Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

John Kerry, Climate Czar’s Private Jet Defense

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 pm

A few weeks back I said it was a mistake for the new WH to anoint John Kerry as climate czar because he makes himself an easy target, and here is a case in point.

Various media are highlighting a comment from him in 2019 in a different capacity when he stated private jet travel is the only way ‘someone like him’ can attend to their duties.

https://news.yahoo.com/kerry-defended-t ... 10846.html

Merely supporting climate activism for years as he has done is not enough to be in this WH position. I said previously in this disinformation age, an effective and popular science communicator would be a far better choice. If Kerry can’t clearly explain why he travels by private jet, how can he sell CAFE regulations or incentives for energy alternatives?

What he should have said here is something like: ‘for people with extreme time constraints, airlines lack the needed schedule flexibility. My wife’s company owns the jet and ensures its modern and efficient engines are maintained to high standards.’
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GalaxyFlyer

Re: John Kerry, Climate Czar’s Private Jet Defense

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Again, when these rich clowns preaching “climate action” actually act like it is a priority for THEM, I’ll believe it’s real. I was on a remote Pacific island and the locals told me about Bill and Melinda showing up in their individual private jets with children in tow. Hello, do you listen to yourselves?

Kerry truly believes NOT ONE WORD of what he’s selling to us. We’re just marks for his grift. If he believes his line, there’s no defense for burning 500G per hour on his own travel. He doesn’t! Feather Merchants all.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Again, when these rich clowns preaching “climate action” actually act like it is a priority for THEM, I’ll believe it’s real. I was on a remote Pacific island and the locals told me about Bill and Melinda showing up in their individual private jets with children in tow. Hello, do you listen to yourselves?

Kerry truly believes NOT ONE WORD of what he’s selling to us. We’re just marks for his grift. If he believes his line, there’s no defense for burning 500G per hour on his own travel. He doesn’t! Feather Merchants all.

Wait...so your belief in scientific matters depends on what rich people’s actions are? :scratchchin:

In any case, Kerry is the topic here not the Gates foundation. The latter have actually put their money where their mouth is on environmental action. Unless you think it’s a negative for African villages to cheaply make clean drinking water from waste?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:21 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What can you expect?, these are the same people telling thousands of people, you are unemployed and you had it coming, go learn to code or to sell solar panels. (see keystone pipeline)

The democrats are all over their heads believing they will never lose another election. Biden/Harris has become so extreme left, they have taken for granted 2022 and 2024. Lets see what happens, but this will bite them back.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

frmrCapCadet

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 am

Typical crap from those who think Democrats with money can't have the same toys as conservatives.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Wait...so your belief in scientific matters depends on what rich people’s actions are? :scratchchin:

In any case, Kerry is the topic here not the Gates foundation. The latter have actually put their money where their mouth is on environmental action. Unless you think it’s a negative for African villages to cheaply make clean drinking water from waste?

It’s not “science”; it’s politics. “Rich” people peddling to us poor folk what we should do need to lead by example. None of them do so, so why I should I listen? Gates is merely paying what the Catholic Church sold as indulgences. Pay for water in African villages, get to live a carbon rich life and still be virtuous, go to heaven.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:27 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What can you expect?, these are the same people telling thousands of people, you are unemployed and you had it coming, go learn to code or to sell solar panels. (see keystone pipeline)

The democrats are all over their heads believing they will never lose another election. Biden/Harris has become so extreme left, they have taken for granted 2022 and 2024. Lets see what happens, but this will bite them back.

Start another thread if you want to talk about Keystone. Happy to debate on that one, because you’re coming at it all wrong.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Typical crap from those who think Democrats with money can't have the same toys as conservatives.

Fine, just so Democrats don’t dictate what kind of car I drive, as they are trying to do with CAFE standards.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:35 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It’s not “science”; it’s politics. “Rich” people peddling to us poor folk what we should do need to lead by example. None of them do so, so why I should I listen? Gates is merely paying what the Catholic Church sold as indulgences. Pay for water in African villages, get to live a carbon rich life and still be virtuous, go to heaven.

You’re the one who said you won’t believe climate stuff is real until rich people start setting the example. That’s not how science works, because it’s about observed data and trends, not belief. The science is clear and the effects known - how much and how soon is the part that can’t be 100% known.

You’re conflating the above with the political dimension of what can or should be done about it. We can’t get anywhere in that discussion with people still focused on whether or not to ‘believe’ the science of it. That’s exactly why we need science communicators in these positions and not politicians like Kerry.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:06 am

Well, better a millionaire with a private jet that actually passes legislation helping the climate crisis than one who does nothing about it...
It may be tone death, but at least he'll likely more than offset his jet set carbon footprint, especially since these laws are likely to make it more expensive for those who release more carbon, including himself.

I agree however that he wasn't the person best suited for the job from a PR perspective, though at the end of the day, it's the results that count.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

FGITD

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:15 am

Greta sails across the ocean...ridiculed for it.

Kerry flies a Private Jet...ridiculed for it.

I’m starting to think some people might just not want to accept the science. Because apparently whoever spreads the message and however they get around will be an issue no matter what.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:19 am

Aaron747 wrote:
That’s exactly why we need science communicators in these positions and not politicians like Kerry.

Well, yes and no. Science communicators are great at conveying a scientifically heavy topics and issues to the general population, but completely useless at bartering deals within a government to get concrete laws passed... Unfortunately, you need a politician for that.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LCDFlight

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 am

It's both science and politics, AND class! "Rich" people will NEVER sacrifice. They will NEVER expose themselves to environmentally friendly living. Nor will they endure a possibility of a crime happening to them. They'll have a guy with a gun ready 24/7.

These political fads do not even involve these rich guys. They are not affected. It's all about controlling YOUR life, what temperature YOU are allowed to heat your own house with gas you buy. So I agree - Kerry doesn't even meet the basic prerequisites to discuss this issue. His words on it mean less than nothing.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:02 am

I fricken love John Kennedy! LOL

Tuna Tar Tar crowd? ROFL :rotfl:

Omg was that a rant!

I will leave it at that. Kerry was a horrible pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2izU-H ... jn9kGTRNSA
Last edited by NIKV69 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:05 am

FGITD wrote:

I’m starting to think some people might just not want to accept the science. Because apparently whoever spreads the message and however they get around will be an issue no matter what.

I’m not sacrificing until they do and they won’t! But, they seem to think they can tell us how to live while having no “skin in the game”; no changes for them.

Somehow, “science” that’s not open to debate, that dissension is met with sanctimonious ridicule isn’t science, it’s a belief not much removed from religion.

emperortk

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:32 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I’m not sacrificing until they do and they won’t! But, they seem to think they can tell us how to live while having no “skin in the game”; no changes for them.

Somehow, “science” that’s not open to debate, that dissension is met with sanctimonious ridicule isn’t science, it’s a belief not much removed from religion.

Are the physics of flight open to debate? If not, then that must be religious belief too instead of ""science."" What about scientists who say that smoking causes lung cancer... are they willing to debate with tobacco companies who used to say otherwise?

Some interpretations of evidence make sense and some don't. Interpretations that run contrary to the accumulated evidence are dismissed. It's not that complicated. Stop pretending that climate science isn't open to debate because you don't like where the evidence points.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:41 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Hmmm, no. Science is always open to scrutiny. If you want to publish a paper contradicting the reality or effects of global climate change and have it peer reviewed, like the thousands of papers which did demonstrate its tangibility and deleterious effects, then by all means go ahead.
Until then, you can chose to believe those thousands of scientists from all over the World, along with the increasingly blaring evidence of their predictions, or you can chose to believe it's all a massive conspiracy destined to prevent you from buying your favorite V8 pickup truck.

Science is not religion. in fact, denying science has been a hallmark of religion for centuries. Climate change deniers are increasingly shunned and ridiculed for the same reason flat-earthers are. It gets to a point where the facts become so irrefutable that the reasoning ability or underlying interests of those who refute them need to be questioned.

seb146

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:55 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I don't know Gates' religion or Kerry's. None of my business. But, what if they are both living their lives now and making and effort now because they want the human race to survive for a couple hundred or couple thousand years and has exactly zero to do with heaven?

Although, it could be argued that we are given a gift from God and throwing plastic and oil and soot and crap in the air and water is an affront to God so why do God loving Republicans want to kill what God gave us to sustain us?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:56 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Omg was that a rant!

John Kennedy is also a hypocrite. He is quite wealthy, finished his education at Oxford, and was both a law professor and a partner in a prestigious firm. He is *quite* familiar with tartare parties, I assure you. That 'rant' was just performance for the freedumb base by a former Dem who switched parties to get the big chair.

FGITD

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I agree with you on that front. I’m all for doing my part, I don’t intentionally try to make things worse, and overall I want the environmental health of the planet to improve. But like so many other things, We’ve been led to believe it’s up to the individual. There are plenty of companies out there that do more damage in a day than entire countries will in a year.

If Kerry or any other politician uses that airplane and is able to help, and create a net positive outcome, then so be it.

Aaron747
Topic Author

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Have you read about / watched / heard the Cliffs' notes on a climatology, meteorology, or ecology conference in the last 15 years? A HS buddy of mine is an ecology professor at UA and when I attended one of his briefings there was *vigorous* debate for a full two hours afterward. It was riveting and fascinating. If you believe science is not open to debate, you're in fantasyland.

Again, you are conflating your emotional reaction with being 'told what to do' with an established set of analytical conclusions that have ruled out most challenges to them on the strength of data. You'd think someone operating machines proven by the trial and error of science would get it, but.....jeepers, guess not.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Omg was that a rant!

John Kennedy is also a hypocrite. He is quite wealthy, finished his education at Oxford, and was both a law professor and a partner in a prestigious firm. He is *quite* familiar with tartare parties, I assure you. That 'rant' was just performance for the freedumb base by a former Dem who switched parties to get the big chair.

Well he flies commercial in coach whenever he travels. I respect that. I won't even fly coach!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:03 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Omg was that a rant!

Well he flies commercial in coach whenever he travels. I respect that. I won't even fly coach!

Nearly all members of Congress fly coach because travel is subject to review by the House and Senate Ethics committees. Duh. They wouldn't if they didn't have to.

Mortyman

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:42 am

FGITD wrote:

Greta was ridiculed for it because parts of the sailboat was made out of a material made from oil.. Oil is used in far more things than most peope realise.

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:22 am

Mortyman wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Greta was ridiculed for it because parts of the sailboat was made out of a material made from oil.. Oil is used in far more things than most peope realise.

I think it was more the fact that additional crew had to be flown across the atlantic to bring the vessel home, that negated any emissions she saved by sailing.

cpd

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:31 am

If you believe in climate change then it means you must basically not live in a house of any sort, have no car, nothing. Or critics will say you aren’t genuine about it. :roll:

Mortyman

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I think it was more the fact that additional crew had to be flown across the atlantic to bring the vessel home, that negated any emissions she saved by sailing.

That too.

Sokes

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:26 am

Reminds me of Gandhi who was against cities and in favour of villages, but used railways and ocean liners to travel.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

bennett123

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am

So if he needed to travel what do you suggest?.

N757ST

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:03 pm

bennett123 wrote:

This travel was in 2019, from the Boston area Icelandair would’ve been a good option. People like him though apparently don’t fly public transportation, they fly on their family gulfstream.

I think people have a point when celebrities, a climate czar, etc try to tell us to reduce our carbon footprint while having carbon footprints hundreds or thousands times more then a normal person.

I actually don’t have any problem with him or his family having a gulfstream or using it, I just think it’s a bit hypocritical when they speak down to the rest of us while not taking basic steps to reduce their own.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:33 pm

N757ST wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

This travel was in 2019, from the Boston area Icelandair would’ve been a good option. People like him though apparently don’t fly public transportation, they fly on their family gulfstream.

As previously stated, people in leadership positions often cram as many obligations into a day/week as they can so airline schedules don't work. BOS-KEF was certainly available, but if he planned to stay only for the ceremony and immediately head somewhere else, leaving the next day on ICE would be out.

N757ST

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

As previously stated, people in leadership positions often cram as many obligations into a day/week as they can so airline schedules don't work. BOS-KEF was certainly available, but if he planned to stay only for the ceremony and immediately head somewhere else, leaving the next day on ICE would be out.

Huh, what leadership position are we talking about? We was a retired law maker. How many retired people have schedules so busy he only had a couple hours and a required a private jet so his busy schedule wasn’t interrupted? Maybe just ship the climate award UPS?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 pm

N757ST wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Huh, what leadership position are we talking about? We was a retired law maker. How many retired people have schedules so busy he only had a couple hours and a required a private jet so his busy schedule wasn’t interrupted? Maybe just ship the climate award UPS?

As a former SecState active on multiple issues represented by a major booker like AAE, it’s logical he was quite busy, particularly in Europe. But yes had this taken place in 2020 I’d agree with UPS.

casinterest

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Just going to put this article here so we all know why the Climate Czar position exists.

https://www.audubon.org/news/climate-cz ... bal-crisis

Since the announcement, the Biden team has shared little information on the Special Envoy’s potential powers and scope. One major indication, however, is the person he’s chosen to fill it: John Kerry. While serving as Secretary of State under President Obama, Kerry was a key negotiator in the Paris Agreement, and he’s expected to lead the new administration’s work to rejoin the climate treaty after Biden’s inauguration on January 20. His diplomatic experience is key, according to the job title: ‘Envoy’ implies senior emissary status, focusing on Kerry’s strengths as an international negotiator.

“I would assume that Kerry is going to be someone that gets dispatched to meet with a lot of foreign leaders to see how we can collaborate with them better, and then nudge them in the direction of greater ambition on climate change,” says Jesse Young, a former senior advisor to the Obama administration’s climate envoy and current climate change policy lead with Oxfam.

Kerry is there to hobnob with the big wigs. Private Jet travel is as much a security issue as a timeliness issue for this position.
The expenses not withstanding, we need deals hammered out. When Jets run fully on green power, we can have an argument over the effectiveness of cost of a private jet vs commercial flights.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
Just going to put this article here so we all know why the Climate Czar position exists.

Since the announcement, the Biden team has shared little information on the Special Envoy’s potential powers and scope. One major indication, however, is the person he’s chosen to fill it: John Kerry. While serving as Secretary of State under President Obama, Kerry was a key negotiator in the Paris Agreement, and he’s expected to lead the new administration’s work to rejoin the climate treaty after Biden’s inauguration on January 20. His diplomatic experience is key, according to the job title: ‘Envoy’ implies senior emissary status, focusing on Kerry’s strengths as an international negotiator.

“I would assume that Kerry is going to be someone that gets dispatched to meet with a lot of foreign leaders to see how we can collaborate with them better, and then nudge them in the direction of greater ambition on climate change,” says Jesse Young, a former senior advisor to the Obama administration’s climate envoy and current climate change policy lead with Oxfam.

Kerry is there to hobnob with the big wigs. Private Jet travel is as much a security issue as a timeliness issue for this position.
The expenses not withstanding, we need deals hammered out. When Jets run fully on green power, we can have an argument over the effectiveness of cost of a private jet vs commercial flights.

Perhaps there needs to be a third position responsible for messaging and public engagement. We're going nowhere in leading the world in solutions if there's still 40-50% of the country thinking and 'believing' like GF.

casinterest

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Perhaps there needs to be a third position responsible for messaging and public engagement. We're going nowhere in leading the world in solutions if there's still 40-50% of the country thinking and 'believing' like GF.

The issue is that we do need people to negotiate over time and distance to get agreements in place to work on solutions. There is a valid argument over security vs cost. But at the end of the day, is it more important to get a solution, or delay the solution ?

GF and others work from a world of outrage. If you are not familiar, spend about 20 minutes a day driving to work or at home watching/listening to right wing media brainwash their audience into blind outrage over items. i usually can't last a full 20 minutes.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Tugger

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:44 pm

I am fine with being wealthy and preaching and supporting climate impact reduction.

And telling people not to fly then going and jumping on a plane to go to your next event to say the same.

Why not?

There are also people that claim "law and order" then support anarchy or those that push for it or that flat out tell lies or promote idiotic theories.

Flying is (currently) the most efficient and fastest method for people to travel the globe. That won't change for a while at least and any from of travel has an impact and requires energy. Impacts will remain not matter what is done. Even "Zoom meetings" consume energy and create a need for server farms and other damaging infrastructure. But nothing can replace the importance and need for human to human contact and therefore transport.

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:47 pm

Tugger wrote:
I am fine with being wealthy and preaching and supporting climate impact reduction.

And telling people not to fly then going and jumping on a plane to go to your next event to say the same.

Why not?

There are also people that claim "law and order" then support anarchy or those that push for it or that flat out tell lies or promote idiotic theories.

Tugg

Wow, can we get a KA-BOOOM! over here for this? :checkmark:

stratosphere

Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:29 pm

casinterest wrote:

And what deals would they be? The Paris Climate Accord? A non binding deal that the two biggest offenders of world pollution namely China and India you know damn well will not abide by. We live in a world together I am all for trying to find better and cleaner solutions but not at our expense only. This climate change agenda is a farce anyway by wealthy liberals to force the rest of us to change our life while they soldier on with their multiple houses cars and jets meanwhile they invest heavily in green technology knowing all along they plan to change the laws to force oil and fossil fuels out. That is about as good an insider trading deal as you can get.

casinterest

Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:52 pm

stratosphere wrote:
casinterest wrote:

And what deals would they be? The Paris Climate Accord? A non binding deal that the two biggest offenders of world pollution namely China and India you know damn well will not abide by. We live in a world together I am all for trying to find better and cleaner solutions but not at our expense only. This climate change agenda is a farce anyway by wealthy liberals to force the rest of us to change our life while they soldier on with their multiple houses cars and jets meanwhile they invest heavily in green technology knowing all along they plan to change the laws to force oil and fossil fuels out. That is about as good an insider trading deal as you can get.

1. Climate Change is real.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021 ... g-climate/

2. Renewable energy is cheaper to produce electricity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_e ... _by_source

The infrastructure that we have built to make fossil fuels a reality still have money due, and that is where the lobbying comes from to fight climate laws.
There will be gas and oil needs for a long time, but as Tesla and a Trip to the lawn maintenance department at a local store show, Electricity is taking over as a power source.
This is going to have some dire implications for many coal and oil producing sites and countries.

So the Paris accords are non binding, but they are something to work towards because batteries, panels, and wind mills are where the money for the future is at.

cpd

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:18 pm

stratosphere wrote:
casinterest wrote:

So how about conservatives who aren’t super wealthy with their multiple houses (using tax rorts) and multiple cars?

We cannot keep going the same old way. Energy production has to change and governments can help workers transition into new energy industries. They should also be helping home owners to make their homes more energy efficient - saving money.

I’m not super wealthy but I put in solar power many years ago. I’ll do batteries soon. It saves money.

I also don’t fly very often (last time 2019) and very few times before that.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
casinterest wrote:

The infrastructure that we have built to make fossil fuels a reality still have money due, and that is where the lobbying comes from to fight climate laws.
There will be gas and oil needs for a long time, but as Tesla and a Trip to the lawn maintenance department at a local store show, Electricity is taking over as a power source.
This is going to have some dire implications for many coal and oil producing sites and countries.

So the Paris accords are non binding, but they are something to work towards because batteries, panels, and wind mills are where the money for the future is at.

If it’s cheaper to produce, how come the nations who have gone furthest into renewables have the highest prices for electricity, I’m looking at you Australia and Germany?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

If it’s cheaper to produce, how come the nations who have gone furthest into renewables have the highest prices for electricity, I’m looking at you Australia and Germany?

Both countries have partially funded the costs of transition by giving incentives to high volume commercial users at the expense of private households.

cpd

Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:04 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

We had the problem of “gold plated” grid infrastructure improvements by our private energy companies:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bus ... 017-10/amp

So everyone got fed up with it and installed their own solar power systems as a single digit salute to the energy suppliers. People were putting in huge systems and now with batteries so they use very little power from the grid.

The energy companies are still crying. Too bad for them.

Household solar power uptake is huge, even among ordinary families. Don’t believe me? I’ll go out for a walk and take photos of the hefty solar installations on the rooftops of ordinary houses in my lower middle class neighbourhood.

casinterest

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:24 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

?? This doesn't matter. You are comparing past costs to current costs for installation, and mixing up grid vs home production. I have neighbors that have installed Solar panels with grid connection that have a mathematic payback of at most 12 years.

stratosphere

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 pm

So you're all so concerned about global warming . Turns out the planet got even hotter with everyone parking their cars during this pandemic.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/environm ... 42393.html

casinterest

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:22 pm

stratosphere wrote:
So you're all so concerned about global warming . Turns out the planet got even hotter with everyone parking their cars during this pandemic.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/environm ... 42393.html

DYRTA?
This temporary warming effect from fewer particles was stronger in 2020 than the effect of reduced heat-trapping carbon dioxide emissions, Gettelman said. That’s because carbon stays in the atmosphere for more than a century with long-term effects, while aerosols remain in the air about a wee

.05 degrees ? This also is well within the margin of error for what would be expected just for CO emissions, and still does not refute global warming assertions.

BarfBag

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:05 am

stratosphere wrote:

Deutsche Welle: India only G20 nation doing its 'fair share' to meet 2 degree goal (Sept 2020)
Climate Transparency Report 2020
Page 23:
India: 2°C compatible
USA: Critically insufficient
UK: Insufficient
EU: Insufficient
France: Imsufficient
Germany: Insufficient
Australia: Insufficient
Japan: Highly insufficient

You're factually way off the mark - India is the only country actually keeping up with its commitments right now. Stop dragging us into your petty domestic squabbles.

cpd

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:01 am

BarfBag wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Deutsche Welle: India only G20 nation doing its 'fair share' to meet 2 degree goal (Sept 2020)
Climate Transparency Report 2020
Page 23:
India: 2°C compatible
USA: Critically insufficient
UK: Insufficient
EU: Insufficient
France: Imsufficient
Germany: Insufficient
Australia: Insufficient
Japan: Highly insufficient

You're factually way off the mark - India is the only country actually keeping up with its commitments right now. Stop dragging us into your petty domestic squabbles.

The Australian government is famous for wriggling its way out of such commitments. Individuals and some companies are doing things on their own. We are seeing clean energy appearing (like big solar/battery installations) happening without any prompting from government.

That’s actually good because it means government cannot stop it.

It’s not enough and we have to do more.