Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
PHLspecial
Topic Author
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Texas governor Greg Abbott blames wind frozen wind turbines for power outages.

Roughly the state of Texas is powered mostly by Natural Gas (80% of the state), wind turbines( 5-10%)

Sources of numbers:
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-governor-b ... 29586.html
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16 ... es-frozen/

Will people believe this? I find it very hard to believe that wind turbines are the single source of failure.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:04 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Will people believe this? I find it very hard to believe that wind turbines are the single source of failure.

It will score political points. Biden has been office approximately one month. Thus, broad and sweeping Green Legislation has been rammed through Congress, and massive ground infrastructure projects have been implemented, power grids have been completely rearranged -- all because of the Green New Deal. It's truly impressive if you think about it. Some people have been stating over the last four years that Trump needed more time to undo the eight years of the Obama administration, but along comes Biden and in four weeks--not because of a once-in-a-century storm--completely disrupted an entire state's power grid. It's just astounding the power this man has.
Last edited by luckyone on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:04 pm

The single source of failure is Texas independence and incompetency.

Wind Turbines still work in Massachusetts when they get cold weather. Maybe those folks in Texas have never thought about winterizing their windmills.

But it seems winterizing the windmills was not the only thing requiring winterization.

The grid began preparing for the storm a week ahead of time, but it reached a breaking point early Monday as conditions worsened and knocked power plants offline, ERCOT President Bill Magness said. Some wind turbine generators were iced, but nearly twice as much power was wiped out at natural gas and coal plants. Forcing controlled outages was the only way to avert an even more dire blackout in Texas, Magness said.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 782380002/

So it appears in trying to be independent/cheap, the state sacrificed lives and comfort as deaths from cold and CO poisoning continue to rise.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Note that El Paso is on the Socialist Antifa West Coast Elite grid and hasn't had any problems--it must not have any renewable energy supplying that grid :banghead: . It's unbelievable what republicans will lie about, even when it serves no purpose whatsoever, but here we are. Here's a montage of those same half wits, including everyone's favorite porno pirate, ragging on California for...not being able to keep up with energy demand:

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/13616 ... y4SoJS432U
I don't take responsibility at all
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
The single source of failure is Texas independence and incompetency.

Wind Turbines still work in Massachusetts when they get cold weather. Maybe those folks in Texas have never thought about winterizing their windmills.

But it seems winterizing the windmills was not the only thing requiring winterization.

The grid began preparing for the storm a week ahead of time, but it reached a breaking point early Monday as conditions worsened and knocked power plants offline, ERCOT President Bill Magness said. Some wind turbine generators were iced, but nearly twice as much power was wiped out at natural gas and coal plants. Forcing controlled outages was the only way to avert an even more dire blackout in Texas, Magness said.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 782380002/

So it appears in trying to be independent/cheap, the state sacrificed lives and comfort as deaths from cold and CO poisoning continue to rise.

It's just such a straight up lie--you know what why am I even surprised any more. Here is a map of all the energy producing windmills in the US. Wait no it's all the outages in the US. Almost exclusively in Texas, excluding El Paso which is on a different grid. MUST BE THE WINDMILLS. Jesus.

Image
I don't take responsibility at all
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or tack it on to this Texas winter thread, but we do have a nomination for "Asshole of the Year" 2021 already:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-boyd-m ... r-outages/

This is what Republican "leadership" has come to this days. Maybe most don't use the exact the words he used, but they certainly advocate for policies consistent with what this dude was saying.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
Okie
Posts: 4251
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:51 pm

Wow looks like all you Texas posters here are trying to make all those California transplants feel right at home with power outages, eh :boggled:

Okie
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:59 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Not sure if this deserves its own thread or tack it on to this Texas winter thread, but we do have a nomination for "Asshole of the Year" 2021 already:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-boyd-m ... r-outages/

This is what Republican "leadership" has come to this days. Maybe most don't use the exact the words he used, but they certainly advocate for policies consistent with what this dude was saying.

This is 100% on brand for the GOP. I'm just surprised he resigned. He'll probably be the keynote speaker at CPAC if he can spout off some unhinged anti-Semitic conspiracy theories involving a laser. Here's Rick Perry saying really the same thing, along with more easily refutable lies about wind/solar: Texans don't need no power because freedom!

Rick Perry says Texans would rather be without power for days over more federal oversight
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/rick-p ... -oversight
I don't take responsibility at all
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:00 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Note that El Paso is on the Socialist Antifa West Coast Elite grid and hasn't had any problems--it must not have any renewable energy supplying that grid :banghead: . It's unbelievable what republicans will lie about, even when it serves no purpose whatsoever, but here we are. Here's a montage of those same half wits, including everyone's favorite porno pirate, ragging on California for...not being able to keep up with energy demand:

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/13616 ... y4SoJS432U

And in the upset of the century, he didn't double down.
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1361833252567179266
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The single source of failure is Texas independence and incompetency.

Wind Turbines still work in Massachusetts when they get cold weather. Maybe those folks in Texas have never thought about winterizing their windmills.

But it seems winterizing the windmills was not the only thing requiring winterization.

The grid began preparing for the storm a week ahead of time, but it reached a breaking point early Monday as conditions worsened and knocked power plants offline, ERCOT President Bill Magness said. Some wind turbine generators were iced, but nearly twice as much power was wiped out at natural gas and coal plants. Forcing controlled outages was the only way to avert an even more dire blackout in Texas, Magness said.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 782380002/

So it appears in trying to be independent/cheap, the state sacrificed lives and comfort as deaths from cold and CO poisoning continue to rise.

It's just such a straight up lie--you know what why am I even surprised any more. Here is a map of all the energy producing windmills in the US. Wait no it's all the outages in the US. Almost exclusively in Texas, excluding El Paso which is on a different grid. MUST BE THE WINDMILLS. Jesus.

Image


https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
luckyone
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:06 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Note that El Paso is on the Socialist Antifa West Coast Elite grid and hasn't had any problems--it must not have any renewable energy supplying that grid :banghead: . It's unbelievable what republicans will lie about, even when it serves no purpose whatsoever, but here we are. Here's a montage of those same half wits, including everyone's favorite porno pirate, ragging on California for...not being able to keep up with energy demand:

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/13616 ... y4SoJS432U

And in the upset of the century, he didn't double down.
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1361833252567179266

Likely a bit of mea culpa after January 6 blew up in his face. Trying to look softer and apologetic to his electorate. Maybe now his daughter will let him kiss her on the cheek.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Note that El Paso is on the Socialist Antifa West Coast Elite grid and hasn't had any problems--it must not have any renewable energy supplying that grid :banghead: . It's unbelievable what republicans will lie about, even when it serves no purpose whatsoever, but here we are. Here's a montage of those same half wits, including everyone's favorite porno pirate, ragging on California for...not being able to keep up with energy demand:

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/13616 ... y4SoJS432U

And in the upset of the century, he didn't double down.
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1361833252567179266

Yeah who is this and where did they take Rafael?
I don't take responsibility at all
 
LMP737
Posts: 6249
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:08 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Texas governor Greg Abbott blames wind frozen wind turbines for power outages.

Roughly the state of Texas is powered mostly by Natural Gas (80% of the state), wind turbines( 5-10%)

Sources of numbers:
https://news.yahoo.com/texas-governor-b ... 29586.html
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16 ... es-frozen/

Will people believe this? I find it very hard to believe that wind turbines are the single source of failure.


This once again exposes the fundamental dishonesty of Fox "News". There are going to be people in other parts of the country or even in Texas for that matter, who will see this and view it as the gospel truth because it fits their world view.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
PHLspecial
Topic Author
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
So it appears in trying to be independent/cheap, the state sacrificed lives and comfort as deaths from cold and CO poisoning continue to rise.

Less regulation would be "better" for the economy.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11362
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Screw 'em
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7835
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 pm

 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7835
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
The single source of failure is Texas independence and incompetency.

Wind Turbines still work in Massachusetts when they get cold weather. Maybe those folks in Texas have never thought about winterizing their windmills.

But it seems winterizing the windmills was not the only thing requiring winterization.



https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 782380002/

So it appears in trying to be independent/cheap, the state sacrificed lives and comfort as deaths from cold and CO poisoning continue to rise.

It's just such a straight up lie--you know what why am I even surprised any more. Here is a map of all the energy producing windmills in the US. Wait no it's all the outages in the US. Almost exclusively in Texas, excluding El Paso which is on a different grid. MUST BE THE WINDMILLS. Jesus.

Image


https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:24 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
It's just such a straight up lie--you know what why am I even surprised any more. Here is a map of all the energy producing windmills in the US. Wait no it's all the outages in the US. Almost exclusively in Texas, excluding El Paso which is on a different grid. MUST BE THE WINDMILLS. Jesus.

Image


https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15045
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:


Very cogent piece - doesn’t sound excuse Hannity et al from blaming green tech when it has fuck all to do with the situation. Germany would like a word with them on that...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15045
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:27 am

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


Well there are a lot of unfeeling people in the country, that is not in dispute. It shows in a lot of our policy decisions.

It gets even worse too - this mayor in Texas just resigned after basically telling freezing citizens to go screw themselves:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 2.html?amp
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 am

Aaron747 wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


Well there are a lot of unfeeling people in the country, that is not in dispute. It shows in a lot of our policy decisions.

It gets even worse too - this mayor in Texas just resigned after basically telling freezing citizens to go screw themselves:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 2.html?amp

Yea but that Colorado City Mayor is 100% on brand conservative. Any time any blue state/Puerto Rico faced a natural disaster, Trump and the conservative loony bin told them in unison to get bent. That's their core ideology. Helping people is socialism and weakness.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7835
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 am

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
It's just such a straight up lie--you know what why am I even surprised any more. Here is a map of all the energy producing windmills in the US. Wait no it's all the outages in the US. Almost exclusively in Texas, excluding El Paso which is on a different grid. MUST BE THE WINDMILLS. Jesus.

Image


https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.



Except politicians control the purse strings. And as was brought up earlier. The Engineers had already identified the issue, and other politicians had brought the issue to the floor. But in this hyper-partisan world where the GOP sells out integrity and morals for cash from donors, the wrong items get tossed to the side.
So here we have a perfect example of the GOP working to destroy itself, but the people suffer because of their gross stupidity.


Look at the below disgraceful sellout. He ran for mayor to lead a city, and then told everyone to piss off. That shows some serious lack of leadership fundamentals that politics require.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-boyd-m ... r-outages/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:06 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.



Voters are voting for someone that made promises to work to fix things. Not sell out at the first sign of trouble.

Are you planning to bring it up to the GOP that cowardice and incompetence are required to run for office in the GOP ?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.


Yes, they can be blamed for their decisions, but you dont have to sit back and laugh as they suffer for those decisions - its part of basic humanity, it doesnt matter how someone got into a bad situation, you help them out anyway. You put them out when they are on fire even tho they were playing with matches. You give them heaters and blankets and help even when they didnt prepare initially.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15045
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:

Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.


Yes, they can be blamed for their decisions, but you dont have to sit back and laugh as they suffer for those decisions - its part of basic humanity, it doesnt matter how someone got into a bad situation, you help them out anyway. You put them out when they are on fire even tho they were playing with matches. You give them heaters and blankets and help even when they didnt prepare initially.


Somewhere along the way America established itself as a place where it can be socially acceptable to piss on those who are down. It’s shameful.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:33 am

casinterest wrote:
Voters are voting for someone that made promises to work to fix things.

That may be true in some places, but in many others, voters are only voting for people who promise to oppose stuff. Tell me one good thing that Republicans did since 2010 that benefitted their states. The only thing they ever ran on was repeal Obamacare; when that didn't work, it was to stop migrant caravans; when Trump got elected, the only major bill they passed was the tax cuts (you know, after insisting on balancing the budget); now that they're a hair's breadth from controlling Congress again, the Green New Deal is the boogeyman, even though it has no realistic chance of being enacted. And they'll pitch themselves as those who will stop "the radical liberal agenda", even though it's stalled because there's barely a margin with which to pass it.

casinterest wrote:
Are you planning to bring it up to the GOP that cowardice and incompetence are required to run for office in the GOP ?

You can have intelligent people run for office; only the very astute ones can feed people lies and/or contradicting info and make them believe they're real. Want a case study? Kansas, 2014 election.

Incumbent governor Sam Brownback is suffering from low approval ratings due to his "experiment" but his ad insisted "the sun is shining in Kansas, and don't let anyone else tell you different". In other words, "don't believe what you see or hear; we're doing well".

Meanwhile, incumbent Senator Pat Roberts is facing backlash because he's not residing in Kansas, so in order to turn around the campaign and shift attention away from him, he starts with the woes of Kansans and blames Obama, yet there's no mention of his own proposals; only that he'll be there to stop Obama's policies.

But as you can see: two politicians from the same state pushing contradicting messages: one ignores reality; the other blames someone else, even though no major policy had been enacted that would hurt the Kansan economy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14414
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:26 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Note that El Paso is on the Socialist Antifa West Coast Elite grid and hasn't had any problems--it must not have any renewable energy supplying that grid :banghead: . It's unbelievable what republicans will lie about, even when it serves no purpose whatsoever, but here we are. Here's a montage of those same half wits, including everyone's favorite porno pirate, ragging on California for...not being able to keep up with energy demand:

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/13616 ... y4SoJS432U


The Republicans in question aren't smart enough to be behind this. They're just repeating talking points sent to them by fossil fuel lobbies.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7835
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:

Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.


Yes, they can be blamed for their decisions, but you dont have to sit back and laugh as they suffer for those decisions - its part of basic humanity, it doesnt matter how someone got into a bad situation, you help them out anyway. You put them out when they are on fire even tho they were playing with matches. You give them heaters and blankets and help even when they didnt prepare initially.


Straw man, I never, ever “laughed” at them, but the record low in Houston is 5F, NINETY years ago. Anyone who thinks this is a unique event hasn’t looked into the history. People all across the South bet, every year that instead of being prepared for severe cold or hurricane because, you know, money and sometimes they lose. Just like anywhere, the immediate cost of preparing versus the low risk of not being prepared, money in the pocket wins every time. Politicians blinked at running up the electric rates to winterize power plants and gas lines; power companies and regulators going back 50 years decided low rates was a better sell than reliability; homeowners saved money by not fully insulting or buying adequate heat systems thinking, “it’s Texas, what’s the chances?” Well, they lost. This isn’t laughing at them, it’s stating some facts about risk, reward, balancing trade-offs.

The ERCOT system goes back to WW II and that’s way before Republicans ran Texas. Please stop seeing every event thru “hate Republicans” view.

http://www.ercot.com/about/profile/history/
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:35 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.


Yes, they can be blamed for their decisions, but you dont have to sit back and laugh as they suffer for those decisions - its part of basic humanity, it doesnt matter how someone got into a bad situation, you help them out anyway. You put them out when they are on fire even tho they were playing with matches. You give them heaters and blankets and help even when they didnt prepare initially.


Straw man, I never, ever “laughed” at them, but the record low in Houston is 5F, NINETY years ago. Anyone who thinks this is a unique event hasn’t looked into the history. People all across the South bet, every year that instead of being prepared for severe cold or hurricane because, you know, money and sometimes they lose. Just like anywhere, the immediate cost of preparing versus the low risk of not being prepared, money in the pocket wins every time. Politicians blinked at running up the electric rates to winterize power plants and gas lines; power companies and regulators going back 50 years decided low rates was a better sell than reliability; homeowners saved money by not fully insulting or buying adequate heat systems thinking, “it’s Texas, what’s the chances?” Well, they lost. This isn’t laughing at them, it’s stating some facts about risk, reward, balancing trade-offs.


All Im hearing from you is “hahahahahahahhahahahaahahhaahahahaha”.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5811
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:27 am

Ah yes, the beauty of leaving the responsibility of critical energy infrastructure to profit and greed-driven corporations.

Add to that climate change-induced extreme weather events and what could possibly go wrong?
It must be those darn liberals and their wind turbines...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1609
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:45 am

Difficult to feel much pity for a state that constantly boasts about possibly seceding, opposes federal assistance for other states after disasters, but then immediately goes begging for assistance when it gets cold and they get 4 inches of snow.

The issue here isn’t that this was an unprecedented event. Not only was it predictable, but the government was warned that they would face these problems in the future. And rather than heed the advice, or even just do nothing, they literally took steps to make it worse. Then had the nerve to BOAST about it.

The leadership should stick to their guns, and reject any outside assistance. They refused to adhere to those outside requirements and isolated intentionally, so I’d hate to see them bow to those coastal elites and socialists.

I feel for the people, but if you vote in morons...guess who represents you?
 
PHLspecial
Topic Author
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


So, voters shouldn’t be blamed for their decisions? Risk without consequences is like Heaven without hell.

Think about what you said one vote decides for everyone? I'm pretty sure that was no landslide vote. That vote does not represent how all Texans think.
 
PHLspecial
Topic Author
Posts: 893
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:27 am

Francoflier wrote:
Ah yes, the beauty of leaving the responsibility of critical energy infrastructure to profit and greed-driven corporations.

Add to that climate change-induced extreme weather events and what could possibly go wrong?
It must be those darn liberals and their wind turbines...

Hey it's sink or swim right? The Government owes you nothing while we pay taxes for your salary. But I is dumb liberal
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15045
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:36 am

FGITD wrote:
Difficult to feel much pity for a state that constantly boasts about possibly seceding, opposes federal assistance for other states after disasters, but then immediately goes begging for assistance when it gets cold and they get 4 inches of snow.

The issue here isn’t that this was an unprecedented event. Not only was it predictable, but the government was warned that they would face these problems in the future. And rather than heed the advice, or even just do nothing, they literally took steps to make it worse. Then had the nerve to BOAST about it.

The leadership should stick to their guns, and reject any outside assistance. They refused to adhere to those outside requirements and isolated intentionally, so I’d hate to see them bow to those coastal elites and socialists.

I feel for the people, but if you vote in morons...guess who represents you?


Unfortunately for urban Texans, who are by and large educated, sane, and vote blue/independent, there is no recourse in this situation but to say ‘we told ya so’.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15045
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:39 am

Meanwhile, here is Senator Cruz leaving his constituents literally out in the cold. Can’t make this shit up:

https://twitter.com/juan_gomez18/status ... 73154?s=21

https://twitter.com/davidshuster/status ... 82209?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:50 am

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


I'm trying to dredge up an ounce of sympathy for the people hit by these outages, but I just can't, you get the govt you vote for.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4616
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:44 am

It's almost as if Texas has been governed by George W Bush, Rick Perry and Greg Abott for the last 25+ years....
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
johnboy
Posts: 3150
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Meanwhile, here is Senator Cruz leaving his constituents literally out in the cold. Can’t make this shit up:

https://twitter.com/juan_gomez18/status ... 73154?s=21

https://twitter.com/davidshuster/status ... 82209?s=21



Calgarians normally fly to sunnier climes in the freezing winter months. :airplane:
 
CometII
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 am

There is something to be said that it "appears" that the states which have the most structural problems are states which have basically have had one party rule for a significant period of time (Texas with an R and California with a D). California many feel is being crushed by too much government control, and one could argue that in Texas the problem is too little government oversight. It would be interesting if Americans in the states reminded themselves that keeping politicians honest and on their toes by the threat of real alternation of power. When a political party feels unopposed, just like in Communism, there is no incentive to provide a good service. Californians and Texans could do well to perhaps consider trying something different to keep the system healthy.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:


Very cogent piece - doesn’t sound excuse Hannity et al from blaming green tech when it has fuck all to do with the situation. Germany would like a word with them on that...


What word? Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021- ... -disaster/
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:34 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:


Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.


so.. which " ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants" powered up to safe the grid in the 15 seconds the critical occurrence lasted, caused by an overloaded Substation in Croatia, that has nothing to do whatsoever with the method of power generation?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
JJJ
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:35 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:


Very cogent piece - doesn’t sound excuse Hannity et al from blaming green tech when it has fuck all to do with the situation. Germany would like a word with them on that...


What word? Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021- ... -disaster/


It was avoided because the safewards in place worked as intended.

Texas voted to NOT winterize their grid a few years ago and this happened. Blaming windpower when most of the shortage came from fossil plants is just an ideologically convenient escape plan that doesn't stand the minimum scrutiny.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:40 am

JJJ wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Very cogent piece - doesn’t sound excuse Hannity et al from blaming green tech when it has fuck all to do with the situation. Germany would like a word with them on that...


What word? Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021- ... -disaster/


Blaming windpower when most of the shortage came from fossil plants is just an ideologically convenient escape plan that doesn't stand the minimum scrutiny.


apparently Windpower even exceeded predicted output slightly.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
JJJ
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am

tommy1808 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:

What word? Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021- ... -disaster/


Blaming windpower when most of the shortage came from fossil plants is just an ideologically convenient escape plan that doesn't stand the minimum scrutiny.


apparently Windpower even exceeded predicted output slightly.

best regards
Thomas


https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16 ... es-frozen/

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,”

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,”
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:08 pm

JJJ wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Blaming windpower when most of the shortage came from fossil plants is just an ideologically convenient escape plan that doesn't stand the minimum scrutiny.


apparently Windpower even exceeded predicted output slightly.

best regards
Thomas


https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16 ... es-frozen/

“It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system,”

“Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,”


...and who needs gas when it is cold anyways.

It is flat out amazing how much fear is generated by websites banking on people not understanding how power grids work. Or that a hundreds of MW power station dropping of the net is real problem to grid stability, while, while renewable sources falling short of predicted output, that tends to be right on the money ~one hour out with enough time to bring backups online, are not. Like ever.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm

moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

https://twitter.com/ForHD65/status/1362055368956805124

They killed a bill 5 years ago looking to winterize the grid.


Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


As long as it isn’t happening to them, they don’t care. When it does, they’re the victims and expect support from the government. Someone wrote an OP/ED on CNN and said “this isn’t the way America is supposed to function.” After all, we’re only the wealthiest first world democracy in ehuman history on paper. Realistically? Not so much.
 
Sokes
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:08 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Europe was very close to a major blackout on January 8, avoided only thanks to ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants.

https://www.thegwpf.com/8-january-2021- ... -disaster/



tommy1808 wrote:
so.. which " ideologically defective nuclear and fossil-fuel fired power plants" powered up to safe the grid in the 15 seconds the critical occurrence lasted, caused by an overloaded Substation in Croatia, that has nothing to do whatsoever with the method of power generation?

best regards
Thomas


To quote:
"The cause was apparently a power failure in Romania. According to the Austrian blackout expert Herbert Saurugg, it was the second most serious major incident in the European network to date.
...
According to Wien Energie, the electricity grids are exposed to ever greater fluctuations. The number of emergency operations has increased from around 15 to up to 240 per year in recent years.
...
Germany cannot assume that we are somehow being supplied from other European countries if we do not have enough electricity, ”says VIK managing director Christian Seyfert.

As a result of the “phasing out of nuclear energy and coal power”, a considerable amount of secured output will be shut down “without replacement” in Germany in the coming years, according to Seyfert. "
One should assume that a power failure in Romania (or Croatia, who knows which one is true) doesn't lead to French industries shutting down operations."

Why do you doubt that removing more and more conventional power makes the grid less stable?
Lots of investment in the grid made it stable so far. But there will be a tipping point.

I believe coal plants always have a steam reserve to be able to react to frequency fluctuations. I don't know how to compensate this. Spinning wheel, batteries and pumped storage comes to mind. But I believe even pumped storage takes several seconds to react.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Voters are voting for someone that made promises to work to fix things.
================================================

That may be true in some places, but in many others, voters are only voting for people who promise to oppose stuff. Tell me one good thing that Republicans did since 2010 that benefitted their states. The only thing they ever ran on was repeal Obamacare; when that didn't work, it was to stop migrant caravans; when Trump got elected, the only major bill they passed was the tax cuts (you know, after insisting on balancing the budget); now that they're a hair's breadth from controlling Congress again, the Green New Deal is the boogeyman, even though it has no realistic chance of being enacted. And they'll pitch themselves as those who will stop "the radical liberal agenda", even though it's stalled because there's barely a margin with which to pass it.


The issue is that the GOP has become so good as gaslighting, that the politicians are running on platforms of fixing things by not spending money on the people. The one thing most folks never understand about taxes at the state level is that all of that goes back into the community so you have to be willing to vote for people that want to get the job done correctly, and not just those that bluster about it.

The GOP in my opinion continues to go into a cult level worship of officials that say all the wrong things, but make people believe they are fixing things. It still does not excuse the fact that when the going gets tough the GOP seems to fall apart and blame everyone else instead of pulling themselves up and working to get out of the issue.

This thread is testimony to the failures of republican leadership in Texas.

einsteinboricua wrote:
But as you can see: two politicians from the same state pushing contradicting messages: one ignores reality; the other blames someone else, even though no major policy had been enacted that would hurt the Kansan economy.


This still goes to the point that the GOP is running from the requirements of leadership. They deflect and gaslight. These are not leadership qualities.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13564
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas governor blames Green new deal for power outage

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
moo wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Democracy happens, the voters elected representatives who chose cost over winterization. They choose to save money, as winter events are rare in TX, and lost. Pretty simple trade-offs really. No one should bail them out, least of all the clown show we call politics or worse the Congress.


Seriously, is “not giving a toss about your fellow countrypeople” an actual national sport in the US? The levels to which Americans seem to go just to be able to say “sucks to be you” or “told ya so” to another American is simply astonishing.


I'm trying to dredge up an ounce of sympathy for the people hit by these outages, but I just can't, you get the govt you vote for.



I have a lot sympathy for ~50% of them. +-3%. Texas is close to becoming purple/blue, and this failure of leadership may push people closer to that era.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bpatus297 and 33 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos