out of office but he did incite insurrection, do you think he should face no punishment for it at all?

If you don't think he incited insurrection, do you think he did anything wrong at all?

seahawk

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:49 am

phluser wrote:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Do these GOP Senators that are trying to avoid the trial on constitutionality grounds have a basis when the trial can serve the purpose for the disqualification from holding office? The House sent the impeachment articles when Trump was still in office, so once the Senate led by Schumer tries it, I don't know how the GOP Senators can still stay it's unconstitutional.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The "and" at least allows different interpretations as it connects the removal from office directly with the other actions. It is kind a if impeached A and B has to happen. The question is can you still impeach if A is impossible.

Aesma

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am

In the list of "best to worst presidents", I feel it's a bit difficult to compare various times in history, and the crisis (or not) presidents have faced, however I'm pretty sure Trump will rank at the bottom in 10 years, 100 years and 1000 years. Maybe not the one at the very bottom, as someone worse can always happen, but still down there.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GDB

Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Bingo! I agree 100%

For both tomaheath and afcjets - why do you believe this latest impeachment was a witch hunt?

If its because he's already out of office but he did incite insurrection, do you think he should face no punishment for it at all?

If you don't think he incited insurrection, do you think he did anything wrong at all?

Good luck with getting a straight answer and not some whataboutery.
Maybe the latest in the GOP line up, the Congresswoman babbling about 'Jewish Space Lasers' is a real sign of what that party has become, crooks, crazies, flat out racists, insurrectionists, you are either with them, or against them, to quote one of their Presidents.

casinterest

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:00 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

The GOP will not find him guilty. They will not do anything about Marjorie Taylor Greene. In fact she will be the leading edge of what the GOP turns into, and arguably already is--an unhinged, conspiracy laden murderous mob of white rage. It is what it is. The only question is will they destroy the country along with themselves.

Perhaps so. A whole bunch of republicans are starting to quit the party.
How well set up will the GOP be if 5-20% of the party abandons them?

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53671 ... ump-report
Sources told Reuters that as many as 60 former officials would leave the party in the coming days, with at least one also citing Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's (R-Ga.) promotion of conspiracy theories as a reason for their exit.

“If it continues to be the party of Trump, many of us are not going back,” said Rosario Marin, a former U.S. Treasury official, told the news service. “Unless the Senate convicts him, and rids themselves of the Trump cancer, many of us will not be going back to vote for Republican leaders.”
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

tomaheath

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:09 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Bingo! I agree 100%

He has a big mouth that gets himself in trouble. With that said I don’t think he did anything wrong. I heard both online and in person people say that what happened at the capital was the most patriotic thing they’ve ever seen I personally don’t agree with that statement at all.

casinterest

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:13 pm

tomaheath wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
Bingo! I agree 100%

He has a big mouth that gets himself in trouble. With that said I don’t think he did anything wrong. I heard both online and in person people say that what happened at the capital was the most patriotic thing they’ve ever seen I personally don’t agree with that statement at all.

Trump lied and got police officers and US citizens killed and injured over it. He incited an angry mob to be even angrier, and it started at a rally where Trump still claimed without any shred of proof that the election was stolen. Trump undermined democracy. He deserves far worse than an impeachment.

tomaheath

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Trump lied and got police officers and US citizens killed and injured over it. He incited an angry mob to be even angrier, and it started at a rally where Trump still claimed without any shred of proof that the election was stolen. Trump undermined democracy. He deserves far worse than an impeachment.

I personally don’t think he incited the crowd. I also don’t think the election was “stolen” from him.

casinterest

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:48 pm

tomaheath wrote:
casinterest wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

I personally don’t think he incited the crowd. I also don’t think the election was “stolen” from him.

However, Trump thinks the election was stolen from him, and that message is what brought the crowd there.

Trump's own statements led to the riot by such delusional folks, along with other speakers that day.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021 ... itol-riot/

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 pm

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Perhaps so. A whole bunch of republicans are starting to quit the party.
How well set up will the GOP be if 5-20% of the party abandons them?

I agree but I'm also rational. Look at the AZ GOP, who has lost the senate and turned the state blue and they're still crowing about like they really owned the libs and are laser focused on canceling (for real this time) anyone that turned on Trump, like Cindy McCain. And then there's the OR GOP that makes the AZ GOP look sane--their first order of business was confirming the republican coup on January 6 was actually a false flag operation.

tomaheath wrote:
casinterest wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

He was inciting it on twitter for months in advance. I'm not sure what all his threats against Pence were suppose to be?

Sidebar: can you imagine if Trump tweeted about wearing masks even 10% as much about the election being stolen? Tens of thousands of lives would have been saved by the pro life party.

casinterest

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm

Here is the Democrats impeachment Brief.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/politics ... index.html

"Following the Electoral College vote, President Trump fixated on January 6, 2021—the date of the Joint Session of Congress—as presenting his last, best hope to reverse the election results and remain in power. Even as he continued improperly pressuring state officials, DOJ, and Members of Congress to overturn the electoral outcome, he sharply escalated his public statements, using more incendiary and violent language to urge supporters to 'stop the steal' on January 6. He insisted that the election had been 'rigged' and 'stolen,' and that his followers had to 'fight like hell' and 'fight to the death' against this 'act of war,' since they 'can't let it happen' and 'won't take it anymore!' These statements turned his 'wild' rally on January 6 into a powder keg waiting to blow. Indeed, it was obvious and entirely foreseeable that the furious crowd assembled before President Trump at the 'Save America Rally' on January 6 was primed (and prepared) for violence if he lit a spark."

"President Trump's effort to extend his grip on power by fomenting violence against Congress was a profound violation of the oath he swore. If provoking an insurrectionary riot against a Joint Session of Congress after losing an election is not an impeachable offense, it is hard to imagine what would be. The Framers themselves would not have hesitated to convict on these facts."

The GOP will have to come up with one hell of a good reason to avoid convicting as it appears Trump wishes to continue the "rigged" and "stolen" narrative ,which for anyone paying attention, was never presented as an issue in any of the state court battles. This was because there was no evidence. This is why Trump's previous defense team quit. They knew they couldn't defend their professional obligations and standing if they were to present a lie as a defense.

seb146

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:08 pm

I may have asked this before but to all you "MAGA" and "stop the steal" types who think this trial is a waste of time:

On Biden's last month in office, you would be fine with him calling in all citizens to take up arms and storm the Capital to keep him in office indefinitely. I am not asking. I am telling you that, by wanting this trial to not continue, you set up future leaders to do the same thing and not be punished.

Of course, those future leaders who attempt another coup will label themselves Republicans

tommy1808

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 am

seahawk wrote:
phluser wrote:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The "and" at least allows different interpretations as it connects the removal from office directly with the other actions. It is kind a if impeached A and B has to happen. The question is can you still impeach if A is impossible.

Third possibility: Congress can kick someone out, and ban them from running again, but can not go further than that. No prison time, no execution. Its congress after all, they could make a law saying "Presidents removed from office for high crimes and misdemeanors shall be imprisoned until the day they die.".

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seb146

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Can we also talk about the fact that many of these people are still walking free after storming the Capital, attempting a coup? Is there any reason for them not to repeat their violence during the Senate trial? They know they can get away with it.

Aesma

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:51 pm

Not even one GOP senator to vote for giving money to their citizens so that gives an indication of where this is going...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Aesma wrote:
Not even one GOP senator to vote for giving money to their citizens so that gives an indication of where this is going...

It is foregone that the GOP has sold out America. However this trial will show as more evidence of how far they have gone to the looney bin.

FGITD

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aesma wrote:

It is foregone that the GOP has sold out America. However this trial will show as more evidence of how far they have gone to the looney bin.

They should make sure to mail out a letter with the checks, just like Trump. Only this time just make it a list of the people who voted against the stimulus and make it clear that these people don't believe you deserve this money.

casinterest

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aesma wrote:

They should make sure to mail out a letter with the checks, just like Trump. Only this time just make it a list of the people who voted against the stimulus and make it clear that these people don't believe you deserve this money.

That should be fun.

tomaheath

Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Aesma wrote:

Good. We need more jobs not free money.

seb146

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:03 am

tomaheath wrote:
Aesma wrote:

That is actually one theory of economics that people want to try, since "trickle down" has failed us at the bottom. People at the bottom will spend whatever money they get. They don't have any reason to stash it away in the Cayman Islands or buy yet another yacht or their 40th vacation home. We at the bottom will spend that money and spend it in our own back yards, even if it does, ultimately, go to multi-national corporations. So, when we spend more, companies hire more. That means more people out there spending money. There does come a saturation point, but it also gets more money circulating.

Or, we could just let people at the bottom go without because those at the top will trickle down their wealth to us all. Like we have been told would happen every day for the past 40+ years...

tomaheath

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:10 am

seb146 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
Aesma wrote:

That is actually one theory of economics that people want to try, since "trickle down" has failed us at the bottom. People at the bottom will spend whatever money they get. They don't have any reason to stash it away in the Cayman Islands or buy yet another yacht or their 40th vacation home. We at the bottom will spend that money and spend it in our own back yards, even if it does, ultimately, go to multi-national corporations. So, when we spend more, companies hire more. That means more people out there spending money. There does come a saturation point, but it also gets more money circulating.

Or, we could just let people at the bottom go without because those at the top will trickle down their wealth to us all. Like we have been told would happen every day for the past 40+ years...

You bring up very good points. Thanks for your reply.

Aesma

Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:45 pm

tomaheath wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Yet they all voted for plenty of free money when their president was in charge. Starting with cutting taxes for the richest companies that didn't need any of it, and are stashing hundreds of billions on their accounts with no economic return for anyone, nor any benefit of any kind.

seb146

Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:22 pm

I wonder how many of the MAGA members will send their checks back? Better yet, enclose a a note with each check letting Americans know how Biden worked hard for this money and watch MAGAs lose their minds.

seb146

Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:46 pm

I have a question that would be relevant in several threads:

Because Louis DeJoy was part of the reason for mail in ballots being suspect, can Biden remove him? Is the Postmaster Of The United States one of those "they serve at the pleasure of the president" positions?

Challenger007

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Aesma wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Yet they all voted for plenty of free money when their president was in charge. Starting with cutting taxes for the richest companies that didn't need any of it, and are stashing hundreds of billions on their accounts with no economic return for anyone, nor any benefit of any kind.

So much for democratic elections, good for the people. But in fact, it is good for those who are already doing well. And let the small business die out. How many small companies just disappeared during the coronavirus quarantine? Some of them, of course, survived, those who had a financial cushion. But others had a hard time. And who cares?

casinterest

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 pm

Important Notes to keep handy going into this Trial.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/08/96534225 ... y-attacked

As Congress began formally counting the Electoral College votes, the president, his lawyer and other allies addressed a crowd that included Proud Boys, assorted extremist groups and numerous people wearing QAnon paraphernalia.

"Let's have a trial by combat!" Giuliani proclaimed.

"You'll never take back our country with weakness," Trump said. "You have to show strength and you have to be strong." After a brief mention of peaceful protest, Trump released a crowd that he had been priming with lies for most of a year, and sent them toward the Capitol.

2:24 p.m.

Trump issued a tweet denouncing then-Vice President Pence, who was overseeing the vote count in the Capitol. Pence had declined Trump's demand that he disrupt the count, insisting on following his duty under the Constitution.

Immediately afterward, "The crowd goes wild about calling Pence a traitor," said Ryan Goodman of Just Security. Goodman's website compiled time-stamped video of a rioter inside the Capitol shouting on a phone: "Can I speak to Pelosi? Yeah, we're coming, b****. Oh, Mike Pence? We're coming for you too you f****** traitor."

"Bring out Pence," others chanted.

6:01 p.m.

In one of his last tweets before his account was removed from Twitter, the defeated president appeared to justify and celebrate the attack: "These are the things and events that happen," when what he falsely called an election victory is stolen. "Go home with love and in peace, remember this day forever!"

It would not be until a week later, the day the House impeached him, that Trump delivered an unequivocal denouncement of the attack.

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:42 pm

casinterest wrote:

As Congress began formally counting the Electoral College votes, the president, his lawyer and other allies addressed a crowd that included Proud Boys, assorted extremist groups and numerous people wearing QAnon paraphernalia.

"You'll never take back our country with weakness," Trump said. "You have to show strength and you have to be strong." After a brief mention of peaceful protest, Trump released a crowd that he had been priming with lies for most of a year, and sent them toward the Capitol.

Trump issued a tweet denouncing then-Vice President Pence, who was overseeing the vote count in the Capitol. Pence had declined Trump's demand that he disrupt the count, insisting on following his duty under the Constitution.

Immediately afterward, "The crowd goes wild about calling Pence a traitor," said Ryan Goodman of Just Security. Goodman's website compiled time-stamped video of a rioter inside the Capitol shouting on a phone: "Can I speak to Pelosi? Yeah, we're coming, b****. Oh, Mike Pence? We're coming for you too you f****** traitor."

In one of his last tweets before his account was removed from Twitter, the defeated president appeared to justify and celebrate the attack: "These are the things and events that happen," when what he falsely called an election victory is stolen. "Go home with love and in peace, remember this day forever!"

It would not be until a week later, the day the House impeached him, that Trump delivered an unequivocal denouncement of the attack.

Did Trump & team lift a single finger to stop the violent GOP insurrection?

casinterest

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:58 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Let's put it this way, would this rally have ever taken place if not for the false/Fake stolen election narrative?

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Let's put it this way, would this rally have ever taken place if not for the false/Fake stolen election narrative?

Of course not. Just curious how the right wing terrarium spins Trump effectively fiddling as the Capitol burned...

casinterest

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:48 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Of course not. Just curious how the right wing terrarium spins Trump effectively fiddling as the Capitol burned...

The echo chamber has closed the doors and is attempting to lead their sheep away from the proceedings. 5 Americans died in this riot

If this had been Benghazi and Clinton....oh wait we already went through years of drubbings by dishonorable Republicans and Right Wing Media over that.

Meanwhile in the real world. The trial starts with a debate and vote on constitutionality. This should produce tons of fodder for the late night talk show hosts.
What to expect on the first day of Trump's second impeachment trial
The second impeachment trial of former President Trump will kick off later today with a four-hour debate on the constitutionality of the proceeding followed by a vote at a simple majority threshold to affirm the proceedings' constitutionality.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... 3633ee7812

Aesma

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

To stop it no. But didn't he stop the national guard being sent to stop it ? With Pence doing the right thing later on.

bennett123

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-u ... a-55996898

Given that the vote was only 56 44 to have the trial go ahead, it seems pretty clear what the outcome will be.

LNCS0930

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm

bennett123 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-55996898

Given that the vote was only 56 44 to have the trial go ahead, it seems pretty clear what the outcome will be.

Did anyone think otherwise? There was no chance you were getting that many crossovers and there’s no evidence anyway. He never once said go burn stuff down or cause violence either in tweets or via speech. They should just cancel this now and not to forward