Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:06 pm

In the West I don't think it will be about survival, which is why we don't do enough. More and more of our time and money will simply go towards mitigating the effects of climate change.

When much less time and money could have been spent now to get better results.

In poor countries, that's another story. But clearly, one thing politicians there should do is a one child policy...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

luckyone

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but I run the risk of sounding like one. If my memory serves me correctly, at some point in the recent past when power plants unexpectedly were going down in times of peak demand, there was an energy conglomerate behind it — anyone remember Enron?

seb146

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:32 pm

luckyone wrote:
Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but I run the risk of sounding like one. If my memory serves me correctly, at some point in the recent past when power plants unexpectedly were going down in times of peak demand, there was an energy conglomerate behind it — anyone remember Enron?

Enron was about corporate greed IIRC and not poorly maintained and aging infrastructure.

PG&E in Northern California as well as Pacific Power in PNW recognize when surges in power use will happen and tell customers to reduce usage as a precaution. They don't let the grid fail then blame a program that has not been started.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:06 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NASA is landing electric helicopters on the Martian surface on the daily. Texans can't run AC when the it's over 90 degrees. Let that sink in. Maybe engineers need to run the government and utilities for awhile.

"That's because scientists run NASA and republicans run Texas"
I don't take responsibility at all

luckyone

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Enron was about corporate greed IIRC and not poorly maintained and aging infrastructure.

PG&E in Northern California as well as Pacific Power in PNW recognize when surges in power use will happen and tell customers to reduce usage as a precaution. They don't let the grid fail then blame a program that has not been started.

Enron traders also had plants shut down unexpectedly.

seb146

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Enron traders also had plants shut down unexpectedly.

Not so much

https://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/03/enron.tapes/
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ron.usnews

I imagine SOME plants in Texas shut because of what we are seeing now. But California? I doubt it.

seb146

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NASA is landing electric helicopters on the Martian surface on the daily. Texans can't run AC when the it's over 90 degrees. Let that sink in. Maybe engineers need to run the government and utilities for awhile.

"That's because scientists run NASA and republicans run Texas"

Lock the thread. We have a winner.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:52 am

Threat of more blackouts may erode reliability claims for fossil energy

Amid soaring temps, Texas’ grid operator said unexpected shutdowns at power plants had stressed the system. Nearly 80% were “thermal” generators (mostly natural gas-fueled in Texas) and not renewable sources.

Now, in a study published earlier this month, a team of energy authorities including four at the University of Texas affirms those early assessments by Cohan and others, declaring that problems with natural gas systems, not renewables, were indeed the “primary culprit” in the February crisis.

The new study, “Cascading risks: Understanding the 2021 winter blackout in Texas,” reports that all major fuel sources except solar failed to meet ERCOT’s expectations during the February freeze, but natural gas was “responsible for nearly two-thirds of the total (electricity) deficit.”

https://texasclimatenews.org/threat-of- ... il-energy/

NBC 5 Investigates: Why ERCOT's Winter Forecasting Miss May Spell Summer Trouble

An NBC 5 investigation shows how ERCOT severely underestimated the amount of electricity Texans would need if the weather got bad this winter, and why some experts fear that big miss raises deeper questions about ERCOT’s forecasting methods and the risk of power outages this summer.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/n ... e/2664305/
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:48 pm

Counter intuitive, but people living in hot air conditioned country and with a poor grid should add another air conditioner. Shut off the big one, and keep one room cool during periods when the grid is challenged. Seatttle/Portland area is facing what could be the worst heat dome ever, and most homes do not have AC. It will be interesting to see what the longer term response is. My guess is a lot of home will be updated, and with those split ductless models, which are heat pumps, heat and AC and a move away from FFs. I haven't seen any alerts that the grid will be challenged. The governor of Texas needs to put his nerd cap on, and quit spouting. The infrastructure improvements aren't sexy and kind of expensive. Just do it.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

wingman

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Marginally off topic but I'm seriously considering some back up for the house in Portland, obviously late for the coming weekend of hell but wondering what the forum thinks of the options:

$1500 7500W dual fuel to plug into an existing transfer switch (cheapest but only runs 6 circuits and no A/C), no electric work needed and feeling silly I never made the move.

$10,000 gets us the whole house auto transfer plumbed into the NG line - about $5500 for a 24000W Generac and then another $4500 in electric, gas work and permits

$30,000??? solar job with a double Tesla Power Wall - haven't really looked into this given the upfront layout but the rebates do pay back some of the expense.

I'm not sure I really trust the batteries quite yet and the cost is plenty rich for my budget. I'm thinking tip toe with the first option and then wait a couple of years to choose between the Generac or the Power Wall..what say ye?

luckyone

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 pm

wingman wrote:
Marginally off topic but I'm seriously considering some back up for the house in Portland, obviously late for the coming weekend of hell but wondering what the forum thinks of the options:

$1500 7500W dual fuel to plug into an existing transfer switch (cheapest but only runs 6 circuits and no A/C), no electric work needed and feeling silly I never made the move.

$10,000 gets us the whole house auto transfer plumbed into the NG line - about $5500 for a 24000W Generac and then another $4500 in electric, gas work and permits

$30,000??? solar job with a double Tesla Power Wall - haven't really looked into this given the upfront layout but the rebates do pay back some of the expense.

I'm not sure I really trust the batteries quite yet and the cost is plenty rich for my budget. I'm thinking tip toe with the first option and then wait a couple of years to choose between the Generac or the Power Wall..what say ye?

I had a portable in my condo in Seattle. The reality is you only need it 2-3 weeks out of the year. Growing up in the South you endure conditions where even AC stops being effective, and you learn a few tricks--because my parents and grandparents grew up without it and they lived. Last year in Seattle we had a heat wave, quickly followed by smoke that didn't move for a week. I took dark sheets and towels, double folded the sheets and hung them over the windows to block sunlight. Between that, a few fans, and the portable AC we were fine.

tommy1808

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:06 pm

luckyone wrote:
wingman wrote:

I had a portable in my condo in Seattle. The reality is you only need it 2-3 weeks out of the year. Growing up in the South you endure conditions where even AC stops being effective, and you learn a few tricks--because my parents and grandparents grew up without it and they lived. Last year in Seattle we had a heat wave, quickly followed by smoke that didn't move for a week. I took dark sheets and towels, double folded the sheets and hung them over the windows to block sunlight. Between that, a few fans, and the portable AC we were fine.

Mylar rescue blankets are perfect to keep heat out. They stick to a wet window when applied, light still gets in, you can still look outside, which is also where the heat stays.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

luckyone

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
wingman wrote:

Mylar rescue blankets are perfect to keep heat out. They stick to a wet window when applied, light still gets in, you can still look outside, which is also where the heat stays.

Best regards
Thomas

Good to know!!!

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 pm

It is too late for this weekend, but every residence should have one room that is air conditioned. Even better a split unit. Thus far we are lucky in the Pacific NW and it appears the grid will deliver.

Res more extreme backups. If you can have room for a 6000 watt generator it will back up essential home services, summer heat and winter storms, so long as you have a NG or propane back up fireplace/heating stove. We did this when we lived in the country. Now in an urban higher rise condo, we are at the mercy of the grid.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pm

CA said rolling blackouts could happen because they might be able to borrow enough electricity from neighboring states due to the heat wave causing those states to keep their electricity to themselves.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... s-n1268879
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kent350787

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:18 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
CA said rolling blackouts could happen because they might be able to borrow enough electricity from neighboring states due to the heat wave causing those states to keep their electricity to themselves.

Do you have a source that supports your statement about the grid outside CA?

Given the sunshine, you've think rooftop PV generation and big batteries were an obvious solution to any supply issues.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:24 am

Kent350787 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Do you have a source that supports your statement about the grid outside CA?

Given the sunshine, you've think rooftop PV generation and big batteries were an obvious solution to any supply issues.

I found the article:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/ ... 34288.html

DIRECTFLT

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:09 am

Gov. Greg Abbott tells electricity regulators to encourage building more power plants, penalize renewable energy

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/06 ... eg-abbott/

Two days before state lawmakers return to Austin for a special legislative session, Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday gave state electricity regulators marching orders to “improve electric reliability.”

In a letter to the Public Utility Commission, Abbott directed the three-person board of directors, who he appoints, to take action that would require renewable energy companies to pay for power when wind and solar aren’t able to provide it to the state’s main power grid, echoing a move state lawmakers rejected in May.

Abbott also told the PUC to incentivize companies to build and maintain nuclear, natural gas and coal power generation for the grid — which failed spectacularly during a February winter storm, leaving millions of Texans without power or heat for days in below freezing temperatures.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/statu ... 61472?s=20

casinterest

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:44 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Gov. Greg Abbott tells electricity regulators to encourage building more power plants, penalize renewable energy

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/06 ... eg-abbott/

Two days before state lawmakers return to Austin for a special legislative session, Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday gave state electricity regulators marching orders to “improve electric reliability.”

In a letter to the Public Utility Commission, Abbott directed the three-person board of directors, who he appoints, to take action that would require renewable energy companies to pay for power when wind and solar aren’t able to provide it to the state’s main power grid, echoing a move state lawmakers rejected in May.

Abbott also told the PUC to incentivize companies to build and maintain nuclear, natural gas and coal power generation for the grid — which failed spectacularly during a February winter storm, leaving millions of Texans without power or heat for days in below freezing temperatures.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/statu ... 61472?s=20

Just more proof that Texas likes to elect political liars rather than leaders.

From the article.

“It’s more of a political job favoring some [energy] sources over others. For Texans to have a more reliable power supply, we need clearer thinking that makes the best of all the sources we have.”
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain