Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Snow Across Britain

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:59 am

Snow and high winds are currently taking place across Britain, including London and power disruptions are expected with rail service being disrupted. Vaccination centers across some areas of Britain are being shut down due to the snow. It is a very crazy event taking place and it will be interesting to see if COVID-19 cases go back up due to this storm sending people inside and ventilation systems (particularly in apartment buildings) increasing the risk of the spread of COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... k-55968889

TSS

Re: Snow Across Britain

Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 am

Of course Brits please feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen private residences in the UK, whether individual buildings or apartments/flats, tend to be heated by radiators rather than by forced air ventilation systems.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BlueberryWheats

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 am

TSS wrote:
Of course Brits please feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen private residences in the UK, whether individual buildings or apartments/flats, tend to be heated by radiators rather than by forced air ventilation systems.

For the most part that is correct. Most houses have a gas boiler heating radiators around the house. There will of course be some exceptions, some older houses may nor have a central heating system.

And for what it's worth, in my part of Lancashire we've had on and off snow for weeks now, this isn't the Day After Tomorrow event its being made out to be.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

marcelh

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:16 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Snow and high winds are currently taking place across Britain, including London and power disruptions are expected with rail service being disrupted. Vaccination centers across some areas of Britain are being shut down due to the snow. It is a very crazy event taking place and it will be interesting to see if COVID-19 cases go back up due to this storm sending people inside and ventilation systems (particularly in apartment buildings) increasing the risk of the spread of COVID-19.

Come on, it's just a snow storm, not Armageddon

Reinhardt

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 am

Not just Britain, here over in Northern, Eastern Germany we have a lot of snow and very cold weather (-15 over night, currently -9). No bus or tram service in the city, long distance trains cancelled, some small villages cut off. But hey, you know... it is winter.

readytotaxi

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am

And the Netherlands had a first major snowstorm in decade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55970665
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

noviorbis77

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:48 pm

First bit of snow in the UK, everything grinds to a halt. Roads, trains.

We are not so good with it.

Dutchy

Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 am

noviorbis77 wrote:

Neither is the Netherlands, a bit of snow and trains stopped running and the government urged everyone to stay home.

Quite tragic though, there was a chance to have a long speed skating race, 200km, but due to Covid, it has been canceled in advange. It has only been organized 15 times in the past 100plus years, so it is something special if it is.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Arion640

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:02 am

noviorbis77 wrote:

Spain didn’t do too well with it either. TBH we’re not set up for it, we have heavy snow about once for year but it seems to be health and safety holding us back.

Kiwirob

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Here in Norway life goes on as usual, it's only snow.

scbriml

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:03 pm

This snow isn't anywhere as near as bad as it was the winter of 2009/10 when literally the entire UK was covered in a pretty good blanket of snow.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/08/ ... d-by-snow/

That was the worst snow I can remember country-wide apart from one other time in my life. We had a very harsh winter with lots of snow back in 1963, which was a lot of fun when you're 6yo!

Of course most of the UK can't cope with snow, we very rarely see it. In the SE corner, we might see a dusting of snow two or three times a year at worst, some years none at all - this is our third winter in our new house and it's the first snow we've seen. Really heavy snow falls are very rare.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Arion640

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:11 pm

scbriml wrote:
This snow isn't anywhere as near as bad as it was the winter of 2009/10 when literally the entire UK was covered in a pretty good blanket of snow.

That was the worst snow I can remember country-wide apart from one other time in my life. We had a very harsh winter with lots of snow back in 1963, which was a lot of fun when you're 6yo!

Of course most of the UK can't cope with snow, we very rarely see it. In the SE corner, we might see a dusting of snow two or three times a year at worst, some years none at all - this is our third winter in our new house and it's the first snow we've seen. Really heavy snow falls are very rare.

The beast from the east was the worse snow i’d seen. Whole roads blocked with snow 8ft high.

Inland in Wales, we tend to see snow at winter time.

arcticcruiser

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:41 pm

Oh, the horror! Snow in winter... so far the least amount of snow in decades in my neck of the woods. Actually a very dry winter. But cold. Not bad at all.

noviorbis77

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:47 pm

scbriml wrote:

I liked that snow storm.

Flying back from Islamabad to Heathrow they substituted the usual 777 for a 743.

Great fun. Old school business class and an aircraft that took forever to get off the ground.

Arion640

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:23 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Oh, the horror! Snow in winter... so far the least amount of snow in decades in my neck of the woods. Actually a very dry winter. But cold. Not bad at all.

Most of Scotland, Wales and high ground in England gets snowy at winter time but unless London has snow it doesn’t really get reported.

THS214

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Long time ago I drove taxi in Helsinki and once from the airport I had a Finnish woman and a British man. It was winter and snow and ice. That man was afraid when I drove normally. He asked me to slow down. Told him that it would be dangerous as no-one would expect me to slow down when the weather was normal to us. That woman was laughing.

Aesma

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:28 pm

There was snow here in France too. In fact it's still there in shaded places, so at the front of my house for example.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

astuteman

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:09 pm

marcelh wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Come on, it's just a snow storm, not Armageddon

Yeah, but it's London and the South-east, so now it's newsworthy.....
Despite the fact Northern UK has been seeing this for weeks...

Arion640 wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:

Most of Scotland, Wales and high ground in England gets snowy at winter time but unless London has snow it doesn’t really get reported.

Word!

I don't think most people realise just how visible the north-south divide is until they move up here .....

Rgds

BlueberryWheats

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 pm

astuteman wrote:
I don't think most people realise just how visible the north-south divide is until they move up here .....
Rgds

True. I grew up in Kent and since moving to Lancashire I can see such a huge divide.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

b4thefall

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:49 pm

scbriml wrote:

Yes, I remember that winter well. I live in a coastal town in N.Ireland, and it very very rarely snows here, but that winter was something else! It was also my one and only experience of "thunder snow".

I didn't even know it existed until I saw it. I stood in the back garden and watched it with astonishment. For the brief seconds of lightning, every single snowflake in the sky was visible. Absolutely amazing. It's the joint top natural phenomena I have personally witnessed, along with a wonderful display of the northern lights that I was lucky enough to see when I visited Iceland.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:13 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

That looks more like a thin layer of powder. ;)

This was what it looked like northern Sweden about 1½-2 weeks ago. https://youtu.be/lt3zgns6cEc?t=169
The roads in question: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/946+40+ ... 411993!3e0
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente