Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Gov Cuomo fall from grace

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm

So Gov Andrew Cuomo the hero of the liberal news media and liberals in general and winner of an Emmy for his Covid 19 response and even wrote a book while killing people in nursing homes with his awesome leadership. I have to admit though I fell for it initially myself but true to form and like the rest of the Cuomo family he is a bully and incompetent. I for one am glad to see it imploding on him after Hollywood gushed all over this fool. Now the FBI is involved lets see where this goes.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/andrew-c ... a5db9ea439

dtw2hyd

Re: Gov Cuomo fall from grace

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:34 pm

If people in nursing homes are dying, it is on CDC and experts, not on anybody else.

No visitors - residents died. Staff stayed in the facility - still residents died.

If NY under counted deaths, sure he should be held responsible, if the drama is about deaths are in which bucket, it is just drama.

Since the first case of COVID-19 experts are making U-Turn after U-Turn with their guidance. Cannot make progress with u-turns.
If you cannot follow them fast enough in making u-turns, you are anti-science.

Peddling hypothesis as scientific facts and not finishing scientific study to prove the hypothesis.

Bureaucrats and frontline health care workers repeating written scripts. I am sure real scientists are scratching their heads listening/reading these statements.

There is significant evidence this is airborne disease, treating surfaces with Clorox is not going to make it go away.
All posts are just opinions.

Aaron747

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:38 pm

If Cuomo had any integrity he would resign, but he won't. He and Abbott win the 2020-21 gubernatorial loser sweepstakes, with DeSantis and Newsom bringing up the rear.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Cuomo's team should have reported the numbers when they had them. The issue is that the Nursing home residents caught the disease in a facility and then were transported to hospitals for final care.
Cuomo's teams coverups never should have happened. the Truth always is better than the lie. Because the lie makes people angrier. Especially when it results in coercing others to lie. Now people are really angry at Cuomo and he and his team deserve the fallout. They are not infallible, but the people of New York will make their opinions heard I am sure.

Should it mean resignation? I am not sure without more investigations.
Should there be an investigation into this whole issue ? Yes,

Cuomo will have to answer for his behavior, and he at least admits his wrongdoings. This is far better than other politicians that are still being gushed over ,even after their atrocious behavior.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

NIKV69

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:32 pm

I loved him and voted for him twice. I was warned about how he really was by someone that would have info on that matter. In the end they were right.

I doubt he will resign in fact I'm sure he won't resign and he will probably run again and win.

NY really is a shell of what it used to be. I mean when Diblasio is owing you and happens to be right you need to take a look in the mirror.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Virtual737

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm

I can understand why such allegations would lead to calls for resignation if proved. What I don't understand is why a politicians actions (and inactions) which directly led to many thousands of deaths didn't warrant anything at all.

Kill some people with your incompetence and you're fine. Miscount how many people were killed and you're out.

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm

stratosphere wrote:
So Gov Andrew Cuomo the hero of the liberal news media and liberals in general and winner of an Emmy for his Covid 19 response and even wrote a book while killing people in nursing homes with his awesome leadership. I have to admit though I fell for it initially myself but true to form and like the rest of the Cuomo family he is a bully and incompetent. I for one am glad to see it imploding on him after Hollywood gushed all over this fool. Now the FBI is involved lets see where this goes.

You realize it's the liberal news media that is first and foremost reporting all of this right, including the very liberal link you posted? That's what happens when you're not in a cult. You can criticize bad behavior and not worry about his flying monkeys coming to kill you and your family. Try it some time.
I don't take responsibility at all

stratosphere
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

You realize it's the liberal news media that is first and foremost reporting all of this right, including the very liberal link you posted? That's what happens when you're not in a cult. You can criticize bad behavior and not worry about his flying monkeys coming to kill you and your family. Try it some time.

Actually the MSM is 90% of the time reporting Sen Ted Cruz going to Cancun during the crisis in TX even though congress is on recess so I don't know what they expect Cruz to do but it is bad optics for sure. A Gov has much more direct responsibility in a state.. So I am calling Cuomo out and also Gov Abbott as well.

seb146

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm

I am seeing this problem on the West Coast. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they follow the advice of medical experts, righties make stuff up about how they are so oppressed and everything needs to open because (insert failed reason here) but when things do open and people get sick and die in high numbers, righties start complaining about "why didn't the governor do something to protect us?"

Recall that Republicans were saying "well, these covid deaths are not being counted correctly" so when Cuomo counts them in some other way, Republicans point out that he is doing it wrong.

Whether Cuomo is right or wrong, just remember there is no right answer to satisfy the GOP.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Okie

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm

More trouble with Fault Lines. They are pretty prevalent in NY and DC. Always someone else's fault. :yes:

I suppose aoc is suffering PTSD after witnessing a near death experience of Cuomo's career. :roll:

Okie

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:50 pm

stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Actually the MSM is 90% of the time reporting Sen Ted Cruz going to Cancun during the crisis in TX even though congress is on recess so I don't know what they expect Cruz to do but it is bad optics for sure. A Gov has much more direct responsibility in a state.. So I am calling Cuomo out and also Gov Abbott as well.

You're either lying or not paying attention. This was covered long before Cruz went to CUN which was only two days ago.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
I am seeing this problem on the West Coast. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they follow the advice of medical experts, righties make stuff up about how they are so oppressed and everything needs to open because (insert failed reason here) but when things do open and people get sick and die in high numbers, righties start complaining about "why didn't the governor do something to protect us?"

Recall that Republicans were saying "well, these covid deaths are not being counted correctly" so when Cuomo counts them in some other way, Republicans point out that he is doing it wrong.

Whether Cuomo is right or wrong, just remember there is no right answer to satisfy the GOP.

This post is insensitive and tone deaf, this isn't a right versus left thing. People are dead and he lied about it.

I am surprised it took AOC so long to get on record. Her and the Governor have no love lost.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/19/aoc-calls ... SocialFlow

bennett123

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm

stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Surely the Gov has powers even when Congress is in recess.

flyguy89

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:54 pm

About time. Anyone who has the gall to put out a book 6 months into a global pandemic about their leadership during said pandemic needs to take a seat. Also, the weird love fest between him and CNN and his brother's show there was just...cringe. It's like they actually wanted to prove Trump's characterization of the media correct.

petertenthije

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:20 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
This post is insensitive and tone deaf, this isn't a right versus left thing. People are dead and he lied about it.

Interesting you started caring about that. You never cared when trump made similar and worse mistakes.
And THAT’s why stories like these inevitably turn political.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

MaverickM11

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am surprised it took AOC so long to get on record. Her and the Governor have no love lost.

Lol who do you think you are fooling whining about “insensitive and tone deaf” :rotfl:

Aesma

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Of course it is left versus right. Compare how the left is handling it vs how the right handled (still handles) Trump's total incompetence and criminality.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Aesma wrote:
Of course it is left versus right. Compare how the left is handling it vs how the right handled (still handles) Trump's total incompetence and criminality.

Republicans are looking for payback.
Democrats cannot unite 90% of the time.
"Experts" here doesn't like dissenting opinion, which is weird and totally against scientific method,

So Cuomo's survival chances are real bleak.

LabQuest

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You're speaking to a political-zealot robot, that's why.

luckyone

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:37 pm

LabQuest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Actually what you have there is two robots.

Aaron747

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Not surprising at all - AOC is not a knee jerk reactionary, checks her facts and stands for holding people to account.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

stratosphere
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:20 am

bennett123 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Surely the Gov has powers even when Congress is in recess.

Cruz is a Sen not a Gov

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:30 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Republicans are looking for payback.
Democrats cannot unite 90% of the time.
"Experts" here doesn't like dissenting opinion, which is weird and totally against scientific method,

So Cuomo's survival chances are real bleak.

I wouldn't say that at all. His approval rating has barely budged, even though it wasn't particularly high to begin with, and he's hard wired into the Albany party machinery. It would take a lot to take him down.

seb146

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:44 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Like how Republicans were so understanding when covid hit? Telling everyone it is fake news and the deaths are exaggerated and people thrown out of work should have been born rich...

NIKV69

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:45 am

luckyone wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Actually what you have there is two robots.

Oh yea I am GOPbot that voted for Cuomo. :sarcastic:

Aesma

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 pm

BTW it seems resigning over scandals is becoming a thing of the past. Depending on the scandal I might agree with it, for example here you can say Cuomo/his administration tried to look better politically, but he wasn't shovelling money in his pockets or something like that (or sending pics of his weiner to random women). As long as there is a recall system and of course regular elections, then voters can decide. And he should apologize.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

CometII

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 pm

The downfall of the USA is the political tribalism. Texas, California, and New York (and Florida too with DeSantis), four states where one party runs almost unopposed the wheels of state. Well, that's what you get when people don't even countenance voting another (sensible) political affiliation because they may have a bit of a different take on some issues than you do. Performance is more important than ideology at the end of the day.

Okie

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 pm

CometII wrote:
The downfall of the USA is the political tribalism. Texas, California, and New York (and Florida too with DeSantis), four states where one party runs almost unopposed the wheels of state. Well, that's what you get when people don't even countenance voting another (sensible) political affiliation because they may have a bit of a different take on some issues than you do. Performance is more important than ideology at the end of the day.

Yes of course, Utopia!!!!.

Unfortunately Cuomo is facing possible criminal charges it seems, I will wait for the Criminal investigation to be completed. If Cuomo voluntarily chooses to resign that is up to him.
No free pass on Obstruction of Justice or RICO charges last I checked.

Okie

seb146

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:30 pm

Okie wrote:
CometII wrote:

Yes of course, Utopia!!!!.

Unfortunately Cuomo is facing possible criminal charges it seems, I will wait for the Criminal investigation to be completed. If Cuomo voluntarily chooses to resign that is up to him.
No free pass on Obstruction of Justice or RICO charges last I checked.

Okie

The one term, twice impeached former president was able to get away with all kinds of crimes. This is, again, Democrats being held to an impossibly high standard. Maybe if Republicans walked the talk, I would be more on board with Cuomo facing punishment. But, because Republicans seem to love criminals, why bother investigating or charging Cuomo with anything?

SQ22

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:08 pm

May I remind you to provide a link to a source when stating facts? Besides the fact that this is required by forum rules, please also consider that not every (interested) reader of the thread is US based an familiar with the situation. Thanks.

Kiwirob

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:16 pm

Why are people making a big deal of this, rest homes are where people go to die, it’s the last stops before the end, if the end for some people came a little sooner what’s the harm in it??

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
BTW it seems resigning over scandals is becoming a thing of the past. Depending on the scandal I might agree with it, for example here you can say Cuomo/his administration tried to look better politically, but he wasn't shovelling money in his pockets or something like that (or sending pics of his weiner to random women). As long as there is a recall system and of course regular elections, then voters can decide. And he should apologize.

Only one party is held to any standards. Al Franken resigned over an untoward picture. Katie Hill resigned over a consensual affair. The QOP however makes it a practice to see how many ethics violations it can rack up and ignore as quickly as humanly possible.

bennett123

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Kiwirob

I hope that you don't run a care home.

stratosphere
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:56 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Only one party is held to any standards. Al Franken resigned over an untoward picture. Katie Hill resigned over a consensual affair. The QOP however makes it a practice to see how many ethics violations it can rack up and ignore as quickly as humanly possible.

Don't even go there dude.. If the democrats didn't have double standards they wouldn't have any standards. You have Swalwell on the intel committee after sleeping with a Chinese spy and is still there. There is plenty of grime in both parties. Don't even have to look far either.

apodino

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Back in mid 2020 when Cuomo was getting heaped with praise from all the Mainstream media sources, a lot of progressives were raising the red flags about the Nursing Home issues and were saying that Cuomo talked a good game, but did a lousy job of handling the situation. People like Krystal Ball, Ryan Grim, and David Sirota were all reporting on this. And it got largely ignored. Now, thanks to the hard work of New York Attorney General Letitia James (If you are a Progressive, you can't help but see her as a rising star in the Democratic Party), the lid has finally been blown off and what these progressives have been saying for months is finally coming to light and being reported by MSM. And Kudos to people like AOC, Kim, and James who are putting principle ahead of Party. We need more of these people in this country.

To Sebs point about the GOP. Yes of course the GOP would love to take Cuomo down for political reasons. But he is absolutely right to see that there is not as much accountability in the GOP as there is in the Democratic party. I believe there is a simple explanation. The Establishment GOP fears the Base. They are so terrified to get primaried and lose their jobs that even when Impeachment is the right thing to do (Which it was), or you have a nutjob like Majorie Taylor-Greene, they wont do anything because if they did it would cost them their careers. Just look at the censure jobs from state parties already in the impeachment aftermath. It is also why Alabama's GOP allowed a whacko like Roy Moore to get the nomination despite all the known baggage he carries. And sadly, the GOP base sees these people as the good guys and doesn't see that they are doing anything wrong. Thus the only thing you are held accountable for is going against the base.

On the Democratic side, its been the opposite. Progressives who are elected fear the establishment more than the Base. If you notice, people who are held accountable in the Democratic side, like Al Franken and Katie Brown, were progressives and the Establishment took the first opportunity when they made a mistake to pounce and ruin their careers (Wrongly I might add in both cases). This is changing slightly as the base is getting more and more restless of the establishment dems continually breaking promises. (No 15 dollar minimum wage, no 2000 dollar stimulus checks, etc) But the Establishment is still very much in charge of the Democratic party. Yes this smoking gun means that the light is on Cuomo and rightly so. But Cuomo is as establishment and corrupt and bought as they come in the Democratic party, and given the Machine that runs New York state politics, unless more and more stuff comes out, I think Cuomo is going to survive. So yes, people are holding him accountable from the left, but the establishment is still protecting him, and as I keep reminding you, the Establishment, not the base, runs the Democratic party, where as on the GOP side its the base running the party and not the establishment.

apodino

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:58 pm

And to add one thing to my last post. Look at what happened in Massachusetts when Alex Morse, a gay man, tried to topple Richie Neal, the chairman of the house ways and means committee. They smeared him big time with the most blatantly homophobic smears I have ever seen in a democratic primary. And they got away with it.

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:32 pm

stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Don't even go there dude.. If the democrats didn't have double standards they wouldn't have any standards. You have Swalwell on the intel committee after sleeping with a Chinese spy and is still there. There is plenty of grime in both parties. Don't even have to look far either.

Sure Jan. Meanwhile back in Crazytown you’ve got Maria Butina, nearly all of Giuliana’s shady associates, Erik Prince’s associates, the NRA, Trump’s extensive ties to the underworld going back decades, and on and on and on. It’s not even close. Can you name one standard or principle or ethic the GOP has? The only thing that drives them is grift and revenge.

johns624

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:52 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Why are people making a big deal of this, rest homes are where people go to die, it’s the last stops before the end, if the end for some people came a little sooner what’s the harm in it??
Cold up there in Norway, is it, or is it just you? It wasn't that they died, it was that they died by themselves and their families couldn't come and say goodbye because of the lockdowns. My mother and aunt died a few years ago in assisted living homes and I'm grateful every day that we could visit and spend time with them.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Because of this.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2021/ ... ad-vpx.cnn
There is a full video of Jan 29, 2021 Cuomo news conference where he explains his conundrum.

The "expert" advice in the USA is significantly deficient to deal with a pandemic, basically it is the least common denominator of science , cost and politics.

At the same time "experts" don't like if you question them or even suggest a better protocol.

He made the cardinal mistake.

LCDFlight

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:05 pm

stratosphere wrote:

It was pretty ridiculous from the outset that Gov. Cuomo somehow had a "good" reputation despite the horrible levels of deaths in New York state that were always known about. It is heartbreaking how many died. There was nothing "good" about the COVID performance of NY, NJ, CT, Massachusettes.

But this didn't stop the media from vilifying places like Florida, Texas and Sweden. This was about politics. The (numerical) fact is that New York did absolutely horribly on COVID, since day one, and also decided to destroy its own economy, after the COVID fight was already lost.

Some say that we must worship the great government men. They command us to stay in our homes, and keep kids out of school, rearranging our lives and economic future. Even though this had no provable impact on COVID death counts. It was about power, obedience and money.

COVID happened regardless - it doesn't care about politics. It made my skin crawl to imply Texas did hugely worse than the Northeast USA, or than Europe. People took it as self-evident, based on their emotions and feelings. But the numbers never supported this bedtime story! And they still don't.

stratosphere
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

It was pretty ridiculous from the outset that Gov. Cuomo somehow had a "good" reputation despite the horrible levels of deaths in New York state that were always known about. It is heartbreaking how many died. There was nothing "good" about the COVID performance of NY, NJ, CT, Massachusettes.

But this didn't stop the media from vilifying places like Florida, Texas and Sweden. This was about politics. The (numerical) fact is that New York did absolutely horribly on COVID, since day one, and also decided to destroy its own economy, after the COVID fight was already lost.

Some say that we must worship the great government men. They command us to stay in our homes, and keep kids out of school, rearranging our lives and economic future. Even though this had no provable impact on COVID death counts. It was about power, obedience and money.

COVID happened regardless - it doesn't care about politics. It made my skin crawl to imply Texas did hugely worse than the Northeast USA, or than Europe. People took it as self-evident, based on their emotions and feelings. But the numbers never supported this bedtime story! And they still don't.

Mistakes were made all over the globe. And so I think Trump Fd up ? Absolutely. But so did a lot of the world. No one seems to want to blame the one place that needs to be blamed which is China. They knew how bad it was and tried to silence it and anyone who tried to sound the alarm. But as usual they get a pass. Lets blame Trump as if he created Covid. But I've drifted too far off topic. Cuomo was the hero of the left and Hollywood now they are all silent. Hes a bully and now the world knows it. I hope his book tanks which im sure it will. And his brother Fredo I hope he gets canned from CNN hes a clown too as is Don Lemon. Ill grab the popcorn

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
But this didn't stop the media from vilifying places like Florida, Texas and ....

That is because they missed the first wave in the USA and had a chance to be better prepared based on the lessons from first wave states, but intentionally ignored.

While we are on skewing numbers...
Florida skewed the child infection numbers by counting 14+ as adults.
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/des ... s/2385631/

johns624

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:10 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
But this didn't stop the media from vilifying places like Florida, Texas and ....

That is because they missed the first wave in the USA and had a chance to be better prepared based on the lessons from first wave states, but intentionally ignored.

While we are on skewing numbers...
Florida skewed the child infection numbers by counting 14+ as adults.
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/des ... s/2385631/

+1. It's not like the "conservatives" haven't skewed numbers with the whole "died with" instead of "died with". I don't condone what Cuomo did and his national career is done, just like Rafael's.

Kiwirob

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 am

johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Cold up there in Norway, is it, or is it just you? It wasn't that they died, it was that they died by themselves and their families couldn't come and say goodbye because of the lockdowns. My mother and aunt died a few years ago in assisted living homes and I'm grateful every day that we could visit and spend time with them.

It’s been happening like this all over the world. My friend couldn’t return to NZ last year to see his father before he died, that’s just the reality we are living with today. I don’t see any issue with this.

AirWorthy99

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:43 am

LCDFlight wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Very very true. From the onset we all knew, that NY was the state that handled this worse. Of course all the blame was for Trump, but NY did not stop the subways for a very long time to clean, despite them locking down the city they never halted the subway system.

Add to the fact that thousands of people did die, because of State government policy issued directly by Cuomo.

Now, the very very least we have here is obstruction of Justice. There is a State legislator, on the record saying Cuomo on a phone call pushed for him to stay silent or not say. https://abcnews.go.com/US/cuomo-abuser- ... d=75997373

The Democrat party is the party of impeachment, and high morals and scruples, why aren't they demanding Cuomo resigns, or is impeached? At the very very least obstruction of justice this guy is culpable of. But they are silent, a few local politicians don't do. NY is one of the biggest states in the nation, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden should ask for him to resign.

But of course they won't, they only care about the other side abiding the law, it doesn't apply to them. We all know this.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

seb146

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:49 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Very very true. From the onset we all knew, that NY was the state that handled this worse. Of course all the blame was for Trump, but NY did not stop the subways for a very long time to clean, despite them locking down the city they never halted the subway system.

Add to the fact that thousands of people did die, because of State government policy issued directly by Cuomo.

Now, the very very least we have here is obstruction of Justice. There is a State legislator, on the record saying Cuomo on a phone call pushed for him to stay silent or not say. https://abcnews.go.com/US/cuomo-abuser- ... d=75997373

The Democrat party is the party of impeachment, and high morals and scruples, why aren't they demanding Cuomo resigns, or is impeached? At the very very least obstruction of justice this guy is culpable of. But they are silent, a few local politicians don't do. NY is one of the biggest states in the nation, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden should ask for him to resign.

But of course they won't, they only care about the other side abiding the law, it doesn't apply to them. We all know this.

A lot of the poor covid response is the result of no action by the previous administration. Recall that we were told there were only a dozen cases and that would be zero within a week and there was absolutely no factual information being shared. Add to that the previous administration's hatred for anyone with a (D) behind their name. Sure, Cuomo could have done things like cleaning subways and opening more hospitals, I would say the blame is 60/40 with the previous administration taking the majority of blame.

johns624

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It’s been happening like this all over the world. My friend couldn’t return to NZ last year to see his father before he died, that’s just the reality we are living with today. I don’t see any issue with this.
Until you're the one involved...

Aesma

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:03 am

So what did Florida and Texas do that NY didn't do to manage COVID better ? NY was hit very hard, it has nothing to do with the political response. In Florida and Texas they did as little as they could get away with.

MaverickM11

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:17 am

Aesma wrote:
So what did Florida and Texas do that NY didn't do to manage COVID better ? NY was hit very hard, it has nothing to do with the political response. In Florida and Texas they did as little as they could get away with.

TX/FL didn't do anything to manage COVID better--they just had months of additional time after NY's massive death spike for people to learn--or not--and to get the message out, and much lower population density. But then Kristi Noem in SD proved that you can still kill a #$&@ ton of people at NY rates if you're incompetent enough, even with a population density that is heavy on tumbleweeds.

LCDFlight

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:20 pm

Aesma wrote:

Absolutely true. Florida and Texas did as little as they could. And it worked out just as well as any other plan. Their performance in COVID was average. (around 130 deaths / 100,000 people). Improving people's quality of life and saving tremendous costs. Costs that would primarily be borne by the most vulnerable (younger, poorer people). People whose health was not really impacted by COVID in the first place. Florida and Texas didn't succumb to psychological or political panics that happened elsewhere.

In the end, scientists will convincingly simulate exactly what happened in 2020, and what was true and false of all that has been said. The panics and shutdowns did not improve the US's public health outcome in all likelihood. The US Covid panic probably saved around 100,000 people (mostly over age 80), but also killed 100,000 people of all ages. This will be debated, using science and data in the coming years.

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

TX/FL didn't do anything to manage COVID better--they just had months of additional time after NY's massive death spike for people to learn--or not--and to get the message out, and much lower population density. But then Kristi Noem in SD proved that you can still kill a #$&@ ton of people at NY rates if you're incompetent enough, even with a population density that is heavy on tumbleweeds.

This is true. SD will be a useful example to study. Their death rates were about equal to NY/NJ. Sturgis was an ignorant thing to do.