Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Classa64

Re: User's rides

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 am

Winter beater right now, 2006 Civic DX 4dr sedan with 385,000km on the odometer .. My summer car is a1987 Integra LS 2dr hatch with 95,000 .. Wife's All year car, 2013 Civic Coupe EX with 205,000, all 5spd manual transmissions. All are bullet proof cars so far, other than regular maintenance.
Love some of the rides posted :thumbsup:

melpax

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Is the annoying clonk from the RH rear suspension still a feature? I've pulled over more than once in hire cars worried something was broken.

Diff bushes were probably on their way out, one of the few weak point with these cars

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:22 am

Sokes wrote:
Maruti Omni

"Powering the Maruti Omni has been a 0.8-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine. This engine churns out [email protected] and [email protected] and comes mated to a 4-speed manual transmission."
https://www.outlookindia.com/website/st ... ued/328601

8 seats with around 800 kg OEW, who can beat that? And it's not even high tech. The engine is cast iron, not cast aluminum.

It has a leaf spring behind. That means the car starts shaking at 70 km/ h. But with 40 km/ h over a potholed road it's good fun. I love this car. My wife gets dizzy in cars with spring suspension all round. But she is o.k. in this car.

Normally cars are supposed to have two break circuits. Front left and rear right is one, front right and rear left is the other. This car has only one circuit. For this and some other safety reasons it was discontinued recently. Laws are improving.

I paid new 4300 Euro or so. Some buttons and stuff spoil from time to time. They cost below 1 $, but require attention. I guess in rich countries it's preferred to pay five times the price for triple the life. Who wants to attend to something like this?
But this car was for bakers, taxi drivers and others that want utility at low price. Obviously today's taxis are different.

It has good lights and good disc breaks in front. It had to be discontinued as there are more and more fast cars.

I removed one bench and have good loading area.

Isn't there an age limit on private cars in India, 10 years and then scrapped?

Sokes

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:28 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Sokes wrote:
Maruti Omni

"Powering the Maruti Omni has been a 0.8-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine. This engine churns out [email protected] and [email protected] and comes mated to a 4-speed manual transmission."

8 seats with around 800 kg OEW, who can beat that? And it's not even high tech. The engine is cast iron, not cast aluminum.

It has a leaf spring behind. That means the car starts shaking at 70 km/ h. But with 40 km/ h over a potholed road it's good fun. I love this car. My wife gets dizzy in cars with spring suspension all round. But she is o.k. in this car.

Normally cars are supposed to have two break circuits. Front left and rear right is one, front right and rear left is the other. This car has only one circuit. For this and some other safety reasons it was discontinued recently. Laws are improving.

I paid new 4300 Euro or so. Some buttons and stuff spoil from time to time. They cost below 1 $, but require attention. I guess in rich countries it's preferred to pay five times the price for triple the life. Who wants to attend to something like this?
But this car was for bakers, taxi drivers and others that want utility at low price. Obviously today's taxis are different.

It has good lights and good disc breaks in front. It had to be discontinued as there are more and more fast cars.

Because of pollution only for Delhi:
Max 10 year old Diesel, 15 year old petrol vehicle
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 727515.cms

What makes you think my car is 10 years old?

cjg225

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Sokes wrote:

Because it looks like it's from the 70s?

Sokes

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:11 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Sokes wrote:

Because it looks like it's from the 70s?

Well, I'm from the seventies. What's wrong with that?

petertenthije

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Sokes wrote:
Well, I'm from the seventies. What's wrong with that?

It's just quite rare for cars to still be in production, virtually unchanged, for that long. Usually only cars with specific niches will stay around this long. For instance the Land Rover Defender, the Mercedes G class or the UAZ Bukhanka.

Usually, the basic car design is retired after around 10 to 15 years. And during that time the car will often get one or two mayor and several minor facelifts to hide the age to the consumer.

Your car looks pretty much unchanged from its original 1970s design. Nothing wrong with that, it's quite characterful actually, just a bit surprising.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Sokes wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Sokes wrote:
Maruti Omni

Because of pollution only for Delhi:
Max 10 year old Diesel, 15 year old petrol vehicle
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 727515.cms

It's a forward control deathtrap, I haven't seen anything like that for a very long time. Almost all the vans sold nowadays have front mounted engines.

casinterest

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 pm

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:31 pm

casinterest wrote:

I love how Honda keeps it trendy and not frumpy

WildcatYXU

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Whatever National has for me. A 2020 Malibu since Feb. 8. In January it was a 2021 Explorer. I own a 2012 Frontier, but I almost never drive it.

flipdewaf

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:33 pm

Got a few going as always, a kia Rio for not costing anything, Mini Cooper for wifey to drive, Mitsubishi L200 to actually get stuff done (a pickup without mud on it and shiny wheels is as much a posers car as a Porsche boxster) and the pride of place goes to the Zetor 7340, it might only top out at 25MPH but I guarantee it will beat anything mentioned so far in a drag race...

Fred

Sokes

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:16 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
It's a forward control deathtrap, I haven't seen anything like that for a very long time. Almost all the vans sold nowadays have front mounted engines.

That's indeed the problem. And that's why it was discontinued. In curves I go from the gas to slow down, just in case an idiot overtakes without visibility. I also always have my light on.

There is one more van which is safer. But it is also seven cm broader. When cows are sitting on the road or somebody parks his car (or even bike) in an unfortunate place, these seven cm often matter. I can't understand how one likes to buy a broad car in India.

Even more important: that other van has spring suspension all round, not good for my wife.
That other van is really an eight seater. If I remove the rear bench there is a step in the loading area. I need the van for the loading area, not for the seats.

On the other side one settles naturally at 60-70 km/ h. It simply feels shaky above that speed because of the rear suspension.
I observed with scooter that 60 km/ h is a quite save speed. Already at 70 km/ h the dangerous situations increase extreme in frequency. That phenomenon isn't that extreme with cars, but it does exist.
This car therefore has comparatively few accidents.
I know a guy with the same car who drives maximum 50 km/ h.
But I also knew one taxi driver who died in that car.

EstherLouise

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm

2019 Ford Escape Titanium. Spec'ed by me and leased. Every option except a sunroof. Even ordered it with a factory-installed engine block heater and Class II receiver hitch. The 2.0 liter turbocharged engine goes like hell.

T18

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm

2015 VW Jetta 2L with a 5 speed stick. Looking to replace it with something that has a better power to weight, perhaps a GTI or Civic SI, comes down to what I can find and what color they will sell it in.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 pm

T18 wrote:
2015 VW Jetta 2L with a 5 speed stick. Looking to replace it with something that has a better power to weight, perhaps a GTI or Civic SI, comes down to what I can find and what color they will sell it in.

Isn't the Civic a little light? I would think the GTI would be beefier.

T18

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
T18 wrote:

Isn't the Civic a little light? I would think the GTI would be beefier.

I'd prefer the lower weight in fact, essp given the Civics are at 205 hp vs the GTI at 228 and the 200-300lbs weight difference does well to offset that. Color for the GTI does seem to also be an issue as they keep moving what trim gets any shade of Blue. Not to mention it can be hard to find one with three pedals. I do wish they would just sell a Jetta GLI in blue, because aside from the lack of power and slightly floaty ride of my Jetta, I love everything else about it.

chimborazo

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:55 pm

The Alfa is beautiful but out of my range- company car driver. Years ago had a 156 GTA with a few extras. That was a great car.

I have a 2016 Golf GTD with DSG in Oryx white. Looks great and is a lot of car for the money. Never going back to a stick. Only done 39K miles as it spent a lot of time at airport car park and for last year mostly sits on the drive.

For tax purposes I’ve finally chosen a BMW PHEV due April - it’s less than half the monthly tax of the golf despite having the 2.0L petrol engine and RRP over £18K more.

330e MSport Pro XDrive in Oxide Grey with the black wheels and a Comfort Plus pack. Rather excited about this. Have screwed up by not ordering the advanced cruise control- that’s fabulous on the Golf. Comes to a complete stop following traffic and just takes a touch of the accelerator to start off again.

Also have 2006 Honda Fireblade that’s only done about 800 miles in last 7 years. Keeping it more for the nostalgia than any interest in riding.

Edited to add:

Was trying to secure an e-Mustang. Would only go for the extended range (standard listed as 270 miles) to make it a reasonable prospect but it was 10k more than the standard. That’s an insane amount of money for a basically identical car with another 100 miles range. And it pushed it over monthly budget. It’s quite a good looking car and the tax is zero this year and ten quid a month next year.

NWAESC

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 pm

2007 Subaru Outback.

I know what the ladies like.

ACDC8

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 am

T18 wrote:

I'm assuming the 2.Slow and not the 2.0 TSI?

T18 wrote:
I'd prefer the lower weight in fact, essp given the Civics are at 205 hp vs the GTI at 228 and the 200-300lbs weight difference does well to offset that. Color for the GTI does seem to also be an issue as they keep moving what trim gets any shade of Blue. Not to mention it can be hard to find one with three pedals. I do wish they would just sell a Jetta GLI in blue, because aside from the lack of power and slightly floaty ride of my Jetta, I love everything else about it.

Iron Blue Metallic really suits the GTI, hoping they bring it back for the Mk8s. Lots of 3 pedals to choose from still in Canada, including the Iron Blue and Cornfield Blue. Only one trim level available for the remaining Mk7s though. With the 240hp available with the new Gen 4 EA888, might be worth the wait, if you can deal without having anymore physical knobs/buttons.

T18

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:43 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
T18 wrote:

I'm assuming the 2.Slow and not the 2.0 TSI?

T18 wrote:

Iron Blue Metallic really suits the GTI, hoping they bring it back for the Mk8s. Lots of 3 pedals to choose from still in Canada, including the Iron Blue and Cornfield Blue. Only one trim level available for the remaining Mk7s though. With the 240hp available with the new Gen 4 EA888, might be worth the wait, if you can deal without having anymore physical knobs/buttons.

Yep the 2.slow lol. I think I like the Cornflower blue but sadly state side looks to only be on the SE trim which really jumps that msrp right up there, it also seems like the dealers around here only get 3 pedals on the boring colors. However it seems like our Honda dealers have 3 pedal Civic Sports and SIs in blue often and at very good prices too. I'm very torn as my last car was a 08 Civic EX which i kinda miss as it had better power and less bulk than the jetta but being 7 years older didn't have the same equipment.

casinterest

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I didn't realize how much I liked the new design until I saw a 2009 model next to it.

If the car is near as reliable as my first Honda Civic, I will be driving it for 17-18 years.

LCDFlight

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:24 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
I'm driving a 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio in bianco trofeo (pearl white) with the classic dark 5-hole wheels.

Very nice. I have the extremely poor man's version of this, an 06 Saab 9-3 manual sedan with the 4 cyl. It will hustle okay, but nothing like your car.

Also have a 99 Range Rover that is pretty clean and nice. Almost got an 81 Porsche 928 off craigslist. I am CHEAP.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:34 pm

casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I didn't realize how much I liked the new design until I saw a 2009 model next to it.

If the car is near as reliable as my first Honda Civic, I will be driving it for 17-18 years.

Civics with a manual trans are indestructible. Nothing comes close.

M564038

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Had a Civic with manual transmission.
I, like you, thought it was THE indestructible, everlasting car.
One of my current cars is a Hyundai Ioniq EV.

At least the same build quality but 1/100 the moving parts.
I’m sure it can last for 100years if I replace the 12V battery every few years.

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Civics with a manual trans are indestructible. Nothing comes close.

cpd

Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
The last time we did this I had a 2013 Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDi and a 2014 Audi A1 1.4 TFSi, we still have the A1, in 2018 I traded the A6 for a 2018 A6 Avant quattro 2.0TDi.

Got to give Audi credit they have come a long way in the 90s their stuff was complete Rubbish but now they are some cars!

Here's what she looked like nice and clean the day before I picked her up

and a more recent.

It's an excellent car, sadly I think it will be my last conventionally powered vehicle, I'm going to drive her for a long time, or until someone can sell me a BEV with a genuine 1000km winter range.

I had a 3.0L TDI Quattro avant version in France a few years ago - same model year, Munich registered. It was such a solid car. Built like a bank vault. No touch screen however was infuriating. One of our group was told to enter his hotel address in the satnav, then started tapping the circular array of letters on the screen and wondered why nothing happened...

No, at that time in the Audi world, touch screen hadn’t been discovered yet!) Very funny. :)

The car was superb and took masses of stuff with ease. It was always quite hard driven and heavily loaded as is usual for a support car but it did everything without complaint.

Zeppi

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:00 am

M564038 wrote:

Amazing car isn't it? We got one last year to replace our first gen Zoe, and the difference is just mind boggling. Build quality to match BMW (Tesla, go have a look xD), nice looks, very comfy and most important of all: It's so damn efficient! While a lot bigger than Zoe it actually consumes less, I regularly manage to drive it below 10kWh/100km when it's not too cold.

My long range ride for the Autobahn is still my beloved 2008 BMW 7 Series long version with a "few" enhancements :hyper:

- Brand new BMW M67D44 4.4 litre V8 twin turbo diesel engine fitted in 2018
- AGR reduction to 10VOL%
- Turbocharger pressure adaption to 450HP, 1000Nm torque
- New ZF 6HP32Z gearbox with software matching the engine output
- Ceramic brakes all round
- Adaptive drive pneumatic suspension

Drives 1000km at 200km/h and still has fuel in the tank after doing so. Top speed is at 305km/h hitting the rev limiter at 4000rpm, it could rev to 4500rpm but there's just no need.
I'm keeping it in mint condition, it will never be sold.

tomaheath

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 am

B717fan wrote:
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0 inline six and Selec-trac transfer case. 160,000 miles and it still drives like a dream. The cloth interior looks like it came out of the factory.
This is her up on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado.

I’m not a mopar person but those 4 litters are awesome engines.

tomaheath

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 am

1969 Buick Wildcat
1983 Chevy K20
1998 Chevy K1500
2006 Chevy K1500

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:43 am

Zeppi wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Amazing car isn't it? We got one last year to replace our first gen Zoe, and the difference is just mind boggling. Build quality to match BMW (Tesla, go have a look xD), nice looks, very comfy and most important of all: It's so damn efficient! While a lot bigger than Zoe it actually consumes less, I regularly manage to drive it below 10kWh/100km when it's not too cold.

My long range ride for the Autobahn is still my beloved 2008 BMW 7 Series long version with a "few" enhancements :hyper:

- Brand new BMW M67D44 4.4 litre V8 twin turbo diesel engine fitted in 2018
- AGR reduction to 10VOL%
- Turbocharger pressure adaption to 450HP, 1000Nm torque
- New ZF 6HP32Z gearbox with software matching the engine output
- Ceramic brakes all round
- Adaptive drive pneumatic suspension

Drives 1000km at 200km/h and still has fuel in the tank after doing so. Top speed is at 305km/h hitting the rev limiter at 4000rpm, it could rev to 4500rpm but there's just no need.
I'm keeping it in mint condition, it will never be sold.

Nice whip!!!!

DL_Mech

Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:41 am

tomaheath wrote:
I’m not a mopar person but those 4 litters are awesome engines.

Maybe you’re just an AMC fan. Those engines can run with a rod sticking out of the block.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine

Pellegrine

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 pm

My DC rides:
2004 GMC Yukon Denali
2020 Range Rover LWB Autobiography
2007 Benz SL65 AMG
2006 Benz CL65 AMG
1998 Ferrari F355 GTS F1

Usually drive or get driven in the Range; I haul art with the Denali.

zippyjet

Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 pm

Knock on wood/Thank God, my 2020 Toyota Corolla SX (6 speed stick) is living up to Toyota quality and fun to drive. Personally, I'm not a fan or follower of the SUV/Crossover fad in the States. Back many years I had an 86 Toyota (Front Drive) Celica GT Coupe 5 Speed. Its a shame they dropped the Celica. Though Front Drive, was a fun to drive car. So is my 2020 Corolla. I'm one of the few, the proud stick shift drivers in the USA! Though a sedan, if Toyota made a front drive Celica ST, this would be the closest in driveability.

jetwet1

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am

M564038 wrote:

My wife, who is in no way, shape or form a car person is losing her mind over the Ioniq 5, there is something about the exterior that is calling to me as well, it's reminding me of a car from my youth, but I can't put a finger on it.